Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Wow, good thing I'm leveling a brand new character now lol. They're gutting the exp required, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Varaben View Post
    Wow, good thing I'm leveling a brand new character now lol. They're gutting the exp required, but oh well.
    Most of the reduction is from 50-60, so stopping at 50 should cut 10+ hours off levelling even with these changes.

But then you can't play it until DF releases, of course

1-70 will take as long as 1-60 takes now.

People are complaining? Thats peak WoW community bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Cool. Why are people getting outraged over this, exactly?
    Because they are fucking morons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuujCraft View Post
    1-70 will take as long as 1-60 takes now.

People are complaining? Thats peak WoW community bullshit.
    If they gonna nerf xp required why not just make leveling take 1 second, it would make it so nobody ever "wastes" time on something Blizzard thinks is pointless anyway.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiteck View Post
    Should remove levels in any future expansions above 60, instead have a system where you still do quests/dungeons etc but your character becomes powerful in other ways. In 3-4 expansions we will be at 120 again...
    I mean it's at least 5 expansions. Math is hard?

Pretty sure going up to 100+ and squishing every 5 or so expansions is the best compromise, being "nerfed" to level 50 every expansion isn't going to feel great.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    If they gonna nerf xp required why not just make leveling take 1 second, it would make it so nobody ever "wastes" time on something Blizzard thinks is pointless anyway.
    What's complicated here? If Blizzard thinks the current leveling rate is good, why would they make it take longer? Obviously this has to happen to maintain the same "1 to max level" time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DelusionalBear View Post
    for those of us who can't think in negative percentages
    Wow, what a non-issue. The WoW playerbase really is awful (and dumb).

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is nice.

mostly looks like they're smoothing out the levels in preparation for DF.

1-60 is the new 1-50 and will take roughly the same time. That's nice. Especially for me with, uh, 11 characters stuck at 50 because I hate shadowlands that much lmao

I wonder how many levels they'd gain when the change goes in. Looks like 4.5 if my math is right

Give me alpha so I can test!

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    this is beyond ridiculous. leveling was ajoke already and htey are nerfing it ? just remove leveling to 50 completly and leave storymode or something there.
    I mean so what? No one cares about leveling really other than learning a class by getting skills slowly and working on rotations. Leveling is like 1% of the actual game, everything is at max lvl. Not sure what your actual argument is. Do you want leveling to take longer or something?

Quote Originally Posted by SniperCT View Post

I wonder how many levels they'd gain when the change goes in. Looks like 4.5 if my math is right
    Total XP for a current level 50 is 2.16 million, while with the new numbers you need 2.09 million to level to 60.
    I doubt they will get their level based on total xp, then all level 50 characters would be level 60 on prepatch.
    If they lock the chars to their current level, you need 669k xp to level them to 60, so around 1 Shadowlands zone, or 2 legion invasions.

Interesting is the just announced 50% xp buff.
    Leveling 50-60 in the next weeks takes "only" 1,8 million xp instead of 2,7 million.
    Leveling in prepatch from 50 to 60 will still be 2.5 times faster.

But leveling 1-50 with the xp buff now, is the same as 1-50 in the pre patch.
    Currently: 2,16 million to 50, with xp buff: 1,44 million
    Prepatch: 1,42 million.

So if you want every class to 60, level many of them to 50 now and the rest in the prepatch.
    Last edited by morchel; 2022-07-20 at 02:04 PM.

Leveling is outdated in today's gaming. People just want to play the end game.

Nice, I expected they'd retune the experience needed to keep 1-50 and 1-60 roughly the same but a 73% reduction in 50-60 makes the 50% bonus exp event feel less efficient than just leveling 1-50.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerilea View Post
    That's because it is really hard to make leveling compelling at all. Anything you do during the level phase is essentially negated at max level in any game. In WoW it makes it worse as you get weaker when you level until you get gear at equal level.

So because of that a lot of people want to be max level so they can actually do the activities and enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by morchel View Post
    Total XP for a current level 50 is 2.16 million, while with the new numbers you need 2.09 million to level to 60.
    I doubt they will get their level based on total xp, then all level 50 characters would be level 60 on prepatch.
    If they lock the chars to their current level, you need 669k xp to level them to 60, so around 1 Shadowlands zone, or 2 legion invasions.

Interesting is the just announced 50% xp buff.
    Leveling 50-60 in the next weeks takes "only" 1,8 million xp instead of 2,7 million.
    Leveling in prepatch from 50 to 60 will still be 2.5 times faster.

But leveling 1-50 with the xp buff now, is the same as 1-50 in the pre patch.
    Currently: 2,16 million to 50, with xp buff: 1,44 million
    Prepatch: 1,42 million.

So if you want every class to 60, level many of them to 50 now and the rest in the prepatch.
    Ty, this helps. One time like pre legion they messed with leveling xp like this, I had a number of characters gain 1-3 levels lol

My lowest level is 46 and I can probably wait until prepatch for her too. I have 13 50s, a 55 and a 60. I just... ran into a wall when I hit shadowlands.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    That's because it is really hard to make leveling compelling at all. Anything you do during the level phase is essentially negated at max level in any game. In WoW it makes it worse as you get weaker when you level until you get gear at equal level.

So because of that a lot of people want to be max level so they can actually do the activities and enjoy them.
    Yeah, there's nothing really compelling about leveling. In some other games I play (ff14 the big one but not the only one) leveling is basically part of playing the story so you at least feel like you're doing something worthwhile.

WoW's story is so up and down that it really depends on which expansion you're doing and once you've done that 2 or 3 times you're over it anyway lol

Quote Originally Posted by SniperCT View Post
    Yeah, there's nothing really compelling about leveling. In some other games I play (ff14 the big one but not the only one) leveling is basically part of playing the story so you at least feel like you're doing something worthwhile.

WoW's story is so up and down that it really depends on which expansion you're doing and once you've done that 2 or 3 times you're over it anyway lol
    Leveling is a part of the story in WoW as well. Just even doing that still doesn't make compelling. Leveling in a MMO just feels weird and clunky I guess since it's a means to an end since all the action is at max level. In RPG's it works out fine because you are building yourself to the finale and that's the game and it isn't geared towards working at max level. There are some side things sure, but it's not the "main goal".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post

What's complicated here? If Blizzard thinks the current leveling rate is good, why would they make it take longer? Obviously this has to happen to maintain the same "1 to max level" time.
    What are you even talking about
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by VoidSeeker199X View Post
    They obviously want you to buy level boosts.
    Nerfing xp required to level means they want you to buy a boost? That is some backwards logic you got going on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faerilea View Post
    There are plenty of people who love to level up toons as well. SO, no, people do not just want to play end game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierah View Post
    ... These nerfs will make it possible to potentially get out of those levels by potentially finishing one zone's content. Way too fast...
    That's exactly their goal. Look at it from a new player perspective. You start in exiles reach, finish at level 10-12 and then do BFA with about 10 levels per zone and the last few levels by doing the rest of the war campaign. Ding 60 and start Dragonflight. That's what they're tuning the leveling for. To get from 1-60 by doing exiles reach and the main storyline of BFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    What are you even talking about
    Math? I'm not sure what was hard for you to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    That's exactly their goal. Look at it from a new player perspective. You start in exiles reach, finish at level 10-12 and then do BFA with about 10 levels per zone and the last few levels by doing the rest of the war campaign. Ding 60 and start Dragonflight. That's what they're tuning the leveling for. To get from 1-60 by doing exiles reach and the main storyline of BFA.
    Yes, they reduced the xp needed to level 10. They want people to get to level 10 fast, because most skills are now locked in the specialization and the skill trees.
    Pre level 10 you are lucky if your class has two skills that do something relevant.
    There is also the problem with overwhelming people with stuff at the same time. If Exiles reach now goes to level 14, they have enough time to look over the skill tree, before getting tossed into bfa and having to adapt to a different story and location.