Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Young/non-nostalgic players, why did you choose to play classic/tbcc/wotlkc?

Basically I mean anyone who has not played the original version of vanilla/tbc/wrath so nostalgia isn't a factor, how did you get into playing the classic version right now (and probably upcoming wotlkc) and what are the reasons that have you coming back/stay?

I couldn't get into it in tbcc mainly due to gameplay reasons (because compared to modern games... uh. yeah...) but I've seen plenty of colleagues my age (early-mid 20s) take up an interest or already playing for some time now, with wotlk also getting a bit more spicy in terms of class and boss design (unless you play arcane mage xd) it genuinely piqued my interest as well.
    Last edited by Caprias; 2022-07-11 at 04:08 AM.

I had curiousity about quests of Vanilla. And It was BfA when the classic came out.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played it and play it now, but nostalgia has little to do with it. I just find the classic versions to be better than retail You get the real WoW experience.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    I played it and play it now, but nostalgia has little to do with it. I just find the classic versions to be better than retail You get the real WoW experience.
    What aspects define the "real WoW experience" to you?

3+ Year Old Account
    I just wanted to see what WoW was like when it first came out.
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

We have a bunch of "new" players in our guild. Most of them play because it's new WoW content for them and new WoW content is fun.

Other answers:

The difficulty and time requirements to beat the game are more reasonable (playing on lower difficulties doesn't feel like you are actually beating the boss. In classic you can actually defeat the biggest bad before the next raid releases).

There is a better ratio between social content (Raiding in your guild) and bullshit content (doing trivial content alone or with random strangers to max out your character)

They don't like timers in dungeons.

(Obviously difficulty is subjective, but I think classic attracts a lot of people who think world quests are stupidly easy and mythic raids are way too hard. So the classic difficutly just caters to them).
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    What aspects define the "real WoW experience" to you?
    The fact that classic defines WoW original roots.

Retail has changed a lot from that, for good but also (and mostly) for bad reasons.

That´s all I don´t want to go off topic, just wanted to point out that nostalgia doesn´t keep you playing classic, then BC classic, then WotLK classic... nostaliga can keep you going for a while, sure thing. Genuinely liking it is the main reason people actually play it.

I think those players are mostly a myth,like a unicorn!

Well...
    Honestly i play since beginning of Classic and did not met younger person than 25yo... and only a few guys that did not play beginning of WoW 15 years ago.

Also this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    There are some for sure, but you can tell that newer generations are not as dragged into MMOs :/ Sadly, gaming is turning towards instant gratification and loot boxes in game systems only.

Lol whenever AoC is ready, I expect the average player base age to be 30+ x)

There are some for sure, but you can tell that newer generations are not as dragged into MMOs :/ Sadly, gaming is turning towards instant gratification and loot boxes in game systems only.

Lol whenever AoC is ready, I expect the average player base age to be 30+ x)
    not only is it a general mmo thing,but they in no way would feel dragged by classic wow lol,there are much better games out there with more content,more fun content,better combat,a better world to explore,gw2,eso heck even new world feels super good to play and explore

I started with wotlk back in the day, so there is only nostalgia for that and maybe leveling in pre cata zones.

When it comes to vanilla and tbc i heard a lot of stories over the years about peoples first steps in this new game or how they first experienced a certain dungeon and what not.

So i was curious about a lot of stuff and really really bored with what retail has become.

We have 5 in our guild on TBCC.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    We have 5 in our guild on TBCC.
    i did say mostly,also i know of a few myself who played classic and lied to their guild that they dont like retail and dont play it,but in fact they were kicked from raid progression in retail for being bad lol

casual players will almost always prefer retail because it has more stuff to do,and its not as tedious in many aspects,but there are some who want to be big boys and have the best raiding gear,but they cant handle mythic,so what do they do?

i did say mostly,also i know of a few myself who played classic and lied to their guild that they dont like retail and dont play it,but in fact they were kicked from raid progression in retail for being bad lol

casual players will almost always prefer retail because it has more stuff to do,and its not as tedious in many aspects,but there are some who want to be big boys and have the best raiding gear,but they cant handle mythic,so what do they do?
    I don't want to be a "Big Boy" I just despise Mythic and prefer the 10/25 man setup to raiding I think that Ulduar was perfect in terms of raiding with Activated Hard modes. I love 10 man raids and had the most fun in my wow career in 10 mans, I basically quit when flex happened. I have had a blast in TBCC getting to do T6 and killing Vashj and KT which I didn't get to do in Retail. Retail for me is just meh, does not do it for me. I personally prefer raid logging and having 2-4 alts all raid geared because you can raid most of the content in 1-2 nights of raiding then log on the other nights and mess around with alts.

10+ Year Old Account
    well, we can't say i'm young. Started playing wow in wrath, yes, i'm a wrath baby, but i've never played TBC, the first shock i had was the amount of gold required for ridding skill's, still haven't dinged to 70, i am 67.

I restarted playing again because of wrath, but i wanted to see how TBC was aswell.

it's more enjoyable than world of systemscraft for me.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I don't want to be a "Big Boy" I just despise Mythic and prefer the 10/25 man setup to raiding I think that Ulduar was perfect in terms of raiding with Activated Hard modes. I love 10 man raids and had the most fun in my wow career in 10 mans, I basically quit when flex happened. I have had a blast in TBCC getting to do T6 and killing Vashj and KT which I didn't get to do in Retail. Retail for me is just meh, does not do it for me. I personally prefer raid logging and having 2-4 alts all raid geared because you can raid most of the content in 1-2 nights of raiding then log on the other nights and mess around with alts.
    you can 10 man raid normal or hc if you dont care about being a ''big boy'' right?

I did it for nostalgia.

My nephew (in his mid 20s) tried retail and the end game systems and feeling 20 years behind put him off. He levelled a character but found max level boring and inaccessible. I convinced him to start vanilla classic with me and he really liked it. He has cleared tbc content and is now taking a break until wrath pre-patch launches - he's thinking about starting on a new server if there is one in oceania.

Comes down to new wow content for a lot of my friends that started on retail and liked it.