Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Official class and name list.

https://twitter.com/DnDMovie/status/...yeKYA07HxCNMdw

The sorcerer is called Simon, because every group has someone named like that.

Ordinarily I may have passed a comment on how it looks like Guardians of the Galaxy with swords, but pulp adventure is at the heart of the D&D experience so it feels quite fitting. The jokes landed more than they missed as well.

Even as a mere D&D amateur I still got a kick out of the bestiary; owlbear, mimic, black dragon spitting acid, gelatinous cube, and spoony bards. Good stuff.

And the girl playing the Druid is really cute too, that's a bonus.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Remarkably for a cultural object often relegated to nerd fodder[i], it will be the basis for a multi-million dollar Hollywood adaptation led by some massive stars: Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page and Hugh Grant. If you'd have told us this could happen five years ago, we wouldn't have rolled the dice, we'll tell ya that much. The neeks are taking over the world.
    The tone of this reminds me of the response to Star Wars way back in '77.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks a lot more entertaining than the DnD books WotC has been publishing the last few years

just need a movie written by ra salvatore now

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks really entertaining. Looking forward to it a lot.

7+ Year Old Account
    It seems like they are doing the Disney Marvel Recipe, of a funny movie with jokes, so, the chances of not being bad are high, unless they go full dumb and do a thor love and thunder.

The thing that bother me, and i think they should have addressed:

- The party is too bland and clichê, all of then are human or elf, and even the supposed tiefling look like a human with horns, (although the 5e corebook says tieflings with human skin colors are a possibility, the eyes aren't, and overall tieflings are well know for their red-color)they prob wanted to play safe without someone with different skin colors to put off the audience who is not a fan, but end up rly disappointing, at least some tan or dark skin would be much better.

Forgotten Realms is a setting so diverse, and not having some of the classic races(dwarf, gnome, halfling, halforc) in the party is a bummer, a dragonborn would be sick, but i guess the budget could not do it..

Personal nittpicking:

- Druids in 5e can't be owlbears, and in previous editions you had to be much powerful, something this party does seem like it is, its not a problem for the movie, but it bothers me.

- The "bard" does not seem to cast any spells, i hope they are just hiding the surprise, cause it will be crap if he does not, might as well just call him rogue.

- Black dragon spit should be more green-ish, cause the acid.

I did like very much that they brought someone who actually looks like it can lift a weapon to play the barbarian.

Not bad for a trailer, and its promising, but if anything, trailers are deceiving, i do hope it goes well for a sequel to see a diverse party.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2022-07-23 at 03:34 PM.

First rules in an rpg is that there really isn't any rules. They're guidelines. If it isn't fun following a particular guideline, then you toss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    - The party is too bland and clichê, all of then are human or elf, and even the supposed tiefling look like a human with horns, (although the 5e corebook says tieflings with human skin colors are a possibility, the eyes aren't, and overall tieflings are well know for their red-color)they prob wanted to play safe without someone with different skin colors to put off the audience who is not a fan, but end up rly disappointing, at least some tan or dark skin would be much better.
    Which character was supposed to be a tiefling? The only character I remember seeing with horns was the druid, and I just assumed that was a druid thing like Keyleth in Vox Machina. I'm guessing I just missed the character you're talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Of course it will vary from DM to DM. But DnD overall is never really marketed as grimdark (again, except for Ravenloft). Kinda hard for them to push it in that direction when the franchise has giant hamsters, psychic jellyfish, monsters which scream "Hoot!," spells that make enemies sparkle and over-the-top villains like Vecna who are as campy as it gets.
    Is this a recent change? Because when I was playing D&D in the 80s the idea of Vecna had nothing to do with "camp". Slicing off hands and plucking eyes to gain evil power was pretty damn dark.

eta: This idea that D&D is just silly fun, or "camp", seems to have sprung forth mostly from Critical Role. The entire history of playing D&D that I'm familiar with has always treated the material with seriousness. Even humorous parodies of D&D like Knights of the Dinner Table still treated the game and the setting with seriousness, while allowing for fun table-talk.
    Last edited by VMSmith; 2022-07-23 at 04:06 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Which character was supposed to be a tiefling? The only character I remember seeing with horns was the druid, and I just assumed that was a druid thing like Keyleth in Vox Machina. I'm guessing I just missed the character you're talking about.
    That one, it seems like she is supposed to be a tiefling, cause she have horns and a tail.

Is was rly bad depiction of the race, since you can't rly tell at first sight.

eta: This idea that D&D is just silly fun, or "camp", seems to have sprung forth mostly from Critical Role. The entire history of playing D&D that I'm familiar with has always treated the material with seriousness. Even humorous parodies of D&D like Knights of the Dinner Table still treated the game and the setting with seriousness, while allowing for fun table-talk.
    Yeah, what you said is the "mercer effect", but most campaigns are serious with fun and jokes meanwhile, because we are humans having fun, but overall the main arc is always something serious. We don't do a campaign to create the perfect garlic bread, we do to stop an evil tyrant, something in those lines

If you take the published adventures as any guide you know its true
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2022-07-23 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    I thought she was a satyr-type, but she's a tiefling. Not sure if they'll address much of the background of tieflings.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/w...ing_Bloodlines

The physical appearance of a tiefling often depended on the exact ancestry that spawned it, a bloodline that might have remained dormant for generations. Diabolic or demonic tieflings could, besides the common horns and tails, possess a forked tongue, leathery or scaly skin, the smell of brimstone, or unusually warm flesh. Some accounts even held these tieflings to cast neither shadows nor reflections. Some diabolic tieflings also sported goat-like legs or hooves. Tieflings descended from rakshasa might have furred skin or feline eyes. Most tieflings had only one or two of these features.
    TL;DR: No two tieflings are exactly alike.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Yes, as i said in THIS post.
    idk it's just so odd to me the idea of playing a tabletop game and having no humor especially on something like a crit fail.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems like they are doing the Disney Marvel Recipe, of a funny movie with jokes, so, the chances of not being bad are high, unless they go full dumb and do a thor love and thunder.

The thing that bother me, and i think they should have addressed:

Forgotten Realms is a setting so diverse, and not having some of the classic races(dwarf, gnome, halfling, halforc) in the party is a bummer, a dragonborn would be sick, but i guess the budget could not do it..

Personal nittpicking:

- Druids in 5e can't be owlbears, and in previous editions you had to be much powerful, something this party does seem like it is, its not a problem for the movie, but it bothers me.

- The "bard" does not seem to cast any spells, i hope they are just hiding the surprise, cause it will be crap if he does not, might as well just call him rogue.

- Black dragon spit should be more green-ish, cause the acid.

I did like very much that they brought someone who actually looks like it can lift a weapon to play the barbarian.

Not bad for a trailer, and its promising, but if anything, trailers are deceiving, i do hope it goes well for a sequel to see a diverse party.
    How to put this oh yeah 5e can ead everything prior to 5e yeah tieflings were just humans with some demonic characteristics and most people still prefer 3.5 to 5e or have straight up moved to pathfinder. Also this party is definitely powerful.

Tieflings can look like any race afaik. At least in my mind. I've also been playing since AD&D, so if 5e changed that, it passed me by.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post

How to put this oh yeah 5e can ead everything prior to 5e yeah tieflings were just humans with some demonic characteristics and most people still prefer 3.5 to 5e or have straight up moved to pathfinder. Also this party is definitely powerful.
    Im not sure if i understood what you were talking about, but prior to 5e getting a druid to turn into an owlbear was extremely difficult., and this party isn't at that level

The point i make with the tiefling is exactly the one you talk, she have no demonic characteristics whatsoever, that horn looks more like a satyr or just a deer than an actual tiefling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Tieflings can look like any race afaik. At least in my mind. I've also been playing since AD&D, so if 5e changed that, it passed me by.
    They can't, afaik, tiefling lore is humans with devilish ancestry, they should however, look like they have some devil-ish features, this one doesn't.

Even if the human skin is canon, the eyes are not, either way, i think it was a bad move to not depict a tiefling in the most popular way.

Im not sure if i understood what you were talking about, but prior to 5e getting a druid to turn into an owlbear was extremely difficult., and this party isn't at that level
    So the DM bent a rule or two, no big whoop. My DM let my centaur druid learn to shapeshift into a T-rex after seeing bones in a museum. Turning into an owlbear 'early' for a ddramatic fiht scene doesn't seem that much of a stretch.

Honestly, I'm getting the feeling you're probably not going to like the movie at all, especially if you sit there with a rulebook, noticing every single difference from your particular flavour of DND.

- - - Updated - - -

So the DM bent a rule or two, no big whoop. My DM let my centaur druid learn to shapeshift into a T-rex after seeing bones in a museum. Turning into an owlbear 'early' for a dramatic fight scene doesn't seem that much of a stretch.

Honestly, I'm getting the feeling you're probably not going to like the movie at all, especially if you sit there with a rulebook, noticing every single difference from your particular flavour of DND.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I an still living in a 2e world so I was confused when people were complaining about the tiefling :P

Still have my 2e edition books. they are in a bit of a state though
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    So the DM bent a rule or two, no big whoop. My DM let my centaur druid learn to shapeshift into a T-rex after seeing bones in a museum. Turning into an owlbear 'early' for a ddramatic fiht scene doesn't seem that much of a stretch.

Like i said earlier, my only real problem is with the party being bland and the tiefling looking like the elf from the vox machina animation, im fine with the rest, its just my personal nittpicking, im sorry that i can't be a hivemind like you all and like everything, those tidibits displease me.

On that note, dislike something does not mean i will hate the movie, chill out

They can't, afaik, tiefling lore is humans with devilish ancestry, they should however, look like they have some devil-ish features, this one doesn't.

Even if the human skin is canon, the eyes are not, either way, i think it was a bad move to not depict a tiefling in the most popular way.
    Only Asmodeus-inspired tieflings have solid eye colors, by necessity:
    The best known of these are bear the blood of Asmodeus.[4] These tieflings resemble humans, but with very obvious infernal heritage. Their skin ranges from the normal human tones to a hellish red, and their eyes are featureless orbs of solid black, red, white, silver, or gold.
    Emphasis mine:
    There are also tieflings who bear the blood of hellish beings other than Asmodeus, and consequently have a varying physical appearance. Unique traits include smaller horns, fangs, a forked tongue, catlike eyes, cloven hooves in place of feet, scaly skin, red or dark blue skin, or a smell of brimstone. Some cast no shadow, or make no reflection. Some possess bat-like wings.[4] They may possess more or fewer than five fingers in each hand, goat-like legs, furry or leathery skin, a non-prehensile tail, glowing red eyes, or skin which is hot to the touch.
    Those descended from devils, if they are not of the blood of Asmodeus, may resemble the infernal tieflings not of Asmodeus (as mentioned above). Those descended from demons tend to have similar traits, but without hooves or goatlike legs, which are particular to those of devilish origin. Cat eyes and furry skin belie rakshasa heritage, while bruised-looking blue skin is particular to those descended from night hags, who often also have small horns or glowing red eyes. Fangs or pointed teeth are common among all types of tieflings.[6]

Some tieflings pass almost completely for human. This is most common among the tieflings of distant planes, whose faint fiendish ancestry is ancient and unknown to them. Most have at least one feature that betrays their heritage: red eyes, small horns, or a missing shadow are common.
    The first two quotes are from SCAG, so 5e, and the last one is from Races of Faerun, so 3.5e.