Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    It literally looks just like the original trilogy. Trailer music is always bland. And there's nothing wrong with that "lore", that's literally describing the races. Seriously, the amount of nitpicking on this show is absolutely insane. Is it going to be the 2nd coming? Probably not, but it looks fine.
    The color scheme in the original trilogy is intentionally washed out and faded in areas where the dark is winning notice how the Shire is completely vibrant and green and after the ring is destroyed the land in general has regained it's vibrance in the few scenes of it we see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    ALso the beer gut on the guys, found it pretty amusing myself.
    I think that's just a really badly cut attempt at chain armor that is far too form fitting to work as chainmail.

Just a random tought. Would they theoretically be able to adapt bits of LotR that were left out of the Jackson trilogy?

Chiefly thinking of the Epilogue of Sam's last journey together with Legolas and Gimli, but perhaps a Tom Bombadil cameo could also be a thing?

Given the Rings of Power theme, it could be a fitting and conclusive ending to have such an epilogue concluding past their destruction, following the ultimate ring bearer.
    Last edited by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang; 2022-07-15 at 08:09 PM.
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Not much of a contribution to this thread, but here's my take.

I consider myself to be a big fan of Tolkien's fantasy world, but not a mega-know-every-bit-of-lore fan. I definitely have spent more time than a casual fan listening to lore videos on YouTube while at work.

I have decided to go into this with an open mind and try to enjoy it. I will not nitpick if I can avoid doing so. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised by the show.

I get people's concerns after WoT and later GoT seasons. (Having read both of those series as well)

I am on the other side of things when it comes to something like Homelander. I haven't read the comics but have been told areas where the show is completely different. Other than the season 3 finale, I throughly enjoyed it.

I hope my non expert level knowledge of the extended Tolkien works allows me to have a fun experience with the Amazon show.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    Not much of a contribution to this thread, but here's my take.

I consider myself to be a big fan of Tolkien's fantasy world, but not a mega-know-every-bit-of-lore fan. I definitely have spent more time than a casual fan listening to lore videos on YouTube while at work.

I have decided to go into this with an open mind and try to enjoy it. I will not nitpick if I can avoid doing so. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised by the show.

I get people's concerns after WoT and later GoT seasons. (Having read both of those series as well)

I am on the other side of things when it comes to something like Homelander. I haven't read the comics but have been told areas where the show is completely different. Other than the season 3 finale, I throughly enjoyed it.

I hope my non expert level knowledge of the extended Tolkien works allows me to have a fun experience with the Amazon show.
    Oh, it will be an asset. Don't listen to these self-appointed gatekeepers and make your own mind.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

More lord of the rings material doesnt have to be a bad thing.

Would be nice if someone came along and took Harry Potter out of JK Rowlings hands as her creative juices have clearly run dry.

And like Lord of the rings and Harry Potter, the strength is in the worlds they have created and the characters.

Someone with fresh ideas can do a lot with strong universes/characters. And it can be interesting seeing different takes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    What I can find in a quick search is Amazon has the rights to:
    The Fellowship of the Ring
    The Two Towers
    The Return of the King
    The appendices
    The Hobbit

Thats not Scraps.
    It is scraps when you want to make a show about the Second Age: From The Lord of the Rings, you get some accounts from Aragorn, Elrond or Gandalf and a few short lines in the appendices covering hundreds of years, and from The Hobbit, nothing at all.

But lets face it: all we know about the Second Age is sketchy at best. Even if we look at Akkalabêth, in The Silmarillion, it is not much. Especially if the show's story begins after the Downfall of Númenor. You could find more information in the Book of Lost Tales or Unfinished Tales, but even then it is rather sketchy and even contradictory (especially concerning Galadriel, where she was, when and where she met Celeborn and who the heck was even Celeborn?). But the Tolkien Estate didn't give them the rights to use these sources. Which means that it gives much leeway to the creators of the show. So of course it will be different from what we know (or think we know) about that time period and what the characters were doing. We should not consider this an adaptation, but treat the show as its own thing, on its own merits. Maybe it will be good, maybe it will suck. But whatever it is, contrary to what some have said, it won't destroy Tolkien's work. The books will remain there, unsullied, for everyone to enjoy.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Oh, it will be an asset. Don't listen to these self-appointed gatekeepers and make your own mind.
    Couldn't one say the same thing about those people who push the series without any knowledge of it beyond what those who aren't in favor of it have?

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Couldn't one say the same thing about those people who push the series without any knowledge of it beyond what those who aren't in favor of it have?
    Ah, the most compelling of arguments: "No u."

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Its like someone cant do some basic research or math, in its first week it had 1.6 billion minutes viewed over 3 episode thats well over 10 million average, by now that number is far higher that has watched the show, not many shows even reach that high in viewer numbers over thier whole lifespan, wheel of time has been out decades it has a niche fanbase and is very likely far smaller than 6 million, also book sales does not make everyone a fan.

Every LOTR sales are a small number compared to what would can get watching a film or tv series, books are not that popular, not even tv series or movie has to be the next big thing and the fantasy genre as a whole is difficult to get a large audience, only a handful of shows gets fairly large numbers.

Not everything is written in a book so adaptations have to happen so you are the one with no logic here, every single film/tv series is an adaptation to something as its never 100% to its source material.

Its guaranteed everyone here claiming its shit will still watch it all because you have nothing better to do and just want to moan about it more because you feel it doesnt fit the tolkien vision which can never happen in the first place, if you expect something you will always be dissapointed.
    Lol 90 million books sold worldwide is a “niche” fan base. You seemed to have left out the fact the show shed viewers big time every week.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Ah, the most compelling of arguments: "No u."
    Explain how it wouldn't apply? Both groups are making up their mind on limited material.

My only hope is that if LOTR turns out to be a the woke fiasco that its looking like it might, that Blizzard takes a good long look at what it does to a popular franchise. Pandering to a misguided extremist minority is honestly completely insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Explain how it wouldn't apply? Both groups are making up their mind on limited material.
    Nope, one group already made their mind up. The other group still waits for actual release.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    My only hope is that if LOTR turns out to be a the woke fiasco that its looking like it might, that Blizzard takes a good long look at what it does to a popular franchise. Pandering to a misguided extremist minority is honestly completely insane.
    Your hoping that blizzard will remove black people and fighting women from wow then? Or is there some other “woke fiasco” on display in the little material we’ve seen so far?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    lol... Sorry buddy, I don't think studios are going to stop casting brown people in their productions any time soon. You may have to get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    It is scraps when you want to make a show about the Second Age: From The Lord of the Rings, you get some accounts from Aragorn, Elrond or Gandalf and a few short lines in the appendices covering hundreds of years, and from The Hobbit, nothing at all.

But lets face it: all we know about the Second Age is sketchy at best. Even if we look at Akkalabêth, in The Silmarillion, it is not much. Especially if the show's story begins after the Downfall of Númenor. You could find more information in the Book of Lost Tales or Unfinished Tales, but even then it is rather sketchy and even contradictory (especially concerning Galadriel, where she was, when and where she met Celeborn and who the heck was even Celeborn?). But the Tolkien Estate didn't give them the rights to use these sources. Which means that it gives much leeway to the creators of the show. So of course it will be different from what we know (or think we know) about that time period and what the characters were doing. We should not consider this an adaptation, but treat the show as its own thing, on its own merits. Maybe it will be good, maybe it will suck. But whatever it is, contrary to what some have said, it won't destroy Tolkien's work. The books will remain there, unsullied, for everyone to enjoy.
    I don't think that is entirely true, the licensing seems to allow them to delve into other volumes if it supports the stuff they are explicitly licensed to use. On top of that, judging by the trailer, they can also allow additional materials to be used on a case-by-case basis. Hence we get the Two Trees and what looks to be the Oath of Feanor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Your hoping that blizzard will remove black people and fighting women from wow then? Or is there some other “woke fiasco” on display in the little material we’ve seen so far?
    Forsaken...those fuckers need to burn.
    REMEMBER TELDRASSIL!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    Lol 90 million books sold worldwide is a “niche” fan base. You seemed to have left out the fact the show shed viewers big time every week.
    90 million books is not 90 million fans so yes its niche and books are already niche fanbases to begin with
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Books are niche fan bases lol, congrats on the dumbest shit I’ve read all day.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Adaptations dont need to be faithful they can do whatever they want so in the end it doesnt matter in the slightest if the story is changed or not. LOTRs universe is subject to changes it doesnt need to follow everything written in the book, as long as its entertaining thats all that really matters.
    By your dumb logic then there's no reason to brand a show or film after an IP that already exists if an adaptation "can do whatever they want". You know they did that right? And it actually worked out well once upon a time. The original West Side Story is an Americanized version of Romeo and Juliet, it's an adaptation using American cultural norms, and doesn't at all attempt to present itself as Romeo and Juliet. They do it because the name has recognition and is popular. Whether it be WoT, LOTR, Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Conan the Barbarian and many more. Peter Jackson at least tried to be faithful to the books with the LOTR films, and Warner Bros did an alright job adapting the Harry Potter books even though they could have easily added in some more subplot stuff to make the movies flow a little better with some of the side characters. The Percy Jackson films took a lot of creative liberties and paid the price for it at the box office, despite the books being relatively popular.

WoT should have been a slam dunk had the writers just stuck to the plot and not try to hamfist in subplots that were never in the books and not ruined Rand's coming out moment as the Dragon Reborn at the end of the first fucking season with their strong woman moment of Egwene and Nynaeve killing a horde of Trollocs when they can barely even so much as touch the True Source instead of Rand obliterating two of the Forsaken at the Eye of the World. Not to mention completely omitting Elayne meeting Rand for the first time in Camelyn and gutting out Mat's story arc involving the Shadar Logoth dagger and how it ties him to Padan Fain for pretty much the entire series. WoT has plenty of moments where the female characters are interesting and badass, it just doesn't happen until much later in the story. Rafe Judkins is a talentless hack who should be fired into the sun for that piss ass excuse for a show.

Feels like if they just released the latest trailer instead of those few utterly disastrously bad teaser trailers things probably would have gone a bit better.