Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How much does race matter in WRATH?

I was thinking about making an undead warrior for wrath. I am not attached to warrior but I might want an undead. I read that picking undead for warrior is the worst choice for a horde warrior. How much does this matter here?

Thanks

If you are raiding then Horde is fine but for pvp, humans get a nice bonus with there new racial. You know as well as most players that the individual person playing the character matters 100 times more than some racial bonus and you are paying for the game to enjoy it so if that is what you are going to enjoy then run with it.

The real question is, do you plan to play at such a high level that every single bit of dps or edge matter?
    Since you ask this question, my guess is no, and in that case, just play whatever you like. Racials do not matter THAT much and not make or break a class.
    Last edited by kranur; 2022-07-30 at 10:31 AM.

Don't let racials decide what you pick unless your planning to max out your performances in high end PVE/PVP

Not as big as in Vanilla due to weapon related racials not being as impactful, but some races outperform others.

For PvE, Undead are basically the worst race for any Class because they have no dps racials whatsoever, similiar thing goes for Tauren.
    Orc and Troll are afaik pretty equivalent, Troll is amazing due to Berserking basically being a flat 20% Haste for 10sec, Orc are solid if you use an Axe, else they will certainly fall behind Troll.
    These bonuses amount to something within the 2% range in terms of dps gain.

For PvP, Undead becomes more acceptable, Arms warriors lose access to Deathwish and then rely entirely on Berserker Rage to break fears, which means that at least half of the time, a Warrior has to sit a full fear, so WotF gets some use altough its getting nerfed as well in Wotlk.

If you plan to just raid in casual guild it does not matter.
    If you plan push logs or speedruns good profs and race are very important.

The harsh truth is; if you have to ask, it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    The real question is, do you plan to play at such a high level that every single bit of dps or edge matter?
    Since you ask this question, my guess is no, and in that case, just play whatever you like. Racials do not matter THAT much and not make or break a class.
    I was asking the question because I did not know when it mattered. Thank you for telling me I should not have asked though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Not as big as in Vanilla due to weapon related racials not being as impactful, but some races outperform others.

For PvE, Undead are basically the worst race for any Class because they have no dps racials whatsoever, similiar thing goes for Tauren.
    Orc and Troll are afaik pretty equivalent, Troll is amazing due to Berserking basically being a flat 20% Haste for 10sec, Orc are solid if you use an Axe, else they will certainly fall behind Troll.
    These bonuses amount to something within the 2% range in terms of dps gain.

For PvP, Undead becomes more acceptable, Arms warriors lose access to Deathwish and then rely entirely on Berserker Rage to break fears, which means that at least half of the time, a Warrior has to sit a full fear, so WotF gets some use altough its getting nerfed as well in Wotlk.
    Thanks for the information. I see I would have to maybe coordinate it with gear which I definitely will not be doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rusken View Post
    The harsh truth is; if you have to ask, it doesn't matter.
    I cannot think of any situation where that answer helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnally86 View Post
    Sorry, the point was that if you were planning to play at a level where squeezing 1% extra damage from racials matters then you would already know what the differences are. This info's been available for over a decade and is very easy to find.

Sorry, the point was that if you were planning to play at a level where squeezing 1% extra damage from racials matters then you would already know what the differences are.
    Crux is however that whether those 1% matter isn't something that necessarily depends on the content but on the person.

The vast majority of players could've cleared Classic content without World buffs, yet most people got them despite not being overly interested in speed runs.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was asking the question because I did not know when it mattered. Thank you for telling me I should not have asked though.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the information. I see I would have to maybe coordinate it with gear which I definitely will not be doing.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you've misunderstood some of the posts you quoted. No one was telling you you shouldn't have asked, for example.

Basically they're just saying that if you're not going to be hardcore raiding (for example) where a racial makes somewhat of a difference, then it honestly doesn't matter and you should play whatever you like or enjoy.

As far as I remember

Horde: Orcs and Trolls are easily 2 of the most powerful races Troll Hunters are especially strong on certain encounters cause of beast slaying and lucky for them the best hunter weapons are bows. But of course none of that matters if you plan on playing a druid or a paladin

Alliance: Humans with EMFT is easily one of the best racials for pvp and not at all bad for some PVE encounters, Dranaei give that neat little aura that makes it so your party has 1% less hit to gear for. Night Elves make decent tanks with the extra dodge and since the best hunter weapons are bows Dwarf racial starts to suck pretty fast. Gnomes exist and as before if you wanna be a druid or a shaman you're shit outta luck on racials

I was thinking about making an undead warrior for wrath. I am not attached to warrior but I might want an undead. I read that picking undead for warrior is the worst choice for a horde warrior. How much does this matter here?

Thanks
    Best and worst choices are relative terms. In PVE Orc/Troll are the best because they have damage increase cooldowns, in PVP it's Orc (stun resist) or Tauren (5% health + warstomp). Undead isn't as popular because the fear break is less useful to a Warrior (due to Berserker Rage breaking fears).

But how much does this actually matter? Not enough to stop you playing Undead Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    If you plan to just raid in casual guild it does not matter.
    If you plan push logs or speedruns good profs and race are very important.
    Profs matter, race for Warrior? Not so much. Just the other day I was watching a "Progress" SWP speedrun from the POV of a Tauren Fury Warrior. That's one of the best classic speedrunning guilds in the world. It really doesn't matter that much.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2022-07-31 at 12:38 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I think you've misunderstood some of the posts you quoted. No one was telling you you shouldn't have asked, for example.

Basically they're just saying that if you're not going to be hardcore raiding (for example) where a racial makes somewhat of a difference, then it honestly doesn't matter and you should play whatever you like or enjoy.
    No. People are saying OP shouldn't have asked the question at all. Why would anyone come here and ask a question like this is beyond me. Google has been around for over 20 years and a simple search would have found the answer in a second. It shows that either OP doesn't know what Google is or isn't serious at all.

Don't worry about racials OP. You're not the sort of player that needs to worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Sorry, the point was that if you were planning to play at a level where squeezing 1% extra damage from racials matters then you would already know what the differences are. This info's been available for over a decade and is very easy to find.
    And what if you want to work up to that level and don't want to get fucked by locking into a race?
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I started the post by saying I read it off a guide and they made it seem like a big deal. I do not remember how the game played over a decade ago. I thought the advice given was weird so I came here to find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post

I don't think anyone was telling me off, I just found those posts extremely unhelpful and it is 100 degrees here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    No. People are saying OP shouldn't have asked the question at all. Why would anyone come here and ask a question like this is beyond me. Google has been around for over 20 years and a simple search would have found the answer in a second. It shows that either OP doesn't know what Google is or isn't serious at all.

Don't worry about racials OP. You're not the sort of player that needs to worry about it.
    I used google first and did not get a great answer. I think they have really been slipping over the years. When the first full page of results is ads you don't find the best guides you find the most profitable guides. I thought it might be faster to ask the community and it was. People answered my question, I got to talk to other people, 10/10 will post here again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    And what if you want to work up to that level and don't want to get fucked by locking into a race?
    If someone else got into the 1% he would have to try harder. He has to work hard to crush the spirits of everyone who wants to jump in for wrath. How dare they take his spot! They weren't there for the classic Hyjal raid what right do they have starting at raid content that they like?

7+ Year Old Account
    Troll or Orc
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    As far as I remember

Horde: Orcs and Trolls are easily 2 of the most powerful races Troll Hunters are especially strong on certain encounters cause of beast slaying and lucky for them the best hunter weapons are bows. But of course none of that matters if you plan on playing a druid or a paladin

Alliance: Humans with EMFT is easily one of the best racials for pvp and not at all bad for some PVE encounters, Dranaei give that neat little aura that makes it so your party has 1% less hit to gear for. Night Elves make decent tanks with the extra dodge and since the best hunter weapons are bows Dwarf racial starts to suck pretty fast. Gnomes exist and as before if you wanna be a druid or a shaman you're shit outta luck on racials
    Envoy of Mortality is the BiS ranged weapon for Hunters in T7.

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    Envoy of Mortality is the BiS ranged weapon for Hunters in T7.
    but that's T7...which could be cleared by 20 cats on Packard Bells..

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still working out if I want to play priest correctly (Draenei) or the based way (Dwarf). I'll never play human lol.

But Undead Warrior is cool, so that makes it BiS.