Poll: Defund the Police U.S or anywhere?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 22
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Defund the Police U.S or anywhere?

Recognizing these forums consist of people from all over, I ask this more as a general idea AND preface these questions as more than do we or don't we BUT what are prudent alternatives.

For example situations that might be more likely to require someone to respond to a mental health crises.

Should we Defund the Police?

If we defund the Police what would an alternative look like?

Personally when it comes to this I am a more on the we shouldn't defund the police, mostly because there are NO alternatives reasonable for such services, and despite the history of the Police I think repurposing and retraining would be best.

I think along with more modern technology for incapacitating suspects without lethal force. That would be easier and more effective, and less damaging.

What is your opinion aside from whether you support or or don't support defunding the police?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Nah, dont defund.

Increase standards, more training and hold people that fuck up accountable.

If we defund the Police what would an alternative look like?
    social workers.

programs to help with addiction.

free healthcare.

UBI or at least a 25$ minimum wage.

just, look at any developed country that isn't the US or UK.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    social workers.

free healthcare.

How much would you defund them? Cause I figure you would still want them around?

Quote Originally Posted by Kreuger View Post
    Nah, dont defund.

Increase standards, more training and hold people that fuck up accountable.
    I cannot stress enough how bizarre it is to see this sentiment coming from someone who claims to live in literally one of the biggest welfare states in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

How much would you defund them? Cause I figure you would still want them around?
    to run jails and prisons, sure, not much else.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    I cannot stress enough how bizarre it is to see this sentiment coming from someone who claims to live in literally one of the biggest welfare states in the world.
    Whats bizarre?

Why is me not wanting to defund the police bizarre because im living in Sweden? Its not like we are living in a Utopia here, we have lots of problems and having fewer cops would be a crap situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    social workers.
    What about situations like this?

free healthcare.
    I agree

These will cause higher inflation mostly making 25$ the new $7.50.

Unless its a percentage of Cost of Living in a Area and regulations are put in place to control gouging by industry, inflation is going to be the end result.

Whats bizarre?

Why is me not wanting to defund the police bizarre because im living in Sweden? Its not like we are living in a Utopia here, we have lots of problems and having fewer cops would be a crap situation.
    maybe spend that money on fixing the problems instead of fighting the symptoms. which all cops are for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats bizarre?

Well if your cops are actually smart enough to be in charge of public safety, and aren't trigger happy pussy, I would understand your perspective. In the U.S however we have a lot of immature, Punisher wannabe morons, who couldn't show any ounce of bravery unless a suspect is fucking unarmed and a drug addict.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    maybe spend that money on fixing the problems instead of fighting the symptoms. which all cops are for.
    You could do both?

While we are working on the underlying problems we should enforce the laws and dont let criminals run wild because why not

IDK Amadeus what about the stories of SWAT teams burning children alive in their homes? two can play the obtuse card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed, but are we there yet, because so far the defund movement has put forward No organization and NO alternatives much less anything as something effective besides what we have now.

10+ Year Old Account
    There should be a focus on proactive measures, rather than reactive measures. For example, reducing poverty, ending the drug war and expanding social services would help immensely. Spending 50% of a city's budget on police, rather than on improving conditions that lead to crime simply doesn't make any sense.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Well if your cops are actually smart enough to be in charge of public safety, and aren't trigger happy pussy, I would understand your perspective. In the U.S however we have a lot of immature, Punisher wannabe morons, who couldn't show any ounce of bravery unless a suspect is fucking unarmed and a drug addict.
    Ofcourse, thats why I stated they need better training and be held accountable, dont know if its true och not but it seems far easier to become a cop in US then here in Sweden

10+ Year Old Account
    IDK Amadeus what about the stories of SWAT teams burning children alive in their homes? two can play the obtuse card.
    If you mean Waco no, I am 100% behind the government on this. Those death were are the morons inside that held themselves and innocent children hostage.

You could do both?

While we are working on the underlying problems we should enforce the laws and dont let criminals run wild because why not
    who the fuck said let criminals run wild? not that cops really stop most crimes in progress anyway... see, you betray your feigned middle ground stance when you strawman like that unprompted.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    to run jails and prisons, sure, not much else.
    who the fuck said let criminal run wild? not that cops really stop most crimes in progress anyway... see, you betray your feigned middle ground stance when you strawman like that unprompted.
    So no cops on the streets, how would you enforce the law?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ofcourse, thats why I stated they need better training and be held accountable, dont know if its true och not but it seems far easier to become a cop in US then here in Sweden
    Which aside from everything else I understand your response, you don't have morons for cops, we in the U.S unfortunately do or at least too many. Critical thinking and problem solving aren't requirements as long as you check all the right boxes here.

If you mean Waco no, I am 100% behind the government on this. Those death were are the morons inside that held themselves and innocent children hostage.
    Jesus Fucking Christ dude...

- - - Updated - - -

So no cops on the streets, how would you enforce the law?
    citations... like, that's literally what citations are for.

These will cause higher inflation mostly making 25$ the new $7.50.
    Not sure this statement is true.