Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I mean, I don't trust the current Rockstar as far as I could throw them, but I don't recall GTA4, easily the best written game in the franchise, ever "punching down". And it had a pretty "woke" DLC with Ballad of Gay Tony, which was also very cleverly written. If they invested a fraction of their Shark Card bullshit money into writing something on that level for GTA6, I don't see why it couldn't provide a great singleplayer story.

Now, the part about launching "something" first and expanding from there is more worrying. Because that sounds like they'll sell an overpriced 2 hour chapter 1 in some tiny neighbourhood and the promise of more chapters down the line. A sandbox game like this doesn't seem compatible with a Telltale episodic format, so they better get their shit together and release a full experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    I mean, I don't trust the current Rockstar as far as I could throw them, but I don't recall GTA4, easily the best written game in the franchise, ever "punching down". And it had a pretty "woke" DLC with Ballad of Gay Tony, which was also very cleverly written. If they invested a fraction of their Shark Card bullshit money into writing something on that level for GTA6, I don't see why it couldn't provide a great singleplayer story.

Now, the part about launching "something" first and expanding from there is more worrying. Because that sounds like they'll sell an overpriced 2 hour chapter 1 in some tiny neighbourhood and the promise of more chapters down the line. A sandbox game like this doesn't seem compatible with a Telltale episodic format, so they better get their shit together and release a full experience.
    Why tho? Because of their GTAO team? They were doing that stuff well into the development of RDR2 and yet that game came out and it was a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Female main character?

Inb4 woke shit ... Sigh :|
    Lol. Female = woke shit to normies I guess. No, this is just how the world is today. Regardless if it's male-only protagonist, the game will be woke. Last GTA came out 10 years ago, totally different times. If GTA 5 came out today, you can bet your a$$ it will be censored to oblivion, regardless if it has girl protagonist or not.

so, the only evidence of this next game being "PC" is the remaster of V taking out some unfunny tranny jokes, and the female protag in VI...?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I like humor! I don't like low effort humor playing to the lowest common denominator, it's generally not funny. The, "Oh no! Protagonist discovers that the chick giving them a lapdance IS A DUDE WITH A DICK HOLY SHIT HAHA IT'S SO FUNNY!" joke wasn't really funny to begin with, much less when the 50th time. I'm much more into social critique and commentary, mostly punching up. Punching down isn't funny, it's lazy.
    Punching up? Like girls with dicks only exist because of the bourgeoisie? So making fun of them would be punching up, because we don't like the bourgeoisie?

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Punching up? Like girls with dicks only exist because of the bourgeoisie? So making fun of them would be punching up, because we don't like the bourgeoisie?
    I mean, without going off topic and all, if that's what you want to believe that's fine. You do you, fam. If you struggle with anything beyond bottom of the barrel humor, then you're missing out on a lot of really good comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    so, the only evidence of this next game being "PC" is the remaster of V taking out some unfunny tranny jokes, and the female protag in VI...?
    It's fallout from a restructuring they did similar to what blizzard did. The purged all of their "offensive" staff and were left with out any developing talent. So, they had to go on a hiring spree. Which is why talk about rockstar is going on.

what the ever loving FUCK are you talking about...?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, without going off topic and all, if that's what you want to believe that's fine. You do you, fam. If you struggle with anything beyond bottom of the barrel humor, then you're missing out on a lot of really good comedy.
    Doubt it. But all of the good comedians get canceled because of people like you.

It's fallout from a restructuring they did similar to what blizzard did. The purged all of their "offensive" staff and were left with out any developing talent. So, they had to go on a hiring spree. Which is why talk about rockstar is going on.
    boy, it's not like Rockstar has had it's own problems with a toxic work environment OR ANYTHING.

what the ever loving FUCK are you talking about...?
    It's simple: trans issues are only a problem in first world, western countries. And they only exist because of bourgeois western institutions that paid for the creation of modern ID politics.

- - - Updated - - -

boy, it's not like Rockstar has had it's own problems with a toxic work environment OR ANYTHING.
    That's what I said.

It's simple: trans issues are only a problem in first world, western countries. And they only exist because of bourgeois western institutions that paid for the creation of modern ID politics.
    next thing you're going to say is this is all a push by the post-modernists (Jews) so, before the mods wake up, I'll move along.

It's simple: trans issues are only a problem in first world, western countries.
    This is patently untrue.

That being said, let's not go down this off-topic rabbit hole further, please.

That's what I said.
    so sexual harassment and work place abuse are all just false flags to you... good to know.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm neverous about this game. I don't think it will be the same GTA.

GTA is satirical, which means characters say and do things that a meant to be uncomfortable to poke fun at how absurd aspects of society/people are. I feel like since GTA V came out a lot of people forgot about how satire works. The best thing about GTA is that it was smart satire, not too over the top, not dry, it felt believable in the world's they created why relating back to the real world. It was inclusive on all (well most because it could have been better) fronts, from the jokes to representation. It was good.

Now that Rockstar is massive all about metrics. It's 2022 and every opinions is screamed at on social media. You can't say the sky is blue without someone complaining on the internet. I anxious that they are going to take a very vanilla and dry approach to the game. I can think of several GTA V characters who might be rewritten if the game came out today to avoid confrontation - Lamar and Trevor off the top of my head without having played through the story in a long time.

IDK I just feel like they are going to water down the SP experience a lot, especially realizing how much money they can make with MP where they don't have to worry about a narrative.

If you think "Rockstar is going woke" is the theme, you're missing the entire plot and probably fully understand the writing of the old games. Being extremely cautious is not "woke" and being "edgy" just to be "edgy" was the downfall of Saints Row.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2022-07-28 at 11:14 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm neverous about this game. I don't think it will be the same GTA.

GTA is satirical, which means characters say and do things that a meant to be uncomfortable to poke fun at how absurd aspects of society/people are. I feel like since GTA V came out a lot of people forgot about how satire works. The best thing about GTA is that it was smart satire, not too over the top, not dry, it felt believable in the world's they created why relating back to the real world. It was inclusive on all (well most because it could have been better) fronts, from the jokes to representation. It was good.

Now that Rockstar is massive all about metrics. It's 2022 and every opinions is screamed at on social media. You can't say the sky is blue without someone complaining on the internet. I anxious that they are going to take a very vanilla and dry approach to the game. I can think of several GTA V characters who might be rewritten if the game came out today to avoid confrontation - Lamar and Trevor off the top of my head without having played through the story in a long time.

IDK I just feel like they are going to water down the SP experience a lot, especially realizing how much money they can make with MP where they don't have to worry about a narrative.

If you think "Rockstar is going woke" is the theme, you're missing the entire plot and probably fully understand the writing of the old games. Being extremely cautious is not "woke" and being "edgy" just to be "edgy" was the downfall of Saints Row.
    GTA is at it's best making fun of american culture when it comes to all the bad and stupid things about it. Making fun of gay, trans, women or minorities has never been the things making GTA funny. Not sure why people are complaining about this at all tbh. GTA was always "woke", just had a handful of distasteful jokes on top of it. GTA has been making fun of american gun nuts heavily since GTA3, same with conspiracy theorists, same with overly religious nut jobs, same with racists in general. You might as well go even more woke now and throw in homophobic and transphobic people to make fun of.

GTA isn't removing satire, not sure where this load of bullshit is coming from. The fact its a fucking Bonnie and Clyde story from the start should tell you this already. It's just folks from that certain crowd slowly becoming aware they are going to be the ones Rockstar makes fun of if they go back to past games and alter it to current day.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-07-28 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    "Punching down" has many meanings nowadays, and focusing on racial and geopolitical aspects of certain groups is one of them. GTA: SA focused on portraying 90% of afroamericans as gangbangers, and the rest as corrupt policemen. GTA 4, while not making fun out of Eastern Europeans directly, certainly displayed them as clueless immigrants for most of the runtime. Even Gay Tony is kind of bold even naming itself in such a way.

I'm kind of worried about the one press release after 50 years of waiting for GTA VI making sure to underline the fact that this is new, wise GTA (not your grandpas GTA, no sir), and will ensure to not "punch down" at any groups. It's either a sign of putting brakes on one series that didn't need it, or a form of viral marketing that uses the noise created by such statements to make a product "louder". If the second option is correct, well, I'm guilty of falling into that trap myself just now.

Let's remove everything that was popular about GTA. That'll go down well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    GTA is at it's best making fun of american culture when it comes to all the bad and stupid things about it. Making fun of gay, trans, women or minorities has never been the things making GTA funny. Not sure why people are complaining about this at all tbh. GTA was always "woke", just had a handful of distasteful jokes on top of it. GTA has been making fun of american gun nuts heavily since GTA3, same with conspiracy theorists, same with overly religious nut jobs, same with racists in general. You might as well go even more woke now and throw in homophobic and transphobic people to make fun of.

GTA isn't removing satire, not sure where this load of bullshit is coming from. The fact its a fucking Bonnie and Clyde story from the start should tell you this already. It's just folks from that certain crowd slowly becoming aware they are going to be the ones Rockstar makes fun of if they go back to past games and alter it to current day.
    My argument is that they will extremely safe and tame, not that they are removing satire. SNL without 'fuck' censored.
    Im definitely not talking about them being more diverse and inclusive in both their characters and rhetoric.

Rockstar went in hard on the American industrial-military complex in 5. They poked holes in American liberalism. Dragged "chud" ideology.

We got authentic black characters and not just adaptions from adaptions of movies. Can't tell you how many people have tried to tell me Lamar is racist.

Rockstar is now a massive corporate entity when raw authenticity makes way to soft approaches to push more units. Going off your example, I don't even think they'll put in a homophobic character for us to ridicule and make sure off because overactive people on social media will whine that such a character would be included in the first place or they be made that character aligns too much with their own views while being the joke.

I'm saying I the writing will be safe and boring.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I'm saying I the writing will be safe and boring.
    Based off nothing. Rockstar is absolutely going to shit on alt right ideology in this game, it's not even a question. It's been a staple of the entire series. What they are doing is removing distasteful shit like confederate flags and bad jokes making fun of marginalized groups that snuck in the previous entries.

I don't think Rockstar would even humor the types you're worried about with some idiots calling Lamar racist. In fact that's the opposite of what they're doing because those are the types that are mad the conservative flag got removed from vice city where it really didn't deserve a place or platform to begin with. Perfect example with it also because you can have a racist chud redneck character like Cletus and hes still that same character without having a symbol used by hate groups on him. That's the distasteful part being altered, not the character himself who is meant to be seen as the piece of shit he is.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-07-29 at 02:24 AM.