Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fantasy Role-Playing Is Hurting America--Not sure what to make of this...

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct...a-avatars.html

Should I give up on WoW and DnD? Why can't I be a hero to someone?!?! I am so confused!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post

Should I give up on WoW and DnD? Why can't I be a hero to someone?!?! I am so confused!!!!
    God, I lived through the Satanic Panic once already. If this shit kicks off again, I'm ponying up the cash to become a card-carrying member of the Satanic Temple.

TL;DR

"Fantasy Roleplaying is bad. Instead you should go to church where you can pretend to eat the flesh of your saviour."
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'll take being a fake dragon slayer over being raped by a priest any day.

Much better way to spend your formative years.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2022-07-23 at 02:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

10+ Year Old Account
    LARPers hate eRPG. Makes them feel like they are being replaced.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Totally unbiased source you got going there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree but not just DND or World of Warcraft.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Totally unbiased source you got going there.
    Well, that kind of website is exactly where you'd expect to find nonsense like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    LARPers hate eRPG. Makes them feel like they are being replaced.
    Well yeah. Erotic RPGs can replace pretty much everyone and everything.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    God, I lived through the Satanic Panic once already. If this shit kicks off again, I'm ponying up the cash to become a card-carrying member of the Satanic Temple.
    I mean to be fair it did turn out there was an elite group hunting children so they were not completely wrong. That said I doubt we will return to that they seem rather distracted by other world events.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I'll take being a fake dragon slayer over being raped by a priest any day.

Much better way to spend your formative years.
    Not a erpg enjoyed I see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    I mean to be fair it did turn out there was an elite group hunting children
    You mean the Catholic Church?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You mean the Catholic Church?
    Epstien though they are the popular wiping boys. When muslims do it they try to cover it up here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Conspiracy theories and religion. Two forbidden topics for the price of one!

Paganism, after all, demands the sort of significance that is heroic, in which one’s virtues of strength and power are celebrated in story and song.
    Holy fuckin shit this is suck a misunderstanding and overgeneralization of a huge host of religions under the pagan umbrella I don't know where to begin.

Lest to say I wasn't taking it terribly seriously up 'til that point, though was trying to give it a fair shake. But the writer fuckin lost me right here. Know your subject matter, noobs.

I feel like we're regressing back to the 80's moral panics over Dungeons and Dragon's and shit. What next, are they going to come for He-Man, Master of the Universe? Ain't nobody can touch He-Man, Master of the Universe.

Because this will always be funny to me.

I was at least hoping for an interesting moral panic about D&D. It was depressingly short after that line. There's some poor Dave from accounts payable out there, probably crying himself to sleep after reading this. But honestly is D&D popular enough for the moral panics again just because it's getting another movie? Did they not see how the last time went? Because that probably set D&D back at least a few years. They should be hoping for another epic disaster (though it looks fun).

10+ Year Old Account
    D&D probably got targeted in this ever since Stranger Things increased its popularity again. But as Endus said -- This shit has already happened once and best not be happening again.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    The last satanic panic didn’t end DND or metal music or magic cards or violent video games or whatever, and I highly doubt that this will do that when all of these things are far more mainstream than they ever were in the past.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    This has come up every so often since the 1980's, where evangelical or conservative groups will say that videogames or Dungeons and Dragons is satanic. It's complete nonsense that the majority of the public rightfully ignores. But, what it does impact are the children of parents influenced by this misinformation into thinking that they shouldn't allow them to play things like videogames or DnD. It's always sad when you run into then adults that say they had to grow up in a situation like that. I've known adults that as kids weren't allowed to play videogames, or in some cases even watch television. There is also a political angle to it, since it's used to deflect from gun control talk. Blaming videogames or any other topic is used to change the discourse from that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    This has come up every so often since the 1980's, where evangelical or conservative groups will say that videogames or Dungeons and Dragons is satanic. It's complete nonsense that the majority of the public rightfully ignores. But, what it does impact are the children of parents influenced by this misinformation into thinking that they shouldn't allow them to play things like videogames or DnD. It's always sad when you run into then adults that say they had to grow up in a situation like that. I've known adults that as kids weren't allowed to play videogames, or in some cases even watch television. There is also a political angle to it, since it's used to deflect from gun control talk. Blaming videogames or any other topic is used to change the discourse from that.
    Before the 80s it was disco and drugs in the 70s ruining the youth, the hippies in the 60s, communists before that. It's been going on longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    You shrug at it and let them stew in their own misery, simple as that.

The video games industry these days is bigger than the movie one, the general public at large does not care about any supposed moral panic they're trying to inflame yet again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only had to see "christianitytoday.com" to know where this was going.

Reminds me of that old nursery rhyme: "Jack T. nimble, Jack T. Chick... Jack T. be full of shit."