Thread: Stoney boy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderment2 View Post
    IRL Statues: Made to look asethically pleasing

Warcraft Statues: Made to fight the enemies of the Titians

So no Titan Keepers don't need to look painted. Warcraft might take inspiration from IRL but they they don't need to copy purpose or look
    Do you need beard and hair to fight enemies ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarba View Post
    Do you need beard and hair to fight enemies ?
    Did you miss the part where I said they take inspiration from real life statues?

They just don't have to 100% conform

Did you miss the part where I said they take inspiration from real life statues?

What % do they need to conform to, then?

Clearly you think SOME things they should do and others they don't need to do - but who decides why/why not something should/shouldn't be copied?

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    What % do they need to conform to, then?

Clearly you think SOME things they should do and others they don't need to do - but who decides why/why not something should/shouldn't be copied?
    The artists/designers. And whatever % the artist/designer want.

I don't think there's some things they should and shouldn't I just think is a dumb argument to say fanstay should conform to reality

Should wow redo their dinosaur models now scientists seems to think lots more had feathers?
    Last edited by Wonderment2; 2022-07-19 at 08:52 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Nah, they should stay as they are. They look amazing. That’s the only reason to actually buy this expansion since dragons are boring as hell.

I don't think there's some things they should and shouldn't I just think is a dumb argument to say fanstay should conform to reality.
    I agree. But it's also dumb to say "why do they need to be painted, fantasy doesn't need to conform to reality!" in the same breath as "well OBVIOUSLY they have hair, they're like real statues after all!"

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I agree. But it's also dumb to say "why do they need to be painted, fantasy doesn't need to conform to reality!" in the same breath as "well OBVIOUSLY they have hair, they're like real statues after all!"
    I didn't say that? If they didn't have hair I wouldn't complaining for them to have hair.

I said they take inspiration.... Spefically they take inspiration from erroneous modern view they were unpainted but were still sculpted.

Really easy logic so try to follow without making up my points:

"Wow Titian keepers are inspired by IRL Statues. This means they'll take some but not all aspects of irl statues, the extent of which is the artists/designers choice"
    Last edited by Wonderment2; 2022-07-19 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    True.
    But, it mostly applies to the smaller Saurid, and maybe Pterodactyl Dinosaurs. Less so the bigger T-rex and Raptors (which aren'y veloci-sized). At least from what i've seen of Prehistoric Planet.
    Yeah, that's horribly outdated and in parts just plain wrong. Pterosaurs aren't even Dinosaurs. There's indication that both T-Rex and all Raptors had feathers or protofeathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirdus View Post
    OP seems to have forgotten that the earthen / titanforged were literally mass-produced via forges, not handcrafted to be works of art
    Forged can't apply color?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusken View Post
    OP also seems to have forgotten that it's a fictional being and not any kind of recreation of real world art.
    What about the sandals, toga, curly hair and white marble?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    And all the jewelry and decorative sculpted features like beards and elaborate hair?

That is such a weird angle to take. The Titans are first and foremost creators, they love to shape things and while their aesthetics are functional they are still complex. They are not apathetic or pragmatic constructs that seek to impose a universal order; they are individuals that impose their own order and thus their own value of beauty. Everything they make is embelished. Their art is not to be observed, it's there to impose their sense of beauty on reality.

And no reason to paint them mostly because it doesn't seem in their nature to create something that is so temporary. The Titans would work with stone or metal because those things have permanence.
    Titans are in color, too.
    They're more likely to create servants in their image:

Should wow redo their dinosaur models now scientists seems to think lots more had feathers?
    #MoreAccurateDinosaurModels

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Yeah, that's horribly outdated and in parts just plain wrong. Pterosaurs aren't even Dinosaurs. There's indication that both T-Rex and all Raptors had feathers or protofeathers.
    Really?
    Wasn't shown on the David Attenborough show.

I'd say that in color does not mean painted. They just use materials with color, sculpting that resembles embroidery and metal accents.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    Nah, they should stay as they are. They look amazing. That’s the only reason to actually buy this expansion since dragons are boring as hell.
    Still hoping Tyr shows up to punt some dragons.

I'd say that in color does not mean painted. They just use materials with color, sculpting that resembles embroidery and metal accents.
    They are made of metal. Metal is usually silver in color.

Just pointing that it was not a valid argument. Next time keep only the last sentence if you don't want someone to show it's not a valid argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarba View Post
    Just pointing that it was not a valid argument. Next time keep only the last sentence if you don't want someone to show it's not a valid argument.
    Its not a valid argument to say that something can take inspiration from something without copying all its aspects?

Ie just because recent discoveries have shown irl Greek statues were painted doesn't mean wow Titan Keepers need to be updated accordingly
    Last edited by Wonderment2; 2022-07-19 at 11:53 AM.

#MoreAccurateDinosaurModels

Really?
    Wasn't shown on the David Attenborough show.
    Note how the Titans aren't painted.

Also, TV shows tend to lag way behind on that stuff. They're not reliable sources. Dinosaurs having feathers was already known at the time of the original Jurassic Park, although we didn't realise the extent until later.

Source? Because i'm fairly sure the lore says otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    And all the jewelry and decorative sculpted features like beards and elaborate hair?

That is such a weird angle to take. The Titans are first and foremost creators, they love to shape things and while their aesthetics are functional they are still complex. They are not apathetic or pragmatic constructs that seek to impose a universal order; they are individuals that impose their own order and thus their own value of beauty. Everything they make is embelished. Their art is not to be observed, it's there to impose their sense of beauty on reality.

And no reason to paint them mostly because it doesn't seem in their nature to create something that is so temporary. The Titans would work with stone or metal because those things have permanence.
    The jewelry and sculpted features are worked directly into the stone and/or metals of the subject, and thus far more likely to stand the test of time. I never said the Titans and/or Keepers didn't have a sense of artistry or aesthetics, simply that their approach to such was pragmatic and long-term enough to stand the test of time, eschewing paint or temporary aesthetics in favor of artistry that would endure eons of time, art worked directly into the medium in question as opposed to applied over the top of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Titans themselves are made of the substance of the planets that they arise from, but beyond that are made of mostly celestial energy (Arcane and Spirit being predominant). Titan Keepers and Watchers have been demonstrated to be made of both stone and metals of various types and colors, but some entities created by or associated with the Titans like Elegon and constellars such as Algalon are made entirely of celestial energy.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Its not a valid argument to say that something can take inspiration from something without copying all its aspects?

Ie just because recent discoveries have shown irl Greek statues were painted doesn't mean wow Titan Keepers need to be updated accordingly
    No. The part where you said that the statues were designed to battle, so they didn't need color.
    The part I was very clearly refering to.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Rayne View Post
    The Watchers aren't meant to be actual Greek statues. They just evoke them.
    WHOA WHOA WHOA.
    Everyone knows only Drakthyr can Evoke.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Note how the Titans aren't painted.
    How do you show something painted in WoW other than color?

Source? Because i'm fairly sure the lore says otherwise.
    "The Titans, colossal, metallic-skinned gods from the far reaches of the cosmos, explored the newborn universe and set to work on the worlds they encountered."
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Myt..._of_the_Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Titans themselves are made of the substance of the planets that they arise from, but beyond that are made of mostly celestial energy (Arcane and Spirit being predominant). Titan Keepers and Watchers have been demonstrated to be made of both stone and metals of various types and colors, but some entities created by or associated with the Titans like Elegon and constellars such as Algalon are made entirely of celestial energy.
    Well, in Chronicles Volume 1 they are described as metallic beings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Well, in Chronicles Volume 1 they are described as metallic beings.
    In Chronicle Vol. 1 they're described as "living worlds,":
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    When the titans finally awoke, they did so as living worlds. Cosmic winds howled across their gigantic forms, bodies shrouded in a cloak of stardust, skin crisscrossed with silvery mountain peaks and oceans shimmering with latent magic. (Chronicle Vol. 1, pg. 16)
    While their key art depicts them as being somewhat vaporous and energetic, almost more akin to nebulae than physical beings. There being described as beings of metal is mostly older lore from the now defunct and non-canon RPG materials, which may have more described their various avatars as opposed to their true forms.

"We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

How do you show something painted in WoW other than color?

"The Titans, colossal, metallic-skinned gods from the far reaches of the cosmos, explored the newborn universe and set to work on the worlds they encountered."
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Myt..._of_the_Titans
    "Mythology". That's inherently not reliable information. It's also from the WC3 manual, so way outdated.

And there's a fairly big difference between colour and paint.