Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire TheRealDavidTwo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay but how about a world revamp that...JUST updates the assets? Hmmm...

That would mean Cataclysm but with updated assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    "Land somewhere, go afk, do your business, "

GET FUCKING GANKED

release, run back to your body, have a bit of anxiety if they are still there

"and fly again. It's really just that simple."
    ehm... logout? ever heard of it? you are not forced (or even supposed) to remain ingame for your whole day mate... you are not held hostage you need to leave, you can leave, no reason to hover for that...

From the very beginning Blizzard explicitly tried to encourage players to log off in an inn with the xp-bonus that would accumulate over time. That's not just a catch-up mechanic for players that couldn't play for a couple of days. It was also to encourage roleplaying. To get players to behave like an inhabitant of Azeroth. Same with the cooking fire. Blizzard hoped players would go on adventures, regularly set up camp to create some food that they hunted along the way and enjoy the benefits.

The problem is that they could never go too far with these perks without making them either feel mandatory or turn into exploits. But still, it shows that this is what WoW was originally intended to offer, a world to immerse yourself in.

The Dragonflight alpha does show that Blizzard is making gestures back towards that idea. Like special gear a player has to wear for professions. Brilliant. More of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    There you go, the problem is that travelling is unrewarding, portal rooms are merely treating the symptom of the world itself being soulless.

And yes, 'just don't use the portal room' is inadequate. The portal room streamlines out all travel for all players, it's what ensures there's fewer people out and about traversing the world. It makes WoW feel more like it's been put in a covid lockdown while everyone is working remote.

In a world that's dynamic and immersive, a player would have to ensure they find a safe, ideally guarded, place to idle. Not just from pvp threats, but also pve threats, which are sorely lacking as well. Having to put in that small amount of effort already makes the world feel so much more alive.

Instead, players have started treating it as a nuisance that stands in their way of meeting the gear requirements they need to login on Wednesday and clear the raid for that week.

What used to be gameplay has now turned into a user-experience that has to be streamlined towards the outcome seeks to achieve. Features like getting on your mount anywhere in the world, taking off 10 meters into the air so you become permanently invulnerable to all its hazards is considered an important aid in meeting the objectives.

The ability to warp across the world instantaneously combined with insulating yourself from any difficulties that may occur if you stand around without paying attention is what makes the game feel like an editor.

Dragonriding shows how things can be different. You get far more speed, but in turn you don't get to idle at any X,Y and Z coordinate that you chose. Brilliant. The idle flying mount option is still there. And players are still going to use it. But now at least we know it's no longer integral to WoW anymore, nor should it ever have been.
    So....again. You are wanting to force people to play the game YOUR way. Get over it. Just not using the portal room IS adequate. Just because YOU don't like someone doesn't mean everyone else should be forced to conform your idea of fun.

Travel in WoW has never been difficult. It's only ever been tedious.

The portal room is an admission of failure. It's Blizzard conceding to the player that they weren't able to deliver a world that's relevant enough to be travelling through, fixing it with a bandaid and thereby sidelining it entirely.

10+ Year Old Account
    There you go, the problem is that travelling is unrewarding, portal rooms are merely treating the symptom of the world itself being soulless.
    Who the fuck gives a damn, like really?

The zones are very very quickly becoming been there done that - owaw I totally need to enjoy the Jade Forest 4353453th time on my way to MoP hubs. It's nothing to do with "soulless" or shit like that - it's all simply a done to death old stuff with 0 relevance whatsoever to whatever one thing you go for in the continent.

So yes, portal rooms - which are simply extension of portals we had already for zillion years anyway are made so people at least won't have to sit there and drool at their keyboards trying to get to locations and drool we did all the way since Vanilla because in the end nobody gave a fuck about observing WPL 60000th time flying over it to EPL flight point.

- - - Updated - - -

But sure some contrarian ass weirdo will come and be like "portal rooms are admission to failure" - buzz off with that, buddy. You can RP walk all the way to Northrend Dalaran if you so desire and leave us and our portals alone.

You're close. If you're able to enjoy that MoP hub for the 4353453th time, then why can't the Jade Forest not be equally enjoyable? What is it about that hub that makes you keep coming back to it?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're close. If you're able to enjoy that MoP hub for the 4353453th time, then why can't the Jade Forest not be equally enjoyable? What is it about that hub that makes you keep coming back to it?
    8.3 weekly grind.

And no, I don't want them to waste their time pulling that half-assed shit again at expense of actual new zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    ehm... logout? ever heard of it? you are not forced (or even supposed) to remain ingame for your whole day mate... you are not held hostage you need to leave, you can leave, no reason to hover for that...
    And waste time logging back in? That seems nice.

- - - Updated - - -

In a world that's dynamic and immersive, a player would have to ensure they find a safe, ideally guarded, place to idle. Not just from pvp threats, but also pve threats, which are sorely lacking as well. Having to put in that small amount of effort already makes the world feel so much more alive.

Instead, players have started treating it as a nuisance that stands in their way of meeting the gear requirements they need to login on Wednesday and clear the raid for that week.

What used to be gameplay has now turned into a user-experience that has to be streamlined towards the outcome seeks to achieve. Features like getting on your mount anywhere in the world, taking off 10 meters into the air so you become permanently invulnerable to all its hazards is considered an important aid in meeting the objectives.

The ability to warp across the world instantaneously combined with insulating yourself from any difficulties that may occur if you stand around without paying attention is what makes the game feel like an editor.

Dragonriding shows how things can be different. You get far more speed, but in turn you don't get to idle at any X,Y and Z coordinate that you chose. Brilliant. The idle flying mount option is still there. And players are still going to use it. But now at least we know it's no longer integral to WoW anymore, nor should it ever have been.
    Everyone has an opinion
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

It's funny that everyone thinks that World Revamp means only leveling.

I mean, with a proper evergreen World Revamp they could make so much stuff: rares, world quests, world events, etc, but they could even add a new game activity based on travels stealing ideas from Death Stranding. They can also make scenarios of key moments from Warcraft III, I mean, this game is nearly 20 years old, and many players have never played Warcraft III, revamping Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms presents the opportunity to show these people past events. Let's also not forget about Housing, with a world revamp they can also implement housing since the game real state area will explode, and the Housing system assets can be used to revamp Vanilla cities since most players will want their houses based on their playable races architecture.

A World Revamp opens so many possibilities that I simply cannot understand why some people are against it.
    Last edited by Luck4; 2022-08-01 at 05:12 AM.

Was always looking forward to a new remake of the world. And a cavern of time portal to this old version not removing it like we had in cata.
    Then again i see more and more disney in the art design and not anymore the warcraft.
    Till Legion i loved the art direction but the last few exp packs lacks something happend and i dont see re-designs anymore as a good thing since i beleave to mutch in blizzard are now the wierd woke people that would love to put 1000x pepe in Ogrimmar and consider this as a good thing….
    Last edited by tromage2; 2022-08-01 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Don't bother. That poster is so far in their own head when they post they don't consider what they post.
    Yeah I see that poster on every thread and all it is is QQ and salt

Avatar and Sig by Serryn. Amazing TY

Quote Originally Posted by october breeze View Post
    Cata removed no zones; just updated the questing, story and overall leveing experience to a more linear one.
    ACtually it did removes zones. Arathi Mountains were their own zone with their own map. Now they are apart of Hissbrad Foothills.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post
    It's funny that everyone thinks that World Revamp means only leveling.

I mean, with a proper evergreen World Revamp they could make so much stuff: rares, world quests, world events, etc, but they could even add a new game activity based on travels stealing ideas from Death Stranding. They can also make scenarios of key moments from Warcraft III, I mean, this game is nearly 20 years old, and many players have never played Warcraft III, revamping Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms presents the opportunity to show these people past events. Let's also not forget about Housing, with a world revamp they can also implement housing since the game real state area will explode, and the Housing system assets can be used to revamp Vanilla cities since most players will want their houses based on their playable races architecture.

A World Revamp opens so many possibilities that I simply cannot understand why some people are against it.
    People likje the old zones as is. I cannot understand why some people want an idea so bad they refuse to understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    People likje the old zones as is. I cannot understand why some people want an idea so bad they refuse to understand that.
    I understand that, but I don't understand why can't we have both, since nowadays the Cataclysm version can be preserved through the Chromie Time system, therefore nothing will be lost.

The portal room is an admission of failure. It's Blizzard conceding to the player that they weren't able to deliver a world that's relevant enough to be travelling through, fixing it with a bandaid and thereby sidelining it entirely.
    If WoW played like MMO's of yesteryear i know my sub would stop that very moment. Everquest was fine in 2001 when i was in school but it is gross and to time sensitive now, more like Call of Duty and less like old MMO's. Like now i get KSM every season with pugs and 1 friend ( takes alittle more then a month normally) then log off until the next content patch so i play what 18 to 24 weeks every expansion and thats a good time for any video game.

Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    If WoW played like MMO's of yesteryear i know my sub would stop that very moment.
    That's fair, but pales in comparison to all the people whose subscription stopped the moment it didn't play like the MMO's of yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by Luck4 View Post
    I understand that, but I don't understand why can't we have both, since nowadays the Cataclysm version can be preserved through the Chromie Time system, therefore nothing will be lost.
    Because a new world will take all the resources. We saw what happened in Cata. There was almost no other content because they used all their resources for that. A revamp is also trying to fix something that is not broken.

The world is fine as is. Leave it be.

I hope everyone is enjoying Dragonflight so far. It definitely feels like the immense success of the Dragonriding feature and all the world content lends credence to the idea of a world revamp. Imagine doing all of that stuff but back home on Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms.

Added some stuff to OP.

Would actually look forward to return to Kalimdor and help the Horde again.

Its about time we fix the damage of cata.
    Altho i hope when it happens that we still can switch back to them with something like a portal in the caverns of time.