Evoker vs other classes

After taking a look at the new class and seeing the OP racials on Dracthyr, its safe to say that old classes and races are going to feel so old when compared.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've seen the new dragonish class and nothing about it makes me want to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyWarrior View Post
    After taking a look at the new class and seeing the OP racials on Dracthyr, its safe to say that old classes and races are going to feel so old when compared.
    I feel like people have said that for practically every new class or race/allied race added at some point.

The class and race won't click for everyone. You'll see a glut of them at first but as time goes on some will drop the class/race.

Dacrthyr is both a race and a class at the moment. Their racial features are effectively class features.

IF they ever open the up to other classes, I wouldn't be surprised if more things moved to the class end of the spectrum.

10+ Year Old Account
    At the end of the day, Evokers are casters. Not everyone wants to be a caster, even if you're a dragon-based caster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Evokers look and feel awesome, but the whole "vs X" is something that will take time to actually be determined.

They look kickass and there are cool abilities and such, but functionally it all remains to be seen.

Various questions from seeing it would be:

1. I don't see any sort of major mission critical utility in Evoker trees/abilities. They have some raid movement perks, group-wide DR, mana buff for a single healer and various gravy stuff. There is no something the level of Lust or Battle Shout/Intellect or Gateway that's indispensable either outright or for some encounters.
    2. Their tuning remains to be seen, but their major DPS cooldown does not seem to be very strong. It's 2 min that you can reduce to I guess around 1:30 from what I see, but it is FAAAAR from something like Combust.

So imagine M+ group gathering and I just don't see why anyone would want to look for Evoker there, unless they just end up being overtuned AF.

---

So to get to the context of the OP. Tail swipe and shit like that, it's all gravy really. It's not even the potatoes let alone the meat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watching some gameplay makes me feel like evokers satisfy the classical mage fantasy better than mages. Being able to weave fire and frost spells, a bit of earth and arcane mixed in, charging up big hitting spells, and even some small self-healing abilities.

I will say their mastery looks real bad.
    Last edited by Boricha; 2022-07-16 at 09:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boricha View Post
    I will say their mastery looks real bad.
    I did not give it a thought, but now thinking about it - that mastery is pretty cringe. It's like getting progressively weaker over the course of a fight. And with how more often than not last phases are more important ones - it's just annoying.

There is still Dragonrage CD, which "fixes" it, but of course uptime would be low for that.

The dps spec indeed doesn't look to bring anything unique beyond its raw output.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The dps spec indeed doesn't look to bring anything unique beyond its raw output.
    I would say the charge mechanic is quite unique. Additionally, it’s very mobile considering that it’s a caster spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I had that feeling since they announced the class. I think the only thing that makes it not (completely) look like a cheap mage rip off is lizard exclusivity and the charge mechanic. The themes of the spells scream mage or more like mage with shaman elemental hodge-podge theme...
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Janitor View Post
    I had that feeling since they announced the class. I think the only thing that makes it not (completely) look like a cheap mage rip off is lizard exclusivity and the charge mechanic. The themes of the spells scream mage or more like mage with shaman elemental hodge-podge theme...
    Well the theme is the 5 dragonflights, which have influenced the magic of multiple classes. Blue, Bronze, and Red have influenced mages, Green has influenced Druids, and Black has influenced Shaman. I would argue that mixing all 5 schools together both in Prismatic abilities as well as within the class makes it a pretty unique caster. Some of the Bronze-based spells are especially interesting. While Mage has a couple of time spells, they're nothing like what Evokers are pushing within that thematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    So imagine M+ group gathering and I just don't see why anyone would want to look for Evoker there, unless they just end up being overtuned AF.
    Looking at Devastation, I imagine it could end up being a bit like Demon Hunters in BfA- super strong in low/mid keys with their preponderance of cleaving abilities, but not the strongest single target option.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Looking at Devastation, I imagine it could end up being a bit like Demon Hunters in BfA- super strong in low/mid keys with their preponderance of cleaving abilities, but not the strongest single target option.
    The way it's looking like on Alpha right now according to feedback, you have two branches you can take it down, red is more AoE and Cleave, Blue is way more single target with some-but-less cleave.

There's no dungeon testing ongoing so we can't rate their preformance in parties, but it sounds like red will be better for M+, blue for raiding.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    The way it's looking like on Alpha right now according to feedback, you have two branches you can take it down, red is more AoE and Cleave, Blue is way more single target with some-but-less cleave.

There's no dungeon testing ongoing so we can't rate their preformance in parties, but it sounds like red will be better for M+, blue for raiding.
    Blue's prolly better for Tyrannical weeks, Red for Fortified. The Mobility CD Redux + CC Extension alone are gonna be fantastic.
    Personal Preference and Opinions ≠ Facts, Truth, or Logic