Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The original Aspects were empowered via a Titanic device of some kind, one employed by Keeper Tyr in the events of Dawn of the Aspects. We also know that the Titans are all about redundancies, such as the Pillars of Creation that the Pantheon left as an encapsulation of their own power for later use on Azeroth. In this regard, it makes sense that the Aspects would have a similar type of failsafe in case they were needed once more, and the Oathstones essentially represent that - they're basically Pillars of Creation oriented more to the Aspects and stored in a location that is more or less all about dragonkind as a whole.

They're obviously new to the story, but their existence is pretty easy to intuit based on the prior actions of the Titans and their penchant for redundancy and storing power in objects for later use.
    Eh this is just seeing a pattern and calling it logical just because it is a pattern. We HAVE seen what it takes to empower an Aspect, at no point did the Blue flight need the Azure Oathstone to do it. It doesn't even seem like the Oathstones, like the Pillars or the Sigils, are the center of the story, they just happen to be around.

I hope they don't end up killing Alexstrasza or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Ysera's death didn't even take, I doubt she's in any real danger either.

Nozdormu's on the chopping block at some point though, and Sabellian feels likely too (much as I hate that).

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Eh this is just seeing a pattern and calling it logical just because it is a pattern. We HAVE seen what it takes to empower an Aspect, at no point did the Blue flight need the Azure Oathstone to do it. It doesn't even seem like the Oathstones, like the Pillars or the Sigils, are the center of the story, they just happen to be around.
    Patterns, by their nature, posit a predictable (and therefore logical) progression. The Oathstones didn't empower the original Aspects, but they appear to be symbolic of that empowerment (by virtue of representing the Aspect's oath to their purpose), and fortunately able to re-empower to some degree. Both the Pillars and Covenant Sigils were pretty central to their expansion's story, as well - moving the plot forward in most cases, as well as comprising a significant part of the overall story arc.

The Aspects re-empowering themselves to some degree, recommitting to their previous roles as Azeroth's stewards, is going to be a pretty significant movement in the story as well, even if other things are going on.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    We need her to go evil and raid boss to complete our Aspect Bingo card.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Patterns, by their nature, posit a predictable (and therefore logical) progression. The Oathstones didn't empower the original Aspects, but they appear to be symbolic of that empowerment (by virtue of representing the Aspect's oath to their purpose), and fortunately able to re-empower to some degree. Both the Pillars and Covenant Sigils were pretty central to their expansion's story, as well - moving the plot forward in most cases, as well as comprising a significant part of the overall story arc.

The Aspects re-empowering themselves to some degree, recommitting to their previous roles as Azeroth's stewards, is going to be a pretty significant movement in the story as well, even if other things are going on.
    Look, you want to excuse poor writing because they added a cheap McGuffin instead of actually showing the Aspects doing something for Azeroth (and not for themselves, their house and their flights). Have fun. Like the first zone has us reempower the Ruby lifestone yet the one who actually pulls all the work is not even Alex, it's Sabellian.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    We need her to go evil and raid boss to complete our Aspect Bingo card.
    Maybe Murozond can pull out Aszartsxela from some AU for us to kill. (Did I inverse that right?)
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-08-04 at 07:01 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Don't get baited, this is what this guy only talks about.
    Ye, better not, but some are really pushing it sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Look, you want to excuse poor writing because they added a cheap McGuffin instead of actually showing the Aspects doing something for Azeroth (and not for themselves, their house and their flights). Have fun. Like the first zone has us reempower the Ruby lifestone yet the one who actually pulls all the work is not even Alex, it's Sabellian.
    I'm actually saying it's not "poor writing," as it's exceedingly early to really make that pronouncement in my opinion. The idea of Oathstones is consistent, and the mechanism within RPG-type video games is pretty common. Whether or not the story element is done well within the greater story arc remains to be seen - you appear to have come to what I'd say is a pretty hasty prejudgment, though.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The Blue flight didn't attempt their empowerment after the power of the Aspect was exhausted killing Deathwing.

7+ Year Old Account
    I came to realize how random Malygos going evil in WotLK was, and how wasteful, on top of that. He got like the shortest end of the stick from all the Aspects in terms of development.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-08-04 at 07:36 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Bloodsail Admiral Foreign Exchange Ztudent's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    I mean Domain of Magic.. Magic kind of fucked everything in your life.. Said Magic was abused by Mortals and Immortals.. You snap and wage war against those you believe fucked your life up and then you die because Plot Armor heroes show up when they activate cocaine magic concentrator.

To be honest if anything the fact he didn't snap sooner is actually more impressive.

(Also since Shadow Wing is recanonized, there's a reason why he didn't snap sooner.)
    Last edited by Foreign Exchange Ztudent; 2022-08-04 at 07:50 PM.
    I no longer reply to quotations beyond if you're asking a genuine question or have a non-confrontational stance.

Nihil.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Exchange Ztudent View Post
    I mean Domain of Magic.. Magic kind of fucked everything in your life.. Said Magic was abused by Mortals and Immortals.. You snap and wage war against those you believe fucked your life up and then you die because Plot Armor heroes show up when they activate cocaine magic concentrator.

To be honest if anything the fact he didn't snap sooner is actually more impressive.

(Also since Shadow Wing is recanonized, there's a reason why he didn't snap sooner.)
    Yeah, to be honest he wasn’t wrong. Mortals using magic often fees like it causes more problems than it fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    Yeah, to be honest he wasn’t wrong. Mortals using magic often fees like it causes more problems than it fixes.
    It's not like Dragons using magic are any better though. He wasn't fixing anything.

It's not like Dragons using magic are any better though. He wasn't fixing anything.
    Wasn't he kind of though by the end of his life? Something about realigning leylines, as I recall.

Though as I also recall it would've been bad for the world in general so...

Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Wasn't he kind of though by the end of his life? Something about realigning leylines, as I recall.

Though as I also recall it would've been bad for the world in general so...
    Given leylines seem to be Azeroth's literal veins, I am not sure what he was doing was good for the planet. I think it was a waste, in the same way they wasted so many big names in TBC and turned them villains just so they could have a raid. He did not even get a proper raid; just quests in a couple of zones, a dungeon no one wanted to do and a solo boss raid . . .

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Rerouting ley lines to the Nexus so he can yeet all magic into space.
    Basically a planet sized flare gun alerting anyone and anything that could potentially come and harm Azeroth.

His plan would've left Azeroth completely defenseless and who knows what that would've done to all the life on Azeroth, especially all the species and areas that are directly dependant on it.
    Yogg was almost free at the time and we already knew the Legion was gonna return at some point, so either of those forces would've just taken over the planet.
    Last edited by Raetary; 2022-08-04 at 08:44 PM.

Formerly known as Arafal

Stupid Cata writing shouldn't have a deep storyline to revoke it. It was always stupid for the Dragons to lose their power/turn sterile (lol) to defeat Deathwing, so I'm amazed there's any attempt at all to bother telling a story about them getting it back.

At least it seems to be resolved in a patch, unlike Shadowlands where the covenant stories took two patches.

Couldn't agree more. The general idea of an artifact that holds immense power, needs to be collected before the bad guys take it, that later serves as some sort of a key to defeat the final villian feels to some degree lame and definitely uninspired.

This is literally the very first thing that comes to mind, hence I'm not surprised that your fan-fics from your teenage years resolved around that theme.

You have a goal to achieve - collect it.
    You have a challange - bad guys want it to, to do their bad things.
    It holds as much power as the scenario requires to fit into the plot neatly.
    Artifact is a key factor to defeat the big bad.

It doesn't mean it can't be fun, but imo, you are absolutely right about unattractiveness of such take on storytelling. We had Dragon Soul, Pillars, even Artifact Weapons to some degree, Heart of Azeroth, Sigils, now it's Oathstones... yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebron View Post
    Couldn't agree more. The general idea of an artifact that holds immense power, needs to be collected before the bad guys take it, that later serves as some sort of a key to defeat the final villian feels to some degree lame and definitely uninspired.

This is literally the very first thing that comes to mind, hence I'm not surprised that your fan-fics from your teenage years resolved around that theme.

You have a goal to achieve - collect it.
    You have a challange - bad guys want it to, to do their bad things.
    It holds as much power as the scenario requires to fit into the plot neatly.
    Artifact is a key factor to defeat the big bad.

It doesn't mean it can't be fun, but imo, you are absolutely right about unattractiveness of such take on storytelling. We had Dragon Soul, Pillars, even Artifact Weapons to some degree, Heart of Azeroth, Sigils, now it's Oathstones... yeah.
    Yeah still not buying it, just seems like more whinging. Somehow the concept of collecting 5- or 7 or whatever things to lead to something big event happening or what not isn't a bad idea. Weather its stones,gems, pillars or whatever.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2022-08-04 at 10:33 PM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post

I just love reposting this video.
    Perfection. I can never forget.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezits View Post
    Stupid Cata writing shouldn't have a deep storyline to revoke it. It was always stupid for the Dragons to lose their power/turn sterile (lol) to defeat Deathwing, so I'm amazed there's any attempt at all to bother telling a story about them getting it back.

At least it seems to be resolved in a patch, unlike Shadowlands where the covenant stories took two patches.
    Likely because world-ending threats are gone for now, so the aspects don’t necessarily need their powers. It’s more about retaking the Dragon Isles and finishing those threads they left with Chromatus and Nozdormu.

I hope they continue this post-DF to wrap up and refresh WoW’s old worldbuilding.