Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicpreds View Post
    Yeah...

That's why I mentioned it. Why are you being snarky?
    oh it wasn't intended that way, sorry. I'm just sarcastic by nature. it was more intended at people who say that mountain areas don't really count, not you

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Thank you all for the input. Previous expansion zones (before WoD) were not as big as newer ones (iirc), that's why I asked about Bastion.

I don't know how big the Shadowlands' zones are, but if those 4+1 amass to the size of the Dragon Isles, I have a hard time calling the Dragon Isles as massive as Blizzard does - but I cannot judge that by the information I have now, that's why I am asking for more in depth information.
    4 zones are as big as all of Northrend which was ten zones. How are they anything but massive?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    4 zones are as big as all of Northrend which was ten zones. How are they anything but massive?
    That's why I asked for a comparison to more recent zones (which someone did for Bastion). Many zones in earlier expansions were just smaller in general. And I really wouldn't count something like Wintergrasp or Crystalsong in this comparison.

So yes, 4 = 8 in this case.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

That's why I asked for a comparison to more recent zones (which someone did for Bastion). Many zones in earlier expansions were just smaller in general. And I really wouldn't count something like Wintergrasp or Crystalsong in this comparison.

So yes, 4 = 8 in this case.
    Wintergrasp is quite large and was quite active in Wrath (revenant farming). Crystalsong is a mess but you could just replace it with Dalaran which was a decent-sized mini zone in itself. Every zone in Dragonflight is about the size of one big and one medium zone from Northrend. Stormpeaks + Zul'Drake or Howling Fjord + Grizzly Hills. As ONE zone. That's massive. Think of how large the zones in WoD were, remember there was 7 of them and that Draenor was still smaller than Northrend or Dragon Isles. And you cannot just imagine the zones combined since a large part of wasted space in zones is zone borders; so those would now be active space.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-08-03 at 07:38 AM.

Thank you all for the input. Previous expansion zones (before WoD) were not as big as newer ones (iirc), that's why I asked about Bastion.

I don't know how big the Shadowlands' zones are, but if those 4+1 amass to the size of the Dragon Isles, I have a hard time calling the Dragon Isles as massive as Blizzard does - but I cannot judge that by the information I have now, that's why I am asking for more in depth information.
    Bastion was the biggest zone by far before Dragonflight. Ardenweald is a close second.
    So probably not all Dragonflight zones are bigger than Shadowlands.

Quote Originally Posted by OokOok View Post
    Really shouldn't base it off datamined maps
    If you look at Northrend and then the Dragonflight map you'll notice Dragonflight's map has a lot more mountain areas. Mountain areas typically don't involve content and are just put in for world filler, these days it's what Blizzard does to make the map look fuller than it really is.

25% of the map looks to be mountains. I'm sure some of them we can go in, but most likely not as many as you may hope to assume.
    You could make the same argument for Northrend too except that it would make Northrend actually worse compared to the Dragon Isles (btw. the mountains you see in DI do get used for story and content), considering just how many mountains it has in Icecrown and Storm Peaks which aren't used for anything or how Dragonblight and Borean Tundra's area are largely unused. Not to mention Crystalsong Forrest and Wintergrasp being largely unused areas besides some a handful of quests and dailies.

Quote Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
    Bastion was the biggest zone by far before Dragonflight. Ardenweald is a close second.
    You sure Revendreth is not bigger than Bastion?

You sure Revendreth is not bigger than Bastion?
    According to the Simia who made all the calculations - no.

According to the Simia who made all the calculations - no.

Thank you, this is a very informative graphic. Revendreth being the smallest of the Shadowlands zones feels a bit weird to me though, at least I had the impression of it being way bigger with a lot more stuff to do than the other Shadowlands zones. But maybe it's so because the zone is so packed with stuff and feels so vertical.

Thank you, this is a very informative graphic. Revendreth being the smallest of the Shadowlands zones feels a bit weird to me though, at least I had the impression of it being way bigger with a lot more stuff to do than the other Shadowlands zones. But maybe it's so because the zone is so packed with stuff and feels so vertical.
    Revendreth actually has content all the way to the edge. Maldraxxus for example is mostly wasted space.; I'm pretty sure it has less space that is actually used in game than Revendreth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Revendreth actually has content all the way to the edge. Maldraxxus for example is mostly wasted space.; I'm pretty sure it has less space that is actually used in game than Revendreth.
    I also think the in-game maps for the Shadowlands zones also miss lead people with regarding to zone size. Like the Ardenweald map makes it look like a really small zone while the Maldraxxus map makes seem massive, but in reality, the opposite is the case.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    if Bastion is indeed the largest then absolutely every Dragonflight zone (not including the Dracthyr intro one) is bigger. Waking Shore was just under double the size of Bastion, length ways anyway and is about the same width, and Waking Shore isn't even the biggest zone in DF

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    it's almost like there's some fancy new flying system which they want people to use...
    Yep, just so they can take it away next expac like they did with the flying that we already had, by the way

if Bastion is indeed the largest then absolutely every Dragonflight zone (not including the Dracthyr intro one) is bigger. Waking Shore was just under double the size of Bastion, length ways anyway and is about the same width, and Waking Shore isn't even the biggest zone in DF
    Forbidden reach is probably smaller, no?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Forbidden reach is probably smaller, no?
    that is the Dracthyr intro zone that I mentioned. I didn't measure it, I just assume because it only has 2 levels worth of quests that it is smaller than the other 4

that is the Dracthyr intro zone that I mentioned. I didn't measure it, I just assume because it only has 2 levels worth of quests that it is smaller than the other 4
    I believe we will return to it at max level, still the map is not that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post

Roughly the same size as Northrend.
    Due to how maps are designed in World of Warcraft they can look the same when scaled but a smaller looking map can actually be bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    Yep, just so they can take it away next expac like they did with the flying that we already had, by the way
    They're not gonna take it away they're gonna just enable it everywhere after the expansion is over but probably reduce the speed a bit outside of Dragonflight zones.

15+ Year Old Account

Dragonflight playable region / massive?

How does the playable region/mapsize of DF compare to other expansions? (on release)

Is it true that DF regions are more vertical? Since we all get a dragon to transmog and use in our travels..

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Due to how maps are designed in World of Warcraft they can look the same when scaled but a smaller looking map can actually be bigger.
    Goes for any map, really, which is why maps for navigation and other purposes where distances matter have the scale indicated on them. I could easily make a map of Earth that is smaller than a map of, say, Michigan, but only crazy people would conclude that means Earth is smaller than Michigan.