Poll: What you want Dragonriding to be?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    i want it to be a fun mechanic but well, no such option in the poll
    No matter how relevant the post, I will stop reading after 'should of'.

Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    Right back at you with this one. Being able to hover above the ground while afk has been in the game in one form or another for the majority of its lifespan, so why change that?
    Because it’s never been a design goal, it flies in the face of actual design goals and the game’s (and genre’s) key proposition, it’s mechanically absurd, it’s been explicitly targeted as a problem by the devs since at least WoD, and it was recognised as a bad idea on the dev team per the Warcraft diary before it was even added as a (consequence of a different) feature.

Play a Night Elf, problem solved.

Seriously, the game needs new content, this is on part of it. Yes, it sucks for some people they can't just fly up and afk, but there are other mechanics in the game that allow you to afk easily. Play a rogue, play a druid, play a Night Elf, use your hearth stone etc. Maybe they're not optimal for what you want to do, but if you have limited playtime, you have to adapt to the game to play it however you can, not expect the game to adapt to your lifestyle.

If every bit of content was designed so players could afk for a few minutes at any moment, the game would be awful. If you don't have time to commit to an online game, or the will to adapt to make your time fit using the available mechanics, don't play that game. There's tonnes of multiplayer games where you can take breaks easily whenever you want and if you still can't do that, play single player and pause it.

Personally I'm excited for Dragonriding. Flying from the start of an expansion always cheapens the experience when everyone just zips from A to B instantly. Makes the world feel so empty, but it also makes travelling tedious as hell. This is a good middle ground imo and I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Snufflupagus View Post
    Mate, I’m a casual.

I don’t play WoW much. And when I do, I recognise that because I don’t play WoW much I will have less access/quality of life stuff, less personal skill, and less character power than people who play it a lot. I don’t mind, because I don’t play much and that’s how the game works. I am a casual.

You have never made it clear how much you play. All you’ve ever made clear is that you suck at WoW, and you want all the access/quality of life, rewards for skill, and power anyway.

That’s not being a casual, that’s just being lazy, incompetent and entitled.

Git gud or don’t get the stuff you want. That’s how the game works. Pick somewhere on the spectrum between “good at the game” and “everything you want” and make your peace with it. Or play a different game.

Type /exit, click “exit now”. Click “play” when you come back.

Fit your life around the game or don’t play the game, don’t try and change a game that millions of people enjoy because you’re special.
    Exiting the game still keeps your character model there for some time and can be killed. And if u are in combat u will die.

I'm not trying to change the game. Flying has existed since tbc. Just asking that they DONT change the game.

If dragonflying is so much better, why not have both? Are you or blizz afraid that ppl will choose regular flying? What actual harm comes from this

If you need to AFK that badly then just hearth. If you are already in combat you can't mount and fly away anyways. Also there are usually enough spaces with few mobs/neutral mobs where you can easily AFK forever. That is such a non-issue

7+ Year Old Account
    Right back at you with this one. Being able to hover above the ground while afk has been in the game in one form or another for the majority of its lifespan, so why change that?
    Something being a thing for a long time does not entail that that something is actually good.
    Appeal to tradition is a fallacy for a reason.

It is completely detrimental to any and all outdoor environment design decisions as you can permanently hover over and avoid them.
    It contains absolutely no engaging gameplay elements, it begins at *hold spacebar* and ends at *press Num lock*
    And most important of all, it promotes not engaging with the game entirely for the reason above.

It's a badly designed feature, that desperately needed an overhaul.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    The way dragonriding is looking now I want it to replace flying all together every where so we no longer just have people floating about and instead have to actually put in gameplay to get around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defend View Post
    You can always afk, in various camps or on cliffs or whatever. Not being able to float in the air out of the way doesnt mean nowhere is safe. If anything it makes the world feel more like a world
    In a magical mythical "game", we can't suspend disbelief that maybe in this made up world large creatures can hover? I mean we have a giant turtle as an island, we ride bats and other strange things, have classes that are invisible at will, classes that can bend space and time to port where they want etc. I find the argument that a floating bird breaks the 4th wall a pretty thin one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    The way dragonriding is looking now I want it to replace flying all together every where so we no longer just have people floating about and instead have to actually put in gameplay to get around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defend View Post
    You can always afk, in various camps or on cliffs or whatever. Not being able to float in the air out of the way doesnt mean nowhere is safe. If anything it makes the world feel more like a world
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    Play a Night Elf, problem solved.

Seriously, the game needs new content, this is on part of it. Yes, it sucks for some people they can't just fly up and afk, but there are other mechanics in the game that allow you to afk easily. Play a rogue, play a druid, play a Night Elf, use your hearth stone etc. Maybe they're not optimal for what you want to do, but if you have limited playtime, you have to adapt to the game to play it however you can, not expect the game to adapt to your lifestyle.

If every bit of content was designed so players could afk for a few minutes at any moment, the game would be awful. If you don't have time to commit to an online game, or the will to adapt to make your time fit using the available mechanics, don't play that game. There's tonnes of multiplayer games where you can take breaks easily whenever you want and if you still can't do that, play single player and pause it.

Personally I'm excited for Dragonriding. Flying from the start of an expansion always cheapens the experience when everyone just zips from A to B instantly. Makes the world feel so empty, but it also makes travelling tedious as hell. This is a good middle ground imo and I'm curious to see how it turns out.
    Explain why flying at 900% will not make the world feel empty anymore than normal flying? In all honesty I don't mind the idea of dragon riding, its that Blizzard is releasing a product so thin on content that dragon riding is the main thing.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    In a magical mythical "game", we can't suspend disbelief that maybe in this made up world large creatures can hover? I mean we have a giant turtle as an island, we ride bats and other strange things, have classes that are invisible at will, classes that can bend space and time to port where they want etc. I find the argument that a floating bird breaks the 4th wall a pretty thin one.

- - - Updated - - -

Explain why flying at 900% will not make the world feel empty anymore than normal flying? In all honesty I don't mind the idea of dragon riding, its that Blizzard is releasing a product so thin on content that dragon riding is the main thing.
    suspending disbelief doesn’t matter no one’s talking about lore. Current flying just sucks for gameplay, being able to no clip with no effort trivializes mobs area design and negatively impacts world pvp.

Dragon riding looks like you will actually have to put some effort into getting around and without full water esc 3D movement the world can be designed around it beyond just adding mobs that dismount you if you fly to close.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

I originally assumed dragonflight was Blizzard testing a new way of flying in the game with the plan to completely replace regular flight in the next expansion, but that is pretty clearly now not the case. They committed to allowing regular flight later on in the expansion and now are saying they won't change dragonflight to be more like regular flight.

So given all that-- I'm fine with it. Rather than exclusively being on the ground, now we have more options. Hopefully it's fun for the first couple of months. It's got to be better than being completely grounded.

Of course if dragonflight is wildly popular it could still replace regular flying later on. But if it's wildly popular that means it's awesome and fun, so I wouldn't be upset about that. I see that as very unlikely, though, as it clearly and deliberately lacks the convenience of regular flight.

To be honest, I don't really give a toss. At the end it will depend on how it turns out in practice, I rarely fly straight lines over the map anymore anyway. I'd have to see how insidious Blizzard is with wasting my time for myself before I can reasonably demand anything. In general I'm in favor of making travel more fun/engaging, though there is a delicate balance before it becomes a chore. I have little hope that nublizz will nail it, but it's not zero either.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dragonflying will get old fast.

I'd rather have flying removed all together. But if I can't have that, at least only dragonriding is better
    MMO Champs :

I've seen this many times recently and I'm still not able to understand why/how people are saying this.

How is it thin on content? Or rather, what content is it missing for you? What content could be included to make you say it wasn't thin on content?

If ever there was someone who needs to go play Hello Kitty: Adventure Island instead, it's the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I've seen this many times recently and I'm still not able to understand why/how people are saying this.

How is it thin on content? Or rather, what content is it missing for you? What content could be included to make you say it wasn't thin on content?
    Fair enough and I could have worded that differently, but in my mind there are two main components to this expansion so far, dragon riding and Evoker. Sure we get a new island to explore but that comes with every expansion. While I am not a fan of giant shadowland style systems, at least they carry with you when you are outside of the zone for that expansion. So I guess what I am saying is that dragon riding feels more like a side game for that zone, collect some achievements and level it up. I don't know, boring I guess and once you leave the new place it is gone.

It seems rather linear and simple. Once you do it on your main, nothing really new to explore with it on your alts. Granted this can be said of lots of systems, but at least with leggos and artifacts, each character was different, gameplay was altered, you could use them everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Dragonriding feedback

I guess, we have new excuse for not making Dragonriding convenient. We had "Immersion". We had "Content structure". We had "Challenge". Now we have "Shouldn't be similar to flying". Don't you think, that it turns out, that whole Dragonriding - is just psychological trick to give flying while not actually giving flying and just gating "real" flying behind another 6-12 months of waiting?

What do you personally want from Dragonriding? Should it be "Challenging flying" or "Gradual return of flying at release"?

Players asked second thing, not first one. I personally want Dragonriding to be "Gradual return of flying" and therefore it should become similar to flying in terms of convenience withing reasonable time frame.
    Dragonriding is almost twice as fast, get over yourself OP. Try it before you deny it.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Dragonriding scales up to 900% movement speed. That alone makes it worth the minor inconvenience of having to actively control your character between locations. Nevermind that a lot of playtesters have said it makes the travel portion of gameplay fun.
    A lot also said torghast was fun. What is fun now, doesn’t mean it will be fun a month into the expansion. I see this as more of an inconvenience than engaging.

That, and it’s dragons. I only use mechanical mounts cause the dragons and other creature mounts are disgusting looking.
    Last edited by Soikona; 2022-07-27 at 02:42 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    So "tryhard" and "snoozefest" are the only options? What happened to "fun"? You afk botfarmers can get bent.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Fair enough and I could have worded that differently, but in my mind there are two main components to this expansion so far, dragon riding and Evoker. Sure we get a new island to explore but that comes with every expansion. While I am not a fan of giant shadowland style systems, at least they carry with you when you are outside of the zone for that expansion. So I guess what I am saying is that dragon riding feels more like a side game for that zone, collect some achievements and level it up. I don't know, boring I guess and once you leave the new place it is gone.

It seems rather linear and simple. Once you do it on your main, nothing really new to explore with it on your alts. Granted this can be said of lots of systems, but at least with leggos and artifacts, each character was different, gameplay was altered, you could use them everywhere.
    It seems weird to me that folks are seemingly just ignoring the entirety of the new stuff that comes standard with new expansions: New zones, new quests, new dungeons, new raids, etc...Like...that's ALL content. Just because it's standard for expansions doesn't mean it should be ignored. Which seems to be what's happening which is why I asked why/how are saying it's light on content. Is it because it's light on content outside what's standard for an expansion? I personally see this as a good thing (for now, we'll have to see how it actually turns out at launch). A return to simple world content, like back in Vanilla, BC and WotLK sounds amazing to me. Shadowlands was the least fun version of WoW I've ever played, and I can't quite put my finger on EXACTLY why, but Shadowlands just felt disjointed, disconnected, with multiple separate areas and things to do that felt KIND OF cohesive, but still separated. Dragonfligh seems to be returning to the WoW roots of simple open world content to keep people engaged.

I haven't yet gotten my hands on dragon flying, however I've seen many videos and read many opinions. The majority of the opinions from folks who've played it are super excited about it because of how it fundamentally changes how you perceive and interact with the world as your traveling. From that context, it doesn't seem like a one and done kind of situation. I agree that's it's weird that it only works in DF zones (for now) and may make it seem shallow, but that's exactly how flying worked when it was initially introduced, it only worked in Outlands.

Also, it doesn't seem like it's going to be a one and done kind of system where once you explore it on your main that it's going to be uninteresting. The way folks make it sound is that because of how it works and how the world is designed, it will be a core part of the overall game play loop of Dragonflight. That sounds pretty great to me.

I can understand that it's not going to be for everyone, though.

Which is similar to just being AFK in what you perceive to be a safe spot. Your character will be standing in the world for the 20 seconds it takes for the logoff to count down, so more often than not you will be greeted by the spirit healer.

For solo open world content? You can't be serious.

I like this