Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'd like the game to have a 'default build' button for the newbies/lazy folks/world questers. (I fall in the latter two categories).

Just press it and the talents are filled automatically as you level. It doesn't need to be optimal, it just needs to give a basically functional build. I CBA with researching the new trees; it looks boring as all hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    It honestly doesn't matter what Talent system Blizzard implements. Most people will either go on WoWhead or Icyveins and copy-paste the build.

You act like those talent trees are something brand new when in fact they put all of the existing talents, skills and traits in there, added maybe 5% new stuff and called it a day.

These new talent trees are as basic and uninnovative as it gets, in most cases they are a simple UI change making the spellbook and "old" talent system a new talent tree. There's really not much going on anyway and most builds are the same as they are now, even if there are new (but very minor) changes on how they are approached or work.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    New trees are okay, you basically spec into one of three builds where you pick either left, right or sides only, it shouldnt be too hard to balance so long as the best stuff is kept as capstone talents.

What does bother me is the stupid design of having utility in the spec tree and damage in the class tree. outside of capstone talents the class tree should be pure utility and the spec tree pure throughput. This is very evident in the shadow priest tree where your CC and raid utility are on the spec side which means you will never have them, and the class tree has one single line designed purely for damage which severely limits the options. you will always pick the damage talents in the class tree hands down and you will never pick the utility talents in the spec tree. THAT is stupid design, choosing between performance and utility is NEVER a choice and no amount of nuance will 'fix' that.

Rogue trees have similar problems where branches are useless because they are utility and dont improve performance.

This system isnt far off from my idea of a perfect system they just need to fix a few things here and there and it will be golden.
    Make class tree pure utility, make spec pure performance.

The new trees function nothing like the old vanilla ones, they only look similar. the new trees have separate trunks and clusters that are effectively exclusive with others. One thing that it does do very well is having complimentary talents to alter the playstyle of abilities granted by talents to balance them better, and the choice nodes give good exclusive options, like the frost mage talent lonely winter vs water elemental, pick one or the other.

I like the new system, it still needs some work and they need to stick to the philosophy of separating utility and throughput.
    Im glad i wasnt the only one who noticed this. The part that makes this even worse is NOT ALL THE TREES DO THIS so there definitely will be clear classes that will have a straight advantage over others who only have output in their spec trees. And its not only just raid utility and cc in the some spec trees its also mobility in some cases. The biggest flaw of these trees are they are inconsistent as hell between classes and probably wont be fixed by launch

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    I'd like the game to have a 'default build' button for the newbies/lazy folks/world questers. (I fall in the latter two categories).

Just press it and the talents are filled automatically as you level. It doesn't need to be optimal, it just needs to give a basically functional build. I CBA with researching the new trees; it looks boring as all hell.
    Uh, you can't be bothered to literally read what the talent does then choose which one you want to use? o_O

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post

I can definitely understand your point but the problem is what you said at the end "it looks boring as all hell", if Blizzard can't make it look fun to figure out, then the goal of bringing in new players is dead and WoW will continue its death spiral.

Then spend 10 mins doing that and leave the people that wanna feel like they are playing an RPG do exactly that.

I am sick and tired of all thise hate.
    I like that they added this back. I love options,Why is it people are afraid of anything a 4 year old can not master in 2 minutes.
    I love vanila,TBC,WOTLK, for the talent tree, the options and the build you can do. sure " Increase you chance to hit with frost spells 1/3 by 1% " is not a interesting talent, but other ones are more cool. and it feels nice when you can go " So i know X is the best, but i honestly prefer Y "

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    This is pretty different from Covenants, though I do understand a bit of the cynicism. It does give us the potential for more choices which, like I said, is generally a good thing.
    I can't really see it that was but I might just be to used to the same pattern repeating itself. I never really understood blizzard fascination with pretend choices ( usually the choice is be effective or fail tightly tuned dps checks... corruption for example
    Do 50% more total dmg or get 7% avoidance).

Wow keeps focusing more and more on its 3 pillars. Raiding, mythic plus, and pvp. Of the three only pvp through it's own talent systems has been able to provide meaningful choice. In pve I can't see a scenario where you are not set in stone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Uh, you can't be bothered to literally read what the talent does then choose which one you want to use? o_O
    I've raided at the ce level for over a decade and I'm pretty sure at no point pre simplified tree could I tell you what my talents did beyond a few big ticket ones. It isnt really something you need to know they act in the backround.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    I can definitely understand your point but the problem is what you said at the end "it looks boring as all hell", if Blizzard can't make it look fun to figure out, then the goal of bringing in new players is dead and WoW will continue its death spiral.
    That's it in a nutshell. It doesn't look fun to me. Fillers aren't fun. Choosing (what should be) baseline abilities isn't fun. Adding complexity for the sake of it is poor game design.

I don't understand all the hate, it makes it a bit more involved and interesting (I need those few talents, how do i get to them?) for those who care, and the people who don't care just go to Icy Veins or whatever to look up what's the basic setup, like they do with the current talent system as well, so no real change there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love talent trees. But I also didn't mind the column system WoW had either (except when they were introduced I didn't like them, but I got used to it over time), the only issue with the column system which was it felt like a dumbed down version of the Diablo 3 system and the fact that there wasnt enough columns to warrant the amount of levels (that being 110 at the time), but even with the reduction back to level 60 the column still few very few.

What I loved about the original talent trees was that it gave you something to do every level. Sure it was an illusion of choice, but it felt rewarding still. I loved having to level for that extra point to spend. Yes they were cookie cutter and they had their own issues, but as I said I just love talent trees. and I do hope these new ones will have more varied choice instead of one build to rule them all. :P

The problem with MMO's and any online game is that there is always going to be a meta, there is always going to be one way. unless those talents provide cosmetic only things thing there is no other way to make them experimental.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-08-04 at 08:33 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by oKURWAmon View Post
    I absolutely despise talent tress for the following reason:

1) You need to look up the randomly designed singular motherfucking path and progress along in order to be able to unlock the one ability you like.
    Capstone talents are designed for certain play styles, hence you need to advance through related path to reach them.
    2) It's cluttered as fuck: too many choices and you always feel like fuck I'm missing one of my most important abilities now!
    Congratulations, you have finally realized how every talent system ever works: you need to make choices.
    3) It's a nightmare to balance! 38 specs and 13 class trees on top of it: Just how the absolute fuck does Blizzard expect to keep them balanced?
    Just like before: varying degrees of cluster fuck, so nothing really changes.
    4) Players literally forced to always change talent points now. On a per pull basis. Imagine the time it takes to re-talent every single fucking button you have in raids.
    Good thing you can save unlimited number of builds to a drop down menu and change between them in a single click.
    5) Imagine the time and resources this clusterfuck takes away which could be spent on other areas of the game. Every time I open up WoWHead I'm bombarded with a FULL PAGE of class and spec talent changes now. Who the fuck even cares? Just give us the tools to play our class and spec and be done with it.
    Talents are the same class and spec abilities you have always had. You just learn them from talent tree instead of passively learning them every so often.

I was so happy when MoP finally removed this talent tree bullshit. Why bring it back now?
    Because talents make progressing new character more interesting for new players, and this implementation means we don't need new borrowed power system each expansion/patch, they can just add new things to the talents.

The ""new"" trees are pretty garbage for the most part. Blizzard can't really do anything except serve you the same Legion classes on a different plate with some recycled effects sprinkled on top.

If you want fun talent trees, WotLK Classic is waiting for you.

The concerns about raiders having to swap talents on a per pull basis are some of the whiniest concerns I've ever heard though.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    The ""new"" trees are pretty garbage for the most part. Blizzard can't really do anything except serve you the same Legion classes on a different plate with some recycled effects sprinkled on top.

If you want fun talent trees, WotLK Classic is waiting for you.

The concerns about raiders having to swap talents on a per pull basis are some of the whiniest concerns I've ever heard though.
    Wrath talents were the same cookie cutter. This unicorn spec didn't really exist in organized play.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    Wrath talents were the same cookie cutter. This unicorn spec didn't really exist in organized play.
    If that is the case, then why does Wrath allow me to play retribution/prot paladin hybrid who uses a spellpower weapon in PvP?

If that is the case, then why does Wrath allow me to play retribution/prot paladin hybrid who uses a spellpower weapon in PvP?
    You can but you are gonna suck. Just like you can roll yolo right now. The playerbase has gotten better. You won't be successful beyond the entry level.

Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    You can but you are gonna suck. Just like you can roll yolo right now. The playerbase has gotten better. You won't be successful beyond the entry level.
    You do realize that it's a viable spec in arena, right?

You do realize that it's a viable spec in arena, right?
    I kind of doubt it less you are only lightly going into prot.

The games changeg much like classic had everyone abusing world buffs and tbc had insane stacking ahead of time I doubt your meme spec is going to fair well.

The new talent system isn't punishing enough. There should be more tough choices and you shouldn't be able to swap between multiple builds on the fly. Part of playing a RPG is making a build that works good enough for all the things you want to do, not being able to have access to everything whenever you feel like it.