Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    The new Gnoll model's animations are quite complex, but there is no female model to be found.
    I wonder if this is a design direction they are taking from now on, now that there are no genders to the playable races, and if that could be an allied race then.
    Blizzard dont know what a male and female is anymore, they follow the genderless woke agenda.
    Pretty sure we will never see a male or female model anymore but more like these wierd lizzard people that are now playable that can fit both.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Blizzard dont know what a male and female is anymore, they follow the genderless woke agenda.
    Pretty sure we will never see a male or female model anymore but more like these wierd lizzard people that are now playable that can fit both.
    Shit some one should probably tell blizzard they are doing it wrong adding male blood elf and female humans to the drac’s when they aren’t suppose to know what male and female is, not to mention the new tuskar, centaur, and giant models.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

I found this. Much, much better than I could do and fixes all the problems perfectly.
    Last edited by Le Conceptuel; 2022-07-21 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Ehhh.. given what hyenas are actually like, this might be a case where you could reasonably do that. Titty-lizards would also be god awful fur territory.

Then again, not having a female model (or hell, body type 2, lol) is fairly common for mobs. They put a ton of work into rigging and animating the model, but for all we know that could be so they don't look like total garbage for the in engine cinematics if they end up playing a major role in the expansion.

For comparison though, the new furbolg seems to be using the same rig as the new stone furbolg, so it looks all screwed up. That might mean they're not playing a major role in the expansion. Might mean the rigging and animation isn't finished but they needed good enough placeholders in for testers during alpha. There's also no female model. Going to also suggest that bear-people would not be a case where you could get away with one model for both sexes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Shit some one should probably tell blizzard they are doing it wrong adding male blood elf and female humans to the drac’s when they aren’t suppose to know what male and female is, not to mention the new tuskar, centaur, and giant models.
    You must refer to them as thin and bulky now.

The new Gnoll model's animations are quite complex, but there is no female model to be found.
    I wonder if this is a design direction they are taking from now on, now that there are no genders to the playable races, and if that could be an allied race then.
    They added Tuskarr with tits. There are just some races they decide don't make sense to have female bodies, like Sethrak and Jinyu.

Dracthyr prove that they don't have to have tits to be playable, so this is a non-issue.

The 3D models are actually up on Wowhead, so you can compare the models directly -

New -
    https://ptr.wowhead.com/news/new-gno...viewer:1:175:0

Old
    www.wowhead.com/npc=448/hogger#modelviewer

They don't even look like they're trying to be the same creature.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2022-07-21 at 03:19 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    The 3D models are actually up on Wowhead, so you can compare the models directly -

New -
    https://ptr.wowhead.com/news/new-gno...viewer:1:175:0

Old
    www.wowhead.com/npc=448/hogger#modelviewer

They don't even look like they're trying to be the same creature.
    This is literally one of the reasons I am very hesitate on playing anymore. A lot of the “edge” and brutality seems to be missing from anything we have saw for DF and in SL. Where is the sense of danger just by looking at something now? Why does it have to look like it came off fortnite?

So weirdly, due to what seems a bug in WOWHEAD you can compare all the models.

https://ptr.wowhead.com/news/new-gno...acelift-327715

Each model has a link to preview it. If you click to view any in Model Viewer you'll see the new model. If you right click and do "Open in new tab" it will show the old version of that mob that this new one is replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    So weirdly, due to what seems a bug in WOWHEAD you can compare all the models.

https://ptr.wowhead.com/news/new-gno...acelift-327715

Each model has a link to preview it. If you click to view any in Model Viewer you'll see the new model. If you right click and do "Open in new tab" it will show the old version of that mob that this new one is replacing.

It kinda makes sense. It looks like, to me at least, that they're redoing the models to make them rig-able with the same armor and gear as player models. I'm in agreement about the faces for the gnolls (I mean, really, they're hyenas, not chihuahuas), but the updated models are a good thing for greater flexibility, which their engine sorely needed.

That 3D viewer only makes me appreciate the old gnoll better. The screenshots don't do its iconic design nearly as much justice. It's a shame, would've been cool if that thing became playable one day. Just like the broken Draeneii.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post

I found this. Much, much better than I could do and fixes all the problems perfectly.
    It's an improvement. Bigger hunchbank and the snarl and such. But it's still a compromise. It's definitely that wacky body anatomy and that maniacal grin that defines the gnoll. Gnolls are malicious, hostile and dangerous, but they're not evil, they're not rabid and seething. They're naughty bandits that cause mischief across Azeroth.

It's sad that indeed none of that was even intended to be captured.
    Last edited by Iain; 2022-07-21 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendraeg View Post
    It kinda makes sense. It looks like, to me at least, that they're redoing the models to make them rig-able with the same armor and gear as player models. I'm in agreement about the faces for the gnolls (I mean, really, they're hyenas, not chihuahuas), but the updated models are a good thing for greater flexibility, which their engine sorely needed.
    I think they are redone to be of higher fidelity...
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by wushootaki View Post
    This is what a lot of people don't understand.

The art style of original WoW is so good --- even if the art is bad by modern day standards, the style is still phenomenal and captures this amazing aesthetic that invokes emotions: be it awe, ear, disgust, hatred, etc.

Maybe part of that IS because they had less polygons to work with --- but you can clearly see the older art style is significantly more savage.

No, I don't think it has much to do with the lower polygon count/limited tech that they had in the old days.
    Art style is art style regardless.

You can see this with some of the remastered games which are praised for being true to the art style of the older game. People will say things like, "This is exactly how 6 year old me imagined this game looked!!!"

I think it's just the WoW team changing their art direction slowly over the years. Not sure why everything looks all plastic-like in the modern day of gaming though. Like the update hyena's snout looks like it's just plastic.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    It's disappointing because for new players, Hogger was usually the first mini-boss enemy they'd encounter. I still remember the initial, hey he isn't like the other mobs reaction. So toning that down to looking like most of the other mobs loses some of that. There was a time in wow when mini-bosses while leveling were actually a challenge, especially with some of the weaker classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aw... New Hogger is so cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendraeg View Post
    I don't think anyone's arguing that the new models aren't of a higher quality model or that the old models weren't in serious need of an upgrade. even to allow riggable armour too.

The issue is they've lost all of the personality from the model "Gnolls", and all of the qualities that have defined them since Vanilla. Gnoll are iconic to WOW, and their silhouette, hunch and posture and face, as well as their clear savagery are central to their design. NONE of that is here in the redesign It really does make them just look like an offshoot of Worgen.

It's really hard to believe that these are meant to be the same race, let alone same model -

I don't know who modelled or greenlit this - but they clearly weren't a Gnoll & Vanilla fan.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2022-07-21 at 04:24 PM.

New wow designers have no idea what they're doing, it's been clear since the "new" player models and the same face issues, animation issues and overall lack of continuinity between the old style to the new models.

And while apologists claimed "you don't understand you can't directly make old models to new models cause muh polygons muh skeletunz qqqq", you had freelance artists showing that you could to magnificent effect.

It's the Disneyfication of everything. They're making wow for the kids of the players now, and the kids will grow up to be a bunch of wimps. I grew up with WC2, hence why to me all this new artstyle is a travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleWhiskey View Post
    And while apologists claimed "you don't understand you can't directly make old models to new models cause muh polygons muh skeletunz qqqq", you had freelance artists showing that you could to magnificent effect.
    And there's two other WoW games that feature high poly and well-articulated Hoggers that are faithful to his original design. HotS and Arclight Rumble.

Given they're based on Hyena's it makes sense. Female hyenas have generally evolved to be as masculine as possible due to how competitive their females are. Effectively, they're bred to blend in, so other females don't kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    And there's two other WoW games that feature high poly and well-articulated Hoggers that are faithful to his original design. HotS and Arclight Rumble.
    Exactly. I don't know who spearheads AR but HOTS is Samwise Didier himself, one of the if not the last artists who's been there since the beginning and has created so many iconic characers and models.

That's why every time you'd see a new character introduced in HOTS it would look so faithful to its IP. I can't think of a single example that made me think "wtf they got this so wrong!!!".

These guys grew up with D&D, rock and roll, action movies and "violent" tv shows. They just made what they knew was cool and everyone loved it.
    Nowadays the lead artists are people with 15 arm tattoos, 12 nose piercings, update their facebook status to the flavor of the month "thing to be offended about" and care more about the amount of vacation days they get than what the hell they're doing.

And that leads us to today's so called "new" Hogger model.

But in an age where they want to make female space marines because apparently 40k doesn't have female representation, what do you expect?