Thread: [Movie] Prey

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    they probably came for the head & body, just like the other predators in P2 came for the body of the predator. Given what we saw happen in Predator 2 it is unlikely that they would've straight up killed Naru and the rest of the camp unless they attacked first, in which case... yeah they would've fought back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    that pistol apparently comes from a short story involving a pirate and a predator, I think they team up but eventually the guy dies and gives the predator his flintlock, it pops up at the end of the sega genesis version of predator 2, which I think I did play before I saw the movie. https://www.avpgalaxy.net/predator-m...ntlock-pistol/ there is an article that speaks about it. I think originally it was just meant to reference the fact that they had been coming to earth for awhile. just a 'oh this has been going on for a while'.
    That comic was set a year or two before this movie.

but it IS the same flint lock. So at some point they got it back to give to Danny Glover.

So at some point the Predators got it back

I liked the movie, the dog didn't die! thankfully it was basically a navy seal. toward the end the girl who was maybe 60 pound manage to trip up the predator like he weighed nothing but apart from that it wasn't that bad.

that pistol apparently comes from a short story involving a pirate and a predator, I think they team up but eventually the guy dies and gives the predator his flintlock, it pops up at the end of the sega genesis version of predator 2, which I think I did play before I saw the movie. https://www.avpgalaxy.net/predator-m...ntlock-pistol/ there is an article that speaks about it. I think originally it was just meant to reference the fact that they had been coming to earth for awhile. just a 'oh this has been going on for a while'.

very sceptical of a predator movie involving primitive tribals when we know predators are more technologically advanced than modern humanity. its almost sheer luck that they would be able to defeat something like that. not to mention the predators themselves have a really poor sense of self preservation. its kinda amazing they haven't gone extinct.
    Thats not the point of their interactions though, this is sport hunting to them. They arent trying to invade or simply kill us off. An equivalent example would be humans hunting game with bows or knives (yes, some actually do). Sure they could go in there blasting away with guns, but they prefer a challenge and enjoy the thrill of the hunt. The predators take it another step further and involve melee combat against equal or greater strength foes.

it almost feels similar to Norse mythology with the predators like they have their own Valhalla and dying in battle is the only way to get there. you just don't see them actually retreat and live to fight another day, they just go balls to the wall until they either win or die. its like the quintessential death wish.

I know a lot of the lore is built up around these hunts being trials and rites of passage. how their hierarchy works.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2022-08-09 at 06:50 AM.

very sceptical of a predator movie involving primitive tribals when we know predators are more technologically advanced than modern humanity. its almost sheer luck that they would be able to defeat something like that. not to mention the predators themselves have a really poor sense of self preservation. its kinda amazing they haven't gone extinct.
    Look at the first movie. the advanced weapons of Arnie and crew did next to nothing, and it wasn't until he started using sticks, stones, and Ewok Guerrilla warfare he had a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    maybe the Predators themselves evolved technologically between 1719 and 1987 (or whenever the first movie was set). or maybe they were monitoring the planet and only gave the Predator the tools needed to succeed - their goal is to hunt, not kill so using stuff that is way above the current technology capabilities is considered cheating?
    Yeah. maybe their society is very concerned about the ethical hunting. Maybe even promoting catch and release!

Quote Originally Posted by The Offbeat View Post
    Look at the first movie. the advanced weapons of Arnie and crew did next to nothing, and it wasn't until he started using sticks, stones, and Ewok Guerrilla warfare he had a chance.
    If an arrow would have worked, he would have shot it with an arrow. He didn't.

Arnie filled an arrow with about 3 grenades worth of gunpowder to simply wound the predator. Similar to the backpack with with high explosive material to further wound and destroy it's cloaking device. Saying advanced weapons did next to nothing is a bit disingenuous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    If you go back through all the predator movies. Predator is actually incapable of killing humans with vaginas.
    Stupid vagina kryptonite. Who knew!

Good start, okay mid, ending feel apart for me, would have liked them leaning into her surviving the predator instead of "hunting" it, like make her use just a disgusting amount of traps/tricks to bring it down instead of her engaging it in close combat, make her kill it through harassing/dirty fighting. Middle of the pack for the predator movies, but the best one in a while (though to be fair that isn't saying much, the recent ones of have been utter garbage).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

If you go back through all the predator movies. Predator is actually incapable of killing humans with vaginas.
    Dammit, read it has predator were using vaginas and thought it was a reference to their mouth before I read it correctly.

The movie was enjoyable. Thought the predators strength fluctuating were a bit typical.
    Biggest issue for me was the ending, or rather how she won. The setup she used is a bit too much of a stretch for me.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-08-09 at 06:31 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    not quite. definitely killed a woman or two on the train in Predator 2, and would've killed the female detective had she not been pregnant. haven't really watched the AvP movies or the other Predators since then but yeah

Quote Originally Posted by The Offbeat View Post
    Lol. That was obviously a more advanced predator, with more advanced weapons and defenses (+200 or so years must matter to their advancement too). And you forgot to mention the most important part of why Arnie won when switching to Ewok warfare, the predator couldn't see him anymore -funny how well that works for the predators as well.

Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    That comic was set a year or two before this movie.

but it IS the same flint lock. So at some point they got it back to give to Danny Glover.

So at some point the Predators got it back
    An Easter Egg they didn't really think through. Do the Predators best bud's return and wipe out the tribe to reclaim the trophy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't it lore that the Predators took their technology from another alien species? They were once slaves and revolted, the tech they use was invented by the the slavers. As a species they understand and can replicate the tech but their culture is not naturally inventive so they still rely a lot on their physical abilities.

Like the protagonist is small and weak so to hunt/survive she relies indirect approaches vs say her brother who used his physical attributes more. Predators appreciate getting physical more than being cunning. They all have their own personalities as well. Maybe it's like humans will still get clapped by xyz animal even though we have enough tech as a species to kll the planet 3 times in a matter of hours. Predator goes on a hunt, challenges themselves to only use certain tools/tactics, gets clipped by some over evolved furless apes.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    An Easter Egg they didn't really think through. Do the Predators best bud's return and wipe out the tribe to reclaim the trophy?
    They likely come take the tech and then come back for later hunts down the line getting it back at some point without just wiping out the tribe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Isn't it lore that the Predators took their technology from another alien species? They were once slaves and revolted, the tech they use was invented by the the slavers. As a species they understand and can replicate the tech but their culture is not naturally inventive so they still rely a lot on their physical abilities.
    While there may be other lore the rage war trilogy acts paints it as they make there own stuff and have been space faring since the precursor race left the galaxy. I don’t think they ever touch on enslavement but they do say that the predators were nothing to them and feared them.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

I thought it was great! Easily the best Predator movie since the first one and for me the first sequel I wouldn't hesitate to call great. I still enjoy a few of the other ones but this was easily better than those IMO.

I liked the part where the Predator absolutely demolished a bear but somehow discount pocahontas was able to give the Predator a run for his money

7+ Year Old Account
    Like most people said, good start but it feel apart, a lot of things were off and the protagonist was kinda a bitch to her brother, nowhere close to the first and second and i prefer alien vs predator.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    I liked the part where the Predator absolutely demolished a bear but somehow discount pocahontas was able to give the Predator a run for his money
    TBF, this is a big issue in most movies that deal with the superhuman or the supernatural, power lv is always messed up and all over the place to fit the plot, here, and other examples is more blatantly because the people involved make it more visible.

In this case a small and frail person going toe to toe with an alien who can pick up a bear, it feels way too forced

15+ Year Old Account
    If it can demolish a bear, it could demolish Arnold and could sure as hell demolish Danny Glover. A bear is like 1300 pounds. You think 50-60 pounds of muscle is gonna make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    If it can demolish a bear, it could demolish Arnold and could sure as hell demolish Danny Glover. A bear is like 1300 pounds. You think 50-60 pounds of muscle is gonna make a difference?
    That'd be true only if the characters portrayed by Glover and Arnold turned off their brains and fought as a 600-800lbs bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    They likely come take the tech and then come back for later hunts down the line getting it back at some point without just wiping out the tribe.

- - - Updated - - -

While there may be other lore the rage war trilogy acts paints it as they make there own stuff and have been space faring since the precursor race left the galaxy. I don’t think they ever touch on enslavement but they do say that the predators were nothing to them and feared them.
    Predators also revealed that they improve their tech, tactics, etc each season.

- - - Updated - - -

That predator in Prey received a lot of damage. The scene with the mountain lion is parallel between the brother and sister: the sister wounded the lion with the lance, and the brother ended the job. The brother wounded the predator with the lance, the sister finished the kill.

I thought what was great about the main character (aside from a few scenes where you have to suspend your disbelief) is that what made her unique and interesting was that she was more of an observer and she adapted to the situations. She was quick to pick up on the 'rules' of the Predator, it's weaknesses and so on. Like the whole point of the first movie was that it doesn't matter if you're jacked Arnold Schwarzenegger with a crew of equally buff dudes, you wont out-muscle the Predator. It was only when Arnold found the cheat code with the mud that he started thinking and planning and the tactics is what saved the day. This girl was more like that from the beginning and that was kinda cool.

But also they were smart enough to set up certain things throughout the movie to where the Predator didn't even necessarily take her serious as a threat until the end which also helped her stay alive.