Dragonflight Hunter Talents and Abilities Update - July 15

Dragonflight Hunter Talents and Abilities Update - July 15
    Blizzard has shared some of the Hunter talent changes that are coming in the next Dragonflight builds.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Hello Hunters,

We wanted to discuss some plans we had coming in the next few builds and address a few points of feedback.

Class Tree Changes:

• Improved Mend pet reduced to 2 points for +25/50%. Also now has a chance per tick of Mend Pet to also dispel a magic effect from your pet.
    • Scare Beast is no longer on a path that connects to other nodes below it, it’s a one-off thing to the side of the tree.
    • There is potentially a placeholder +Agility node where scare beast was. This will be changed if it shows up in your build to something that isn’t direct throughput.
    • Chimaera Shot removed from the class tree.
    • Master Marksman will likely be changed to also work with melee critical hits.
    • Death Chakram will likely be changed to increase all damage taken, rather than just Physical. This should make it more competitive to Survival Hunters, who do a fair bit of non-physical damage.

Beast Mastery

• Dire Pack needs to be reworked.

Marksmanship

• Double Tap is being moved near the middle of the tree.
    • New bottom left talent as a selection node:
      • Kill Shot now works with Trick Shots
      • Some number of targets hit by your Trick Shot ricochets also have Explosive Shot applied to them.
    • Legacy of the Windrunners has moved, and is consolidated down to 3 points instead of 5.
    • Chimaera shot added near the top of the tree. It will once again replace Arcane Shot, and things that modify Arcane Shot will modify Chimaera Shot
    • Quick Shot removed.
    • Rapid Fire’s Focus generation will just be part of the baseline ability and no longer an upgrade.

Survival

• A bunch of 3-point talents adjusted to fewer points.
    • A dependency problem with Frenzy Strikes needs to be resolved where you can get this talent without either Wildfire Bombs.

This is not a complete list of what will change in the next build, or even the next few builds. As more decisions are made, we’ll try to post here. As always, things are subject to change and what is there now, or in the builds to come, may not be final.

Bug fixing is also an ongoing process.

One other quick note:

Serpent Sting is way too far down one side of the tree when it’s one of Survival’s main skills

Serpent Sting is intentionally low on the class side of the talent tree. If it’s up higher, it starts competing in space we have designated for utility options and starts to feel like a mandatory throughput choice. We want to put most of the actual throughput stuff past the second gate, so you have adequate points to get the utility you feel is important while playing. Moving it up higher means you would likely be getting less utility options.

edit: The note about Serpent Sting is specific to the Hunter class tree layout. Different classes have different tree layouts and where utility and throughput is scattered about.
    edit2: note about Rapid Fire Focus generation in the MM tree area.
    edit3: Death Chakram note in class tree area.
    edit4: Frenzy Strikes note was wrong, you have to take Butchery/Carve, but not Wildfire Bombs.

I assume this means it will bounce to targets even if they are not within Kill Shot threshold?

Current plan: Yes

Will these 3 points have the same combined effect as the 5 did previously, or will that be changed?

Same combined effects.

Will the skills like Scatter Shot not being usable with a melee weapon be fixed as well, or is that intentional?

The intent is every ability on the class side of the tree is usable by any spec, regardless of what weapon is equipped. It may not be in that state now, but is is planned. Barrage might be an exception to this, but Barrage is also much less mandatory as a connection point in an upcoming build.

why is serpent sting even in the class tree in the first place?

Hunters had years of history with Serpent Sting, and it is available to Marksmanship as a talent. Multi-shot is also something many people would consider a core button, but is now in the spec trees for BM and MM. There is certainly an option where Serpent Sting is put in each tree and available with your first few points.

In general, we like to put as much class-wide stuff that we can, on the class side of the tree. This gets much more difficult when there are very crucial interactions within your spec with these buttons, such as Multi-Shot->Beast Cleave, or Multi-Shot->Trick Shots.

Serpent Sting is a cool button for Hunters. It is a nice thing for all three specs to have access to. Is it important to have before level 52? Maybe. It is early in the alpha testing stages for Dragonflight. We will get a lot of feedback from sources both internally and externally. If we decide it has to change for whatever reasons, we have time to do so.
    Last edited by Lumy; 2022-07-16 at 12:14 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    still wishing for 31/31 31/31 with even number of nodes for ALL classes....dreams be dreams.

31/31 30/30 looks somewhat strange, for me
    Last edited by cocomen2; 2022-07-16 at 12:28 AM.

Fantastic feedback on both sides with the hunter trees. A lot of my issues with MM in particular are being raised. Survival still has some ways to go but this is a great step and the communicate is extremely welcomed to alleviate fears about the future. The focused alpha testing their doing is really good too.

15+ Year Old Account
    What do they mean with Trick shots leaving Explosive Shot? I don't get it.

Do you need to hit the target with a ricocheted ability during the explosion countdown?! That would be very fast and not enough time to trigger the effects.

Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    What do they mean with Trick shots leaving Explosive Shot? I don't get it.

Do you need to hit the target with a ricocheted ability during the explosion countdown?! That would be very fast and not enough time to trigger the effects.
    The way I understand it is : when you consume the Trick Shots effect (with Aimed Shot or Rapid Fire), it applies the full Explosive Shot effect to some of the targets you just hit (countdown then explosion). It looks quite powerful on paper (if it actually works that way).

honestly, the feedback posts from Blizz about the trees has been superb so far.
    inciteful, well explained, philosophies shared, explanations of the good and bad and why they go in a certain direction.
    I really hope they continue with this kind of feedback for future work.
    the last time i remember a dev going into stuff life this was Ghost crawler, whose posts i didnt always agree with but always enjoyed reading.

getting really stoked to come back to my hunter. trees look good and they seem to really have a good direction for how they are considering so many aspects and facets of the game.

still waiting on monk trees...

/fingerscrossed for the return of old school fistweaving

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    honestly, the feedback posts from Blizz about the trees has been superb so far.
    inciteful, well explained, philosophies shared, explanations of the good and bad and why they go in a certain direction.
    I really hope they continue with this kind of feedback for future work.
    the last time i remember a dev going into stuff life this was Ghost crawler, whose posts i didnt always agree with but always enjoyed reading.

getting really stoked to come back to my hunter. trees look good and they seem to really have a good direction for how they are considering so many aspects and facets of the game.

still waiting on monk trees...

/fingerscrossed for the return of old school fistweaving
    Im sorry I just don't get it... what flavor is this koolaid?
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM