10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    We still are in the dark regarding big finale).
    Are we? I thought everyone knew it's leading to Kang the Conqueror? They've been talking about it ever since Loki wrapped up.

Hence why we're getting multiverse acts like Loki, What If, NWH, MoM/America Chavez and now what looks to be a set up toward Rune King Thor.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Are we? I thought everyone knew it's leading to Kang the Conqueror? They've been talking about it ever since Loki wrapped up.

Hence why we're getting multiverse acts like Loki, What If, NWH, MoM/America Chavez and now what looks to be a set up toward Rune King Thor.
    Ye, I dunno. He defo wasn't hinted on-screen (or at least I didn't notice). Far cry from Thanos intimidating sitting throughout the previous movies.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-07-10 at 07:22 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Ye, I dunno. He defo wasn't hinted in on-screen (or at least I didn't notice). Far cry from Thanos intimidating sitting throughout the previous movies.
    First on-screen hint of Thanos was in an after-credits scene for The Avengers. Big comics fans suspected it because they seemed to be doing Infinity Stones, but that wasn't remotely conclusive.

That was 5 films into the cycle.

Meanwhile, we've had a whole episode that centered really strongly around Kang, in Loki, and he was on-screen and a major character in that episode. He's been way more than hinted at; Loki's finale laid it all out in pretty specific detail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Meanwhile, we've had a whole episode that centered really strongly around Kang, in Loki, and he was on-screen and a major character in that episode. He's been way more than hinted at; Loki's finale laid it all out in pretty specific detail.
    This, they've also said in interviews that the Multiverse arc is building to a showdown with Kang. He's meant to be the antagonist in Quantumania later this year, but I'll be surprised if he's a one appearance affair and ends up being just the majordomo for a bigger threat.

Which is also possible as there's also been hints to Secret Wars and Dr Doom which means that the Beyonder could be pulling all the strings here.

From what I've heard Secret Wars does seem like the most likely end game for them to work towards.

What is the bolded based on? idk if you have seen Love&Thunder yet or not. I have not seen it yet but Gorr didn't fight RKT in the comics. He fought with young Thor, current Thor and Old King Thor who is Thor in the distant future. RKT came out about 7 years before that.

5+ Year Old Account
    Gwaddwam goats...

Dunno what has happened to Taika, maybe he has lost his way, become complacent? Or, did they switch his brain and his body was taken over by Michael Bay?

Because this felt like a Michael Bay movie...

This, they've also said in interviews that the Multiverse arc is building to a showdown with Kang. He's meant to be the antagonist in Quantumania later this year, but I'll be surprised if he's a one appearance affair and ends up being just the majordomo for a bigger threat.

Which is also possible as there's also been hints to Secret Wars and Dr Doom which means that the Beyonder could be pulling all the strings here.
    I guess it's natural to look a the past and use it as reference for the future ( that's the only available data) but I have serious doubts that p5 and p6 are gonna replicate exactly the p2/p3 structure ( for example D+ introduces a game changing element).

The question about the "next big bad" should leads to us to another question: Where are all the supervillains?.

Secret Wars will be an amalgam of the original and the modern one but despite the little information ( just incursions) there's only one thing we can almost say for sure: there's only battleworld.

Be it literal ( modern SW) as in there's nothing in the multiverse but this or figurate ( original SW) as in we are gonna focus on the events in the planet and ignore the rest of the multiverse the narrative is: put all the superheroes on one side....put all the supervillains in another side. Open the locks.Let's rumble.

So ....where are all the supervillains? 80% die in their own movie to the point that is WAY easier to count the survivors. Is this gonna be Kang versus ..the Avengers...and the X-Men.....and the Fantastic Four....and the Eternals....and the Thunderbolts....and the Guardians...and the Young Avengers (ufff.... need to rest a bit...)?

Highly unlikely so I really think we should not think in a "next big bad" but a series of them ( Kang, Doom, Celestials? Whoever face the X-men? More introduced in p5/p6) competing for omnipotence an one of them achieving it but just at the last moment. If we are gonna have SW Part I and Part II I see the victor rising as god at the end of Part I ( it worked in Infinity War) and then having Part II to unfuck the fuckery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Dunno what has happened to Taika, maybe he has lost his way, become complacent? Or, did they switch his brain and his body was taken over by Michael Bay?

From all the interviews and behind-the-scenes pics/vids we're getting, this film was run in a similar manner to Ghostbusters 2016. Ironically enough, there's even Ghosterbusters 2016 main cast members making a return, and Chris Hemsworth reprises his role as Kevin in Thor 4... a bumbling fool who is just basically there for eye candy and to be the butt of jokes. The end result is similar, as well, as you can tell there's no respect or regard for what happened before this movie, devolving everything into a farce.

Taika has some good movies in the past, but it appears he's experienced a similar trend to other directors or people in the business who rise to fame: he's being treated like a superstar, therefore nothing he does can be wrong and no one will say "No, that's stupid" to him. Happened to other people in the MCU over the years, where their best work is when they were new followed by their quality decreasing when they've obtained some notoriety. Taika is a prime example of how fame can corrupt or change a person and their work.

The only person that seemed like they showed up to actually to put in work was Christian Bale, as the best and most interesting performances were mostly from him (despite the script for him feeling like it was written by 2-3 different people separately depending upon the scene, and having barely anything to do/work with). While this may be bias based upon the content that were shown versus what got cut, the larger issue is that we had a loaded cast of people who are known for being able to do their acting job well... and Taiki flushed that down the toilet. If anything, the movie can be summed up like pretty much every piece of Marvel (and Star Wars) content as of late: wasted potential.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2022-07-12 at 05:00 PM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    I gotta say, Ms Marvel is better than Thor 4.
    Ragnarok had the perfect balance when it comes to humor but also drama/stakes. L&T for sure had some awesome moments, some good moments but sadly also quite a lot of childish moments, felt like bad satire at times. Some have compared L&T to be MCUs Batman and Robin and I think I agree with that.
    Honestly it felt like L&T made the thor oneshots canon, as they are in the same style lol.

I did enjoy it though, and it showed that in comparison, "Eternals" lacked some jokes. DC style grimdark just isn't working for the MCU.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

5+ Year Old Account
    VFX Artists Frustrated Working With Marvel

John Campea
    Jul 11, 2022

10+ Year Old Account
    VFX Artists Frustrated Working With Marvel

John Campea
    Jul 11, 2022
    As they make clear in the first three minutes, this isn't the fault of Marvel or other production companies.

The problem is the VFX companies. Studios are taking bids on projects, and generally prefer the company who can do the job they want the cheapest. That's pretty standard practice in literally every industry on the planet. Then those VFX companies mandate stupidly long hours for too-little pay because labor laws are far too lax and unprotective, so they can squeeze more labor out of their staff for less compensation and lower those price points sufficiently to win those bids.

The example they used was the film Life of Pi, which won all kinds of awards for Rythm & Hues, the CGI team behind the effects. But Rythm & Hues filed for bankruptcy pretty much right after the film's success, because of this kind of stuff. And that's awful.

But I feel like I've gotta point out that Rhythm & Hues is not 20th Century Fox (the main studio making the film), but a subcontractor who was brought in to do that work for them. Blaming 20th Century Fox instead of Rhythm & Hues for Rhythm & Hues' work conditions and financing troubles sure seems like it's missing the actual culprit. Which was Rhythm & Hues.

We could say this is such an industry norm that R&H had no other options, but this is an industry they chose to get into and excel at. Their staff were being pushed too hard because regulatory practices aren't strict enough to protect their staff from their employers' abuses. Etc. It's a gross failure on a whole lot of grounds, but I can't lay blame at the studio's feet; they're just taking the best and cheapest bid for the work.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Taika has some good movies in the past, but it appears he's experienced a similar trend to other directors or people in the business who rise to fame: he's being treated like a superstar, therefore nothing he does can be wrong and no one will say "No, that's stupid" to him. Happened to other people in the MCU over the years, where their best work is when they were new followed by their quality decreasing when they've obtained some notoriety. Taika is a prime example of how fame can corrupt or change a person and their work.
    My view is that what we saw in L&T was Disney interference in the movie and taika rolled with it. There are so many tonal shifts in the movie that it is quite jarring. Thor 3 on the other hand was reasonably consistent throughout, and as I recall the previous movie press, Hemsworth was done with Thor until the pitch, so perhaps Taika was given more leeway to do as he pleases.

I’m guessing as the MCU rolls on, the mouse will become more difficult to deal with as they protect the brand, and directors will be harder pressed to do their own thing in the guidelines set by Disney (something we’ve already seen a few times).

I guess that goes to how much of a fan you are or the director though, and who you cut slack to. Just like with WW1984, based on past works I think the director is competent, and the studio not so much, so I lean to blaming the studio. I guess a few more outings by Taika (or Jenkins for that matter) will tell who is really to blame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    What is the bolded based on? idk if you have seen Love&Thunder yet or not. I have not seen it yet but Gorr didn't fight RKT in the comics. He fought with young Thor, current Thor and Old King Thor who is Thor in the distant future. RKT came out about 7 years before that.
    I have, and I'll spoiler explain the reason for this theory.

At the end of L&T, Hercules is sent to go after Thor by Zeus. I expect Hercules to beat the absolute shit out of everyone's favourite Asgardian, possibly even twice. It'll be a lead on towards Thor seeking greater power, and his Rune King form. Which makes sense as it's got interdimensional travel capabilities, which seems to be all the rage in this multiverse arc we're on in the MCU.

7+ Year Old Account
    And just like that, we have the first mutant in the MCU!

The future is bright ^.^

#TEAMGIRAFFE

10+ Year Old Account
    Gwaddwam goats...

I am pretty sure Marvel itself has swayed into Michael Bayism territory and has been for a while. The movies are not smart they are dumb fun stupid movies. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it also depends on your tolerance for those Michael Bay movies. I actually only ever liked the first Transformer movie and that I wouldn't say was even a good movie either. But I would put the current MCU on par with the first Transformer movie as we haven't hit giant robotic testicles and racist robots yet. And with this being Disney I doubt we will lol :P

the MCU need to reign themselves back a bit, gain some focus. they are still good at character development though, (when they are allowed to). But as far as overall narrative and story goes that's where the MCU fall off for me.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-07-13 at 08:59 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

At the end of L&T, Hercules is sent to go after Thor by Zeus. I expect Hercules to beat the absolute shit out of everyone's favourite Asgardian, possibly even twice. It'll be a lead on towards Thor seeking greater power, and his Rune King form. Which makes sense as it's got interdimensional travel capabilities, which seems to be all the rage in this multiverse arc we're on in the MCU.
    I thought you were talking about Love. Much like Rune King Thor that raised and became mentor of his grandaughters the MCU Thor is now "uncle" Thor
    raising Love and going of adventures with her. This mentor aspect directly connects with Rune King

idk, that seems like a bit of a stretch tbh. Thor's already gotten upgrades as it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    I thought you were talking about Love. Much like Rune King Thor that raised and became mentor of his grandaughters the MCU Thor is now "uncle" Thor
    raising Love and going of adventures with her. This mentor aspect directly connects with Rune King
    Again, that is not RKT. That is Old King Thor who has the granddaughters. RKT's storyline has to do with Ragnarok and breaking the cycles of it by gaining the rune power and confronting interdimensional beings who were feeding off of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    Again, that is not RKT. That is Old King Thor who has the granddaughters. RKT's storyline has to do with Ragnarok and breaking the cycles of it by gaining the rune power and confronting interdimensional beings who were feeding off of them.
    The MCU's following of the comics is loose at best, but as we're heading towards what looks to be a combination of Secret Wars and Kang's interdimensional war (and possible fallout from it) it makes sense to send him down the path towards RKT.

Plus all his upgrades were for beating mortals, now he's fighting other gods. Which will possibly also come in handy when Arishem passes judgement.

Rune King Thor is a major powerhouse. A god for gods.