Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I can see it now; two independent parties, the one opposing Yang is Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    If nothing else I support this group in their push for ranked-choice voting. First past the post needs to die as a voting practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinstorm View Post
    If nothing else I support this group in their push for ranked-choice voting. First past the post needs to die as a voting practice.
    Fully agree.

When people complain about not having options it's not the 2 parties keep shoving it down your throats, it's FPTP.

To quote a song:

“ The President is laughing cause we voted for Nader.”

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because what the US needs is yet another right wing party.

Seriously Left-Wing people in the US needed to get engaged on the local level and take over cities, counties, etc and work from below and come together decades ago. But instead Bill Clinton.
    - Lars

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    You do realize third parties are small because of the polarization, correct?

..Which is why this is always attempting to be addressed?

Also? There won't be any Republican party in 2050. I can guarantee that.
    Wrong. Third parties are small because of how our election system works. With first-past-the-post and winner-take-all, you either win or you don't. Unified parties take ALL the power and split parties become irrelevant nothings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post

Seriously Left-Wing people in the US needed to get engaged on the local level and take over cities, counties, etc and work from below and come together decades ago. But instead Bill Clinton.
    Also, this. A "centrist" party in the US is still going to be too far right wing for my tastes. When your two party options are "Conservatives who get called left wing" and "Literal nazis", the middle ground for that doesn't look much prettier than the literal nazis.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    We do.

If we had one, it'd split the vote. No, that's not the ideal way to handle it, but it seems more likely to actually happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please, up-and-coming "moderate" party, do enlighten us on where the middle ground is between treating women as humans and women as cattle. I'm all ears.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Well, they don't sound like the complete mental midgets that is a libertarian, but no room for 3 parties in the US just how it's built.

I think they know perfectly well that splitting the vote is putting a gun to the Democrat party's head. It's a bargaining move. If the democrats don't shift back to the moderate position, they'll pull the trigger.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't feel bad about the Democrat party dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Please, up-and-coming "moderate" party, do enlighten us on where the middle ground is between treating women as humans and women as cattle. I'm all ears.
    Well there's just a mathematical middle ground here. Abortions allowed at 0 weeks i.e. not allowed, abortions allowed at full term i.e. 36 weeks, the middle ground is 18 weeks. Honestly I wouldn't say it's far off from a reasonable pro-choice position as we're rubbing up against the point of viability outside the womb with medical assistance at 18 weeks.

Or the libertarian middle ground which is exactly what America will have I suppose; let the states decide.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    You do realize third parties are small because of the polarization, correct?

..Which is why this is always attempting to be addressed?

Also? There won't be any Republican party in 2050. I can guarantee that.
    Third parties are small in the US due to fptp voting system that basically forces voting blocks into two parties. EC and Senate doubles down on it. Only way a third party would be viable is if the entire voting system is overhauled.

Until then third parties are nothing but spoilers that if you vote for does nothing but help the party you're mist opposed to out of the big two win.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I posted a link to this in the Midterms thread, and I don't really have a favorable opinion on it. Digging into it it's just two right-wing 'moderate' think tanks aligning with Andrew Yang on a vague centrist party platform that looks like it's just gearing up to spoiler votes away from Democrats in swing states.

At least that's the vibe I get from it. Like, we're in dire need of different party options besides 'Milquetoast centrists' and 'Actual Fascists'; but Yang's track record and the folks supporting him don't give me hope that this is anything but a means to get more republicans - or less Democrats - into congress.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Considering the Republican party is dead I'm not surprised.
    Or the libertarian middle ground which is exactly what America will have I suppose; let the states decide.
    A choice of what kind of hell we want to live in.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    We do.

If we had one, it'd split the vote. No, that's not the ideal way to handle it, but it seems more likely to actually happen.
    My point was that the US already has two rightwing parties. The GOP and the Democrats.

I think they know perfectly well that splitting the vote is putting a gun to the Democrat party's head. It's a bargaining move. If the democrats don't shift back to the moderate position, they'll pull the trigger.

Well there's just a mathematical middle ground here. Abortions allowed at 0 weeks i.e. not allowed, abortions allowed at full term i.e. 36 weeks, the middle ground is 18 weeks. Honestly I wouldn't say it's far off from a reasonable pro-choice position as we're rubbing up against the point of viability outside the womb with medical assistance at 18 weeks.

If this gets anywhere it'll probably eat into both parties and it'll all be a shitshow. But hardcore GQP are less likely than Rightwing Dems to jump. Won't fill the actual leftwing gap that's just wide-open in US politics.
    The libertarian middle ground would also be "No laws about it, let the people in question decide (if they can afford to pay)", no states involved.
    - Lars

Another party in the US, sitting politically between the Democrats and Republicans?

Seriously, how many exclusively right wing parties does one country need?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Treating women as centaurs?

Furries are the true moderates.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Furries are the true moderates.
    I dunno, if Republicans had their way, they would be the first to go, especially after making shit up where they believed that they were putting litter boxes in schools based on a satire site post that they believed.

5+ Year Old Account
    I wonder what it would take to actually make a third party be able to get big enough to actually be a real threat to the existing two.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    I wonder what it would take to actually make a third party be able to get big enough to actually be a real threat to the existing two.
    Dispelling the notion that "voting for a third party is a wasted vote".
    Bit more complex than that of course, but in essence.
    Error 404 - Signature not found