Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    To be honest, there really isn't any mail set that I like. I think all mail sets look boring and meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    What else do you want a "hunter" to look like?
    Warlocks sometimes have demon visages on their sets. Warriors sometimes have spikes. Paladins sometimes have holy symbols. Keyword here is sometimes.

But when it comes to tier sets, we hunters cannot help but wear corpses. If we are not wearing pieces of animals, we look like idiots (MoP Siege of Orgrimmar gear, for one).
    I get it, we hunt things, but we ideally also stalk preys, camouflage, or just go in with guns blazing. None of this is represented adequately. We either wear dead stuff or we look miserable, and I am frankly tired of it.

Imagine if priests only got holy sets. You want to wear stuff with tentacles to symbolize your shadow spec? Too bad, you only get white, pure garbs. You want a slight shade of grey to represent an Auchenai priest? No dice, here's your vestments of 100% light. Change "light" with "dead animal" - hunters have been like this for years upon years.

No wonder my transmo set choices have been shaman lookalike - garrison set - Nighthold set - dwarf heritage set - Dark Ranger.

In GW2 this is the most beautiful Hunter (Ranger) set I have. As in GW2 they are in the future... so we can color them however we want. Mine is 100% full black.
    I'm not comparing graphics... but that's what I'm talking about. Blizzard would never make a mask like that. She would make a hat and the teeth were in front of the toon's eyes.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Some of the older hunter sets look the best, sadly.

I'd love an HD version of this, for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post

that's nice, is that the old school Sholomance set?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Mail sets, to me, tend to have great pieces but the full set is usually disappointing. It's better to make your own mog piecemeal than try to wear a full tier.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    that's nice, is that the old school Sholomance set?
    The pieces originally came almost completely from Blackrock Depths, if I recall. Eventually some pieces got scattered. The shoulders and boots aren't from it, I think.

5+ Year Old Account
    "Mail armor" type must be removed from WoW, 1st it looks extra ugly, 2nd it redundant doesn't make a sense to have -> Light armor ->Medium armor->Heavy armor (we don't need Medicore armor extra step between Medium and Heavy)

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be

That's not a set though. It's a mix of items from Vanilla, TBC and WoD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    "Mail armor" type must be removed from WoW, 1st it looks extra ugly, 2nd it redundant doesn't make a sense to have -> Light armor ->Medium armor->Heavy armor (we don't need Medicore armor extra step between Medium and Heavy)
    Mail is typically what is considered medium armor though, with leather being light and plate being heavy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I landed on just leveling up a Highmountain Tauren -- even if Survival gets nerfed to hell, it feels like the "right" spec for the character -- but honestly, as someone who normally REALLY digs hunting down new transmogs, I feel like the Hunter class is... well, super boring?

Maybe I just don't "get" it? Like... do you guys have a lot of Hunter sets you like? If so, why? What's the "fantasy" for your Hunter, in your mind? What sort of character do you see them as, and how does their armor factor into that?

Because it sure SEEMS like a lot of there gear is just a hodge-podge of... stuff. It doesn't even feel like there's a consistent theme. It's like there's bits of leather, occasionally bits of chainmail, occasional plate-looking accents, SOMETIMES patches of fur but never really full pelts... it doesn't seem like there's any unifying "theme" to any of their armor.

I suppose I'll throw in a request as well, that I'd really dig having SOME kind of cool-looking armor set to pursue, particularly for a Highmountain Tauren. And no, not their Heritage armor; I honestly find it kind of drab-looking, as well. Just... I dunno, something a little more colorful, with a discernable "theme" of some kind? And maybe a mount to "match" with it somehow?
    Tauren (Highmountain and regular) are a simplistic people, using simplistic armor with little to no colour, aside from what ever colour the material had from the get go. The heritage amor is absolutely perfect, otherwise tone it down even further using the Orgrimmar set from WoD. It all looks great, and matches the race and class. Less is more.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    But when it comes to tier sets, we hunters cannot help but wear corpses. If we are not wearing pieces of animals, we look like idiots (MoP Siege of Orgrimmar gear, for one).
    The shoulders of that set look good on a gnome/goblin/mechagnome. Use things that fit the theme of your race, not every set is going to do that. Mix and match and be creative. People dress their blood elf like a troll and wonder why they look like shit

Examples I just whipped up in two seconds using a piece of that set (doesnt match quite as well as it could but I'm not in game rn) -

10+ Year Old Account
    The pieces originally came almost completely from Blackrock Depths, if I recall. Eventually some pieces got scattered. The shoulders and boots aren't from it, I think.
    ooooh the Savage Gladiator set, yeah forgot about that.

https://www.wowhead.com/transmog-set...l-mail-recolor
    Last edited by SinR; 2022-07-22 at 08:26 PM.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Fantazma View Post
    WoW mail armor is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in every MMO I've played.

It seems that the chosen Design was given into the hands of elementary school children with brain problems.

I really like masks that cover the face. But Blizzard understands that 90% of Hunter's xmogs have to be a hat and only sit on top of the head. And the other 10% that work as face masks is ugly as hell.

Almost two decades of WoW and until today Hunter only has one cool xmog which is that dark green TBC acquired with honor points.

Everything else I think is awful.

In my opinion the good designs are in leather and plate. And let's be serious: Wouldn't it be 1000x more logical for Hunter to use leather??
    i think the one you mentioned is ugly. i prefer the bone murloc tier. heroic color.

10+ Year Old Account
    The shoulders of that set look good on a gnome/goblin/mechagnome. Use things that fit the theme of your race, not every set is going to do that. Mix and match and be creative. People dress their blood elf like a troll and wonder why they look like shit

Examples I just whipped up in two seconds using a piece of that set (doesnt match quite as well as it could but I'm not in game rn) -
    Now these sets do match the fantasy of the class/race combination. I could see a gnome hunter dressed up like that. But my point is not that it is impossible to create a good-looking hunter, but rather that we usually get horrible templates to work with. It sometimes feels like we have to be creative in the game artists' stead, which I am not a fan of.

I have also come up with a few custom sets that look good (or I hope they do at least), but the occasions where I used more than two pieces of the same tier were rare. In the pictures that you posted here I can see the same issue; take photo n.1. Shoulders are from MoP SoO, boots and gloves are from garrison, helm is from engineering, chest and pants I don't recognize (maybe warfronts?). Again, it looks neat as I said, but I found that I always have to get creative to come up with something decent, and sometimes I just stare at the transmo screen before giving up.

Take in comparison some of the other classes' sets. Paladin crystalforged and its revamped version are a super favorite of mine, instantly badass without added strings. Some people still like the bananadin set from Classic. Warlock tier 19 is fiiiine. Also necrolord set, Marileth's one or whatsisface, screams necromancer. Warriors have super good looking sets, the Firelands one is good, the alliance warfront one is superb.

While hunters... heh, I think one of the most loved sets overall is the one from TBC, Demonstalker's. It doesn't look like a hunter's set and it happened a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Take in comparison some of the other classes' sets. Paladin crystalforged and its revamped version are a super favorite of mine, instantly badass without added strings.
    See that one only makes sense on a draenei paladin to me lol (or blood elf with the s2 pvp redish recolor)

10+ Year Old Account
    See that one only makes sense on a draenei paladin to me lol (or blood elf with the s2 pvp redish recolor)
    Draenei is the go-to, and imo also human looks decent too

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Mail is typically what is considered medium armor though, with leather being light and plate being heavy.

Then what would you call robe or lets to say Cloth armor, extra light?)))) all RPG games that i played in 20 years always classify Mage armor type as robe (Light).

Robe (light) -> Leather (medium) -> Plate (heavy); Mage/Thief/Knight (while mail type armor is usally goes as low grade Plate, or thing that Knight wear under his fullbody armor)

Hunter as archery class feels stupid to go around with additional weight, when whole idea of archery class based on mobility, bow that works with endless Quiver already a reach.

Shaman - as class that can't spend a day without mambling about spirits or elementals, sure would be wearing something more primal than chain-mail, hides of some bear, any concept arts of Shamans in wow shows them half naked with tribal tattoos.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    Then what would you call robe or lets to say Cloth armor, extra light?)))) all RPG games that i played in 20 years always classify Mage armor type as robe (Light).

Robe (light) -> Leather (medium) -> Plate (heavy); Mage/Thief/Knight (while mail type armor is usally goes as low grade Plate, or thing that Knight wear under his fullbody armor)

Hunter as archery class feels stupid to go around with additional weight, when whole idea of archery class based on mobility, bow that works with endless Quiver already a reach.

Shaman - as class that can't spend a day without mambling about spirits or elementals, sure would be wearing something more primal than chain-mail, hides of some bear, any concept arts of Shamans in wow shows them half naked with tribal tattoos.
    All RPG games? Never played anything D&D related then, that's for sure - which is were the whole armor category of modern fantasy and RPG games comes from. Oh, and to answer that question, cloth isn't regarded as armor because it's not really - it's your clothes. I doubt you'd consider your t-shirt armor.

As for your archer point, I'm sorry that I have to dissappoint you, but some of the most mobile units in warfare - mongolian horse archers - wore boiled leather armor, with both mail and lamels. The chinese deployed so-called Iron Troops; archers wearing full-plate armor, iron masks and heavy armor in general. So no, wrong again.
    As for the shaman wearing medium armor, that's a parallel to clerics of D&D.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Sadly basically every set morphed into plate in recent times. verything is way to bukly with huge plates on gauntlests and whatnot...

Would love to get another druid set that actually looked like a druid set. And in DF everyone is a shaman.

For mail specifically: I really liked mail sets. Becuase they tend to be more understated and grounded.

I'll probably wear the Kyrian gold/silver armor for the next few years on my bloodelf.

looks pretty dope imho. But it's more of a Soldier/Marksman/High Elf thing than it is a Survivalist/Hunter thing.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2022-07-26 at 05:15 PM.

In preparation for Dragonflight, I've been coming up with transmogs for a hunter. You can find a lot of vanilla and TBC mail pieces that resemble plate, so you can pretend to be some sort of Suikoden-esque dragon knight who fights alongside a pet.

Some of the pieces listed were removed but if you scroll down and click on the "same model as" tab you can find an item you can acquire.

Dressing room lists: