Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    Yup the best way to get things done isn't protest or vocalizing your issues with a politician it's back room corruption. Wooooo gooooo America!

Sad that it's actual all true.
    While there may be some validity (we don't know enough yet), this is literally how the legislating process has historically worked outside of these hyper-partisan times. It's legislators talking with and negotiating with each other to find compromises that benefit their respective constituencies.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yup the best way to get things done isn't protest or vocalizing your issues with a politician it's back room corruption. Wooooo gooooo America!

Actually, backroom deals ARE very helpful and useful. Not the corruption part, but the dealing and compromise that is part of any complicated negotiation. This is actually a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Actually, backroom deals ARE very helpful and useful. Not the corruption part, but the dealing and compromise that is part of any complicated negotiation. This is actually a good thing.
    That's perfect true but let's not pretend manchin had a change of heart or was offered something that would benefit his state, a rich coal baron dosnt do anything that's not for his own benefit.

And again I'm happy this bill will pass just not going to pretend its not obvious how it got done.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    That's perfect true but let's not pretend manchin had a change of heart or was offered something that would benefit his state, a rich coal baron dosnt do anything that's not for his own benefit.

And again I'm happy this bill will pass just not going to pretend its not obvious how it got done.
    Oh, definitely no disagreement there - and I'm not trying to paint Manchin in any decent light at all. I was just commenting on the overall methodology. When it was initially described that drafting and passing laws is like making sausage, you just don't want to know, they hit the nail on the head.

Same here. I actually like how it was done (methodology) just not that Manchin will [likely] benefit even more from it.

im glad everyone is happy that the poor and middle classes are going to pay for all of this so your daddy can get a rebate on buying you an electric car instead of driving his. climate change is the biggest scam of our time

Quote Originally Posted by Aphelios View Post
    im glad everyone is happy that the poor and middle classes are going to pay for all of this so your daddy can get a rebate on buying you an electric car instead of driving his. climate change is the biggest scam of our time
    Damn, you've seen the bill? Is this another tax hike on the middle class like the 2017 Republican tax cut? Got any links?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Damn, you've seen the bill? Is this another tax hike on the middle class like the 2017 Republican tax cut? Got any links?
    because the lower/middle class always pays for it? before you summon your cartel of trustfund kids circlejerks to attack and spam report me. the only reason it's passing now is the inflation will happen after the midterms.

because the lower/middle class always pays for it? before you summon your cartel of trustfund kids circlejerks to attack and spam report me. the only reason it's passing now is the inflation will happen after the midterms.
    wut?

Will it include tax increases on the middle class? Maybe, but it seems Democrats are pretty hot to target higher earners vs. Republicans who are hot to cut taxes for higher earners while increasing taxes on the middle class

What "cartel of trustfund kids"? I'm in a cartel? When did this happen? Do we have regular meetings? DO WE HAVE UNIFORMS?!

Inflation will happen? It's been happening, and it's continuing to happen. It will likely continue for a while longer as, much to the consternation of many very shouty guys on TV that love hitting buttons that make cartoon sounds while telling you how to invest your money, this inflation that's been going on since last year isn't in fact transitory.

Comedian Jon Stewart erupts after Republicans vote against military burn pits bill

"I'm used to the lies, I'm used to the hypocrisy, I'm used to the cowardice, I'm used to all of it, but I am not used to the cruelty," Stewart told reporters outside the Senate during a news conference called by the bill's advocates.

Republicans "haven't met a war they won't sign up for and they haven't met a veteran they won't screw over," Stewart said.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The highlight for me is that they already overwhelmingly approved it two weeks ago, and now voted it down solely to spite to the Dems. Except they didn't spite the Dems of course, they spited sick veterans. I hope this becomes the huge story it deserves to be, but I'm not overly optimistic.

Who are these trust-fund kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    The highlight for me is that they already overwhelmingly approved it two weeks ago, and now voted it down solely to spite to the Dems. Except they didn't spite the Dems of course, they spited sick veterans. I hope this becomes the huge story it deserves to be, but I'm not overly optimistic.
    He was pretty pissed.

"It's the exact same bill, they changed one sentence somehow!" Stewart fumed. "The sentence they changed was about using rural medical practices for the V.A., which apparently triggered a constitutional crisis and it had to be redone. That's all that changed!"

anyone who defends Machin for what he did does not deserve the dignity of a response. because it's pretty clear both have the exact same outlook on how politics works in this country, which, is fundamentally broken, but hey, the Dems get to do a victory lap so anything Machin has done or rather stood in the way of doesn't matter. so long as it upsets this nebulous group of people who I've decided is my white whale.

why contribute to any conversation when you can just troll.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    anyone who defends Machin for what he did does not deserve the dignity of a response. because it's pretty clear both have the exact same outlook on how politics works in this country, which, is fundamentally broken, but hey, the Dems get to do a victory lap so anything Machin has done or rather stood in the way of doesn't matter. so long as it upsets this nebulous group of people who I've decided is my white whale.

why contribute to any conversation when you can just troll.
    Considering these backroom deals are the entire purpose of the US Senate since its inception, I'd say fundamentally is right. I think there are better things to focus energy on at the moment, personally.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just a heads up; it's probably easier to make it look like you're trying to debate in good faith if you don't immediately wig out at the first person who tries to refute your points.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Let's also add, there are people willing to blame Biden for everything, even things Biden has zero control over. I see my Alabama relatives blaming Biden for pushing electric cars in a heatwave. No, really.
    I see a lot of "Biden's failed energy policy!" and "Biden punishing us at the pump!" bullshit where I am. It's incredibly insulting to the intelligence of... everyone, really. Biden has no fucking control over gas prices. At best he can do, what, a federal gas tax holiday and extend it indefinitely? That'd save us a whopping... 18 cents a gallon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I see a lot of "Biden's failed energy policy!" and "Biden punishing us at the pump!" bullshit where I am. It's incredibly insulting to the intelligence of... everyone, really. Biden has no fucking control over gas prices. At best he can do, what, a federal gas tax holiday and extend it indefinitely? That'd save us a whopping... 18 cents a gallon.
    They don't have anything else from their talking heads to attack right now. Even the Burn Pit Bill opponents are just spitting out the "what else is in the bill" or the "the US keeps sending billions to Ukraine because of Hunter Biden" -- when you have nothing else. Resort to making shit up -- it's worked for the GOP forever.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Cotton: I would urge every House Republican after this double cross not to support that $250 billion bill on semiconductors

Republicans are really letting "the cat out of the bag" here. They are crying that Manchin is not with them, not part of the team. McConnell, Kennedy and a couple others have stated the same. Then they go own they will deliberately sabotage other bills. I believe some say this is why the Burning Pit died for Vets.

Susan Collins tells
    NicholsonInDC
    that same-sex marriage bill may be doomed now bc of what Dems did on the inflation reduction bill

This is laughable and OMGoodness Collins is the bet con artist of all. While it doesn't stand a chance, Collins is hiding behind this as a way not to vote.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2022-07-28 at 09:58 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    To secure Manchin’s vote, Democratic leadership pledged to mandate new oil and gas leasing in the Gulf of Mexico and off the coast of Alaska, where industry groups are pushing for a major expansion in oil production. Manchin views drilling in those areas as important for the country’s domestic energy independence.

Manchin also said in a statement that Biden, Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) had “committed to advancing” a permitting reform bill that would make it easier for developers to override environmental objections when building pipelines, natural gas export facilities and other energy infrastructure.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...-climate-deal/
    Manchin's touches are pretty gross, but the healthcare reforms are amazing. The green energy push will hopefully minimize the impacts these will have. If I were Schumer, I wouldn't think twice about tabling the permitting reform after the midterms though.

I have to say, I'm a much bigger fan of punishments for failing to reduce emissions rather than paying more giant corporations big bucks as a carrot. The Clean Water Act wouldn't have been as effective as it was if it was written this way; but I also understand this is how reconciliation has to work.
    Last edited by Nurasu; 2022-07-28 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    Schumer refused to schedule a vote on amendments to the bill (funding through regular appropriations or mandatory spending), so a couple key Republicans withdrew support.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/28/polit...ion/index.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bn8G9iL5SQ

Schumer intends to bring it up again Monday.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."