Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    Do you really think it takes more than a day to make a model? And I understand that it's a reskin, which is my point. I mentioned it has no animations tied to it to show just how rushed they were to put this out. The animations exist, they just haven't even gotten around to finishing this specific model yet.
    Yes it does take more than a day because these models tend to go through high-poly modelling, then go through iterations for the approval process by the seniors/leads, then once approved, retopoed/optimized back into the appropriate game models. Rarely anything merely takes a day of work unless we're literally talking about a palette swap, which this is far from being. This is actually not a simply reskin, it is a new model that has visual differences from the standard Gnoll model. It might look like not a lot of time and effort was spent on this, but I can look at this right now and tell you that this isn't a day worth of work, knowing the process it takes to model and texture this.

If it were really a day-or-less worth of work, there'd be no reason why they used a placeholder for Hogger at all. They would have already put it in with the rest of the Gnolls.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-08-05 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Yes it does take more than a day because these models tend to go through high-poly modelling, then go through iterations for the approval process by the seniors/leads, then once approved, retopoed/optimized back into the appropriate game models. Rarely anything merely takes a day of work unless we're literally talking about a palette swap, which this is far from being. This is actually not a simply reskin, it is a new model that has visual differences from the standard Gnoll model. It might look like not a lot of time and effort was spent on this, but I can look at this right now and tell you that this isn't a day worth of work, knowing the process it takes to model and texture this.

If it were really a day-or-less worth of work, there'd be no reason why they used a placeholder for Hogger at all. They would have already put it in with the rest of the Gnolls.
    Or...they didn't use a placeholder for hogger? It's pretty clear that hogger only got a unique model because of the whining.

Model work is a lot of work, but it can definitely be done within a day. The dude in this video remade the mechanostrider model within 6-8 hours IIRC and it was his first time using WoW's engine. The hogger model is just an edited version of the gnoll models already created, so I doubt it really took them that much time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtty...ab_channel=Tom

Or...they didn't use a placeholder for hogger? It's pretty clear that hogger only got a unique model because of the whining.

Model work is a lot of work, but it can definitely be done within a day. The dude in this video remade the mechanostrider model within 6-8 hours IIRC and it was his first time using WoW's engine. The hogger model is just an edited version of the gnoll models already created, so I doubt it really took them that much time.

you don't use the WoW engine to make models.
    He was using Blender, a popular free 3d modeling program and substance painter from Adobe. Importing them to the wow engine has little to do with the modelling process.

It took him 33h to do 2 models and 6 textures. But the main issue isn't the work. It's the approval process and iterations that has to be made during a production such as Blizzards. It being a remodel doesn't change much. It do cut down the time but you still have to go through.
    He mention in the description it took him 2 full work weeks of free-time over a couple of months. Not that I think it took that long for blizzard, but that shows it takes time if other things soak up time, like it often do in production because of hierarchy(working with some US companies it seems like hierarchy is a big issue) and things need to be approved etc etc.

Concept art (yes, you need to concept the new look)
    Iteration
    Modelling
    Iteration
    Retopo
    Iteration
    Texturing
    Iteration

Not sure if they worked on animations, but I assume they have since the model isn't 1 to 1 to previous model afaik.
    Iteration

He probably did iterations as well, but it's faster for him since he's the one giving himself feedback, waiting for feedback from another person kills a lot of time.
    Then when in a production you also have to work with the riggers and animators and sometimes they have feedback as well on the model about what can work or has to be changed for animations to work etc etc. Lots more cogs in the wheel than someone making a fan-remake on their own.

The process probably took a week or maybe 2.
    So it could definitely be a result of the whining, but Blizzard don't listen to feedback, so it probably was the plan all along. And making the base gnoll first, which is why hogger got the base gnoll at first is a process that makes it easier to make new version of gnolls.

A blizzard artist on themselves could probably bang it out in a day. I don't think anyone in any creative business likes the process that management requires, but we all have to deal with it.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-08-05 at 06:43 AM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    you don't use the WoW engine to make models.
    He was using Blender, a popular free 3d modeling program and substance painter from Adobe. Importing them to the wow engine has little to do with the modelling process.

It took him 33h to do 2 models and 6 textures. But the main issue isn't the work. It's the approval process and iterations that has to be made during a production such as Blizzards. It being a remodel doesn't change much. It do cut down the time but you still have to go through.

Concept art (yes, you need to concept the new look)
    Iteration
    Modelling
    Iteration
    Retopo
    Iteration
    Texturing
    Iteration

Not sure if they worked on animations, but I assume they have since the model isn't 1 to 1 to previous model afaik.
    Iteration

He probably did iterations as well, but it's faster for him since he's the one giving himself feedback, waiting for feedback from another person kills a lot of time.
    Then when in a production you also have to work with the riggers and animators and sometimes they have feedback as well on the model about what can work or has to be changed for animations to work etc etc. Lots more cogs in the wheel than someone making a fan-remake on their own.

The process probably took a week or maybe 2.
    So it could definitely be a result of the whining, but Blizzard don't listen to feedback, so it probably was the plan all along. And making the base gnoll first, which is why hogger got the base gnoll at first is a process that makes it easier to make new version of gnolls.

A blizzard artist on themselves could probably bang it out in a day. I don't think anyone in any creative business likes the process that management requires, but we all have to deal with it.
    Ah okay, I was a little off on the time it took the guy in the video. It's been a couple weeks since I've watched it. But yeah, you pretty much nailed what I was trying to say in my original post. A single artist can probably knock the model out in a day, but the management pipeline being what it is delays it a bit. 2 weeks after the initial shitstorm is about what I'd expect for the development. It could be much slower but I still wouldn't consider it 'surprisingly fast' as some others had been saying.

10+ Year Old Account

Model work is a lot of work, but it can definitely be done within a day.
    Uhhh... No.

For onezies, keep in mind a work day is 8 hours, not 24. Just so that's clear.

Someone absolutely flooring it through something with no oversight working through lunch might be able to bang out something in eight hours. But probably not a fully textured model. And, as Kumorii noted, oversight is absolutely a thing that goes on at Blizzard. And even if they repurposed the other gnoll model, which I'm sure they did to some degree, there's a lot of large-scale and fine-scale detail that's different.

Also, those mechanostriders, which are basically a bunch of inerpenatrating polygonal shapes are waaay easier to make, relatively speaking, than an organic creature model like Hogger. And that's not to disparage the guy's work; from a brief look at the video he did a mighty fine job. But that's just a statement of fact.

Source: I'm an actual 3D artist, working in the industry. I don't make stylized things like WoW for my work, but I know what the modeling and texturing process involves.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I'm seeing a lot of comment about hogger whereever there is talk about this new model but to me this is the model of meatball. I'm really happy that the most prominent champion of most of the mission table minigames will be in HD and with new animations, etc.

And could this be a sign, for those like me who loved it, that the Brawler's guild is making a come back?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedruid View Post
    Didn't you know? Hogger is homeless because Stormwind jacked up the cost of living.
    the cost of human skin tents was the defining factor in this result
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Yes of course the work can be done in a day's time. I've done it myself for a HOTS april fools and made my own Hogger model in a day out of my already existing custom Gnoll model.

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthe..._fools_reveal/

But working in fan content and working at a game studio where work has to go through formal systems of approval is a very different thing. There's no one formally checking over fan work and getting things to be iterated and changed; it's in full control of the artist who can interpret it at will and choose whenever to consider the model complete. That's what you're missing here.

In any professional modelling setting for a big company like Blizzard, hardly anything will just take a day, because everything goes through iterations and improvements, and we're not talking about people using the first model they finish after a solid day's worth of work even if it's really good. It still has to be approved before things even get moved forward into rigging and texturing.

That is why the assumption that the Hogger model is merely a reaction to fan demand is quite unrealistic. The model has to have been planned months in advance in order for us to actually see the final product appear now. It actually can not be applied as some knee jerk reaction that they whipped up between patches because they saw some internet dweebs talking about it. It doesn't actually make sense if you actually know what a model goes through in order to make it to the pages of WoWhead and MMO champion. There are countless hours and days and weks of work you don't see going back and forth on the details which you never knew had to be fixed or changed.

And just taking a look at this Hogger model right now, I can see the armor/clothing is modelled, the straps are not merely textures but would have had to be high-poly modelled to fit with the Rings and they would have generated textures off that high poly sculpt, the top of the mane looks longer and mangier, the scruffs on his jowls are a different pattern than on the regular gnoll, the rips on his pants are different than the pants of the gnoll, and the overall pattern of fur is different which means they may have also gone through a whole new fur treatment in the high poly sculpt. The key takeaway is that the more visual changes there are, the more likely there would have been back-and-forth iteration/approval process done before this bad boy moves on to the next steps.

With this many visual differences, the approval process would not have been as simple as a day of work. As I said, this is far from simply a mere recolor, and taking longer-than-expected is literally why there was a placeholder for him in the first place.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-08-05 at 04:19 PM.

It's pretty simple one is young one is old, not that hard to grasp. Go look at Hyena puppies vs adults and you'll see the difference.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    It's pretty simple one is young one is old, not that hard to grasp. Go look at Hyena puppies vs adults and you'll see the difference.
    They make young Gnolls already, the one in the OP is just a generic Gnoll.

All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post

But you see how their coloring this different right? Even adult sized young ones are whiteish.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post

In the next phase of WoW graphic updates, this will be the new Hogger model, just needs more spots and more "googly eyes". The look will really tie into the awesome Warcraft fantasy most middle aged men love.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    But you see how their coloring this different right? Even adult sized young ones are whiteish.
    They come in multiple Colours kids and adults.

https://www.wowhead.com/news/new-gno...acelift-327715
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Interesting.

Still doesn't change the fact. His old model is so low res you'd never notice

Maybe they should've used his HOTS model if they wanted to avoid the furry connotations.
    There are no furry connotations or whatever tf...

HE IS A FUCKING GNOLL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Yes of course the work can be done in a day's time. I've done it myself for a HOTS april fools and made my own Hogger model in a day out of my already existing custom Gnoll model.

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthe..._fools_reveal/

But working in fan content and working at a game studio where work has to go through formal systems of approval is a very different thing. There's no one formally checking over fan work and getting things to be iterated and changed; it's in full control of the artist who can interpret it at will and choose whenever to consider the model complete. That's what you're missing here.

In any professional modelling setting for a big company like Blizzard, hardly anything will just take a day, because everything goes through iterations and improvements, and we're not talking about people using the first model they finish after a solid day's worth of work even if it's really good. It still has to be approved before things even get moved forward into rigging and texturing.

That is why the assumption that the Hogger model is merely a reaction to fan demand is quite unrealistic. The model has to have been planned months in advance in order for us to actually see the final product appear now. It actually can not be applied as some knee jerk reaction that they whipped up between patches because they saw some internet dweebs talking about it. It doesn't actually make sense if you actually know what a model goes through in order to make it to the pages of WoWhead and MMO champion. There are countless hours and days and weks of work you don't see going back and forth on the details which you never knew had to be fixed or changed.

And just taking a look at this Hogger model right now, I can see the armor/clothing is modelled, the straps are not merely textures but would have had to be high-poly modelled to fit with the Rings and they would have generated textures off that high poly sculpt, the top of the mane looks longer and mangier, the scruffs on his jowls are a different pattern than on the regular gnoll, the rips on his pants are different than the pants of the gnoll, and the overall pattern of fur is different which means they may have also gone through a whole new fur treatment in the high poly sculpt. The key takeaway is that the more visual changes there are, the more likely there would have been back-and-forth iteration/approval process done before this bad boy moves on to the next steps.

With this many visual differences, the approval process would not have been as simple as a day of work. As I said, this is far from simply a mere recolor, and taking longer-than-expected is literally why there was a placeholder for him in the first place.
    You all sound like a bunch of nerds.

I seriously don't see the issue with Hoggers new model. Y'all outta pipe down fr

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicpreds View Post
    You all sound like a bunch of nerds.

I seriously don't see the issue with Hoggers new model. Y'all outta pipe down fr
    Nerds on a gaming forum? No way! Can't be possible, I wouldn't imagine it.

there's a difference between being a nerd and being a neurotic weirdo who feels the need to nitpick every detail for a fucking NPC.

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    there's a difference between being a nerd and being a neurotic weirdo who feels the need to nitpick every detail for a fucking NPC.
    Both sound like Nerds to me *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicpreds View Post
    There are no furry connotations or whatever tf...

HE IS A FUCKING GNOLL
    You are certainly underestimating the furry "culture". Believe or not, there are people who would like to diddle a werewolf out there.

Gnolls are anthropomorphic creatures ("anthros"), something that on itself calls for rule 34 furry stuff. I dare not look it up, but you can bet it's there.
    Current version is more beast-like (which would border zoophilia) while the rework makes them look more sentient and humanoid-like (i.e: fair game) which goes dangerously into furry territory. Then there's also the "scaleys" which are like furries but fantasizing with reptilian stuff rather than mammals. Dracthyr design certainly leans towards those. Again, without looking it up, I'm certain that by now there's a sizeable amount of images of fun with crossdressing dragons.

I don't know who is in charge of character art but the Dragonflight models seem to be intentionally made for -and by- people with this sort of taste.
    Last edited by Zardi; 2022-08-05 at 06:30 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Do you really think it takes more than a day to make a model? And I understand that it's a reskin, which is my point. I mentioned it has no animations tied to it to show just how rushed they were to put this out. The animations exist, they just haven't even gotten around to finishing this specific model yet.
    1- Yes it does take more then a day
    2- it is not a reskin.

it does have animations tied to it, again, just we cannot view them because they are not activated, it uses the same animations as the regular gnolls do. the model is finished.

- - - Updated - - -

"within 6-8 hours"
    "this took 2 work weeks"
    mhm.

also out of any model, the mechanostrider is one of the easiest to make, as it is literally nothing but basic shapes, and any jagged edges or scuff is charaecteristic
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    This is a thread about a specific WoW model, and talk of models in general - it is not a thread about California, real-world politics, furries, or whatever else the controversy du jour is. Let's return to the actual thread topic.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead