The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Aqua-man is not a hero people give a damn about FF4 is a bit different. Who do you think writes the reviews that ends up creating a fervor in the mass audience when it comes to comic book movies hint it's comic book nerds who grew up and became the writers of the "geek section" of reviews. There is a difference between changing headline characters and changing secondary ones. Marvel has largely kept headliners fairly comic accurate. It doesn't matter how well a movie is written if you can't get people to come see it. Solo is a great example of this it is probably the second best of the disney set behind rogue one but people didn't even bother going to see it because of what TLJ did to a beloved property.
    You might not want to hear it because we’re just another group of them but the mass audience doesn’t care about nerds or geeks writing reviews making YouTube videos or posting on forums like we are. These movies have gotten to such a large state despite people like us not because of it, the studios know they need to reach much much further then those who actually care about comic or book accuracy that’s the whole reason so many changes are made.

And yes people didn’t care about aqua man yet even with a lower draw and then race swapping on top of it the movie still did well and breathed fresh air into the character that likely hasn’t been seen since comics were at there peak In the 40-60’s as far as the mass public goes.

Then of course we have batman and them making cat woman black who is likely more popular then Johnny storm has ever been and it didn’t suffer for it at all.

Changing an important characters race doesn’t hurt movies making bad movies hurts movies.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-07-20 at 02:22 AM.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Also have the different media aspect of The boys/Watchman vs Rings of power, they are both comic adaptations vs a novel.

If people want to argue it can be a good show despite all the changes/differences from its source, it is certainly possible, but again to me the reason they choose to adapt LoTR is the fan base/deep history/stories Tolkein wrote. So if you are going to adapt it, why make such grand changes already, it COULD be better sure, but you then have to try and be a better story teller than arguably the greatest fantasy writer of all time. Good luck.
    Except they’re NOT adapting a novel, or LotR for that matter. They’re taking inspiration from what essentially amounted to a collection of notes (many of which were being revised by the author before he died).

This is also a different medium, and it’s not erasing the original source material. I was one of the many who finally got around to finishing the books after I watched the Fellowship of the Ring. The changes that were made to adapt the stories to movie format didn’t detract from my enjoyment of reading the books. If the movies had eschewed the benefits and pacing of adapting the written narrative to the more condensed visual medium then perhaps it wouldn’t have sparked as much interest in the original works (not just for me but for many other people as well).

Saying 80% faithful is ok while 70% faithful is not is pretty arbitrary as is. In the end, it’s better for a show to be a good show that takes inspiration from the source material rather than end up being a bad show that tried its best to be as faithful as possible.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-07-20 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Is The Boys a good adaptation? It differs wildly from the comics. What about Game of Thrones? Even in the first four seasons which were pretty book accurate, some things, like Arya meeting Tywin Lannister, were made up for the show. The whole Ros storyline as well.

Usually, it being a quality piece of media, and following the themes and narrative through-lines of the original work, is what makes a show a good adaptation. Not it being a word for word translation onto the screen.
    If you are being totally honest the only thing you really need to see to know what the creators intention are with the show(and how faithful they aim to be) is the "super fan" thing they made.

Those people where carefully picked out and quite obviously none of them where actual fans of lotr. It was literally antirely politically motivated :/

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    If you are being totally honest the only thing you really need to see to know what the creators intention are with the show(and how faithful they aim to be) is the "super fan" thing they made.

Those people where carefully picked out and quite obviously none of them where actual fans of lotr. It was literally antirely politically motivated :/
    Was that something the writers, actors and special effects dudes did?

Also what do you think "political" means?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Was that something the writers, actors and special effects dudes did?

Also what do you think "political" means?
    Its pretty irrelevant what the actors and special effects dudes does?

In terms of political: One of the main goals of Peter Jackson and the old lotr movie crew was to not implement their personal politics and bias into an adaptation of tolkiens work because they felt like that would potentially take away from the authenticity of the work. This new adaptation is highly motivated by wokeness and the creators personal political agendas as seen in the casting, the dialog and the "super fans" trailer. Its actually quite incredible that such a short trailer manages to show that off, but it does.

Its actually quite incredible that such a short trailer manages to show that off, but it does.
    I know, right? The black guy had dialogue and everything. The audacity.

10+ Year Old Account

In terms of political: One of the main goals of Peter Jackson and the old lotr movie crew was to not implement their personal politics and bias into an adaptation of tolkiens work because they felt like that would potentially take away from the authenticity of the work. This new adaptation is highly motivated by wokeness and the creators personal political agendas as seen in the casting, the dialog and the "super fans" trailer. Its actually quite incredible that such a short trailer manages to show that off, but it does.
    Are you also mad that Aragorn isn't 7' tall and jacked as fuck in Jackson's original trilogy?

Some characters can appear different than their literal book descriptions but their actors bring a sense of gravitas to the role that they make it undeniably their own. Viggo is Aragorn for many people, even if he's shorter and thinner than he should be, perennially dirtier than he should be, and even though he doesn't carry around the broken Narsil in a sheathe as a testament to his birthright.

When you're getting mad about nitpicky silly things just remember that there was a massive outcry when Jackson's casting was announced by "superfans" who were frothing with rage that Viggo had been cast due to his slight frame compared to the literal description of Aragorn. Now those people look like silly dipshits, because Viggo owned the fuck out of that role as much as Hugo, Cate, Ian(s) and Christopher did theirs.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Well yeah, they're the people who are actually creating the series. Amazon might be promoting and paying for it but ultimately those are the dudes making it.

Sorry dude but these aren't "political," diverse casts and greater representation are social and marketing decisions.

7+ Year Old Account
    This new adaptation is highly motivated by wokeness and the creators personal political agendas as seen in the casting,
    Just want to point out that I was completely on the money when I pointed to black people being part of the "woke fiasco" you brought up even though you denied it.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Ah, so you don’t know what the word “political” means…
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-07-21 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    For all of D&D's faults as original creators in the last few seasons of GoT, they were newbies at running big shows (and their writing credits on movies was horrendous) and managed to make 4 great seasons of an adapted work.
    Becuse they did have detailed books to follow, the story did start to go of the rail then they did improvised, and totaly collapsed then they did only have George R. R. Martin notes to use.

Now you have two inexperienced newbies who only have Tolkien's "notes" to use. Its a smale history index. Why do you expect a diffrent result then GoT later seasons?

Not also, after all the trailers and official articles, what is the story about? Beside action herion Galadriel will do action stuff. This show you how weak the story will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    You might not want to hear it because we’re just another group of them but the mass audience doesn’t care about nerds or geeks writing reviews making YouTube videos or posting on forums like we are. These movies have gotten to such a large state despite people like us not because of it, the studios know they need to reach much much further then those who actually care about comic or book accuracy that’s the whole reason so many changes are made.

And yes people didn’t care about aqua man yet even with a lower draw and then race swapping on top of it the movie still did well and breathed fresh air into the character that likely hasn’t been seen since comics were at there peak In the 40-60’s as far as the mass public goes.

Then of course we have batman and them making cat woman black who is likely more popular then Johnny storm has ever been and it didn’t suffer for it at all.

Changing an important characters race doesn’t hurt movies making bad movies hurts movies.
    People went to see aqua man for two reasons to see Khal Drogo looking hot and pre downfall Amber Heard wearing a skintight suit. It was nothing to do with the story it was super hero Baywatch.

7+ Year Old Account
    People went to see aqua man for two reasons to see Khal Drogo looking hot and pre downfall Amber Heard wearing a skintight suit. It was nothing to do with the story it was super hero Baywatch.
    so your saying replacing white characters with minority ones works if they are well cast and hot?

I mean that’s one way to defeat your own argument I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    These people have a very binary view of things. They don't have any room for "Let's wait and see". They have decided in advance that it's an unholy travesty and if you don't agree...you are raping Tolkien's Corpse.
    Isn't the point of advertisement to help the audience form a view of what they're getting? Especially since its designed to skew audience perception to view the product in the most positive light possible? They aren't spending millions of dollars in promotion so people will 'wait and see'. They want people excited and energized and signing up for amazon ASAP.

Its quite worrying when something designed to make people like something, has the opposite result.

From what I've seen, and perhaps many others, is that yes, when promotion makes something look bad, its usually because its bad.

The term 'don't judge a book by its cover' worked in the era when book covers were tossed on and cheap. It doesn't really make sense when you have a multi-million dollar add campaign with experts and focus groups contribution to what is finally displayed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean as bi guy I was only interested in seeing Jason Momoa look hot and wet. :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

The costume design keeps getting worse. The (man)boobplate + painted on scale armor is exceptional. I also don't understand why they are turning Tar-Míriel into a warrior character when there is no basis for this... "fairer than silver or ivory or pearls" indeed.

The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    The costume design keeps getting worse. The (man)boobplate + painted on scale armor is exceptional. I also don't understand why they are turning Tar-Míriel into a warrior character when there is no basis for this... "fairer than silver or ivory or pearls" indeed.

<picture 1>
    Is that a scale armour printed shirt?

I like to think these are just promo shots and it would look better once they air, but these costumes.... they are a bit clean and new. None of them look worn or used. It doesn't cost anything extra to rough up some items of clothing.

Also funny to see boob armour is being embraced
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-07-21 at 05:19 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

I like to think these are just promo shots and it would look better once they air, but these costumes.... they are a bit clean and new. None of them look worn or used. It doesn't cost anything extra to rough up some items of clothing.
    Pre-shooting, you're correct. After shooting, yeah quite a bit.

but yeah, these are probably promo images on non-final images. Will hopefully be sorted when VFX / Grade is properly done.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Isn't the point of advertisement to help the audience form a view of what they're getting? Especially since its designed to skew audience perception to view the product in the most positive light possible? They aren't spending millions of dollars in promotion so people will 'wait and see'. They want people excited and energized and signing up for amazon ASAP.

Its quite worrying when something designed to make people like something, has the opposite result.

From what I've seen, and perhaps many others, is that yes, when promotion makes something look bad, its usually because its bad.

The term 'don't judge a book by its cover' worked in the era when book covers were tossed on and cheap. It doesn't really make sense when you have a multi-million dollar add campaign with experts and focus groups contribution to what is finally displayed.
    There's a difference between seeeing a trailer and saying "No, I don't think I'm interested in that" and actively campaigning "This is raping the corpse of Tolkien"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Yes.
    I mean, let's just call it like it is. These are just bad costumes. They don't look like armor. Compare this to the costumes they made for the Peter Jackson trilogy (which had a smaller budget than this show's first season even when adjusted for inflation). What a joke.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?