Thread: Disintegrate

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Let's put the unrelated and rolling debate of whether the cosmos is or isn't arcane-aspected to bed and return to the actual topic of the thread, a Disintegrate-like effect for the Evoker class.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Let's put the unrelated and rolling debate of whether the cosmos is or isn't arcane-aspected to bed and return to the actual topic of the thread, a Disintegrate-like effect for the Evoker class.
    You know a thread is bad when even the mods don't know what the OP is trying to say.

--- snip ---

Sorry, I was writing my last post about arcane magic before you had put this up. So didn't get to see this until after I had posted it.

Mod Edit: I snipped your reply to the derailing tangent to ensure it doesn't keep going.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2022-07-20 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Removed original reply

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    You know a thread is bad when even the mods don't know what the OP is trying to say.
    Based on the OP's post, they're asking why the Evoker has a Disintegrate-type ability where the Mage (oddly using the Diablo Wizard to stand in for the archetypal fantasy Mage) class in WoW does not. That's a fine question to ask and is at least somewhat on the topic of the thread, whereas arguing over what is or isn't "cosmic" or "arcane" is not.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Based on the OP's post, they're asking why the Evoker has a Disintegrate-type ability where the Mage (oddly using the Diablo Wizard to stand in for the archetypal fantasy Mage) class in WoW does not. That's a fine question to ask and is at least somewhat on the topic of the thread, whereas arguing over what is or isn't "cosmic" or "arcane" is not.
    obviously, evokers are mages

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    obviously, evokers are mages
    I would agree, but I suppose the question is open enough to ask - especially since Evokers have some unique abilities based on their natures (or in this case, their draconic Essence) that a typical Mage could never leverage without access to that Essence.

10+ Year Old Account
    The OP's question was answered on page 2;

This is the Evoker's Disintegrate ability;

That's why Mages don't have it, because they can't turn into dragons and breath arcane fire from their mouths.

Why is roll a monk ability instead of a demon hunter? They have vault in diablo and hots

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/30/31...ef63cfb6c6.jpg

That's why Mages don't have it, because they can't turn into dragons and breath arcane fire from their mouths.
    And yet mages have an ability called "Dragon's Breath" that literally summons a dragon's head to breathe fire on enemies, so why couldn't that happen for this "disintegrate" spell?

Oddly?

More like Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacu View Post
    Why is roll a monk ability instead of a demon hunter? They have vault in diablo and hots
    Because Demon Hunter is not a Monk?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Oddly?
    Yes, oddly. Mixing IP's tends to cause confusion, as it certainly has in this thread. Diablo's retinue of casters and the ones in WoW have very different lore and entirely different gameplay.

Yes, oddly. Mixing IP's tends to cause confusion, as it certainly has in this thread. Diablo's retinue of casters and the ones in WoW have very different lore and entirely different gameplay.
    I wouldn't say it's very different.
    Lore-wise, they resemble the Highborne.
    Gameplay-wise, they definitely resemble the Mage.

I wouldn't say it's very different.
    Lore-wise, they resemble the Highborne.
    Gameplay-wise, they definitely resemble the Mage.
    Yes, very different. Having a few similarities does not preclude them being very different. I can find similarities between a toy car and a boeing 747. I can also find similarities between humans and trees. But none of that means they're not very different from each other.

AFAIK, there's no elves in the Diablo world, much less any 'highborne'. Gameplay-wise? That's a vague similarity because the Diablo wizard also "definitely resembles" the shaman class, with lightning spells and spells with melee range.

Why is Disintegrate an Evoker ability instead of a Mage one?
    It is an iconic Li-Ming ability:

Disintegrate
    80 Mana Cooldown: 20 seconds
    Channel a powerful beam, dealing 480 damage over 2.6 seconds to enemies while they are in it. The direction of the beam changes with your mouse cursor position.

But FROST mages do have Ray of Frost which is pretty much the same ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    AFAIK, there's no elves in the Diablo world, much less any 'highborne'. Gameplay-wise? That's a vague similarity because the Diablo wizard also "definitely resembles" the shaman class, with lightning spells and spells with melee range.
    You are aware that WoW Mages use Lightning as well, right?
    The WC2 Mage and Medivh, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    But FROST mages do have Ray of Frost which is pretty much the same ability.
    It is similar, but not identical.
    For instance, the Diablo 3 Wizard has both Ray of Frost and Disintegrate - distinguishing between the two.

... this thread has 8 pages?

=O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    And yet mages have an ability called "Dragon's Breath" that literally summons a dragon's head to breathe fire on enemies, so why couldn't that happen for this "disintegrate" spell?
    Summoning a magical dragon head =/= transforming into a dragon and breathing spellfrost from mouth ala Kalecgos.

- - - Updated - - -

More like Frost.
    To be accurate it’s Spellfrost, the signature magic school of the Blue Dragonflight.

I don’t think mages have many spellfrost abilities.

Because it's a Blizzard game?
    I personally hope we get a Space Terran Marine class.

To be accurate it’s Spellfrost, the signature magic school of the Blue Dragonflight.

I don’t think mages have many spellfrost abilities.
    Original Disintegrate was never spellfrost.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I personally hope we get a Space Terran Marine class.
    Miles away from my example.

Miles away from my example.
    Diablo has as much to do with Warcraft as Starcraft does. So no, any argument you have that Disintegrate is a Mage spell makes as much sense as that the Marine should be a WoW class.