View Poll Results: Is this a good idea or bad idea?

Voters
31. This poll is closed
  • This is the best idea since the spork

3 9.68%
  • This is the worst idea since Diablo Immortal

17 54.84%
  • Nothing will ever be worse than Diablo Immortal

11 35.48%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I wouldn't mind it, I like flipping the roles and there's no reason why you can't win these fights, since heroes are just NPC's like raids already are.

I think it would be hard to implement into WoW though except for scenarios like Illidans memories... but those are bit more scenic rather than gameplay rich.
    So I like these ideas, I just don't see how it can fit into WoW. Why would our character suddenly become a raid target? If we make new characters for this, why would we suddenly play like them, etc etc...

I think in the end it would play like the mage tower challenges actually now that I think of it.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Its very simple.

We play as the antagonists and the point is to defeat a group of powerful "heroes" who are trying to murder us just to steal our gear, gold and mounts we have collected.

We will be OP as hell but, still defeatable. Our spells will have CD's and it'll all work the same.

Thoughts?
    I love the idea, make it like horrific visions style alternate timeline challenges.

I am still forced to doubt between the spork and that badness of diablo immortal.

Edit: Isn't this basically what Torghast was already? Except differently flavored?

"Bunch of goons get slaughtered while trying to their iwn slaughtering jobs by increasingly absurdly overpowered player character."

Not saying that like it's a bad thing, just bad to force us to do it so often with such monotony and mandatory yet disappointing rewards. Just regular gear rewards would do.
    Last edited by loras; 2022-08-11 at 09:33 AM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Faction Champions was fucking boring, so no.
    I am pretty sure I have the very unpopular opinions of enjoying Factions Champions lol. Just pure utter chaos :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I am pretty sure I have the very unpopular opinions of enjoying Factions Champions lol. Just pure utter chaos :P
    It was in a disorganized group but if you had a group of people who knew what to do it was pretty easy to trivialize the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Its very simple.

We play as the antagonists and the point is to defeat a group of powerful "heroes" who are trying to murder us just to steal our gear, gold and mounts we have collected.

We will be OP as hell but, still defeatable. Our spells will have CD's and it'll all work the same.

Thoughts?
    I actually also thought of this idea(not to hijack)

How about that we became towers in a tower defense game(on the mobile platform).

Let's just rip apart the idenity of WoW while we are at it - we are after all suggesting stuff - just for the sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    so you disguised your thread to shit on diablo immortal, weird and immature
    Eh? I guess if you consider the game redeemable, but nobody in their right mind do, surely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Dude, the WoW playerbase is comprised of thousands of micro-audiences all clamoring for frequently opposite things. Any time someone says something like "nobody asked for this" or "who is the audience" you can immediately write it off, since the fact that thread exists means someone wants it.
    Pretty sure spending millions of man hours needs more research than "one dude wants it". If you can't make content a decent portion of your playerbase wants, don't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    Isnt there a quest in wow like this?
    We play Illidan VS a raid of players?
    And Nightmare Ysera too.

at its heart, what you are asking for is to have scripted AI that plots attacks on the players and the players need to use strategy to counter. but we just did that in BfA with Warfronts and Island Expeditions. To be fair, Blizzard tried to sell the players on those ideas by saying the AI was "super advanced" and could make really smart decisions compared to what it could do in the past. But as it turns out, it wasn't able to do that. And even if it could, Blizzard would be under severe pressure to nerf the AI because a lot of people would demand a comp stomp game.

But to be sure, the AI *did* raid the players base in Warfronts. The AI was just incredibly stupid.

I suppose I'd be more fun or interesting if 1 player controlled the AI on the other side and moved pieces around like it was a Warcraft 3 RTS game.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    So... it's a raid with no rewards?
    A raid where you start with the rewards, but they are taken away from you at the end. :P

Just kidding ofc... unless?
    _ _

Yes, it would be an interesting encounter, OP.

Hmm I could see it, why not, like a single fun encounter. In a kobold raid players might have to melt together into a wax amalgamation, and a raid of kobold "heroes" would be trying to defeat them. The tanks would do the steering and targetting. Dpsers would have to place themselves strategically over the amalgamations body for range/dodging attacks/dealing with mechanics like kobolds trying to jump on top of them and targete body parts. Healers could do whatever healers do, dunno.

A lot of players dislike gimmick/vehicle fights like that, but as a one-off it could work, if it wasn't too hard ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Eh? I guess if you consider the game redeemable, but nobody in their right mind do, surely.
    You talk as if you've spent a lot of money in it and only played less than an hour.
    I played more than 40h, did quite a few interesting things solo and in group, had great time leveling and doing dungeons with my wife and all for free. I don't know who in their right mind wouldn't like that...

While I am all for shaking up raids and mechanics, this doesn't sound plausible in my mind.

Sounds even worse than faction champions. That was you vs like 10 of the opposing faction. This sounds like it would be more like 25 v 25, which by itself wouldn't be that bad, but as a raid, it just turns into a mess. This is without the whole, we are the bad guys thing factored in. Why would we have to be the bad guys?

Actually, I like this idea with one change. The goal of swapping rolls is to defeat the raid group. Have it be an end boss of a raid and have it be a major narrative point. That'd be an interesting way to wrap up a raid or narrative point.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Faction Champions was fucking boring, so no.
    Faction Champions was nothing like what the OP is proposing.

It sounds more like he's suggesting a form of the Illidan questline from Legion where you played as Illidan against a 25 man raid but as staple piece of WoW content instead of an expansion one off never to be seen again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Faction Champions was nothing like what the OP is proposing.

It sounds more like he's suggesting a form of the Illidan questline from Legion where you played as Illidan against a 25 man raid but as staple piece of WoW content instead of an expansion one off never to be seen again.
    Correct / / / / /10

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skildar View Post
    so you disguised your thread to shit on diablo immortal, weird and immature
    If you look at my history, you'll see that I post polls often and MOST of them have a wildcard thats just supposed to spark a bit of humor.

I have nothing against Diablo Immortal. Microtransactions aren't my thing but it doesn't mean it isn't SOMEONES thing. So play what you wish.
    Last edited by Rad1um; 2022-08-11 at 05:39 PM. Reason: because I dropped out in the 10th grade MMO Champ and my grammar is horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    On a purely mechanical view I don't think it would work very well, mainly due to threat (or lack thereof). If the NPCs had stats similar to regular players, then you as the boss would simply 1 shot all of the healers first, then work through the rest of the raid easily. And if all NPCs have their stats increased to be mini raid bosses themselves like Faction Champions, what's the point of having tanks if they can be ignored till the end?

Another way to think of it: imagine doing a regular raid encounter but the boss didn't have an aggro table, was immune to taunt, could reposition itself at will, and was smart enough to try and focus down healers first. It would be a huge mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure spending millions of man hours needs more research than "one dude wants it". If you can't make content a decent portion of your playerbase wants, don't make it.
    "That decent portion" doesn't exist, though. It's hundreds of groups all wanting opposite things. Just look at the flying threads. There's a spectrum from wanting it immediately everywhere to wanting it gone entirely and dozens of permutations in between. Every topic is like that.

No matter what idea Blizzard throws out there's going to be someone who goes "I like this." Blizzard's ultimate balancing act is giving enough of those groups something frequently enough, while praying the groups that currently aren't being served don't burn the game down.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

This feels like a thinly-veiled Immortal thread

As others have pointed out, we did something very similar in ToC and it didn't work well.

I am not sure how you would orchestrate this, it sounds like you would just have a raid playing defense instead of offense. I can't see how it doesn't end up being a raid just dealing with waves of mobs and bosses.

Raid fight, during transition you become Hogger with vehicle action bar and have to slaughter gnome NPCs named like players.
    Okay, this is a thinly veiled attempt to encourage the death of gnomes.