Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Shit's not even out yet, and people are already convinced it sucks. What else are studios supposed to think when the reasons given are *checks notes* black elves, beardless female dwarves, and Elrond with short hair?
    The squishing of thousands of years into only a few years, the changing of Galadrials characters (who also during this age has a daugher, kind of important since she is Arwens mother), the cutting of important characters to the story (Celeborn/Cirdan the shipwright are who?), the addition of 5 new characters in a story already crammed full of characters, adding a race (harfoots) that wasn't around yet and wouldn't be till the next age.

Might want to update your notes, because that is a lot of things to flub already, and considering how Amazon has handled other adaptations it doesn't inspire confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    that is a lot of things to flub already
    lol... Along with the "it's just fan-fiction!!!" nonsense, calling things that happen in literally every adaptations "flubs" has to be up their with the most out-of-touch takes imaginable.

And for reference, some omega-nerds compiled a massive list of the changes in Jackson's trilogy:
    https://www.theonering.com/complete-...-film-changes/

Your couple sentences is pretty weak.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2022-07-10 at 06:04 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The squishing of thousands of years into only a few years, the changing of Galadrials characters (who also during this age has a daugher, kind of important since she is Arwens mother), the cutting of important characters to the story (Celeborn/Cirdan the shipwright are who?), the addition of 5 new characters in a story already crammed full of characters, adding a race (harfoots) that wasn't around yet and wouldn't be till the next age.

Might want to update your notes, because that is a lot of things to flub already, and considering how Amazon has handled other adaptations it doesn't inspire confidence.
    Well, talking from the neutral (and barely interested) point of view, the only complaints and things talked about I see are those regarding skin colour and such. AKA "awmagad LotR went woke". That's like the only hate fuel I see around. Literally first comments under posters (those with hands) were "hmmm, suspicious skin colour".
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-07-10 at 05:58 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

lol... Along with the "it's just fan-fiction!!!" nonsense, calling things that happen in literally every adaptations "flubs" has to be up their with the most out-of-touch takes imaginable.
    ...lol, didnt realize every adaptation has Galadrial, Harfoots, etc. If the term flub offends you, maybe I should say fucked up, Amazon had fucked up a lot of things already considering they have given us only a few interviews and 2 minute long teasers. That is worrying.

If you are talking changes happening in every adaptation yes, there are changes, people know this. However there are varying degrees of changes that people allow, and the changes in Rings of Power are quite large, larger than some people are willing to allow in an adaptation (again don't adapt if you want to make a ton of changes, create, people are free to do so).

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Well, talking from the neutral (and barely interested) point of view, the only complaints and things talked about I see are those regarding skin colour and such. AKA "awmagad LotR went woke". That's like the only hate fuel I see around. Literally first comments under posters (those with hands) were "hmmm, suspicious skin colour".
    I mean maybe the most vocal, but I certainly have seen a lot of complaints about the things I have posted too, I certainly wasn't the first to point out the issues i listed either. Again not saying you have to be a 100% purist, but come on at least try to get close.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-07-10 at 06:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    People should just have zero expectations. I don't at all expect this to be good, I expect the story to be garbage because no one can do Tolkien faithfully at any level.

I can understand how someone can watch a trailer for something like this and be like "No, that's not for me."

What I do not understand is all the energy some people will spend hating on something that hasn't even been released yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    People should just have zero expectations. I don't at all expect this to be good, I expect the story to be garbage because no one can do Tolkien faithfully at any level.
    It's pretty funny that you tell other people they shouldn't have expectations...and then immediately list your own expectations.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Unfortunately those types tend to be the loudest people. Really across all mediums. I mean you can see it in WoW even.

Which in a way is sad because there are some very legitimate criticisms out there. Not just focusing on negativity but genuinely concerned because they want to enjoy the final product and for it to be better. But then there are those who lump the two together and just dismiss everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I can understand how someone can watch a trailer for something like this and be like "No, that's not for me."

What I do not understand is all the energy some people will spend hating on something that hasn't even been released yet
    Same, but that goes for the people defending as well.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    Same, but that goes for the people defending as well.
    Most of the people I've seen "defending" are more like "wait until it comes out before you make up your mind" or "If you don't like it...just don't watch it". It's not really comparable.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What I do not understand is all the energy some people will spend hating on something that hasn't even been released yet.
    It's almost as if People hate when a Franchise they enjoy has something new released that looks like garbage. Shocking right?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    It's almost as if People hate when a Franchise they enjoy has something new released that looks like garbage. Shocking right?
    Like I said, I can understand why people would not want to watch it. It's the amount of energy they put into hating it before the product has even been released that I question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the people I've seen "defending" are more like "wait until it comes out before you make up your mind" or "If you don't like it...just don't watch it". It's not really comparable.
    Well.. this thread begs to differ tbh. Some people here are relentless in their "defending" or however you want to call it.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

7+ Year Old Account
    Like I said, I can understand why people would not want to watch it. It's the amount of energy they put into hating it before the product has even been released that I question.
    I guess they genuinely feel attacked. All the time I see opinions, that "woke" changes ruin everything they like. Black elves in LotR, gay couples in MCU, or Jax going full revenge mode against white people in MK11. Some peeps genuinely feel they and their entertainment are under attack and being ruined in some kind of a culture war. So they respond like it is a war, with allergic and aggressive reactions to any changes from the source material.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-07-10 at 07:14 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Imagine believing that most of the NPCs regurgitating the same "go woke go broke!!!" horseshit in response to this stuff actually care about the franchises in question. Adorable.

snip
    Its like someone cant do some basic research or math, in its first week it had 1.6 billion minutes viewed over 3 episode thats well over 10 million average, by now that number is far higher that has watched the show, not many shows even reach that high in viewer numbers over thier whole lifespan, wheel of time has been out decades it has a niche fanbase and is very likely far smaller than 6 million, also book sales does not make everyone a fan.

Every LOTR sales are a small number compared to what would can get watching a film or tv series, books are not that popular, not even tv series or movie has to be the next big thing and the fantasy genre as a whole is difficult to get a large audience, only a handful of shows gets fairly large numbers.

Not everything is written in a book so adaptations have to happen so you are the one with no logic here, every single film/tv series is an adaptation to something as its never 100% to its source material.

Its guaranteed everyone here claiming its shit will still watch it all because you have nothing better to do and just want to moan about it more because you feel it doesnt fit the tolkien vision which can never happen in the first place, if you expect something you will always be dissapointed.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2022-07-10 at 07:20 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinerd View Post
    Well.. this thread begs to differ tbh. Some people here are relentless in their "defending" or however you want to call it.
    Got any examples? I've only really looked over the last couple of pages...but I haven't seen anyone being like "OMG, it's going to be the best show EVAR!"

- - - Updated - - -

I guess they genuinely feel attacked. All the time I see opinions, that "woke" changes ruin everything they like. Black elves in LotR, gay couples in MCU, or Jax going full revenge mode against white people in MK11. Some peeps genuinely feel they and their entertainment are under attack and being ruined in some kind of a culture war. So they respond like it is a war, with allergic and aggressive reactions to any changes from the source material.
    Well, ive got nothing good to say about people that feel "attacked" over black elves.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine believing that most of the NPCs regurgitating the same "go woke go broke!!!" horseshit in response to this stuff actually care about the franchises in question. Adorable.
    Certainly hasn't been panning out too well for Disney at the box office recently has it? Lightyear got crushed by a movie for kids with ADHD and Autism for fuck sake and doesn't try to push any sort of message. Thor is getting panned for being garbage too by even some of the biggest apologists for mediocrity that I've seen. Disney is getting embarrassed at the box office by a sequel to a movie that came out the year I was born! It's almost like if you make a good and entertaining film, people will go see it and they will praise it appropriately, a mediocre film will get criticized. It isn't the fact that things are "woke" either. It's that the writing is generally terrible and doesn't really build up new characters or ideas well enough to make them compelling for the existing fanbase to care about.

Amazon has failed to even provide compelling preview footage for their show, so I'm not sure how you expect people to react to changes that they are making in Tolkien's universe. All I see is a bunch of garbage CGI, characters being cast out of their canonical tropes (like Galadrial, who isn't a warrior) and black people cast as races that don't have melanin in Middle Earth in dwarves and elves. Amazon does what Disney does, attempts to play on nostalgia in an attempt to bait people in, and people often wind up being disappointed with the end result. Either they hit it out of the park, or this becomes one of the most expensive flops in TV history. Considering The Wheel of Time flopped with the reader fanbase of the series, I won't be at all surprised if this disappoints Tolkien purists even worse.

Certainly hasn't been panning out too well for Disney at the box office recently has it? Lightyear got crushed by a movie for kids with ADHD and Autism for fuck sake and doesn't try to push any sort of message. Thor is getting panned for being garbage too by even some of the biggest apologists for mediocrity that I've seen. Disney is getting embarrassed at the box office by a sequel to a movie that came out the year I was born! It's almost like if you make a good and entertaining film, people will go see it and they will praise it appropriately, a mediocre film will get criticized. It isn't the fact that things are "woke" either. It's that the writing is generally terrible and doesn't really build up new characters or ideas well enough to make them compelling for the existing fanbase to care about.
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/th...-office-total/

Can't say much for lightyear... but Thor is doing just fine at the Box Office

Thor: Love and Thunder will score the third-biggest box office opening of the year and the biggest ever for a Thor movie.

7+ Year Old Account
    Ye, I don't think Disney should be worried with MCU box office performance anytime soon. They got a well oiled machine going on, creating hyped movie after movie of a at least okay quality, and are yet to make a Morbius type of fuck up.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-07-10 at 08:39 PM.

… and black people cast as races that don't have melanin in Middle Earth in dwarves and elves.
    This is still the biggest wtf in all the complaints I’ve seen. A human of African descent and a human of Scandinavian descent have infinitely more in common physiologically than they do with dwarves or elves. These are mythical non-human creatures that didn’t undergo any of the evolutionary biology that Earth humans underwent. They are not natural beings, much less human. So why the actual fuck is anyone bitching about melanin?

I mean, the answer is simple. Racists don’t like people of color encroaching on their territory and will look for any excuse (no matter how ridiculous) to rationalize it.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-07-10 at 08:39 PM.