Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I think they will want to at the very least plant hooks for a sequel so they might introduce a "next big bad" just for the sake of it.
    Fzoul maybe.
    But no Manshoon since he should be tied with Elminster, and the narrative would be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    And Cambions are humans+fiends too, but i meant something that is minimal, not something so over the top, most, if not all examples you gave are too much on the monster side(like cambions) and not too much on the mortal side (tiefling), a tanarukk and feyri,are too much monster to be playable.

Taking account how aasimar and genasi work, i think its only logic to make tieflings as another example of planetouched(any mortal race could ahve some sort of devilish/fiend heritage) and not just human+fiends

On that not, i don't think its canon that tieflings can be from demons or yugoloths, just devils and generic fiends, i do know canon means nothing and we can make what we want, but i would like some official tools for it, sadly the abyssal tiefling sub was axed
    Cambions are first generation devil descendants so either their mother or father is a devil. All the ones I mentioned, just like Tieflings, simply have an addition of fiendish bloodline somewhere down their family tree. Also, compared to an average portrayal of a 5E tiefling, Wisplings, Maeluths and Durzagons look like their parent race with a skin condition. And Fey'ri look like skinnier Tieflings with wings (and even then some Tieflings can also have wings), while being able to actually change their appearance at will, unlike Tieflings. Besides, there are plenty of completely monstrous races already playable and not so long ago WotC even toyed with the idea of a playable ooze.

And yes, as far as 5E is concerned, Tieflings are devil-related only. At least according to Mike Mearls. The Xanathar table on Tiefling ancestry also mentions only devils. There was an UA for demonic Tiefling variant, but that stayed in the UA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady 87 View Post
    I'm not sure what that pointing out those articles is supposed to infer.

Those meetings took place between wizards from different worlds and took place on modern-day Earth (the very first article had them eating popcorn and drinking Coke in a pub with a Time magazine on the table next to them). It was just a series of fun fluff articles for Dragon magazine where Greenwood added some new spells, items, monsters, and the like for DMs interested in adding some new stuff to their games.
    Mordekainen also made a cameo in Waterdeep in Death Masks novel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Is Blackstaff still relevant? I haven't read any Forgotten Realms books since the early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    Is Blackstaff still relevant? I haven't read any Forgotten Realms books since the early 90s.
    Yes and no. "It's complicated."

Honestly, given the nature of the movie, I'd expect to see figures more like (a) Xanathar or any number of thieves guilds like the Night Masks, Shadow Thieves of Amn, or the Black Daggers. Maybe even the Cult of the Dragon.

A lot of it will depend on what point in the timeline the movie is taking place, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Indeed, you just take a level adjustment to play a Monster Race as a playable character.
    Uh, yeah, that's 3e. There was no level adjustments or any of that other nonsense in 2e. Tieflings were just another racial option.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It turned into an argument about a human with dragon ancestry that became a druid.

...wat?
    So standard dnd then :P

I'm thinking with this first movie they will try to keep the lore tightly around the characters and places as much as possible. They might spin out a little bit just to leave hooks in for either a direct sequel (same party) or some other kind of continuation (new party/setting/time). Build it up in a similar way to how the MCU started with Iron Man laying the ground work for The Avengers. Hopefully they have some kind of Feige-esque architect working behind the scenes to build the connections.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Cambions are first generation devil descendants so either their mother or father is a devil.
    Same as Tanarukk too, first generation, what i meantt is something tiefling-ish but for other races like aasimar and genasi.

Like, you can have a gnome, a dwarf, an orc or a human with celestial and genie/elemental heritage, then why not fiendish heritage? why just human? thats what i meant, i do believe they will change that in 5.5e down the road.

then it only makes to ahve then All the ones I mentioned, just like Tieflings, simply have an addition of fiendish bloodline somewhere down their family tree. Also, compared to an average portrayal of a 5E tiefling, Wisplings, Maeluths and Durzagons look like their parent race with a skin condition. And Fey'ri look like skinnier Tieflings with wings (and even then some Tieflings can also have wings), while being able to actually change their appearance at will, unlike Tieflings. Besides, there are plenty of completely monstrous races already playable and not so long ago WotC even toyed with the idea of a playable ooze.
    I think its easier just do the aasimar treatment with tiefling, planetouched races, celestial and fiendish heritage. And the ooze race is going to be a thing in spelljammer, people confirmed

Nevermind that they were playable since day one. They weren't a standard, core race, but they were absolutely an option in the Planescape campaign or any other campaign if a DM allowed it.

I have no idea where he got the notion they weren't playable until 3e.
    Really doesn't matter when ultimately. Tielfing players are the same as people playing Finland in WW2 wargaming. They just want to play an evil character but aren't evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Really doesn't matter when ultimately. Tielfing players are the same as people playing Finland in WW2 wargaming. They just want to play an evil character but aren't evil.
    If you say so. But congratulations on being awarded the title of "person who speaks for all people," even if every breath of it is coming out of your nether regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Same as Tanarukk too, first generation, what i meantt is something tiefling-ish but for other races like aasimar and genasi.

Like, you can have a gnome, a dwarf, an orc or a human with celestial and genie/elemental heritage, then why not fiendish heritage? why just human? thats what i meant, i do believe they will change that in 5.5e down the road.
    I think it's mostly just a mechanical issue...because it creates issues regarding racial traits and stat blocks.

There's plenty of games with house rules for that kind of thing though. DM's guild, while not being 100% official 5e product, has different resources regarding non-human "tieflings" that DM's can choose to use in their home games.

Pathfinder also specifically addresses "non-human" tieflings and, while pathfinder is a competing product in the marketplace, the rules they have could easily be adapted to 5e.

In game terms, the difference between non-human tieflings and human tieflings is purely a matter of size. Unless they have specific tiefling-related size modifiers, the tieflings of each of these races are the same size as their non-fiendish ancestors. They gain any of the bonuses or penalties related to that size, but gain no racial bonuses except those of the tiefling; beyond size, their humanoid ancestry is purely cosmetic.
    So, while it's not entirely official, it's easy enough to put non-human tieflings into a 5E game.

- - - Updated - - -

Only a sith deals in absolutes.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

You speak like someone who would kill Paarthurnax.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    I never did bring myself to kill one of the two characters in all of Skyrim that 1) actually had a personality and 2) wasn't incredibly annoying because of it.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    I think it's mostly just a mechanical issue...because it creates issues regarding racial traits and stat blocks.
    it is a mechanic and lore issue, but it does not create issues about racial traits, genasi and aasimar are proof of that, can be from any race, same racials, thi should be a thing for tiefling as well.

There's plenty of games with house rules for that kind of thing though. DM's guild, while not being 100% official 5e product, has different resources regarding non-human "tieflings" that DM's can choose to use in their home games.

Pathfinder also specifically addresses "non-human" tieflings and, while pathfinder is a competing product in the marketplace, the rules they have could easily be adapted to 5e.
    i already do that in my homegames, its just much better overall to have official support, solve a lot of issues with other tables

my main and fave DnD character is tiefling cleric (originally created in Neverwinter online before critical role and Jester existed, before I get accused of bandwaggoning) last I checked Tieflings do not have an assigned inescapable alignment, all it is is that someone in their family line made a deal with a demon, and so now every descendant is beholden to that demon. but it has absolutely no impact of what they are like as a person.

so... /shrug

If you say so. But congratulations on being awarded the title of "person who speaks for all people," even if every breath of it is coming out of your nether regions.
    Thanks! Nice to know you hold me in such high regard!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Depends on the character I am playing at the time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Only a sith deals in absolutes.
    So do the Jedi but whose counting?

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    While not being so much in the D&D genre (my only connection was computer games some 25-30 years ago), i am sincerely excited to watch this.

Nice ensemble cast, goofy characters, fantasy, magic... what more can a guy wish?

I'm sure most of the Easter eggs will elude me, but, nonetheless, it seems that i will totally enjoy this. Hope they do deliver on what is shown.
    /spit@Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    While not being so much in the D&D genre (my only connection was computer games some 25-30 years ago), i am sincerely excited to watch this.

Nice ensemble cast, goofy characters, fantasy, magic... what more can a guy wish?

I'm sure most of the Easter eggs will elude me, but, nonetheless, it seems that i will totally enjoy this. Hope they do deliver on what is shown.
    Yeah, I'm a huge D&D dork, been playing since the late '80s, and while you might not "get" that something is a reference to a classic D&D thing, you don't need to. The chest that is a monster is a classic mimic; D&D's largely where that comes from though it's bled into all kinds of other media by now. The black dragon breathing acid rather than fire is super cool but doesn't need explanation after you see it. The owlbear, what do you need to know? It's a creature that's part owl and part bear; it's in the name. Even stuff that has a ton of backlore like the Red Wizards; if you get "RED WIZARD = BAD GUY" the rest is basically just flavor text and you won't need to know it.

One of the big strengths of D&D is that it's always held the door open for new players, to whom all of this is new. And player characters in the game often don't know the deep arcane lore in the setting; they'd know about as much about Trolls as you do; they've heard tales, never seen one, kind of thing. So while D&D fans will be all "awesome, that's an owlbear", people new to the property will just be "what the hell is that? An owlbear? Awesome." There's not much more to "get" there, not that won't be readily apparent in the first few seconds at least.

Bad poster. Not thinking this will land very well.

March release date too. Rough.

Not on my radar but I'll probably still watch this out of sheer curiousity.