Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Ok..the trailer is quite a surprise. I hope the movie fits it. It has everything a fantasy fan of Old D&D could want. If the script is just as good I hope it takes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar45 View Post
    Just want to point out that LoTR isn't recent. A whole generation has been born, grown up, and graduated high school since LoTR.
    It makes sense though. The fantasy movies that were produced before LotR were mostly garbage and the trilogy aged beautifully to the point where Amazon's spin-off struggles to meet its standard two decades later.

Surprisingly positive thougths so far... but why do every DnD stuff must be now this slightly cringy humour vibes?
    The Legend of Vox Machina got same shit even if also looks good.
    Personally i'd rather see gloomy and brutal medievalish style instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Says every closeted racist ever before saying something racist. The most hilarious thing is, you're racist against the dragon.
    I think it was just a joke...

Looks like it will be good stupid fun, like Guardians of the Galaxy as someone already said, or Thor Love and Thunder (which I enjoyed in that context).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Says every closeted racist ever before saying something racist. The most hilarious thing is, you're racist against the dragon.
    its OK man, he has a friend whos a Black Dragon, he's got his pass.

For now.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Looks great.

Does anyone know if owl bear is dnd lore or have they ripped it from the band books? (I'd be really happy with that nod to the band books they're awesome)

Quote Originally Posted by molliewoof View Post
    Looks great.

Does anyone know if owl bear is dnd lore or have they ripped it from the band books? (I'd be really happy with that nod to the band books they're awesome)
    As far as I can tell, it's been a DnD thing since its first edition.

The movie looks surprisingly good. It's probably not a masterpiece or anything, but if they can keep the energy from the trailer, it should be a more than decent blockbuster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Surprisingly positive thougths so far... but why do every DnD stuff must be now this slightly cringy humour vibes?
    The Legend of Vox Machina got same shit even if also looks good.
    Personally i'd rather see gloomy and brutal medievalish style instead.
    It's hard to translate, but any tabletop game will have countless hours of jokes and silly things happening because of a dice roll. Even evil or grimdark settings are often very tongue in cheek, because it's... well, a game. People are meant to have fun playing it, in and out of character.

So I don't find it that surprising that anyone trying to write a script based on this concept can only see it work though a mixture of action and comedy.

Besides, as others have stated, a more serious approach will always be compared to the most successful franchises (LotR, GoT...), and that's an uphill battle.
    Last edited by Soulwind; 2022-07-22 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    As far as I can tell, it's been a DnD thing since its first edition.

The movie looks surprisingly good. It's probably not a masterpiece or anything, but if they can keep the energy from the trailer, it should be a more than decent blockbuster.
    Bah, I was hoping for the nod.

Thank you

I think we are looking at Waterdeep. It's good they are trying to make it funny, I don't think you can pull off serious D&D movie, you just don't have the time while doing all the exposition necessary for a fantasy movie.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I like him. He plays a particular type that many people enjoy. I can get that it wouldn't be everyone's preference, though.
    I have seen Justice in other films and shows. He's not good. It's not the type he's playing in this film.

This already looks better than the upcoming LOTR series. Good job.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    This already looks better than the upcoming LOTR series. Good job.
    what doesn't look better than the new LOTR series?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Hugh Grant should be a villain in every IP at some point, he's the king of smarm.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Gloomy and brutal isn't really D&D's brand (except maybe Ravenloft). Game of Thrones sounds like it's for you.
    I played dozen of campaigns and one shots and i do not agree.
    Maybe it lies on DM side how it goes as i did not feel 95% time it is 'goofy world'.
    I've read A Song of Ice and Fire and watched GoT and it is absolute other extreme.

I pretty much don't know anything about DnD but that looks pretty good, the scenery and costums especially
    MMO Champs :

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    I played dozen of campaigns and one shots and i do not agree.
    This is personal flavor. The brand Wizards pushes is indeed a pulp adventure. Not gloomy and brutal as the other fella correctly stated.

That you can run a campaign as such does not mean that is the product type Hasbro and Wizards are selling expressly.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    The fantasy movies that were produced before LotR were mostly garbage
    I very much disagree with this. The 80s were a wonderful trove of fantasy movies that I still enjoy to this day. Dragonslayer, Labyrinth, Legend, Willow, The Princess Bride, The Neverending Story, The Dark Crystal, Clash of the Titans, Conan the Barbarian, Wizards, Krull, Excalibur ... that's just a handful of the best off of the top of my head. The original animated Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies are also absolutely fantastic in their own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I have seen Justice in other films and shows. He's not good. It's not the type he's playing in this film.
    I've only seen him in Pokemon and Jurassic Park and liked him well enough in both. Again, to each their own.

Must say I'm optimistic, Chris Pine looks great as a goofy Bard and Sophia Lillis as a young Druid seems like a great combo, especially her sarcastic dialogue at the end of the trailer.
    "So you make plans that fail?"
    I swear I've heard that line in at least one of my past games.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I very much disagree with this. The 80s were a wonderful trove of fantasy movies that I still enjoy to this day. Dragonslayer, Labyrinth, Legend, Willow, The Princess Bride, The Neverending Story, The Dark Crystal, Clash of the Titans, Conan the Barbarian, Wizards, Krull, Excalibur ... that's just a handful of the best off of the top of my head. The original animated Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies are also absolutely fantastic in their own right.
    Ladyhawk.
    Remember Ladyhawk. It was funny, serious, and yes, even a touch of romance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This is personal flavor. The brand Wizards pushes is indeed a pulp adventure. Not gloomy and brutal as the other fella correctly stated.

That you can run a campaign as such does not mean that is the product type Hasbro and Wizards are selling expressly.
    Eh, each setting plays different. Eberron can easily be played noir (or completely pulp). Planescape can easily be played with no combat. Ravenloft is straight up horror. Dark Sun is Mad Max. And ofc it is up to the players and their GM to set the tone.