10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Ukraine has sucked in a lot of Russians, so much so that Ukraine have been making gains around Izyum were the Russian troops have come from. Kherson may be a giant trap that Russia walked into willingly - or it could be a massive ruse on Ukraine's part to deceive Russia from where they are actually going to attack.
    I really wouldn't put it beyond the Ukrainians, by spreading the russians thin they would have an easier time. I still think Kherson is the primary objective but I can see Izyum being a secondary objective as that would relieve the northern flank of the Donetsk defenders.

Meanwhile there's more reports of partisan activity coming in as well, as well as the usual speculations on putin's health (recently he was shown to be unable to use his right arm), russians defecting, deserting and refusing to fight. Most is probably wishful thinking but not all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    It seems very clear to me that russia wants to hold on to Kherson, and is willing to risk a lot for that. Including, apparently, risking the Donbas campaign as they're pulling units from there to reinforce the Kherson region. I'm not sure if that's the best plan.

The dam at Nova Kharkova can't be destroyed as that's a war crime if I'm correctly informed, however there is a small canal next to it to allow ships to pass it, there is a bridge there that could be destroyed, it is very close to the hydroelectric power plant though.

As for the F-16, I read yesterday that training wouldn't begin before 2023 or, at the earliest, late 2022, as the funds wouldn't be made available before then and they still needed to decide which planes the Ukrainians would be trained on.
    Isn't Kherson one of the few, if not the only major city Russia has captured since Putler started this war? Ukraine retaking Kherson would be a humiliating blow to Putler to lose the one big 'prize' he has. Furthermore, Kherson is key to controlling the water flow into Crimea, so if Ukraine retakes the city you know they are going to shut off the water to Crimea. Retaking Kherson also would put Ukraine in a position to start striking targets in Crimea and, if the frontline moves forward enough, Ukraine could theoretically start hitting Sevastopol and that would force Russia to pull the Black Sea Fleet out to keep the whole fleet from being sunk by HIMARS/cruise missiles.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    Isn't Kherson one of the few, if not the only major city Russia has captured since Putler started this war? Ukraine retaking Kherson would be a humiliating blow to Putler to lose the one big 'prize' he has. Furthermore, Kherson is key to controlling the water flow into Crimea, so if Ukraine retakes the city you know they are going to shut off the water to Crimea. Retaking Kherson also would put Ukraine in a position to start striking targets in Crimea and, if the frontline moves forward enough, Ukraine could theoretically start hitting Sevastopol and that would force Russia to pull the Black Sea Fleet out to keep the whole fleet from being sunk by HIMARS/cruise missiles.
    Pretty much, yes, though I suspect that the US will nix any notion of hitting Crimea with HIMARS munitions. As justified as we think it is for Ukraine to liberate Crimea it's just not worth it to risk an unpredictable response by russia. That's also the reason why Ukraine, by mouth of Zelenskyy, has demanded the return to the pre February 24th situation. Which leaves Crimea occupied and the Donbas region in Ukrainian hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what's going on here.
    Some fashies created an uber-dorky think tank and that was the opening ceremony.

Though the world might be better off if bored rich kids stayed in wierd think tanks instead of flooding NGO's.

Amnesty is now complaining that Ukraine is building Nuclear Power plants to close to Russians explosives'.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Russia never had their dicks totally stomped on once by a majority of the powers in the world, much less twice in a short period of time. They never had their "Let's make cars" moment.
    They literally got written off as "saviors of Europe" by anyone that wasn't there after WWII. Not many could tell the tale of how "good" the Russian Army was in the west. And apprently it was easier to call them "friends" then to remind people that they were Hitlers ally before he, in his delusion, attacked them. They acted like savages, joining a delusional maniac to burn and pillage their neighbours, and got congratulated for it.

Let's just hope history won't repeat itself, like it tends to do pretty much 100% of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, what to make of this?

Ok, I'm not sure I believe it, and if it is true what would the fall out be?

I have zero reasons not to believe it.

If they do blow up a nuclear powerplant on purpose, millions will die in the following decades.

An act of war against NATO for starters probably.
    Because you know, the entire continent being directly effected.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    An act of war against NATO for starters probably.
    Because you know, the entire continent being directly effected.
    Wouldn't that depend on the exact explosion? I mean Chornobyl was, from what I understand, still a relative edge case due a lot of things going wrong at the same time.

Wouldn't that depend on the exact explosion? I mean Chornobyl was, from what I understand, still a relative edge case due a lot of things going wrong at the same time.
    It would. An explosion doesn't automatically mean a meltdown, but it's obviously still never a good thing. Of course, it wouldn't be good for the Russians either, and especially not good for the regions of Ukraine Russia claims to be "liberating".

Yeah but that is 'what are the odds it goes boom without actively trying to make it go boom'. If you actively try to blow it up its still going to be just as bad.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    It would. An explosion doesn't automatically mean a meltdown, but it's obviously still never a good thing. Of course, it wouldn't be good for the Russians either, and especially not good for the regions of Ukraine Russia claims to be "liberating".
    They said it themselves: scorched earth. If Russians can't have it, then nobody can and they are willing to use nuclear fire for that purpose.

We immediately need to deploy more thoughts and prayers to counter this new threat.

I don't doubt Russia would do it, but it proves they just don't think as contamination from it would reach Russia and contaminate the water supply leading to Crimea.

- - - Updated - - -

The US just lobbed another billion dollars of military aid to Ukraine, including more ammo for the HIMARS, 75,000 155mm rounds, 20,000 120mm mortar rounds and mortars, ammo for the NASAMS system (a ground based launcher that fires AMRAAMS and Sidewinder air to air missiles), claymore mines, C4 explosives and more.

They also confirmed that anti-radiation missiles that could be used by Ukrainian aircraft, without specifying what missiles or what aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I don't doubt Russia would do it, but it proves they just don't think as contamination from it would reach Russia and contaminate the water supply leading to Crimea.

- - - Updated - - -

The US just lobbed another billion dollars of military aid to Ukraine, including more ammo for the HIMARS, 75,000 155mm rounds, 20,000 120mm mortar rounds and mortars, ammo for the NASAMS system (a ground based launcher that fires AMRAAMS and Sidewinder air to air missiles), claymore mines, C4 explosives and more.

They also confirmed that anti-radiation missiles that could be used by Ukrainian aircraft, without specifying what missiles or what aircraft.
    People who whine about "why do we give so much money to Ukraine but can't pay for xyz domestic problem" don't seem to realize how small 9 billion dollars (so far) is in the grand scheme of things. Especially with what you get from it, and what the alternative is. Yet, 2 trillion for a useless war in a country that didn't even want democracy or help (apparently) is ok?

In Sweden, we're very happy to help them. Not just morally correct, but we have a lot of stuff in storage that would just waste away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Russia starts stripping jetliners for parts as sanctions bite

Russian airlines, including state-controlled Aeroflot, are stripping jetliners to secure spare parts they can no longer buy abroad because of Western sanctions, four industry sources told Reuters.

The steps are in line with advice Russia's government provided in June for airlines to use some aircraft for parts to ensure the remainder of foreign-built planes can continue flying at least through 2025.

Sanctions imposed on Russia after it sent its troops into Ukraine in late February have prevented its airlines from obtaining spare parts or undergoing maintenance in the West.

Aviation experts have said that Russian airlines would be likely to start taking parts from their planes to keep them airworthy, but these are the first detailed examples.

At least one Russian-made Sukhoi Superjet 100 and an Airbus A350, both operated by Aeroflot, are currently grounded and being disassembled, one source familiar with the matter said.

The source declined to be identified due to the sensitivity of the issue.

The Airbus A350 is almost brand new, the source said.

Most of Russia's fleet of aircraft consists of Western passenger jets.

Equipment was being taken from a couple of Aeroflot's Boeing 737s and Airbus A320s, as the carrier needs more spare parts from those models for its other Boeing 737s and Airbus A320s, the source said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not flying with Aeroflot anytime soon then, or ever really. This also feels like going back 30-40 years.

Didn't China also say they'd not help russia with this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't China also say they'd not help russia with this?
    Russia says China refuses to supply aircraft parts after sanctions

March 10.

So, yes.

There was talk of Iran being willing to help out at one point.