Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    New Image From ‘Andor’; Diego Luna Teases Dark Tone and a Much Different Cassian Andor

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2022...mber-tone.html
    July 26, 2022 Miguel Fernandez

Andor has been described as a bleak spy thriller that will explore the inner workings of the Rebel Alliance during its most hopeless period. In an interview with Total Film, lead actor Diego Luna teased what the series will deliver, including a Cassian Andor fans will not be too familiar with. In addition to this, Total Film also released a new image from the series (see above) for its latest issue.

Luna first explained how the new series will essentially be a live-action recreation of the backstory he had already imagined for the character while preparing for Rogue One:

“I had already answered many of the questions that the show answers myself, for my process as an actor for Rogue One. Now, I had the chance to explore that with [showrunner] Tony [Gilroy], who’s an amazing collaborator and beautiful writer.”

At Celebration, he said that we practically wouldn’t recognize Cassian at the beginning of the series. Speaking to Total Film, he built upon that comment, saying that, while watching the series, we won’t be able to believe he is the same character that gave the Rebellion its first victory in the Battle of Scarif:

“That talks about a wounded man. We find him in a place where he’s not aware of how capable he is of transforming or being part of change or executing such a sacrifice, but he is the man that comes out from fighting since he was six years old. He’s a very interesting, dark, wounded person. You’re not going to believe that he’s capable of what he does in Rogue One.”

Judging from his comments, it looks like Andor will essentially be an even darker and hopeless take on the character that had no remorse about killing his contact at the beginning of Rogue One. Luna, along with showrunner Tony Gilroy, will have the chance to tell his story in excruciating detail over 24 episodes across two seasons. As revealed during Celebration, the first season will start five years before the events of Rogue One (5 BBY) and cover the first year of that period. The second season, structured in four three-episode arcs, will cover the other four years.

Andor season 1 will premiere on Disney Plus with two episodes on August 31st. Season 2 starts filming in October.

5+ Year Old Account
    Some tweet,

Good Morning America
    @ Gma

TOMORROW ON GMA: Diego Luna joins us LIVE with a special and exclusive GMA first look at the all-new trailer for #Andor, a new @ StarWars
    series streaming soon only on @ Disney plus

12:26 AM · Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2022-08-01 at 12:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waffle can post the press release of the trailer and more news about the show but damn does it look amazing.

Strong Rogue One aesthetic.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2022-08-01 at 12:49 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The new trailer looks alright, kinda drab though as I'm not a fan of the Rogue One colour palette, it's boring and uninteresting visually. Might be more interesting than the last batch of mediocrity to come out of Lucasfilm recently. At least it's a more original character origin story and won't attempt to deconstruction and replace legacy characters like they tried to do with Obi-wan and Book of Boba Fett. I think it certainly has the most potential for a long running series just because of the political aspects involved can give for a deeper overall plot.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2022-08-01 at 01:51 PM.

https://youtu.be/cKOegEuCcfw

This looks much better than recent shows like Obi-Wan and Boba Fett which seemed like poor productions and generic sets, with lame stories.

If this is in line with Rogue One, which it should be, then this will be good.

It's more political, dark and serious, and gritty looking.

But I thought it was due to release Aug. 31st? Now it's Sept 21st?

5+ Year Old Account

+ cinematography and saw gerrera
    - making us wait another month but with incl of saw my annoyance is lessened..

- - - Updated - - -

Uhm, this means they'll maybe push back Bad Batch cuz that's out end of september too..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    But I thought it was due to release Aug. 31st? Now it's Sept 21st?
    Maybe some other disney+ show comes out end of this month, dunno..

But up until today the release date was Aug 31st with two episodes premiering.

Now it's changed to Sept 21 with three episodes premiering. Hmm

This looks rather exciting. Disney's turn to take a stab at the Game of Thrones challenge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two reasons why the date might have been pushed:

They wanted to spread stuff out. Bet Ms Marvel got buried because of Kenobi.

They needed to edit something.

Bad Batch is going to start while Andor is running, but people are more likely to watch both without compromise, vs jumping between two different major franchises in the same week. Andor and Bad Batch don't take place at the same time but they do share to whole height of the Empire era, tons of cross promo opportunities and audience engagement.

The cartoons don't hit as hard here so you might be surprised by dedicated Bad Batch fans are.

Also House of Dragons...yeah.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Also House of Dragons...yeah.
    September is going to be the month of political fuckery.

5+ Year Old Account
    ‘Star Wars’ actor Diego Luna gives sneak peek at Disney series l GMA

Good Morning America
    Aug 1, 2022

The "Star Wars" actor gave “GMA” an exclusive first look at “Andor,” streaming Sept. 21 on Disney+

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    September is going to be the month of political fuckery.
    I feel like Andor is going to be more well received than either Rings of Power or House of Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I feel like Andor is going to be more well received than either Rings of Power or House of Dragons.
    I feel oddly optimistic about House of Dragons. It feels like HBO desperately wants a course correct of such a precious IP.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Guess that's 2 seasons confirmed already then lol
    Such weird information to provide for a new show ahead of its launch. I mean, the timeline of the seasons, not the seasons announced ahead (which is exciting). Nobody asked, nobody wanted to know that nor is it any information that anyone can use in any way.

wish I had more faith in Disney's ability to deliver a darker experience where the enemy is actually competent and threatening and people die.

the Empire has just been so utterly non-threatening in all the shows so far, even the good ones! All enemies have been, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    wish I had more faith in Disney's ability to deliver a darker experience where the enemy is actually competent and threatening and people die.

the Empire has just been so utterly non-threatening in all the shows so far, even the good ones! All enemies have been, really.
    You're not wrong, but to be fair Rogue One was the closest they've come to it, and this show follows in that tradition (even though it chronologically precedes it).

We have a general villain problem in contemporary fiction, where stakes are too illusory and too meek. We definitely need more people to actually kick the bucket in relevant, impactful, and meaningful ways.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

No idea if they will pull it off in a starwars context but between thanos and Wanda on the Marvel side of things Disney’s can defiantly pull it off.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

I was convinced that The Force Awakens was setting up a schism between a hard-line secular fascist junta lead by Hux and a more esoteric sith faction lead by Kylo getting into conflict with each other. That's what I thought The Last Jedi would be about.

And that's where the real dark themes would shine as history is at its lowest points during such civil conflicts.

But that never happened. So perhaps seeing the elite of a defeated Republic cling on to their power while the Emperor rules is something I'll gladly settle for.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    You're not wrong, but to be fair Rogue One was the closest they've come to it, and this show follows in that tradition (even though it chronologically precedes it).

We have a general villain problem in contemporary fiction, where stakes are too illusory and too meek. We definitely need more people to actually kick the bucket in relevant, impactful, and meaningful ways.
    That's definitely been a big failure of Disney's in both Star Wars and the MCU phase 4, the stakes felt almost nonexistent and the bad guys have generally been portrayed as arrogant or over confident rather than being menacing and legitimately threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    That's definitely been a big failure of Disney's in both Star Wars and the MCU phase 4, the stakes felt almost nonexistent and the bad guys have generally been portrayed as arrogant or over confident rather than being menacing and legitimately threatening.
    Not exclusive to Disney, either. Villains have definitely become throwaway non-threats across the board, mere devices to deliver cringe-inducing, stereotypical lines and no real impact on anything in the long term.

Heck, even "The Snap" in the MCU despite its ostensible long-term ramifications has largely become a red herring, with no function other than to occasionally remind people that this is a shared universe. If they'd never undone it, that could have been something; but of course you can't just kill off Spider-Man can you, and there we are, back to toothless threats and illusory stakes.

Yeah so I haven't seen all the mcu movies, especially recent stuff, but it's not like villains in most of them were good either. Only a couple I thought were interesting, like the dude in Civil War who had an actual motivation.

Anyway I think one of the many reasons people liked the Heir to the Empire trilogy (and most Zahn books in particular) is that the enemies are actually competent. Thrawn wins and loses repeatedly; Stormtroopers and Imperial Guards are competent; etc

Seemed okay at the start of Mando to get some eps where the enemies were kind of gimps but it wore off pretty fast. We need more "Battle of Hoth" where the enemy is a complete overwhelming force. Like in the last part of Boba Fett, it felt like the same 8 extras getting mowed down for 30 min straight while random street kids never got touched lmao.

Rogue One definitely did the best job of that so far so maybe they'll stick to it!

The entire premise of this show is going to be predicated on the enemy being terrifying so it wont work if they cant pull that off