Quote Originally Posted by david0925 View Post
    I understand there is a Blind trust (or at least, the concept. Not as much the details). It's pretty straightforward for a politician to use a blind trust, but what about the people close to them, and how close?
    You wanted to know how we can prevent politicians from insider trading. Make them, and their partners, use blind trusts. Anyone privy to insider information should use one. Otherwise prosecute them for insider trading if they do this kind of shit. It’s pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Shouldn't matter if it's reported; if he's making investment decisions based on her insight on incoming legislation and such, that should be seen as insider trading. The same severity as what sent Martha Stewart to prison. For both Pelosis.

Why would you ever create exceptions for politicians?
    There wasn't an exception for politicians, the OG law just wasn't clear enough. STOCK act bar against trading on congressional knowledge is still in effect. The bill has also been public knowledge for more than a year. I linked a story about it a while ago when one of our other posters was complaining that the dems weren't getting anything done to boost manufacturing in the US. The hubbub about the bill started in Jan 2021 when there were provisions in the national defense appropriations bill about funding chip manufacturing for the sake of national security.

People need to stop slurping at the tit of right-wing outrage.

Edit: Here's a story about the bill from last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Not "technically her husband," literally her husband.

And can we not post an actual source? Rather than some random right wing dude on Twitter with zero links?

At least his wife reported all this.
    Poor grammar on my part. "Well, technically her husband purchased the stock.

Nancy Pelosi's husband just invested millions into NVIDIA and sold large amounts of Visa and Apple stocks and call options

Nancy's husband and their M.O. is notorious for this. Which makes them as much scum as any Republican on this matter and I give not breaks cause she "sorta" votes blue. In fact she is such a corporate Dem it's pathetic.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

Nancy Pelosi's husband just invested millions into NVIDIA and sold large amounts of Visa and Apple stocks and call options

Nancy's husband and their M.O. is notorious for this. Which makes them as much scum as any Republican on this matter and I give not breaks cause she "sorta" votes blue. In fact she is such a corporate Dem it's pathetic.
    They traded chip stocks in June 2022. We've known about the funding for chip manufacturers since January 2021. This isn't insider trading. This isn't trading on congressional knowledge. This is right-wing outrage propaganda that you continue to spew on these forums. Why do you keep pushing their propaganda?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    There wasn't an exception for politicians, the OG law just wasn't clear enough. STOCK act bar against trading on congressional knowledge is still in effect. The bill has also been public knowledge for more than a year. I linked a story about it a while ago when one of our other posters was complaining that the dems weren't getting anything done to boost manufacturing in the US. The hubbub about the bill started in Jan 2021 when there were provisions in the national defense appropriations bill about funding chip manufacturing for the sake of national security.

People need to stop slurping at the tit of right-wing outrage.
    Oh, this is left-wing outrage.

The Pelosis have gotten filthy rich over her career. They're by no means alone among US politicians who've used their positions for personal gain over the years. Often by exploiting the fact that the only people writing rules to govern their action are they themselves.

I don't care which party they're from, in this. No sitting member of Congress should be earning more income than their base salaries. I don't even agree they should retain business interests they owned prior to election; they should be obliged to divest. At best, we could carve out exceptions for things like blind trusts and index funds, where the member has absolutely no influence over the trading and, ideally, no communications whatsoever with those handling the investments. And that goes for her husband, the rest of her family, etc. If any line of such communication is identified, that should be deemed evidence of insider trading.

Right-wingers might give a shit because she's a Democrat and want to torch any Democrat for anything. Left-wingers, well, that's where Eat the Rich comes in. And Pelosi and her husband are really fuckin' rich, dude.

Why would I give a Democrat a pass for these kinds of abuses? I'm not that blindly, unthinkingly partisan.

Oh, this is left-wing outrage.
    Yeah? Here's that twitter account that was used as the source. Former fox news producer, spends his time on OAN and newsmax because fox news wasn't right-wing enough for him.

It's also, again, not trading on insider/congressional knowledge. The trades were made 17 months after the public knew about the bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Yeah? Here's that twitter account that was used as the source. Former fox news producer, spends his time on OAN and newsmax because fox news wasn't right-wing enough for him.

It's also, again, not trading on insider/congressional knowledge. The trades were made 17 months after the public knew about the bill.
    Again, she and her husband are worth north of $100 mil or so, and he runs an investment firm.

That's incredibly squirrely, to the point it's likely a conflict of interest even if it skates by on the technicalities of the American system, and the particulars of any one specific trade won't change that.

Like, in Canada, MPs are allowed to have investments or run businesses, but if any vote on any bill comes up that affects or could affect said business or investment, that MP is ethically obliged to recuse themselves from that vote. If your husband had stock in an oil company, for instance, you could not ethically participate in advocating for or voting on any legislation that would benefit or negatively impact that industry in general or that company in specific. Right in #8 and #13 in the Rules of Conduct; https://www.ourcommons.ca/procedure/...s/appa1-e.html

Meanwhile, that seems to happen regularly, in the USA, without real complaint. Not to mention the whole ugly lobbying industry, which is practically legalized bribery.

Again, she and her husband are worth north of $100 mil or so, and he runs an investment firm.

That's incredibly squirrely, to the point it's likely a conflict of interest even if it skates by on the technicalities of the American system, and the particulars of any one specific trade won't change that.

Like, in Canada, MPs are allowed to have investments or run businesses, but if any vote on any bill comes up that affects or could affect said business or investment, that MP is ethically obliged to recuse themselves from that vote. If your husband had stock in an oil company, for instance, you could not ethically participate in advocating for or voting on any legislation that would benefit or negatively impact that industry in general or that company in specific. Right in #8 and #13 in the Rules of Conduct; https://www.ourcommons.ca/procedure/...s/appa1-e.html

Meanwhile, that seems to happen regularly, in the USA, without real complaint. Not to mention the whole ugly lobbying industry, which is practically legalized bribery.
    Great, push for blind trusts. Don't baselessly accuse people of breaking the law based on bullshit from some rightwing nut-job about how trading on public knowledge is somehow supposed to be insider trading. This is what I was talking about the attacks coming from a 5th column. You see some shit from that nut-job, assume they're telling the truth, then help attack the party that isn't trying to overthrow the gov't of the united states. You're not the 5th column agent, you're just the person that's being duped by 5th column activity.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...rmula-mission/

White House announcing the seventeenthshipment of infant formula to the US since the shortage began.

Sure none of these shipments are silver bullets, but it's nice seeing the government working and doing things that actually help people again.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I thought Biden was the guy that had all the power to get the price to drop? Should he not talk about the price coming down now?
    They like to say it's hurting mom and pop gas stations, but Fox is doing is looking for any shitty lining as they have nothing concrete to complain about.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

The problem is no one even looks at their performance do they?
    They have not exactly made tons of money on their stock picks, especially in the past year or so.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hous...ry?id=87065562

Hopefully they can get this through the Senate somehow, they should be able to pick up a vote from Romney or someone else should Manchin decide to be a piece of shit.

What's hilarious to me is this -

Following Nadler's introduction of the marriage bill Tuesday, Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, called the proposal an attempt to "intimidate" the Supreme Court and said the threat to same-sex marriage was a "manufactured crisis" -- accusing Democrats of using the the legislation as a political tool.

"Democrats can't run on their disastrous record, they can't run on any accomplishments less than four months before an election," Jordan said.
    So on the "manufactured crisis" bit, no. The ruling codifying it was explicitly called out in the ruling overturning Roe. We all know this, but maybe Gym was a bit too busy trying to forget those college students he molested.

Anyways, onto the "intimidation" bit which is...just nakedly hilarious since the Legislature literally can't "intimidate" a Justice short of attempting to impeach and remove them, and that's not inherently intimidation.

Quite the contrary: THIS IS LITERALLY HOW THINGS USED TO WORK. SCOTUS would rule on and issue saying that their interpretation of the law says X, Y, or Z wasn't intended and that they're consequently allowing/preventing those things, and invite the Legislature to pass subsequent legislation clarifying the issue if they so choose.

There was a dialogue between the two bodies, a respectful dialogue where the SCOTUS would ask, "Did you mean X?" and the Legislature would respond with, "Yes, we meant X" or "No, we meant Y" by passing another bill.

I can't say I'm remotely surprised that Gym Jordan is oblivious to this historical relationship between the SCOTUS and the House/Senate, he was probably too busy molesting wrestlers to be paying attention to legislative and judicial history.

Worth noting: Every Democrat and 47 Republicans voted for this bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hous...ry?id=87065562

Hopefully they can get this through the Senate somehow, they should be able to pick up a vote from Romney or someone else should Manchin decide to be a piece of shit.

What's hilarious to me is this -

So on the "manufactured crisis" bit, no. The ruling codifying it was explicitly called out in the ruling overturning Roe. We all know this, but maybe Gym was a bit too busy trying to forget those college students he molested.

Anyways, onto the "intimidation" bit which is...just nakedly hilarious since the Legislature literally can't "intimidate" a Justice short of attempting to impeach and remove them, and that's not inherently intimidation.

Quite the contrary: THIS IS LITERALLY HOW THINGS USED TO WORK. SCOTUS would rule on and issue saying that their interpretation of the law says X, Y, or Z wasn't intended and that they're consequently allowing/preventing those things, and invite the Legislature to pass subsequent legislation clarifying the issue if they so choose.

There was a dialogue between the two bodies, a respectful dialogue where the SCOTUS would ask, "Did you mean X?" and the Legislature would respond with, "Yes, we meant X" or "No, we meant Y" by passing another bill.

I can't say I'm remotely surprised that Gym Jordan is oblivious to this historical relationship between the SCOTUS and the House/Senate, he was probably too busy molesting wrestlers to be paying attention to legislative and judicial history.

Worth noting: Every Democrat and 47 Republicans voted for this bill.
    Unfortunately, it needs 60 votes, not 50 (VP tiebreak +1), to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    The problem is no one even looks at their performance do they?
    They have not exactly made tons of money on their stock picks, especially in the past year or so.
    If you look at their performance numbers the Pelosis are better investors than famous investors that's not even going into the best performing hedge funds. I think they are being unfairly targeted due to their name, all throughout congress you can see examples of this and insider trading is allowed. I don't blame them for using the system but we have to recognize that it is corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Minifie View Post
    He said england incorrectly, and then corrected himself, coal plants also directly link to lung cancers, republicans really project how much of dishonest shitbags they are that a mistake, quickly corrected and a tenuous miss correlation are worth this level of scrutiny.

Absolutely deplorable.
    There is no need to be mad that people are commenting on Biden's gaffes. He's the leader of the free world, when he talks gibberish and gets things wrong people are going to notice. Unfortunately for him it seems to happen rather a lot. He should have retired a long time ago. Sad that America had such a shite choice. Maybe they can get their shit together for 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    There is no need to be mad that people are commenting on Biden's gaffes. He's the leader of the free world, when he talks gibberish and gets things wrong people are going to notice. Unfortunately for him it seems to happen rather a lot. He should have retired a long time ago. Sad that America had such a shite choice. Maybe they can get their shit together for 2024.
    And Trump has the best words, some of them being "Belgium is a beautiful city." What's your point again?
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

we need more love in our hearts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Remember when our troops sacrificed themselves for the furniture of their children?

Take your concern trolling elsewhere.

7+ Year Old Account
    Biden, according to 538 and RCP, has reached an average approval of either 38% or 37% according to polls.

Context wise? That was as low as Trump ever got, even after January 6th. I admit I didn't quite expect this of the Biden presidency. Sure I didn't have very high hopes he'd do an amazing job, but what has happened so far is way worse then that.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."