Thread: [Movie] Prey

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    A guilty pleasure movie for me but overall just decent. A one watch movie. A dumbed down predator to prop up the heroine who just can't pull off the role nor has any plausibility unlike the characters in Aliens or Terminator. Add in a bit of poor writing with far to much writing for "convenience" for Naru and it all goes down hill. Magic plants, predator that doesn't understand his own gear. Poor fight scenes where the predator kills some really badly written French with little problem but then forgets how to fight as he throws around the heroine. Simply not killing her like the did the others. I guess the movie makers just hate the French.

In the end it just wasn't all that good. Better then the last one though I'll give it that much.
    If you go back through all the predator movies. Predator is actually incapable of killing humans with vaginas.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I think a good follow up movie is where the Predator comes out on top. In particular the one predator that tossed Danny Glover's character a flintlock.
    I wouldn't mind seeing a setting in the future where humans are perhaps enhanced and have better technology. Something where the Predator wins simply from being the superior...predator for once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, going to go back on what I said in my review and rank this behind Predator 2. There's just something about a Predator in the city facing off against a Danny Glover who's over its shit...
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Decent movie, not the worst in the franchise.
    But dont even comes close to the 1e and 2e like some want you to beleave.

Also YES its woke, just shut your brain off and keep cheering for the predator and you will be fine till the last 20 min then you really get annoyed but heck most movies do that woke feminist crap in the whole movie and put it into your face atleast now it was most of the time in the background. And ofc the white males in this movie are retarts and do the most wierd things without any reason... But i guess that is like a thing in the US right now to bash and be racist toward white males.
    Was a decent time i had with it, will i ever watch it again? nope dont think i will and a sequel heck no when you see the last scene you know what i mean with it.
    What weird things do the buffalo hunters do? They were of course a cruel but all there actions made sense for there hunting.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    What weird things do the buffalo hunters do? They were of course a cruel but all there actions made sense for there hunting.
    They weren't gentlemen who offered a baguette to a stranger in need.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was okay. I also thought Predators (2010) was good and The Predator (2018) was not.

This one was kind of a refreshing take on the franchise; seeing how humanity through different ages (and different eras of technology and general understanding of the world around them for that time) has dealt with Yaujta and their superior technology.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    They weren't gentlemen who offered a baguette to a stranger in need.
    That’s very true not even the “nice” one did.

All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    It's really not.

As for the CGI - a lot of trailers aren't released with the full post-production effects in place. It's stupid to judge/assume CG quality based only on a trailer.
    Well it's misrepresentation to infuse modern gender politics, because many if not most Native American tribes weren't misogynistic like they were portrayed in this movie. Native Americans had female warriors...and women were often in charge of many things.

Native Americans have already gone through enough shit from white people without them being portrayed as sexist.
    Last edited by Kithelle; 2022-08-07 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    Well it's misrepresentation to infuse modern gender politics, because many if not most Native American tribes weren't misogynistic like they were portrayed in this movie. Native Americans had female warriors...and women were often in charge of many things.

Native Americans have already gone through enough shit from white people without them being portrayed as sexist.
    Hollywood has shown that they have a really hard time writing movies with female protagonists that doesn't revolve around men being big bad meanie faces.

The Comanche were not misogynistic toward Naru. They just thought she was a better healer than a hunter, as she often failed hunting. The movie shows her failing a lot before the end too.

They had no ill will because Naru was a woman. They didn't think she was very good, and she wasn't.

The movie was made with the help and approval of Commanche by the way.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-08-07 at 07:45 PM.

I enjoyed the movie. It does seem weird that Naru claims she's a badass warrior but then runs away from every fight and then suddenly at the end she just slaughters like 5 people without breaking a sweat. I get that she ran because she was outmatched and we do get some training montages of her doing well with the axe, I just wish they would have eased into that end scene a bit more during the movie.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Native Americans definitely had gender roles though they just weren't as extreme as the European settlers they encountered. Indigenous women generally did not hunt or go war in most tribes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of these comments man, cringeworthy in the name of owning the libs. You can tell who hasn't watched horror movies, and who’s paid attention to Predator movies.

It was a decent movie to watch. I enjoyed it all the way through.

Thats the same flintlock from P2. I wondered how they got it back to give to Glover at the end until the little animated ending where it showed multiple predator ships show up. So apparently they rest of them showed up and took it back.

I liked the movie, the dog didn't die! thankfully it was basically a navy seal. toward the end the girl who was maybe 60 pound manage to trip up the predator like he weighed nothing but apart from that it wasn't that bad.

that pistol apparently comes from a short story involving a pirate and a predator, I think they team up but eventually the guy dies and gives the predator his flintlock, it pops up at the end of the sega genesis version of predator 2, which I think I did play before I saw the movie. https://www.avpgalaxy.net/predator-m...ntlock-pistol/ there is an article that speaks about it. I think originally it was just meant to reference the fact that they had been coming to earth for awhile. just a 'oh this has been going on for a while'.

very sceptical of a predator movie involving primitive tribals when we know predators are more technologically advanced than modern humanity. its almost sheer luck that they would be able to defeat something like that. not to mention the predators themselves have a really poor sense of self preservation. its kinda amazing they haven't gone extinct.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2022-08-08 at 12:11 PM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    It was a decent movie to watch. I enjoyed it all the way through.

Thats the same flintlock from P2. I wondered how they got it back to give to Glover at the end until the little animated ending where it showed multiple predator ships show up. So apparently they rest of them showed up and took it back.
    they probably came for the head & body, just like the other predators in P2 came for the body of the predator. Given what we saw happen in Predator 2 it is unlikely that they would've straight up killed Naru and the rest of the camp unless they attacked first, in which case... yeah they would've fought back.

I thought it was all right but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the original Predator. I thought the ending was ruined by the predator - which had taken on and beaten a bear in hand to hand combat and easily beaten an armed group of men - having its arse kicked by a small woman (Dutch had to use cunning and guile to overcome the Predator and still only just made it out alive whereas Naru is not only able to go toe to toe with it but walks back to her settlement smeared in its blood with its head in her hand) and the bit with the helmet was a bit too much Deus Ex Machina for my liking.

And what happened to the plasma cannon? I know Predators like to face a challenging hunt and will therefore use appropriate weapons but this Predator had a cloak, blades that can slice through flesh and bone with ease, and guided projectiles against bows and arrows and primitive guns.

Also I thought the pistol was a cheap tie in to Predator 2 that made no sense and is no doubt why the Predator ships appearing above the settlement in the animation at the end was added.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I thought it was all right but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the original Predator. I thought the ending was ruined by the predator - which had taken on and beaten a bear in hand to hand combat and easily beaten an armed group of men - having its arse kicked by a small woman (Dutch had to use cunning and guile to overcome the Predator and still only just made it out alive whereas Naru is not only able to go toe to toe with it but walks back to her settlement smeared in its blood with its head in her hand) and the bit with the helmet was a bit too much Deus Ex Machina for my liking.

And what happened to the plasma cannon? I know Predators like to face a challenging hunt and will therefore use appropriate weapons but this Predator had a cloak, blades that can slice through flesh and bone with ease, and guided projectiles against bows and arrows and primitive guns.

Also I thought the pistol was a cheap tie in to Predator 2 that made no sense and is no doubt why the Predator ships appearing above the settlement in the animation at the end was added.
    maybe the Predators themselves evolved technologically between 1719 and 1987 (or whenever the first movie was set). or maybe they were monitoring the planet and only gave the Predator the tools needed to succeed - their goal is to hunt, not kill so using stuff that is way above the current technology capabilities is considered cheating?

as for how the small woman beat the Predator, gotta remember it had been rather injured by that point, as opposed to being completely uninjured when fighting the bear. I mean if we're going to be realistic then neither protagonists from the first 2 Predator films should've stood a chance against their foes. but they did, because since when does the protagonist of an action movie die before the end (other than some fairly niche cases)

Is it good by itself, or "good in comparison with the shitshows we've had recently" ?

I'm a big fan of Predators but I don't want to watch another travesty.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Is it good by itself, or "good in comparison with the shitshows we've had recently" ?

I'm a big fan of Predators but I don't want to watch another travesty.
    As a stand alone movie it’s good, in the franchise as a whole, it’s on par with or better the the 2nd depending on rather you liked the city setting or not.

Compared to the last movie, it’s a master piece.