Page 83 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    But if we're going by your comparisons to other activities with inherent risk it should absolutely exist on the basis of necessity; i.e. for people in rural areas who need to kill varmints or cull prey animal populations, not "I want to go waste a few hundred dollars LARPing at the range".
    What comparisons, exactly, have I used where it's restricted to necessity? Exotic cars exist and are extremely easily capable of illegal stuff no one would ever "need" for instance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    *LOUD ANNOYING BUZZER*

That's not a post of theirs asking for a gun ban. I'll give you another chance.
    Sure, maybe they'd allow guns in very specific circumstances that would put owning the cool stuff out of the hands for a vast majority of people. It's not about owning just a pea shooter. It's about owning something with some actual capability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    What comparisons, exactly, have I used where it's restricted to necessity? Exotic cars exist and are extremely easily capable of illegal stuff no one would ever "need" for instance.
    Congratulations on grasping the difference between what is fundamentally a mode of transportation by design and what is fundamentally a lethal weapon by design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Congratulations on grasping the difference between what is fundamentally a mode of transportation by design and what is fundamentally a lethal weapon by design.
    You're the one who said "your comparisons." So you just extrapolated and added that whole "because a gun is deadly, you consider it differently than other activities!" when I never, in fact, indicated that at all?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, maybe they'd al--
    *LOUD ANNOYING BUZZER*

You said they were arguing for gun bans. Show your work, or see me after class. Strawmen are not welcome here, and right now, you're lying about their position.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    *LOUD ANNOYING BUZZER*

You said they were arguing for gun bans. Show your work, or see me after class. Strawmen are not welcome here, and right now, you're lying about their position.
    Sure, I concede the point they want to outright ban guns. All guns are not equal. We can start picking their brains for exactly their delineations, or we can skip that because I don't give a fuck what they are, it's less than what I'd be interested in and to use your own quote, that just makes us all "whores."

10+ Year Old Account
    You're the one who said "your comparisons." So you just extrapolated and added that whole "because a gun is deadly, you consider it differently than other activities!" when I never, in fact, indicated that at all?
    Well yeah of course I'd extrapolate that based on the assumption that you do in fact have two working brain cells and understand that the level of mitigatory restriction on something with inherent risk would vary based on that something's nature since its nature defines the attendant risks.

I could of course be entirely off base and your head could be emptier than a Russian citizen's foreign currency reserve, but I like to be charitable.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, I concede the point they want to outright ban guns.
    And you have yet to show the post where they said that. You are lying.

Pedestrians have a right to not get struck by motor vehicle, yet 7342 of them got iced as a result. But where's the car ban!?
    No, they don't, however there are laws protecting pedestrians crossing in protected crosswalks. A such a right cannot ever exist. It's a silly, pointless strawman that has nothing to do with your assertion that America is more violent because we're more "free", as if freedom and violence are inherently connected.

However, we do have systems in place to limit and address this problem!

Including licensing requirements before being able to legally operate a motor vehicle, with education, practical training, and both a written and practical test before you receive your license. And should you be a reckless driver, you'll find it increasingly difficult to find auto insurance you can afford - a requirement to operate a motor vehicle to begin with - and can have your license revoked.

I could of course be entirely off base and your head could be emptier than a Russian citizen's foreign currency reserve, but I like to be charitable.
    "Of course I expect you to think like me and be concerned about the same things and hold the same considerations I do for things and you're an idiot if not! But I'm feeling charitable."

Fuck off with your insults.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Of course I expect you to think like me and be concerned about the same things and hold the same considerations I do for things and you're an idiot if not! But I'm feeling charitable."

Fuck off with your insults.
    You first with your car analogy, rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    However, we do have systems in place to limit and address this problem!

Including licensing requirements before being able to legally operate a motor vehicle, with education, practical training, and both a written and practical test before you receive your license. And should you be a reckless driver, you'll find it increasingly difficult to find auto insurance you can afford - a requirement to operate a motor vehicle to begin with - and can have your license revoked.
    Good news! I've done all of those things and am fine with them existing, which I've stated before.

- - - Updated - - -

You first with your car analogy, rofl.
    What insult did I sling, exactly? rofl.

10+ Year Old Account
    What insult did I sling, exactly? rofl.
    Didn't say you did, try reading again.

The point remains that comparing cars to firearms is an incredibly bad analogy. It's also an argument against cars, not in favor of guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't say you did, try reading again.

The point remains that comparing cars to firearms is an incredibly bad analogy. It's also an argument against cars, not in favor of guns.
    Lawn Darts anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Sure, then we can do without the comparison (what I originally did): the rate of gun violence isn't high enough for me to give a shit about it when talking about "fixing the problem." There is no large sweeping problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Lawn Darts anyone?
    I mean, the person in question likely thinks that it should be okay to market harmful products as being appropriate for kids because anyone who buys that product is obviously an idiot who deserves to have their kids maimed or killed so... probably not the best example.

That's the fun thing about libertarians/anarcho-capitalists. Because the kind of society they claim to want will never be actualized they can just take outrageously bullshit positions without having to actually reckon with the inevitable results of any of those positions.

As usual, the difference between people who treat politics as an abstract thought experiment to be endlessly 'critiqued' versus the people who understand politics as a matter of actual lives and actual welfare is painfully obvious.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, then we can do without the comparison (what I originally did): the rate of gun violence isn't high enough for me to give a shit about it when talking about "fixing the problem." There is no large sweeping problem.
    The 'large sweeping problem' is the fact we have a significant amount of gun violence in the first place compared to literally every other developed country on the planet. Our gun homicide rate is higher than the entirety of the EU combined and then some, and even per-capita gun deaths against other 1st world nations with remotely similar ownership of firearms don't even come close to compare to ours.

Like the rest of the world shows us that there -is- a way to solve it, but unfortunately we have too many people who are either too self interested or to emotionally stunted to give a shit about anyone else and it keeps us from making any meaningful headway.

10+ Year Old Account
    "The problem isn't significant enough for me to give a shit" and "there is no large sweeping problem" are not the same argument, and the latter is just blatantly false.

And let's not pretend that there's any level of significance high enough for you to ever start giving a shit, either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Like the rest of the world shows us that there -is- a way to solve it, but unfortunately we have too many people who are either too self interested or to emotionally stunted to give a shit about anyone else and it keeps us from making any meaningful headway.
    Case in point:

Sure, maybe they'd allow guns in very specific circumstances that would put owning the cool stuff out of the hands for a vast majority of people. It's not about owning just a pea shooter. It's about owning something with some actual capability.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, fuck it going to add to this: Almost as many US Citizens have been killed by firearms -this year- as Ukrainians have been killed by Russian invaders and they're in the middle of a fucking war against a super power deliberately trying to kill civilians.

So, not surprising you are defending the terrorists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    So in the wake of the Uvalde shooting, the Texas school districts are reforming school police, looking into ways to keep armed psychos off school property, offering counseling for the victims and advocating for better gun control policies.

I'm just kidding.

They're requiring students to wear see-through backpacks.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/18/us/da...cks/index.html
    What about the band kids, just right off the top of my head as an ex-band kid myself? Are the cases for kids cellos and saxophones and such all gonna be replaced with clear versions, too? Because it's dead simple to just stick an AR-15 in some of those bigger cases and leave the instrument at home, or any number of smaller weapons in smaller cases.

Duffels for sports gear? Can we still bring cakes are do all such things have to be clear jello from now on so nobody sneaks a gun into the school inside a cake?

This is just fuckin' stupid. Everyone involved in this decisions need to be slapped for being so fuckin' stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

So you think even 1 dead kid is enough to justify restricting the rights of 100 million + people who want guns?

Yes, like I said, certain things carry risk. Guns carry risk of loss of life due to their very nature. I'm fine with those risks considering the incidence events versus the number of non-incidence events. I wonder what the stats would say for "number of deaths versus number of bullets fired" and how bad that would look for your argument of fear mongering and zero tolerance.
    When those 100+ million people don't really have good justifications for wanting guns, or are mishandling those weapons so consistently that the USA has the massive gun violence rates it currently "enjoys", then yes.

One dead kid who needn't have died is plenty of reason to have that discussion and make changes.

And unfortunately for you, it's way more than one.

https://www.bradyunited.org/key-statistics

Statistically, 22 children are shot every day in the USA. 5 of these kids die. 3 of those were murder, the rest mostly suicide. 8 are intentionally shot, but survive. And 8 more are shot every single day because someone was fucking around with a family-owned weapon.

Daily. Not monthly. Not yearly. Those figures are daily.