Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    The point of naming body types as "1" and "2" is to disassociate from the traditional masculine and feminine labels to begin with.
    Sure, but 1 and 2 can be seen as "ranking" certain body types as objectively better or worse.
    Which creates even more problems masculine and feminine would solve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Looks like Blizzard 'care' since they changed it after 20years of no problems.
    Considering the change is designed to make the game more appealing for all walks of life, I'd say it was introduced less because of the problems and more because they just want the game to be as welcoming as possible to as many potential new customers as they can.

...meh..simply changing the labels is kinda meaningless.

It's bad naming because there is no descriptor...

Body 1 or 2 doesn't mean anything to anyone...
    "Hey, you want body 1 or 2?"
    "What is body 1 or 2?"
    "1 is male/masculine and 2 is female/feminine"

You still have to explain them using terms they want to avoid.
    Even if we manage to switch over time so now people are used to using Body 1 and 2... people will still refer to male/masculine and female/feminine bodies. The message is still being conveyed.

This is like censorship where they just use f***... you already convey the message you deem problematic. It's pointless.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    and here we go again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    The point of naming body types as "1" and "2" is to disassociate from the traditional masculine and feminine labels to begin with.
    But to some people, marking one type as '1' and another as '2' could be seen as ranking, the original goal was just to not say, male/female.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    It's bad naming because there is no descriptor...

Body 1 or 2 doesn't mean anything to anyone...
    "Hey, you want body 1 or 2?"
    "What is body 1 or 2?"
    "1 is male/masculine and 2 is female/feminine"

You still have to explain them using terms they want to avoid.
    Even if we manage to switch over time so now people are used to using Body 1 and 2... people will still refer to male/masculine and female/feminine bodies. The message is still being conveyed.

This is like censorship where they just use f***... you already convey the message you deem problematic. It's pointless.
    You're not supposed to ask what it means because what the body types mean becomes plainly evident the second you select one. It isn't intended as censorship, it's a meaningless detail that you're not supposed to even think about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    But to some people, marking one type as '1' and another as '2' could be seen as ranking, the original goal was just to not say, male/female.
    This isn't a valid concern for anybody not looking to make a big deal out of literally nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't give a fuck 1
    Don't give a fuck 2

Also, MMOC major existential WoW issue of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Considering the change is designed to make the game more appealing for all walks of life, I'd say it was introduced less because of the problems and more because they just want the game to be as welcoming as possible to as many potential new customers as they can.
    Somehow i can not imagine anyone saying 'oh! we can play WoW now as they changed body types in character creation!'.
    They did it for pure PR bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Also, major existential WoW issue of the month.
    Given the prevalence of the culture war debate in modern society and this subject matter's unfortunate adjacent nature to it I doubt that it'll be an issue for just a month.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2022-07-30 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oKURWAmon View Post
    A possible solution would be "Masculine" and "Feminine" because body 1 and 2 sound too monotonous and mechanical
    Standing and Seated ?
    Alpha and Beta ?
    Plug and Socket ?

The whole idea of avoiding the actual words defined in the dictionary in some lame attempt to be more 'inclusive' is just silly. So silly options are really appropriate answers for the question.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Somehow i can not imagine anyone saying 'oh! we can play WoW now as they changed body types in character creation!'.
    They did it for pure PR bullshit.
    Except Blizzard hasn't addressed it in any of their PR material and it's unlikely they ever will. They just made the change and moved the fuck on with their lives, just as players should.

The people that pushed for that change have a bone to pick with terms related to male and female, so that don't fly with that crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    stop being offended by literally everything.
    That argument is in this context very much a two way street.

You're not supposed to ask what it means because what the body types mean becomes plainly evident the second you select one. It isn't intended as censorship, it's a meaningless detail that you're not supposed to even think about.
    Damn... not supposed to ask.
    It's ok to look and see what it is, but not to ask what it is. This is bizarre.

And yeah, my point was, everyone will see and know exactly which is male/masculine and female/feminine... and people will still use those 2 terms to describe the 2 bodies... so the name change is pointless.

Damn... not supposed to ask.
    It's ok to look and see what it is, but not to ask what it is. This is bizarre.
    Do you have to ask what the men and women signs over bathrooms mean? It's the same concept.

Do you have to ask what the men and women signs over bathrooms mean? It's the same concept.
    In what way? Body 1 and Body 2 isn't a descriptor of anything. Bathroom signs are describing the two.

overpaid and underpaid

In what way? Body 1 and Body 2 isn't a descriptor of anything. Bathroom signs are describing the two.
    Most male and female bathroom signs do not contain any text, just a picture (usually a stick figure). It's the same idea with Body Type 1 & 2 in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Standing and Seated ?
    Alpha and Beta ?
    Plug and Socket ?

The whole idea of avoiding the actual words defined in the dictionary in some lame attempt to be more 'inclusive' is just silly. So silly options are really appropriate answers for the question.
    Dann würden die herkömmlichen Deskriptoren den Sachverhalt immernoch besser bezeichnen als 1 und 2.

Hence masculine and feminine would still fit better than 1 and 2 in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

Most male and female bathroom signs do not contain any text, just a picture (usually a stick figure). It's the same idea with Body Type 1 & 2 in WoW.
    The problem is as soon associate text or numbers with pictures, the icons lose their intended purpose: namely "to not use text" in the first place.

WoW I never had a commercial break in any of my threads before. I feel honored