Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    WB really needs to do what Marvel did. Hire someone who actually understands the comics and their characters, and let them spearhead everything.

WB just does not understand DC or its characters. It's a miracle their animated shows have been as (collectively) amazing as they have been since the early 90s, with only a few stinkers along the way. But for some reason, WB keeps thinking they have to "reimagine" everything in their live action productions, or worse, use the logic "well Batman was a big success, so let's make everyone dark, broody, and gothic like Batman!" even for characters who are anything but.

Sony, Fox, and Paramount had similar problems in all fairness, but at least they--most notably Sony--finally accepted that they had no idea what they were doing and made deals with the people who did, and both are reaping the rewards for doing so. WB though? There's no sign whatsoever that they got that memo and instead are doubling down on the whole "we're movie execs, we know what's best and we have to justify our ridiculous paychecks by pretending that we actually do" ideal.

Clearly people don't want honest interpretations of their beloved characters. Marvel definitely proved that.

Supposedly DC is looking for their own Kevin Feige, and have been for some time. I guess it's easier said than done because they still haven't found one. Zack Snyder was supposed to be that person but failed at it. Thing is if they want to replicate the formula, they need a producer, not director. Snyder can't direct and oversee an universe all by himself. His vision was wrong for the DCU anyway.

It's crazy to me that they have a almost complete movie that they already spent 90M on. It's at the very end of post production... How bad is the movie that the bad press of canceling the movie is better than recouping some of the cost?

I'm really worried for the Blue Beetle movie, and I wonder if this shake up at DC is why Young Justice hasn't been removed. YJ season 4 was top 3 on HBO Max during its run.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Probably didn't have anything to do with the quality of the film, given this tweet: https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...46644725846017

seems someone at Warner Bros Discovery really hates anything to do with HBO Max

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a big loss IMO
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    From what I understand Affleck doesn't want much to do with Batman. But I get the feeling that it might have more to do with the studio tying him down to the role for multiple years. Same complaints Craig had with Bond, it's not that he dislikes the role, but the way the studio domineers the actors time around the role/movie.

It's likely why we get Battfleck in cameo roles and reduced screen time and not a full out Batman movie.
    What did they expect?^^
    Bond is always a multi film deal...
    And Batman? Arguably after superman the most well known fictional character in the world? In a time where they obviously wanted to make a big DCU in line with the MCU...

I don't think affleck didn't expect or wanted that. He probably just doesn't want to put up with one of the most toxic fandoms on the planet^^

They should focus on trying to do Batman Beyond instead. A futuristic setting with a younger protagonist has a lot more potential than any bat family films.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    From what I understand Affleck doesn't want much to do with Batman. But I get the feeling that it might have more to do with the studio tying him down to the role for multiple years. Same complaints Craig had with Bond, it's not that he dislikes the role, but the way the studio domineers the actors time around the role/movie.

It's likely why we get Battfleck in cameo roles and reduced screen time and not a full out Batman movie.
    I think this is what happened too, they treated pretty bad the actors for that last movie, then wanted to ditch then.

I do still hope they find a common ground and with, perhaps the reival of znyderverse, they can come back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    Probably didn't have anything to do with the quality of the film, given this tweet: https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...46644725846017

seems someone at Warner Bros Discovery really hates anything to do with HBO Max
    Their new boss, (Zaslaw?) or w/e his name is is canceling a lot of movies atm because he doesn't believe in them and by doing this they will get a tax cut. In other words, he believes getting tax cuts will give them more money than marketing these movies and releasing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    It's crazy to me that they have a almost complete movie that they already spent 90M on. It's at the very end of post production... How bad is the movie that the bad press of canceling the movie is better than recouping some of the cost?
    It's not just the publicity - though don't underestimate that, a terrible movie can wreak havoc with subsequent films.

It's also about various accounting shenanigans. If they never release it, the loss shows up differently on the books than it does on a release that does poorly. That's likely the primary reason they're pulling it despite the cost.

Batman has always been a Dumb Idea, he is just a human and Could literally be killed instantly by anyone else in the DC universe that has even a slight super human ability. But then to try and throw a woman in the same role is even less believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's not just the publicity - though don't underestimate that, a terrible movie can wreak havoc with subsequent films.

It's also about various accounting shenanigans. If they never release it, the loss shows up differently on the books than it does on a release that does poorly. That's likely the primary reason they're pulling it despite the cost.
    As a CPA, thats not true. Especially if they just release it to HBO Max, they wouldn't have to release the viewership numbers to the public. From an accounting stand point they lost 90M on this film. It costs next to nothing to throw it on a streaming service. There's a lot of creative accounting in the movie business but this decision doesn't give any advantage on the books.

Edit: I have also read the articles on using this as a tax write off and its a bit laughable. The costs are already a tax write off. The revenue would be taxed but not at a rate greater than 100%. I would assume they would aggressively amortize the costs as they wouldn't expect a lot of staying power from the film.
    Last edited by Jotaux; 2022-08-03 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    What did they expect?^^
    Bond is always a multi film deal...
    And Batman? Arguably after superman the most well known fictional character in the world? In a time where they obviously wanted to make a big DCU in line with the MCU...

I don't think affleck didn't expect or wanted that. He probably just doesn't want to put up with one of the most toxic fandoms on the planet^^
    I definitely remember him wanting more creative control which wasn't going to happen.

Honestly if he came around for Nolan or for the current Batman movies, he would have likely been happier. But WB wanted numarvel universe for DC and that isn't the time for Affleck to flex his movie making and creative skills unfortunately.

I like him as Batman, but I'd stop short of saying he's my favorite, just because Batman tends to not be the star of his own movies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I think this is what happened too, they treated pretty bad the actors for that last movie, then wanted to ditch then.

I do still hope they find a common ground and with, perhaps the reival of znyderverse, they can come back.
    I think it's the snyderverse part that hurts the relations most.

1+ Year Old Account
    Such bullcrp omg -_- modern Television "giants" are going to fail in their attempts to force everytone onto phemenistic "agenda"

Quote Originally Posted by Spey View Post
    Such bullcrp omg -_- modern Television "giants" are going to fail in their attempts to force everytone onto phemenistic "agenda"
    Why do all of these posts read like low tier bait? Stop beating around the bush and actually say what you mean. It's not like this is your real account, right?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    They should focus on trying to do Batman Beyond instead. A futuristic setting with a younger protagonist has a lot more potential than any bat family films.
    Only if they remove the clone part of the story and let Terry stand completely on his own merits, but knowing WB we would get the Tim Drake run.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Why do all of these posts read like low tier bait?
    Because they are

I personally see it as a GOOD thing if a studio shows some responsibility and stops even a big-budget, A-list project if they think it's not good enough.

Yes, it's a problem that it even got this far (that in itself says something about the studio...) but I'd rather them swallow the shit than blast it at us.

Where to go from here? It's tough to say. Seems to me they tried real hard to carve out a unique DC identity, rather than just going for "The MCU, but with Batman"; if that was a good decision, that can be debated. But they seem to have stumbled a little, and so far have not really managed to find the right recipe for their cinematic universe. We have basically zero cohesion in the DC movies, they're all a patchwork of disparate attempts that never really came together in any meaningful way and were soft-rebooted at every turn. That's really tough to watch.

As a CPA, thats not true. Especially if they just release it to HBO Max, they wouldn't have to release the viewership numbers to the public. From an accounting stand point they lost 90M on this film. It costs next to nothing to throw it on a streaming service. There's a lot of creative accounting in the movie business but this decision doesn't give any advantage on the books.
    Assuming that's true (I'm not a CPA and have no clue about "purchase accounting adjustments"). For weird accounting in the industry I recall that the fictious accounting for "Springtime for Hitler: A Gay Romp With Adolf and Eva at Berchtesgaden" (in "The Producers") was based on fraud, not real tax breaks.

So what if there's a different "accounting" reason in this case?

What if someone is paid a bonus for the number, average movie revenues for released movies, for the average hitting some target, or something similar. How would the decision influence that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Batman has always been a Dumb Idea, he is just a human and Could literally be killed instantly by anyone else in the DC universe that has even a slight super human ability. But then to try and throw a woman in the same role is even less believable.
    Careful with that take, you might burn yourself on it
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

I'm not privy to all the details, but from what I understand as it's been explained to me it has to do with WHERE the loss shows up, not whether it shows up at all. Specifically, it seems they want to avoid connecting it in any way to HBO Max. But I'm not an accountant myself.

Edit: I have also read the articles on using this as a tax write off and its a bit laughable. The costs are already a tax write off. The revenue would be taxed but not at a rate greater than 100%. I would assume they would aggressively amortize the costs as they wouldn't expect a lot of staying power from the film.
    I believe most of the press reports at least have to do with a £150,000 premium from the city of Glasgow linked to them filming there, that hasn't been paid yet and is now in dispute for various legal reasons. I'm sure there's other tax shenanigans involved depending on who gets to book the loss, but surely not the ENTIRE sum.