Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Personally, they should call it "The Vampire Chronicles" rather than Interview so they can continue once they get done with the first book.
    That would have been cool

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    I agree with this in spirit,but they wanna make money,so ofc they would prefer to latch on to a known IP/name etc,but from what i hear,this series is more in line with the authors original work than the original movie was
    Yeah so as long as they keep latching onto established IP to inject their quotas then they are going to keep getting pushback. See also: The Rings of Power

7+ Year Old Account
    Good god! What the hell is going in that trailer?

...I'll check it out but I expect to not make through the first episode.

Looks like set design and costumes are awesome and main actor has great passion, beyond that I see basic TV tactics to keep people watching and that means predictability and carrot hanging from a stick romance.

Not surprising that the death of Anne Rice preceded this series because the hacks that wanted to fast food write this script were probably being told to stick to entertaining the mindless seals that clap for any drivel espousing the most popular politics.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh this looks awesome! I love the original movie but a tv series will be a much better medium to tell the story (aswell as her other books).

Also kinda sad how people are mad again that they cast brown people in it ....

#TEAMGIRAFFE

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree series are a better way to tell these stories but the movie was so good. The trailer is giving me CW vibes and that's not a good thing. Will give it a try though.

Hopefully its good, but like others have said the CW vibe kinda sucks for me. Please lets hope they dont inject even more drama then in that already drama filled book series lol. CW would find a way.

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    I only ever saw the movie and didn't know there was a series of books, apparently there were 12 books in all?

They could have picked one of those 12 books in the series to make a movie... but I guess a remake is the safe investment. Its always about the $$$ isn't it?
    Interview kicks off the series, it's like asking why Peter Jackson didn't start out with The Two Towers.

The original did a pretty good job of capturing the book. I'm not sure who would ever prefer this over just watching the original. Not really a film that needs updating and just screams "unoriginal money grab"

Quote Originally Posted by cullen View Post
    One of those movies that didn't need a remake or series, the old one still holds up fine and aged really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    The original did a pretty good job of capturing the book. I'm not sure who would ever prefer this over just watching the original. Not really a film that needs updating and just screams "unoriginal money grab"
    Do most people just not realize that the movie adapted a single book in a long series? It was 30 years ago, and while it's a pretty decent movie the idea that it was just a "alright, one and done, never trying to adapt this series again" is just ridiculous. The author got the rights to her works back and decided she could finally do the adaptation right (by adapting a TV show, not remaking a movie version).

You ask who would prefer this one? Me and any other fans of the series who would want this to kick off adaptations of the subsequent books. Like I said, the movie was fine, but on its own it doesn't do the series justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Do most people just not realize that the movie adapted a single book in a long series? It was 30 years ago, and while it's a pretty decent movie the idea that it was just a "alright, one and done, never trying to adapt this series again" is just ridiculous. The author got the rights to her works back and decided she could finally do the adaptation right (by adapting a TV show, not remaking a movie version).

You ask who would prefer this one? Me and any other fans of the series who would want this to kick off adaptations of the subsequent books. Like I said, the movie was fine, but on its own it doesn't do the series justice.
    I've read the entire Anne Rice vampire series, and the witches, and this trailer looks painfully bad compared to those books.

It looks like a bad CW level show attempting to capitalize on a series that most people who aren't over 35-40 years old don't even know about anymore.

And judging by any adaptation of previous works that has come out in the past few years, it will be horrible and stain the reputation of the thing its adapting. Just ask Wheel of Time or LOTR fans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Don't know if Cruise and Pitt can be outdone.

I loved the book, and I loved the OG movie adaptation, this looks very different from both. And I am okay with that. I never want to see the same thing. I mean I would prefer something more closer to the books, but whatever. minor nit-pick. :P

I'll certainly give it a watch.

Also maybe worth giving this a watch

Last edited by Orby; 2022-08-04 at 05:09 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I've read the entire Anne Rice vampire series, and the witches, and this trailer looks painfully bad compared to those books.

It looks like a bad CW level show attempting to capitalize on a series that most people who aren't over 35-40 years old don't even know about anymore.

And judging by any adaptation of previous works that has come out in the past few years, it will be horrible and stain the reputation of the thing its adapting. Just ask Wheel of Time or LOTR fans.
    I think we're living in a media/entertainment era where I'd be scared if news came out that my favorite book was getting a movie/TV show. There's so many things wrong with the entertainment industry when it comes to the products that get pushed and how products are constructed. There's a pervasive mindset that creating a TV series or movie around source material isn't out of respect or reverence to the source/IP itself, it's just a platform to espouse things that have no bearing on the source material or run completely counter to the source material. The source material/IP is just a vehicle to push content or ideas, and the source/IP being damaged in the process matters very little... in fact, the only reason the source/IPs are used is because the content or ideas being pushed would perform worse or fail even more if they didn't hide behind an already-established IP.

I do have to concur, this looks and feels like a CW show. Furthermore, I wouldn't doubt if the IP is just being used as a vehicle for garbage views and beliefs of the people behind the remake/adaptation, trying to exploit an existing fanbase to even get their foot in the door. If anything, I worry for the hardcore fans of Anne Rice and what will happen to their IP.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

"Looks like a CW show" is probably the most tossed around insult I see parroted nowadays... It feels almost meaningless now. Just a dig that equates to "I don't like the look of this show/movie". The production value from the trailer definitely looks well above anything the CW network has made, and looks on par with any other good period drama like Boardwalk Empire, Peaky Blinders, etc. The sets look large and detailed, the costumes look fine for the setting, no complaints about the cinematography, and it's not even an adaptation that relies heavily on a big CGI budget.

And then of course there's the other regurgitated complaint about respecting the source material. Something that conveniently forgets (or isn't aware) that Anne Rice pushed for and was part of the production of this series before her death last year. Her son began writing the screenplays back when the idea to adapt the books to a TV show format became more realistic, and is also a producer on this series. Everything so far looks pretty good for this show in terms of it being a good adaptation.

Hell, if the original movie were coming out today people would be flipping a shit about the casting of whoever the current big name pretty-boy actors would be playing brooding European vampires with their American accents (and a teenage Russian vampire being portrayed by a 35 year old Spaniard). And yet, thanks to iconic performances from Cruise and Dunst as well as really capturing the dark gothic feel of the book, we ended up with a great movie.

The only thing this tells me is that your familiarity with recent adaptations is horribly limited. There have been so many great adapted/based on/inspired by movies and shows in just the past several years. The Outsider, The Haunting of Hill House, The Invisible Man, The Green Knight, and Dune immediately came to mind as adaptations of works I'd actually read. Even ones that I felt were not so great adaptations like Without Remorse and The Gray Man were at least enjoyable action movies. The Power of the Dog, Nightmare Alley, The Last Duel, and David Copperfield were also good, and while it's not really my cup of tea my wife really enjoyed Bridgerton.

So yeah, bitch about the Wheel of Time if you want (it was indeed a pretty bland show), but using it as some sort of proof that adaptations suck nowadays is just lazy. And as a LotR fan, I'm looking forward to the upcoming series.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2022-08-04 at 07:59 PM.

"Looks like a CW show" is probably the most tossed around insult I see parroted nowadays... It feels almost meaningless now. Just a dig that equates to "I don't like the look of this show/movie".
    Means "it looks cheap and poorly done". The costumes look modern and clean. The cast looks bland. Maybe its a bad trailer.

And as a LotR fan, I'm looking forward to the upcoming series.
    I see. Enjoy that

Means "it looks cheap and poorly done". The costumes look modern and clean. The cast looks bland. Maybe its a bad trailer.
    This is why it's meaningless and no one takes the comparison seriously.

The costumes look like early 1900's attire. That's just objectively true whether you like it or not. The trailer also depicts mostly the earlier parts of the book which revolved around wealthy landowners and aristocracy so how are the clothes being clean even an issue? Is this even a serious attempt at criticism or just a bad joke on your part?

As for "the cast looks bland". That doesn't even have anything to do with production value, it's just whatever weird personal hangups you seem to have.

First episode came out on AMC Plus. Wasn't expecting it to be this good to be honest. It's quite engaging thus far.

"Looks like a CW show" is probably the most tossed around insult I see parroted nowadays... It feels almost meaningless now.
    It is rather telling, when "looks like a CW show" is being used as a way to describe a show.
    It is a sneaky way to call a show cheap, bland, as if it was done with as low effort as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortress of Arrogance View Post
    It is rather telling, when "looks like a CW show" is being used as a way to describe a show.
    It is a sneaky way to call a show cheap, bland, as if it was done with as low effort as possible.
    Yeah, the other poster already explained that and then made it clear they don't even know what they're talking about. What I was pointing out was that it's a low effort "insult" made by people who haven't the slightest idea how to assess the quality of a show.

Yeah, the other poster already explained that and then made it clear they don't even know what they're talking about. What I was pointing out was that it's a low effort "insult" made by people who haven't the slightest idea how to assess the quality of a show.
    "haven't the slightest idea how to assess the quality of a show"

Looks at ROP and how badly its flopping

Looks at this bland attempt at Anne Rice and how it is also not exciting anyone

My think thou doth protest too much. Stick to the books, back when Anne Rice cared about making good fiction.