Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Grand Theft Auto VI (2024)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...main-character

Grand Theft Auto VI Will Have Female Main Character for First Time In Series' History

A release date at least two years away, the series' first female protagonist, and the new map: Here's everything we know about the next installment of GTA.

After a public controversy four years ago, Rockstar, the maker of Grand Theft Auto, is reinventing itself as a kinder, gentler company. But employees aren’t sure it can still produce the chart-topping caliber of game the studio has become known for.

The development of Grand Theft Auto VI has been slower than impatient fans and even longtime employees have expected, despite morale across the company being higher than ever, according to many staffers. Between the company’s new direction and the 2019 departure of Dan Houser, who led creative direction on many previous games, all indications suggest Grand Theft Auto VI will feel very different than its predecessor.

Here’s what we know.

There will be a female protagonist

The game will feature a playable female protagonist for the first time, according to people familiar with the matter. The woman is Latina and will be one of a pair of leading characters in a story influenced by the bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde. Developers are also being cautious not to “punch down” by making jokes about marginalized groups, the people said, in contrast with previous Grand Theft Auto games.

The game’s release is likely two years away

Industry analysts anticipate that the next Grand Theft Auto will be out sometime in Take-Two’s 2024 fiscal year, which runs from April 2023 through March 2024, but developers are skeptical. The game has been in development in some form since 2014. Although there are loose schedules in place, people interviewed for this article said they didn’t know of any firm release date and that they expect the game to be at least two years away. Earlier this year, a group of designers quit Rockstar’s Edinburgh office, telling colleagues they were sick of the lack of progress.

Rockstar wanted to include large portions of North and South America but had to be reeled in

Original plans for the title, which is code-named Project Americas, were for it to be bigger than any Grand Theft Auto game to date. Early designs called for the inclusion of territories modeled after large swaths of North and South America, according to people familiar with the plans.

The new map is a fictionalized Miami but will update over time

The game’s new map is now focused on a fictional version of Miami and its surrounding areas. Rockstar’s plan is to continually update the game over time, adding new missions and cities on a regular basis, which leadership hopes will lead to less crunch during the game’s final months. Still, the game’s world remains large, with more interior locations than previous Grand Theft Auto games, affecting the timeline.

Honestly I can't wait. I love playing GTAO, and the latest update that made most of the stuff available in solo sessions made it even better.

There's plenty of immersion in that game, with how physics work, the little attention to detail stuff you can do, which they made even more prominent in RDR2. If GTA6 is going to be as immersive as RDR2 it's going to be great.

Oh and just imagine the visuals. Look at the difference between GTAV and RDR2, and imagine the difference between RDR2 and GTA6.

It's gonna be great.

Female main character?

Inb4 woke shit ... Sigh :|
    Thanos should have won..

#NotMyEnding
    #ThanosWasRight

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Female main character?

Because of that it already dropped from hype to lmao.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Called the two protagonists with a female one shortly after GTA5 came out with its 3 characters.

Let's see if I'm also right in that one of them will be a (probably undercover to excuse player agency) cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Female main character?

Ah yes, there are 2 genders male and woke.

The funny part is people with takes like this are the ones Rockstar usually makes fun of with their satire, and they are completely unaware of it while crying about something being "woke".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Called the two protagonists with a female one shortly after GTA5 came out with its 3 characters.

Let's see if I'm also right in that one of them will be a (probably undercover to excuse player agency) cop.
    It's a Bonnie and Clyde story according to the person that broke the story so no, not a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It's a Bonnie and Clyde story according to the person that broke the story so no, not a cop.
    Unless of course, that's the twist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh nice to see the first Rockstar iz puttin wokenezz in me game has arrived.

Nice to finally have a new GTA instead of another Port of GTA5 x3 I couldnt care less if its a female main character as long as they are written well, and the story is good

So is every game that has a female main character considered "woke" now? So Metroid, Tomb Raider, RE, and other games with female leads are "woke?"

Wtf is this nonsense?

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    So is every game that has a female main character considered "woke" now? So Metroid, Tomb Raider, RE, and other games with female leads are "woke?"

Wtf is this nonsense?
    No, it's not because of the female main character. It's about how GTA has always been a skeptical/cynical reflection of reality, and they've pretty much already admitted that they aren't going to have anything "offensive." So, it's going to be bland as every other bit of content that claims to be woke.

What era will it be set in? 70's afro chick?

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    No, it's not because of the female main character. It's about how GTA has always been a skeptical/cynical reflection of reality, and they've pretty much already admitted that they aren't going to have anything "offensive." So, it's going to be bland as every other bit of content that claims to be woke.
    You can make a cynical reflection off reality without being pointlessly and needlessly offensive, dude. How dare Rockstar commit to scaling back the fairly overt racism and sexism the series has historically relied on. GTA is a series about punching down, not punching up! How dare Rockstar make changes in an effort to sell more copies of their hit series!

Sure, we haven't seen anything about it yet and won't for years, but that shouldn't stop us from jumping to conclusions, I guess.

And based on social media commentary yes, it is very often about having a playable female character.

so long as it has a strong single player storyline that isn't just abandoned for multiplayer only content

Always had fun with gta so cant wait just hope it's a interesting setting/city.
    Do you hear the voices too?

While I guess I never truly doubted GTA 6 would come eventually I had sort of started to put it into the Half life 3 category. Good to see it's alive, sounds like they intend on capitalizing on the online even more with a vastly bigger world which makes sense considering how much money it's making in GTA5.

Not sure why people are getting hung up on one of two playable characters being female, that on it's own isn't 'woke' in a game like GTA, this isn't a realistic ww2 fps.

What does seem concerning though is that they appear to be sanitizing the game to be politically correct which feels like the opposite what GTA has been, ie intentionally offensive in every direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    You can make a cynical reflection off reality without being pointlessly and needlessly offensive, dude. How dare Rockstar commit to scaling back the fairly overt racism and sexism the series has historically relied on. GTA is a series about punching down, not punching up! How dare Rockstar make changes in an effort to sell more copies of their hit series!

Sure, we haven't seen anything about it yet and won't for years, but that shouldn't stop us from jumping to conclusions, I guess.

And based on social media commentary yes, it is very often about having a playable female character.
    It's called humor. You must be great at parties.

I’ll judge it when i see it. It’s been so long already tho..

Hoping they wint go woke obv, i mean its fookin gta.. rip on everything mercilessly!

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Always had fun with gta so cant wait just hope it's a interesting setting/city.
    Supposedly, it's taking place in Vice City/Miami. But before there were rumors of all magnitudes of how large and how many locations the game would have.

As long as the game is good and have an interesting story I couldn't care less about the gender of the main character. What really annoys me is that we'll have had two GTA games release before TES:VI. Damn you Bethesda!