Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The Jan 6th committee has decimated people who claimed Executive Time applied, but didn't. Steve Bannon, for example.
    Well, the difference is that Steve Bannon didn't even show up. I don't think there's a single case of someone going in front of the Jan 6 panel and claiming executive privilege on a topic, where the jan 6 panel pushed back with a judge to get them to testify about it anyway. I could be wrong though! lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    Well, the difference is that Steve Bannon didn't even show up.
    I'm referring to before that, but yes, not showing up was a stupid fucking thing to do.

Cipollone invoked executive privilege multiple times in his Jan 6th interview. So, yes, it's a thing he's apparently allowed to do.

Fortunately, it clearly didn't cover everything.
    Excuse me for making this seem like I am trying to argue with you, but this is utter complete bs! I mean eff my life here, where excuse me repeating myself is he represents the office. An that office shouldn't do effin insurrections. So twofold. 1) as a patriot in protecting our constitution and government way, he should step forward and tell everything with the same bs of the grey area of executive privilege. Have that Orange piece of bleep sue and see what happens. 2) This was an effin insurrection! This is a reason that the counsel is there to protect the office of the President and once more the Constitution.

So not directed at you but pisses me off so much on the pieces of crap. With DOD, DHS and USSS texts its amazing how next Fascism will come to power and likely hold. My other rant is Garland and the DOJ seeing all this destroying of evidence should make him mad.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    So not directed at you
    I get it.

From context, I believe Cipollone was actively pushing back on the insurrection itself. I don't know what, specifically, he's saying is privileged here, but we've all seen the Eastman memo. The fact that there was legal wiggle room is, and I'm sure you agree, terrifying. From context, I believe Cipollone was against any wiggling and believes in his office's ethics enough to keep that part confidential.

But, like, hearing Trump yell at Georgia on the phone? Hearing his discussions with his re-election campaign? I'm guessing he's not just willing, but eager, to testify.

We'll find out. This is one court case Trump won't setttle, since (a) he goes to jail and (b) I don't think Georgia will move without a slam dunk.

so there is this...

This. Should. Be. A. Bigger. Story.

FBI Got 4,500 Kavanaugh Tips—Then Punted Them to Trump Team

Not really breaking news, this was reported during the hearing. Here w/o relitigating the hearing I wish they pushed more. His corruption. Yet, I admit with this and all, it would have been hard to prosecute this. Well, especially since Trump was in on the game.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ponse-1392829/

In which American conservatives do...a victory lap over Griner being sentence in Russia?

Man, I thought they were all "AMERICA FIRST", but apparently that was a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

In which American conservatives do...a victory lap over Griner being sentence in Russia?

Yeah, I have been seeing posts by conservatives a lot on Tiktok, and they are saying good she deserves it because she didn't stand for the flag. And I just want to say to them, that if they did the same fucking thing with a railroaded bullshit charge, that no one would save them. And they would never respond to me.

It is only "AMERICA FIRST!!!" if you are a specific melanin type or belief. Otherwise, out you go. Her getting charged for what amounts to not even a misdemeanor in even a conservative state isn't even the thing they are worried about. It is the fact she kneeled during the anthem. Fascists every one of them.

Honestly, they should be forced to register as foreign agents of Russia the way they keep cheering on.

10+ Year Old Account
    CNN reports with undisguised glee that Trump's lawyers are talking directly to the DoJ. Probably because they know the train is coming and they don't want to be tied to the tracks.

CNN reports with undisguised glee that Trump's lawyers are talking directly to the DoJ. Probably because they know the train is coming and they don't want to be tied to the tracks.
    People keep telling me it isn't happening, but then it happens and they deny it, all the way til its done and they still claim fake news.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022...iative-slavery

Multiple news outlets have reported that Florida teachers who’ve attended conferences held by the Florida Department of Education this summer, as part of a “civics excellence” initiative unveiled by the governor last year, have been deeply disturbed at what they’ve seen. According to the Tampa Bay Times, throughout the sessions, facilitators have attempted to downplay the history of slavery in the U.S., and insist that of all the slave-owing nations, the U.S. was the least into it. Tatiana Ahlbum, a 12th-grade government and economics teacher at Fort Lauderdale High, said it was stressed that the majority of enslaved people in America had been born into slavery, that the colonies bought fewer enslaved people from the transatlantic slave trade than has been previously portrayed, and that less than 4% of enslaved people worldwide lived in America, without noting that that percentage still constituted millions of people. Ahlbum told the Times that it felt like the instructors were trying to claim America had been “less bad” when it came to enslaving people, which certainly appears to be the case! Meanwhile, another slide reportedly quoted George Washington and Thomas Jefferson as saying they wanted to get rid of slavery, while crucially leaving out the fact that both men enslaved people, with the latter owning more than 600 in his lifetime and also famously raping at least one of them. Ahlbum added that few of the facts presented included cited sources. “We were not told which documents stated this or how to find them, just that they existed,” she said.
    Yo, why do Republicans keep trying to downplay slavery and shit? Like, is there literally any reason beyond, "We're sensitive snowflakes and this makes us uncomfortable"? I swear to fuckin god man, what the fuck is in the air, water, and whatever the fuck else is down in Florida, and why is Ron DeSantis and co. hopped up on it like a 5 year old and a 2 liter of Coke.

Yo, why do Republicans keep trying to downplay slavery and shit? Like, is there literally any reason beyond, "We're sensitive snowflakes and this makes us uncomfortable"? I swear to fuckin god man, what the fuck is in the air, water, and whatever the fuck else is down in Florida, and why is Ron DeSantis and co. hopped up on it like a 5 year old and a 2 liter of Coke.
    I would like to note that I’m pretty sure Slavery itself doesn’t make them uncomfortable. They dont care and dont feel any guilt over it (even though it was so pervasive and bad that any sociologist would be able to expertly explain that black culture for americans born in the country is a mutation of southern culture - having literally replaced their actual heritage all the way down to how african american accents are just degenerated southern ones).

What theyre ACTUALLY uncomfortable with is the fact that they don’t have the moral highground, which is a one of the republican parties biggest selling points to people who believe their lies. They adamantly insist they are the saviours of morality and western society, and dislike it when you point out how barbaric, amoral, and apathetic they are to actual moral issues.

So rather than just being better they insist they were never bad in the first place.

Just my take though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, it's time to play Guess the Speaker!

In our nation’s 246 year history there has never been an individual who is a greater threat to our Republic than Donald Trump.
    "Clearly some commie librul elite snowflake."

Nope.

"Ah, then a RINO. Cheney?"

Which one?

"...uh oh."

Yep, that's Dick Cheney outright calling Trump an enemy of the people.

He lost his election and he lost big. I know it, he knows it, and deep down I think most Republicans know it. Lynne and I are so proud of Liz for standing up for the truth, doing what's right, honoring her oath to the Constitution, when so many in our party are too scared to do so.
    I would say "shots fired" but last time he did that, he hit an elderly friend of his in the face.

Wanna see the video?

"Of someone being shot in the face?"

No no, the ad in which Dick Cheney calls Trump a danger to America.

10+ Year Old Account

Nope.

Which one?

"...uh oh."

I would say "shots fired" but last time he did that, he hit an elderly friend of his in the face.

Wanna see the video?

When Dick Cheney has the moral highground on you, you know you fucked up.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Nope.

Which one?

"...uh oh."

Wanna see the video?

When the person people compared to Emperor Palpatine says you are evil and should be rejected, I think people should listen.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    When the person people compared to Emperor Palpatine says you are evil and should be rejected, I think people should listen.
    That made my chuckle.

For all I have zero like or empathy for Trump, I do still really regret the lost opportunity he had. When he was first running I was cautiously hopeful that he could be the kind of chaos that could actually make real change in the government that a career politican never would. Trump had an opportunity for the first while he was in office where if he had really pushed for it, he could have done big things like term limits and campaign finance reform. He had the fear from both sides of what he might do that he COULD have done great things.

Instead..... we got what we got.

Its highly dissappointing and I'm not sure how long it will take before we get someone else who could make a real difference and actually wants to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    That made my chuckle.

For all I have zero like or empathy for Trump, I do still really regret the lost opportunity he had. When he was first running I was cautiously hopeful that he could be the kind of chaos that could actually make real change in the government that a career politican never would. Trump had an opportunity for the first while he was in office where if he had really pushed for it, he could have done big things like term limits and campaign finance reform. He had the fear from both sides of what he might do that he COULD have done great things.

Instead..... we got what we got.

Its highly dissappointing and I'm not sure how long it will take before we get someone else who could make a real difference and actually wants to.
    Trump never wanted to make a difference. It was… and remains… about making himself money.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yo, why do Republicans keep trying to downplay slavery and shit?
    Because it's part of trying to keep America's psychology that minorities are less than and therefore abusing them and/or denying them rights is a-ok.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

That's cool and all, Dick, but literally fuck you forever and I won't be remotely sad when that repulsive sack of decaying flesh kicks the bucket. Sure he's, oddly, one of the few reasonable Republicans left, but that's largely because the overton window has shifted so far to the right that his batshit neoconservatism is now tame by comparison.

Yo, why do Republicans keep trying to downplay slavery and shit? Like, is there literally any reason beyond, "We're sensitive snowflakes and this makes us uncomfortable"?.
    They don't want to accept that their ancestors where moral monsters and that the advantage they gained from this essentially invalidates any accomplishment they can make in their lives.