Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

More concerning is Putin's Serbian puppets seemingly ready to restart the Balkan wars again, with some reports saying they have said they need to de-nazify the Balkans.
    Yeah, that's going nowhere.

Half their former victims are in NATO and Croatia is in NATO and the EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would have been way outside the normal range of HIMARS, and it isn't meant for moving targets either. Something else must have hit it.
    The location this reportedly happened at is in reach from where the frontline is, depending on how ballsy they got with where to fire from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Yeah, that's going nowhere.

Half their former victims are in NATO and Croatia is in NATO and the EU.
    Kosovo though...

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Kosovo though...
    That's not exactly Balkan Wars.

Serbs and Kosovars poking each other with sticks happens twice a year.

The Serbian government itself seems uninterested in escalating and there still peacekeepers around to deal with the militias.

The last time they got really rowdy a bunch of them ended up getting picked up in raids and extradited to the Hague for trial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kosovo though...
    NATO never actually fully left Kosovo despite Kosovo as a state not being a formal NATO member.

A Serbian invasion of Kosovo means dealing with NATO, and not even the nut-cases in charge of Serbia could possibly be delusional enough to believe that'll just be let slide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    NATO never actually fully left Kosovo despite Kosovo as a state not being a formal NATO member.

A Serbian invasion of Kosovo means dealing with NATO, and not even the nut-cases in charge of Serbia could possibly be delusional enough to believe that'll just be let slide.
    I'm somehow reminded of Gavril Princip...but yeah, I get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kosovo though...
    It'd be nice if the Balkans would just learn to play nice with their neighbors for once . . .
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account

If the west had just ignored Ukraine's pleas or pushed them to try for some sort of surrender, then perhaps Serbia might be getting ideas in their heads.

But the absolute clownshoes performance of Russia and the west's eager funneling of support into Ukraine should make absolutely clear that such a thing would be a very, very bad idea.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

hey regardless of the optimism, it looks like shit is about to fucking go DOWN in Serbia and Kosovo right now - at fucking Putin's behest no less, which puts it on relevance to this topic. Maybe he's trying to distract from Ukraine, but don't think for a moment this is bluster. Following the live news.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

10+ Year Old Account
    The location this reportedly happened at is in reach from where the frontline is, depending on how ballsy they got with where to fire from.
    Somewhere there's a group of drunken US Generals "Holy shit, they hit it from there. You were right about that upgrade. A deal's a deal I guess. You get my secretary for the weekend.""
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

The other option is B&H, which has a sizeable Serbian population (complete with its own security forces) and who have been causing problems (but what else is new for Serbia.) Kosovo does seem the more likely target, but it has a small NATO force (around 2600 strong) acting as peacekeepers.

The most likely option of what is going on is that it is a desperate move to try and distract NATO away from Ukraine at the request of Putin. Except that it isn't going to work. Serbia isn't going to start anything and Russia can't really support them.

Less likely option is that Serbia may start something and get curbstomped by NATO. Russia will rant and rave, saying they need to mobilise to protect Serbia, but then throw Serbia under the bus and use the mobilisation in an effort to save their floundering Ukrainian invasion and go nowhere near NATO.

KFOR have come out and said that they are prepared to intervene if the Serbs start anything.
    Last edited by Corvus; 2022-08-01 at 12:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The other option is B&H, which has a sizeable Serbian population (complete with its own security forces) and who have been causing problems (but what else is new for Serbia.) Kosovo does seem the more likely target, but it has a small NATO force (around 2600 strong) acting as peacekeepers.

The most likely option of what is going on is that it is a desperate move to try and distract NATO away from Ukraine at the request of Putin. Except that it isn't going to work. Serbia isn't going to start anything and Russia can't really support them.

Less likely option is that Serbia may start something and get curbstomped by NATO. Russia will rant and rave, saying they need to mobilise to protect Serbia, but then throw Serbia under the bus and use the mobilisation in an effort to save their floundering Ukrainian invasion and go nowhere near NATO.

KFOR have come out and said that they are prepared to intervene if the Serbs start anything.
    I dunno, wouldn't it be MUCH easier to start shit in Transnistria? There's russians there already.

I dunno, wouldn't it be MUCH easier to start shit in Transnistria? There's russians there already.
    Starting anything there wouldn't amount to much. Russia only has a small number of troops there, around 1600, who can't be resupplied at the moment and are fairly poorly equipped. There is a local militia, but it is even worse off equipment wise. They could attack Moldavia's small army but that would hardly be a distraction and wouldn't involve NATO. Attacking into Ukraine would be near suicidal as well.

The Kosovo issue was over number plates, if you can believe it. The Kosovan authorities wanted to replace Serbian issued plates with their own, but the Serbs started a protest over it and put up barricades at the border. The Kosovans have delayed the implementation for 30 days so issue diffused for the moment. This kind of issue is hardly new and regularly happens.

Starting anything there wouldn't amount to much. Russia only has a small number of troops there, around 1600, who can't be resupplied at the moment and are fairly poorly equipped. There is a local militia, but it is even worse off equipment wise. They could attack Moldavia's small army but that would hardly be a distraction and wouldn't involve NATO. Attacking into Ukraine would be near suicidal as well.

The Kosovo issue was over number plates, if you can believe it. The Kosovan authorities wanted to replace Serbian issued plates with their own, but the Serbs started a protest over it and put up barricades at the border. The Kosovans have delayed the implementation for 30 days so issue diffused for the moment. This kind of issue is hardly new and regularly happens.
    Na man, you just don't get it. As our resident foreign policy megaexpert so wisely says, there's only one step from Serbian licence plates to nukes for everybody.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    5 internet cookies it’s gets blown up by “random insurgents”

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    5 internet cookies it’s gets blown up by “random insurgents”
    *By Ukraine themselves (this is of course a joke)

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

I'm pretty confused by the posts here on this page:

So Russia threatens nukes and talks the murderous game, but when faced with any actual potential conflict with NATO, they try to "distract" them or turn tail? Sounds cowardly.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post

So Russia threatens nukes and talks the murderous game, but when faced with any actual potential conflict with NATO, they try to "distract" them or turn tail? Sounds cowardly.
    Of course, Russia has no hope against NATO. But they still might have usable nukes despite of their age. If NATO goes to a war with Russia, Russia would cease to exist soon after. But any launched nuke also means colossal civilian casualties all over the world, assuming Russia would launch them towards major NATO players like USA and mainland Europe.

That's the point of deterrence, you can be utterly shit at waging war in traditional sense, but with nukes...you have one surefire way for a nation-ending retaliation.

That is why Russia is not going to use them, but given how eager they are in genociding everyone and everything, no nation is gonna risk it. Also why it is incredibly hard to bring a swift end to all this, because if you suggest NATO intervention, then starts the "WW3!!!!!!!!!" screaming, but sitting back, Ukraine is going to suffer long and hard even if it all ends in their defensive victory.

Ergo, Russia is a threat to all mankind and it should cease to exist as a singular nation, land divided back to the original peoples it forcibly absorbed. Or that's what I would see as a desirable outcome. Complete and total disarmament, to never become a military threat again.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post

What is there to be confused about? russia can't use nukes because russia would cease to exist.