Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Learn the Art of Inscription in Wrath of the Lich King Classic

Learn the Art of Inscription in Wrath of the Lich King Classic
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Scribes live and die by the pen, weaving words of power into parchment through sheer magic. Those who choose this path learn to craft the following:

• Scrolls: consumed on use to increase various attributes and other effects.
    • Tomes: powerful off-hand equipped items favored by spellcasters.
    • Darkmoon Cards: can be combined into complete decks offering wondrous abilities.
    • Glyphs: powerful inscriptions for your Spellbook that enhance class skills and spells.
    • Master Inscriptions: The most powerful enhancements for shoulder-slot items available.

Getting Started

Once the Wrath of the Lich King Classic pre-expansion patch launches, you’ll be able to get started on your journey to become a scribe. You can find Inscription trainers in any capital city (ask a guard for directions) and in Honor Hold or Thrallmar in Outland.

Inscription Materials

Most Inscription recipes require two types of materials: inks and parchments. Inks are crafted by combining specific pigments, and pigments are obtained from various plants and herbs by making use of the Inscription-learned Milling ability. In a nutshell:

• Gather herbs
    • Mill herbs to get pigments
    • Turn pigments into inks
    • Use inks and parchments to craft Inscription recipes

Pigments are primarily obtained through plants and herbs. It is highly recommended that you pair Inscription with the Herbalism profession—or be ready to spend some time in the Auction House shopping for materials.

Learning New Glyphs

While you can learn some Glyphs from profession trainers, you’ll also need to research new Glyphs (by using Inscription-learned research skills) to expand your collection. Be sure to hit the books whenever you can. Researching nearly always results in you learning a new Glyph; you’ll also receive a few scrolls and other goodies—doing your homework pays off!

How do Glyphs Work?

In Wrath of the Lich King Classic, Glyphs work quite differently than the modern version of World of Warcraft. When you open your Talents pane (default hotkey: N), you’ll notice a new tab labeled “Glyphs”. A character has access to up to six Glyph slots, unlocked as you level. Glyphs are divided between Minor and Major Glyphs. You may have up to three Major and three Minor Glyphs active at any time. To activate a Glyph, simply right-click it in your inventory and then click on a corresponding Glyph slot. Like gems, you can overwrite an existing Glyph by applying a different one to the same slot.

Inscription Perk: Master’s Inscriptions

Each profession in Wrath of the Lich King Classic confers the artisan a unique bonus. For scribes, that bonus comes in the form of Master’s Inscriptions. These powerful shoulder enchantments are better than the shoulder inscriptions available to non-scribes through NPCs. However, you won’t be able to craft them until you get to Northrend.

Making the Most of Inscription

Glyphs represent a significant addition to a character's power. Since they can be bought and sold at Auction House, there's going to be a strong demand for these words of power. Scribes who keep up with their research to ensure they have the largest variety of Glyphs will have the most to gain. If you are a non-scribe herbalist, it is a good idea to supply a friendly scribe with your raw materials in exchange for cheaper Glyphs. Whether you choose to become your realm's Glyph and Darkmoon Card baron, or to simply recruit the services of a scribe, there's plenty of fun ways to enjoy this returning profession.

Sub-scribe for More

We hope you enjoyed this refresher course on Inscription for Wrath of the Lich King Classic. We look forward to starting the journey to the frozen wastes of Northrend soon. Keep an eye on https://worldofwarcraft.com/news for all the latest news and updates. We’ll see you in Azeroth, champion!

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember folks, they haven't forgotten about you! Stay tuned!!!

XP Buff, Prepatch, and F R E S H are right around the corner!

They totally know what they are doing and only do it because they know how much they anger the Players. Just for their enjoyment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supermany2 View Post
    They totally know what they are doing and only do it because they know how much they anger the Players. Just for their enjoyment.
    Yep.

and its fucking GLORIOUS
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Okay, but bring back Archeology, new and improved and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Yep.

and its fucking GLORIOUS
    I doubt it's intentional. They already communicated the buff was coming, these are just informational Blue posts meant to help people familiarize themselves with WotLK's systems.

Hopefully all the herbs I've been hoarding will be sold at a good price now.

We don't need xp buffs, this is classic. Play retail if you want a fast, unbalanced and soulless leveling experience.

“Looking for an Inscriptionist!”= Nails on a chalkboard.

Ah yes, back when Inscription was actually good. ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Theangryone View Post
    “Looking for an Inscriptionist!”= Nails on a chalkboard.

Oh my! I forgot about this! Yes! SCRIBE you scrubs!

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticDreamer View Post
    Ah yes, back when Inscription was actually good. ;_;
    Indeed. Wrath is when professions actually started getting good and started to matter. They've been gutted and rendered useless since WoD.

im both looking forward to this and dreading the other 99% of players doing this t get greatness card money for 100k for gdkps

I find it ironic I'm so eager to learn what they are doing with Inscription in DF and they post a WoTLK Classic blog on Inscription.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

“In Wrath of the Lich King Classic, Glyphs work quite differently than the modern version of World of Warcraft.”

Polite way of saying ‘better’.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacemoon View Post
    “In Wrath of the Lich King Classic, Glyphs work quite differently than the modern version of World of Warcraft.”

Polite way of saying ‘better’.
    was just thinking that as i read the old description. scribes had alot going on for several expansions until they got gutted with the rest.

really just wish they would implement MoP profession systems across the board.
    was the pinnacle of profession relevance and was prolly when they were the most 'fun'.

Hey guys look at inscription, for those of you who didn't play back then, this is what it was like before we completely ruined it.

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    was just thinking that as i read the old description. scribes had alot going on for several expansions until they got gutted with the rest.

really just wish they would implement MoP profession systems across the board.
    was the pinnacle of profession relevance and was prolly when they were the most 'fun'.
    Don’t forget reforging too!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemoon View Post
    Don’t forget reforging too!
    i thnk reforging was patch 4.0 for cata
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

AAAAAAaaaaaa, I'm crying... I was reading it and going "ok, so they are trying to make inscription relevant again, lets see..." for good half the post, before I scrolled down and saw the second screenshot, and realized that it's form LK classic...

Quote Originally Posted by Sk3tz0 View Post
    Hey guys look at inscription, for those of you who didn't play back then, this is what it was like before we completely ruined it.
    wow classic is just beta testing retail

if classic reforging is a success in the current climate of gaming, parts of it will be implemented into retail