Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why does it seem like every group with "Patriot" in its name is filled with actual human trash who appear to have no redeeming qualities?
    I'm pretty sure if you need to tell people you're a patriot it is because seeing your actions nobody would think you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you need to tell people you're a patriot it is because seeing your actions nobody would think you are.
    I think Mad Magazine covered those folks all the way back in the 60s

https://twitter.com/the_60s_at_60/st...24637767872513
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    It's more about using the fact that in some very left leaning circles, a women taking on the "traditional" role as housemaker is frowned upon
    frowned upon rather than having legislation telling you to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, totally comparable.... not that anyone should take an obvious strawman seriously anyway.

Why does it seem like every group with "Patriot" in its name is filled with actual human trash who appear to have no redeeming qualities?
    Maybe Patriot wasn't the word said all those years ago when it was seemingly invented, it was someone calling someone else a "Piece of Shit" under their breath and to cover what they said they invented a new word that sounded similar. And the word "Patriot" was born.

(I know it's bullshit, there's actual etymological reasons for it, but this is far more entertaining in this context)

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    frowned upon rather than having legislation telling you to be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, totally comparable.... not that anyone should take an obvious strawman seriously anyway.
    At least from personal (anecdotal) experience, i can tell you that there are (feminist) circles that don't like too kindly on women who want to choose that traditional life.

Acquaintance of mine went to college to become a teacher and within her group of (female) fellow students talked about future careers and such and one revealed that she'd be totally fine with becoming a housemaker and having kids.
    At least some didn't take too kindly to that and basically mocked her for that opinion, how she would throw her life away instead of having an actual career and such.

But i emphasis, that's anecdotal and reiterate that i said, it's a fringe opinion, but that's how republicans operate.
    They take an opinion they can scapegoat and frame it as mainstream opinion of the democrats, because with stuff like this, they win over conservative mothers who obviously feel very insulted by that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    no, cause then you kill the fetus, that amendment DOES sound like it would allow anything up to that in the aim of "protecting a life" so the woman chained up for the remaining 9 months? "it was to protect the baby!! IM A GOD DAMN HERO!!!"
    There already is a Christian (horror...maybe?) movie about that iirc. Like, about abducting women wanting an abortion and forcing them to give birth while channeling Jigsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    At least from personal (anecdotal) experience, i can tell you that there are (feminist) circles that don't like too kindly on women who want to choose that traditional life.

Acquaintance of mine went to college to become a teacher and within her group of (female) fellow students talked about future careers and such and one revealed that she'd be totally fine with becoming a housemaker and having kids.
    At least some didn't take too kindly to that and basically mocked her for that opinion, how she would throw her life away instead of having an actual career and such.

But i emphasis, that's anecdotal and reiterate that i said, it's a fringe opinion, but that's how republicans operate.
    They take an opinion they can scapegoat and frame it as mainstream opinion of the democrats, because with stuff like this, they win over conservative mothers who obviously feel very insulted by that opinion.
    all 5 of them, yes they exist. no, they have next to no influence on anyone outside of their circle.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    all 5 of them, yes they exist. no, they have next to no influence on anyone outside of their circle.
    I didn't claim they have, i do however point out that Republicans use them to campaign against.

10+ Year Old Account
    *snip*

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. -Samuel Johnson, 1774
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

As professionals flee antiabortion policies, red states face a brain drain

The title of the article is probably a hyperbole. However, we are starting to see scientists and doctors leaving states that ban abortions.

A few days ago, a university headhunter reached out to Elizabeth T. Jacobs, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Arizona, to gauge her interest in moving to a leading university in Texas.

Under normal circumstances and in professional terms, the opportunity would have seemed intriguing. "It was an attractive situation," Jacobs told me. "It was at an institution I have a lot of respect for, and I would not have dismissed it out of hand."

But the political environment in Texas is not normal, in Jacobs' view. She informed the recruiter that "under the current state leadership I didn't think my family would be safe in that state."

"As of tomorrow, I am on the open market," University of Utah neuroscientist Bryan William Jones tweeted June 24, the day the Supreme Court overturned Roe vs. Wade, the 1973 decision that established a constitutional right to abortion. Jones said he would be willing to bring his 12 lab members, of whom eight are women, with him. "I will not endanger my team," he wrote.

Quality of life is a major issue in recruitment discussions, says David Williamson Shaffer, an education professor at the University of Wisconsin who successfully hired a candidate last year who was also being wooed by Stanford and Harvard.

"We spent a lot of time discussing the quality of life here," Shaffer told me. "As somebody who does recruiting, I have to look someone in the eye and tell them I think this would be a good place to come."

Today, Shaffer says, "I'm not entirely sure I could do that with somebody who was of the age where they were thinking about having children."

"I would have to be honest with someone even if they were past that stage of life, about what the consequences would be in terms of healthcare coverage," Shaffer says. "It would absolutely come up in the discussion, and it would absolutely be a problem the next time I have to recruit someone."

"Many students are coming to our counselors with concerns about the college lists they've already built or want to reconsider," says David Santos, chief executive of Prepory, a Florida college application coaching service with its largest clienteles in Florida, California, Texas and New Jersey.

Santos says that in every case female students are the ones initiating discussions with counselors about reproductive health laws, but female and male students are raising questions about the treatment of LGBTQ residents in certain states.

Conversations between Prepory counselors and their youthful clients suggest that "students will be more influenced by geography than they were before," according to transcripts of comments from counselors. Santos expects this to be "a regular consideration for students for years to come."

Workers, professionals and students may well find themselves confronting a shrinking portion of the U.S. where healthcare rights and other social rights are honored. Arizona, where Jacobs works now, is poised to implement a stringent "personhood" law that "classifies fetuses, embryos, and fertilized eggs as 'people' starting at the point of conception," as it's described by the Center for Reproductive Rights.

The law has been temporarily blocked by a federal court, but if permitted to go into effect, it could subject women to criminal prosecution for miscarriages and stillbirths, according to critics.

The political environment in her home state has led Jacobs to start looking for opportunities elsewhere. "I've said the situation I'm in now is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire," she says. "I'm already in the frying pan, and I'm making plans to leave Arizona as soon as I can. I just know I don't want to move to a state with similar draconian laws."

Would be interesting to see the impact of this several years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Would be interesting to see the impact of this several years down the road.
    You can use post-WW2 Germany as a model. They did much the same by getting rid of so many Jews.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it appropriate that at a time when the Democrats can't seem to define what a woman is, lefty women lost a "right" (that they didn't really have in the first place). That's what happens when you erode the basics. Leftists will eat each other if you give them enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    lefty women lost a "right".
    "Righty" women didn't?
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I find it appropriate that at a time when the Democrats can't seem to define what a woman is, lefty women lost a "right" (that they didn't really have in the first place). That's what happens when you erode the basics. Leftists will eat each other if you give them enough time.
    Eyo, transphobes are lame. But I can't say I'm surprised to see conservatives projecting again. This is your stacked court, your states outlawing abortion, and your party talking about a national ban after shrieking about how this is a STATES RIGHTS issue.

Get outta here, hypocrite.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/house...b03dbb9913f86d

The House passed the Right to Contraception Act on Thursday ― a bill that codifies the right to birth control and other contraceptives amid fears that the Supreme Court may come for that aspect of reproductive health care next after the high court repealed Roe v. Wade’s protection of abortion rights last month.

The bill passed despite 195 Republicans who voted against the bill in a final vote of 228 to 195. Republicans who voted against the legislation included Reps. Matt Gaetz (Fla.), Paul Gosar (Ariz.), Jack Bergman (Mich.) and Joe Wilson (S.C.). Just eight Republicans voted in favor of the bill.
    Reminder: Republicans want to control women's bodies. They will not protect access to birth control, which is decidedly not an abortion.

Republicans. Don't. Care. About. Women. Period.

Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    "Righty" women didn't?
    They don't consider it a right.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    They don't consider it a right.
    That's not how rights work. You have them or you don't, no matter if you consider them rights. Either all women have the rights or none do.
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

10+ Year Old Account
    A right allows you to exercise an option if you so choose. It doesn't make it a requirement that you must follow.

Without such a right, you are strictly denied any options, and must follow the one and only path.

I think there are too many who don't understand the difference.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    That's not how rights work. You have them or you don't, no matter if you consider them rights. Either all women have the rights or none do.
    Okay. Women on the left consider it a right, which doesn't matter as you say. Women on the right know it isn't a right, never was a right, should never be a right, etc. So women on the right did not lose anything, and neither did women on the left. Women on the left just think they did.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Okay. Women on the left consider it a right, which doesn't matter as you say. Women on the right know it isn't a right, never was a right, should never be a right, etc. So women on the right did not lose anything, and neither did women on the left. Women on the left just think they did.
    Do you have a source on that? Statistics?

Why are you siding with the folks that want to force 10 year olds to give birth to their rapists child?