Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

New Coin Type: Platinum

Paralleling the stat squish, it may be a good idea to introduce a platinum coin into the game. Per the usual exchange rate, 100 Gold = 1 Platinum.

Are you asking to replace gold with platinum or just convert all gold into platinum at an exchange rate of 100 per?

If the former, there's almost no chance they'd do that because of things like the WoW token and Blizzard balance. If the latter then it'd have no real impact on anything other than moving the decimal point two spaces to the left.

Adding one more coin would help make things easier, i can't see why not.

Thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Are you asking to replace gold with platinum or just convert all gold into platinum at an exchange rate of 100 per?
    The idea is to add a new high-end coin above gold. So copper-silver-gold-platinum. Right now coins don't so much get converted to other coins (as they would have to be in real life as a physical commodity) but rather money-wealth is merely displayed in the most efficient way (all lower coins auto-converted). So the system wouldn't change - gold would merely be auto-converted into platinum the same way that silver is right now into gold.

The positive impacts of this is one that some gamers consider platinum "cooler" than gold and also, coin totals would be 1% of their current amount, making them more concrete, similar to the logic behind stat squishes, that the numbers are more "reasonable" or easier to wrap one's head around.
    Last edited by Yunzi; 2022-07-08 at 07:03 PM.

Nah, gold is too iconic.

Maybe add a gold bar icon for K and M though?

If we're going with platinum as the next stage of currency, then later on down the line would be whole ass diamonds. Not exactly a currency in itself, but would be an item that can be sold for 100 platinum or traded to players. Then again, thats a low key concept to what the wow token already does.

You know, I say we just get rid of silver and gold and do everything in copper. No conversation rates needed.

Joking aside, I don't think we really need to add plat IMO. Things are legible enough as is and I personally don't want to have to do a conversion of plat to gold because that just creates four curriencies we have to track.

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    You know, I say we just get rid of silver and gold and do everything in copper. No conversation rates needed.

Joking aside, I don't think we really need to add plat IMO. Things are legible enough as is and I personally don't want to have to do a conversion of plat to gold because that just creates four curriencies we have to track.
    Doesnt really complicate things too much imo, youd just be measuring everything in plat instead of gold.

My only gripe with it is that "gold" is iconic and "plat" sounds dumb. And that's plenty, honestly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by onesBronson View Post
    If we're going with platinum as the next stage of currency, then later on down the line would be whole ass diamonds. Not exactly a currency in itself, but would be an item that can be sold for 100 platinum or traded to players. Then again, thats a low key concept to what the wow token already does.
    Okay, no joke though, I would legit love the ability to buy stacks of gemstones with no stats, just vendor values, same buy/sell price, sold at every bank.

It adds nothing mechanically, really, but being able to click a 5000gp gem into a trade window just sounds satisfying.

Imagine putting them in gift boxes. Or organizing your money past gold cap as items in your bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Okay, no joke though, I would legit love the ability to buy stacks of gemstones with no stats, just vendor values, same buy/sell price, sold at every bank.

It adds nothing mechanically, really, but being able to click a 5000gp gem into a trade window just sounds satisfying.

Imagine putting them in gift boxes. Or organizing your money past gold cap as items in your bank.
    I've seen this done in another game before (I think Black Desert) but yeah, having a high value item vendor at a 1:1 ratio would be useful in managing vast amounts of currency and such. Use it to sell, trade, or move between alts. Then retrieve the gold at anytime by vendoring it once its all said and done.

Is this more "big numbers scary" stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Nah, gold is too iconic.

Maybe add a gold bar icon for K and M though?
    I like this idea better

My question is though what happens when people platinum cap and we're right back where we are now? We just going to keep adding a new material as a currency? What good does that do?
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Bettet to just remove two zeroes off of everything.

Your old silver? That's the amount of copper you now have
    Your copper? Rounded up as a plus one to your silver.
    Your gold? The last two digits are your silver now, the rest will be your new gold.

It would also help them be more honest about creatures actually dropping worthwhile stuff (or not).
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I'd honestly just want Blizzard to stop handing out quests and items that are worth more than 250g and 30g respectively. I know a little inflation is needed, but does the curve need to be this steep?
    I just did a world quest in Maldraxxis that gave me 273 gold. It took me about two minutes to complete. Back in Vanilla I was rich if I earned 50g pr. hour and most of us certainly didn't do that back then.

Again, I'm not saying we should go back to Vanilla in terms of gold, but Blizzard could at least stop handing it out like candy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just remove silver and copper, and make the lowest amount of dropped currency to 1 gold, even for level 1s, at this point it makes no sense to even have copper/silver anymore.

That would squish it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Is this more "big numbers scary" stuff?

I like this idea better

My question is though what happens when people platinum cap and we're right back where we are now? We just going to keep adding a new material as a currency? What good does that do?
    thats just a silly mentality to have,why even begin to adress an issue if you cant solve it perfectly for all eternity lol,why eat if im gonna get hungry again later? yeah adding a new coin would be a quick fix to all the huge gold numbers,and its not gonna get back to where we are anytime soon because not everyone is operating with milions of gold out there,also the gold to platinum conversion would be much larger than silver and coper,it wouldnt be 100 to 1 it would have to be much bigger like 100.000 to 1

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Just remove silver and copper, and make the lowest amount of dropped currency to 1 gold, even for level 1s, at this point it makes no sense to even have copper/silver anymore.

That would squish it a bit.
    I'd much rather them just squish the values personally. I'd rather keep copper and silver, and jjst have them be worth more. Like 1c being the equivalent of what is currently 1g

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    thats just a silly mentality to have,why even begin to adress an issue if you cant solve it perfectly for all eternity lol,why eat if im gonna get hungry again later? yeah adding a new coin would be a quick fix to all the huge gold numbers,and its not gonna get back to where we are anytime soon because not everyone is operating with milions of gold out there,also the gold to platinum conversion would be much larger than silver and coper,it wouldnt be 100 to 1 it would have to be much bigger like 100.000 to 1
    Having it be a different denomination would be a pointless complication.

Adding a new coin type solves the "big numbers" thing temporarily, but more importantly, so does just squishing the numbers entirely, or just adding gold bar icons, or gemstone vendor items. Platinum solves the problem almost as well, just worse.

Nobody cares about copper right now, and thats a problem all on its own. And that can be solved alongside the "big nunbers scary" thing, all at once. Everything worth 1g or lower is now 1c. Everything 100g is now 1s. Everything 10000g is now 1g.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2022-07-09 at 03:05 AM.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not needed, commas exist and it doesn't have to be an issue. Not everyone has millions of gold, some of my Guildies can barely afford Weekly supplies and even I've scoffed at my crap server charging until recently 90k for 291 Legendary Rings (I'm just a tight git though).

The biggest issue right now is that the variations in Gold in the playerbase from newer players with a few thousand to more modest players with a million to others with gold cap selling boosts. Sure prices go up each expansion but so does income. Someone like me who farms Mission Tables with have a vastly larger amount of gold leaving Shadowlands than someone who doesn't.

Removing passive gold income (mission tables) is a good fix to lower inflation. Paragon caches of Shadowlands are kept to the same level as BFA were. Callings give similar amount of gold (albeit Shadowlands is daily).

Ultimately you can make things cost more, but the best thing is to put gold sinks in the game. Expensive mounts, pets and toys, similar to the Brutosaur remove a lot of gold. Only the more hardcore would spend a million on a fancy recolour of a mount.

In my case I also think the WoW Token keeps my gold under control. I've paid for WoW for a long time now with the Tokens, bought mounts/pets/toys from the store and services as well. I know the Token is a whole world of mess/issues but that's how it affects me.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Copper and silver have been useless since Vanilla. Your idea would just push gold into the useless category too, as honestly under 100 gold is pretty meaningless amount these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    In old WoW there used to be an in-game command to re-scale currency. It's doable, but not worth it if throws the AH into disarray. Don't overestimate the math skills of the average human.

Much like the stat and level squishes, this is unnecessary. Instead of "41,909,551 gold, 71 silver, 42 copper" you simply display "41.91M gold".

Yeah I agree just removing copper/silver would be the move here and then adding the k/m denomination as an optional feature. Only time copper/silver for lowbies really matters is if it's your first account ever and even then, do you really want to 'nickel and dime' a new player instead of giving them a small boost early on? Any mobs that currently drop less than a gold would all just drop a gold. Beyond that, it's just rounding off other drops to gold (or just removing the change entirely).

Copper/silver is so rarely used as is (outside of FPs) and if mobs consistently drop a gold then, even as a lowbie, paying 'one gold piece' to fly anywhere (via FP) just adds to the flavor vs some nerd ass Flight Master busting out the abacus to calculate your gryphon/wyvern's mileage/food consumption before crosschecking it against the weight of your character and taxing you for 'hazard pay' based on how pointy your transmog is.

In short, remove copper/silver, cleans up the UI/presentation a bit and is an antiquated system that has had no real purpose in a long time XD

Sidenote, I'm sure coding this would be a nightmare and would break the backpack and somehow cause graphical errors :P