Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Theory - Galakrond, the Primalist of spirit. (Spoilers for Dragonflight)

After reviewing the small amount of data-mined dragonflight content so far, i feel i have a plausible theory on the origins of Galakrond's power.

. So far we have seen 4 Primal proto-drake leaders. One suited each of the typical 4 elements. However we know that "spirit" is the 5th element, consumed by a world-soul during it's development.

. We see hints with the new corrupted treants and guardian models that life/spirit elemental corruption can mimic undeath in a way. Contributing to why Galakrond's ability after consuming his kin seemed linked to necromancy. (The un-living)

. In dawn of the Aspects it is loosely implied that Try had something to do with the corruption of Galakrond. I believe this was not direct but influenced by the Titian watcher forge's created to speed up and cultivate Azeroth's growth. Resulting in the spirit element depleting faster. (This is my most tin-foiled hat point, however it would also loosely explain the Primal flights anonymity towards the Titian flights.)

- Galakrond, linked to the element of spirit and leader of the Primalists.
    While mighty, the source of his power was slowly consumed by the titian world soul driving him mad. To maintain his body and power he had to consume his own kin resulting in the events with Tyr and the 5 betrayers who sided with the titans.

We will not see his return, we we learn of his betrayal. The story of the Titian's shaded grey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Perhaps instead of Spirit, Galakrond could be the Primalist of Decay? The element of Decay definitely seems to me more like it better matches the Galakrond we see in Dawn of the Aspects, a mutating monstrosity of a proto-dragon whose essence can reanimate the dead and poisons the living.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Perhaps instead of Spirit, Galakrond could be the Primalist of Decay? The element of Decay definitely seems to me more like it better matches the Galakrond we see in Dawn of the Aspects, a mutating monstrosity of a proto-dragon whose essence can reanimate the dead and poisons the living.
    This seems far more likely, it's what I've been suspecting since alpha info started coming.

Decay also seems to be getting used in-game for the first time by the Azure Span gnolls, and the other corrupted stuff mentioned in the first post also fit it better than Spirit. Those two elements seem to be opposites.

I can see Galakrond getting a more nuanced motive and backstory, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't return as the final boss of Dragonflight.

Maybe Galakrond was the Incarnate of Spirit, who got CORRUPTED into the Incarnate of Decay? And likely by nobody but the Titans themselves, either by accident or on purpose.

This could be a note towards how the Titans are obsessed with Order and Ordering worlds, and that may not always lead to the best results even if their intentions are good (or at least better than those of the other Forces)
    Last edited by Cheezits; 2022-07-20 at 07:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tyr has got some 'splaining to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Which he'll have to do from the afterlife, wherever that is for titan-forged Keepers.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Which he'll have to do from the afterlife, wherever that is for titan-forged Keepers.
    Well not even. Wasn’t it heavily implied that the “spirit” Kalec saw in Dawn of the Aspects directing him to the artefact was basically Tyr? So if that’s true then Tyr is well and truely there just in hiding/building strength/observing from a distance.

I do think we will have the return of Tyr by the end of the expansion and the return of Galakrond as well.
    Last edited by Hobbidaggy; 2022-07-21 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Added image of paragraph from Dawn of the Aspects

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbidaggy View Post
    Well not even. Wasn’t it heavily implied that the “spirit” Kalec saw in Dawn of the Aspects directing him to the artefact was basically Tyr? So if that’s true then Tyr is well and truely there just in hiding/building strength/observing from a distance.

https://i.ibb.co/ggvZ7v9/1-D9-EE990-...4245146-BC.jpg

I do think we will have the return of Tyr by the end of the expansion and the return of Galakrond as well.
    Given that Tyr died in the Tirifal Glades, expending his life to kill Zakazj and grievously wound Kith'ix, it would either have to be a projection from the Spark of Tyr that Kalec found, or some aspect of his spirit remaining in Northrend. What that projection or spirit might know, if anything, is anyone's guess. And it's an open question if it even was aspect of Tyr at all.

Whatever gets us an in-game Galakrond. I've been wanting to see his story and presence in-game ever since I saw my heroes turn into him in Hearthstone with all the cool menacing quotes and threats.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    He has caused a lot of problems but also a lot of fixes by playing with the dragons. Making Aspects was very beneficial but also made a lot of problems. Gotta wonder did the good outweigh the problems it all caused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbidaggy View Post
    He has caused a lot of problems but also a lot of fixes by playing with the dragons. Making Aspects was very beneficial but also made a lot of problems. Gotta wonder did the good outweigh the problems it all caused.
    That makes wonder if Odyn might have some role in Dragonflight, given his historic opposition to the creation of the Aspects themselves. Would be interesting to see him and the remaining Aspects meet and perhaps have it out to some degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is Galakrond's powers in Hearthstone a WHT IF. situation or just a window into what he is capable of?

since they change depending on the hero that invokes him
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    Is Galakrond's powers in Hearthstone a WHT IF. situation or just a window into what he is capable of?

since they change depending on the hero that invokes him
    Definitely a "what if," as no Hearthstone lore is canon in WoW unless it's explicitly ported over (e.g. Tortollans, Sir Finley, etc.)

Given that Tyr died in the Tirifal Glades, expending his life to kill Zakazj and grievously wound Kith'ix, it would either have to be a projection from the Spark of Tyr that Kalec found, or some aspect of his spirit remaining in Northrend. What that projection or spirit might know, if anything, is anyone's guess. And it's an open question if it even was aspect of Tyr at all.
    That’s true. But you never know. The Titans were also dead and the spark went to Ra to warn him of what happened but their essence was captured and they were rebuilt. Tyr being the crafty little devil could have setup a countermeasure for himself that would allow him to be preserved and awoken at a specific time. I don’t know really but I’m sure someone could pull something out of thin air if they wanted to bring Tyr back hahaha

That makes wonder if Odyn might have some role in Dragonflight, given his historic opposition to the creation of the Aspects themselves. Would be interesting to see him and the remaining Aspects meet and perhaps have it out to some degree.
    Yeah I can’t recall anything specific about Odin and The Aspects in anything we have seen since we met Odin so it would be a really interesting interaction.

Count me on board with the theory.

This could also be the catalyst for Nozdormu's turn.

5+ Year Old Account
    You know what I don't get? Why did the Aspects fight Galakrond in Northrend when they're all from the Dragon Isles?

I know people don't like "the jailer was behind everything", and neither do I if I'm honest, but one of the few things I think could've worked to retcon as being the Jailer's work is Galakrond. Galakrond seems like Azeroth's first exposure to decay magic, and it would have made sense if the nazrethim had messed with Tyr's plans in an attempt to start death-ifying Azeroth early.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    You know what I don't get? Why did the Aspects fight Galakrond in Northrend when they're all from the Dragon Isles?
    Back in the dragon times there were no 'dragon isles', for one, and for two I'm pretty sure they only inherited what became the dragon isles after they were lifted to become the Aspects. Prior to that they were just protodragons who fought a giant dragon wherever he decided to be at the time of the attack.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Because the dragons didn't seclude themselves to a single group of islands but where flying all over Kalimdor, and that's just where he ended up dying.

Formerly known as Arafal

Did Primalists exist before the blessing of the Aspects? I'd say Galakrond may have inspired them but likely existed well before them.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Because the dragons didn't seclude themselves to a single group of islands but where flying all over Kalimdor, and that's just where he ended up dying.
    But the Dragon Islands were never a part of Kalimdor?

How else do you explain the cinematic trailer where the stonedude watches the well of eternity from the dragon isle shore?