Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    last I looked at Iron-forge active was not really that impressive, and looking at a old population graph back when blizzard released numbers BC was at 11 mill just before LK.
    I mean, it's not going to be as successful now as it was back then by any means though.

It was not only a new game, but it was also a novel idea to many people in general.

A lot of other MMOs were too hardcore and/or nerdy to be popular with the general population. Blizzard, at the time, was really the company that took a lot of these nerdier and more hardcore games and made them palatable for the everyman. So not only were MMOs somewhat newish in the general timeline, but they were also likely BRAND new to many of the people who only really played Blizzard games.

The novelty of the concept of an online chatroom that allowed you to physically interact with other people was definitely a large part of WoW's early success. It's not really a novel idea anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    I mean, it's not going to be as successful now as it was back then by any means though.

It was not only a new game, but it was also a novel idea to many people in general.

A lot of other MMOs were too hardcore and/or nerdy to be popular with the general population. Blizzard, at the time, was really the company that took a lot of these nerdier and more hardcore games and made them palatable for the everyman. So not only were MMOs somewhat newish in the general timeline, but they were also likely BRAND new to many of the people who only really played Blizzard games.

The novelty of the concept of an online chatroom that allowed you to physically interact with other people was definitely a large part of WoW's early success. It's not really a novel idea anymore.
    A lot of people forget wow was built to be easy and casual, it was it's reason to exist. *I played EQ from about a few months after it went live, and WOW about one month (was still playing EQ).

From a idea of nostalgia and how popular it was the first go, added anyone with a retail account can log on and play I would have expected higher numbers.

so is the other one impressive or wow's not impressive or is that just the average population % for old MMO's?

and some of those existed long before WOW was a gleam in Blizzards eyes like EQ.

again I'm not impressed maybe you're just really easily impressed?
    You have no barometer. You just decided "I don't like how Blizzard is doing wow classic so it must be a failure" and then filing in the blanks afterward.

I think having hundreds of thousands of players for a 15 year old game that doesn't get new content is incredibly impressive. I'm not the one obsessed with comparing things to what everyone was doing in 2002. That's your weird game, and it results in clown shit like saying 20,000 players is more impressive than 500,000 players.

- - - Updated - - -

From a idea of nostalgia and how popular it was the first go, added anyone with a retail account can log on and play I would have expected higher numbers.
    And that is an absurd, unreasonable expectation, because you are saying that unless WoW Classic has numbers that dwarf brand new games that are currently live and getting new content, then it is a failure. WoW Classic's numbers would easily put it in the top 20, if not the top 10 on the Steam charts. For a 15 year old game with no new content to do that is insane.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    You have no barometer. You just decided "I don't like how Blizzard is doing wow classic so it must be a failure" and then filing in the blanks afterward.

I think having hundreds of thousands of players for a 15 year old game that doesn't get new content is incredibly impressive. I'm not the one obsessed with comparing things to what everyone was doing in 2002. That's your weird game, and it results in clown shit like saying 20,000 players is more impressive than 500,000 players.
    You're the one that is trying to make others think it's impressive.. (and seems to care if they think it's not).

older game have been around and been able to get or keep a % of players it's no biggies and not something to fawn over.
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2022-08-11 at 06:18 PM.

Not many people want to actually play the same games again. The nostalgia thing isn't really as powerful as people make it out to be. True straight up nostalgia doesn't really do much more than give you the urge to replay a game for maybe an hour or so.

People playing retail are also not the same people playing Classic. I unsubbed from retail after Legion and dislike the way the game has been going ever since, but I resubbed to play Classic again and much rather prefer that version of the game. The retail crowd who are still playing retail might possibly have tried Classic, decided that it sucked, and never bothered to come back since.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Not many people want to actually play the same games again. The nostalgia thing isn't really as powerful as people make it out to be. True straight up nostalgia doesn't really do much more than give you the urge to replay a game for maybe an hour or so.

People playing retail are also not the same people playing Classic. I unsubbed from retail after Legion and dislike the way the game has been going ever since, but I resubbed to play Classic again and much rather prefer that version of the game. The retail crowd who are still playing retail might possibly have tried Classic, decided that it sucked, and never bothered to come back since.
    I wanted to sub for Classic but wanted to play classic not blizzo world remastered, I've have not played since WOD other than getting dragged in for 2 months in bfa *total waste 3 month sub and didn't really play the entire 2 full months before deleting, and leaving had nothing to do with any finders and more with class design\scaling and a few other game things.
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2022-08-11 at 06:16 PM.

You're the one that is trying to make others think it's impressive.. (and seems to care if they think it's not).

older game have been around and been able to get or keep a % of players it's no biggies and not something to fawn over.
    What 15 year old game with no new content has hundreds of thousands of players?
    -ynnady

What 15 year old game with no new content has hundreds of thousands of players?
    what happened to % of the players? what 15 year old game had 11 million players an now can only draw in under 500000.

*you seem desperate to try and make something sound impressive, that is just not. (I'm more impressed with the much older games being around with no "retail to ride on" still pulling people in).
    Last edited by Dadwen; 2022-08-11 at 06:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People whining about RDF lol. For Wotlk just do what I did for TBCC - Roll a healer! or even better... a Tank! or find a guild that runs daily HC's?

I haven't read all of the posts, but do people NOT understand that there was no RDF until the END of Wrath when ICC launched?

Quote Originally Posted by helusay View Post
    I haven't read all of the posts, but do people NOT understand that there was no RDF until the END of Wrath when ICC launched?
    it was put in on patch 3.3.0 about half way though wrath (was in about 47/48% of wrath's life).

it was put in on patch 3.3.0 about half way though wrath (was in about 47/48% of wrath's life).
    Right, but it still wasn't in Wrath at launch. That is why I am confused why others are complaining about it not being available at Wrath Classic launch.

what happened to % of the players? what 15 year old game had 11 million players an now can only draw in under 500000.
    The vast, vast, vast, vast majority of games from 15 years ago have almost no players now, including games that sold tens of millions of copies.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 came out in 2012 and sold almost 25 million copies. It has 350 people playing it right now on Steam.

*you seem desperate to try and make something sound impressive, that is just not. (I'm more impressed with the much older games being around with no "retail to ride on" still pulling people in).
    Blizzard has stated that classic and retail don't have a lot of crossover players.
    -ynnady

Well, no wrath LFD pretty much means it goes into the same pile as Classic and TBC classic .. the no play bin.

I simply cannot be arsed trying to form groups in retail let alone do it in Wrath Classic, so yea went from I will play to I wont play pretty fucking quick.

I simply have no interest in spending several hours finding a heroic group only to have the numpties disband because we wipe a few times or never finding a group for OCC/Heroic OCC because most players have the spatial awareness of a wet paper bag.

Honestly with how many daft bone headed decision Blizz is making with Dragon Flight and Wrath Classic its looking like BFA and ShadowLands all over again where we wont actually get a good game till the first major patch when they roll back their stupidity with a "We were wrong" excuse.

Ill just be there with a "WE FUCKING TOLD YOU SO"
    Last edited by Addiena; 2022-08-11 at 07:45 PM.

Right, but it still wasn't in Wrath at launch. That is why I am confused why others are complaining about it not being available at Wrath Classic launch.
    It's not that they're complaining it's not in at launch. The complaints are coming from the official statement from Blizzard that they are not planning on putting it in AT ALL.

https://www.wowhead.com/wotlk/news/d...nge-lfg-328228

We continue to iterate on the bulletin-board style Looking for Group tool, and we do not have plans to add the Random Dungeon Finder.

issue is not no plan's at launch, it's no plans to add at all.

*oops late what the guy above said...

wasn't the whole premise around classic wow, to re-release the expansions "as they were" with a few quality of life tweaks here and there.

well, this is a removal of a quality of life feature for the sake of "muh community".

I wouldn't want to miss potentially meeting my future spouse while flying to azjol-nerub.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It's not that they're complaining it's not in at launch. The complaints are coming from the official statement from Blizzard that they are not planning on putting it in AT ALL.

https://www.wowhead.com/wotlk/news/d...nge-lfg-328228
    You would think that by now they would realise that their stupid "Social Interaction" push isn't working and trying to force it wont work either but simply drive away players that they need playing their game.

Just a hint Blizz . .I dont want to fucking interact with 90% of the wow player base as is, I force myself to do the bare minimum required to get through pugs and groups ...thank fuck Voice Comms are not required for DPS.
    Last edited by Addiena; 2022-08-11 at 07:49 PM.

The vast, vast, vast, vast majority of games from 15 years ago have almost no players now, including games that sold tens of millions of copies.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 came out in 2012 and sold almost 25 million copies. It has 350 people playing it right now on Steam.

Blizzard has stated that classic and retail don't have a lot of crossover players.
    ya a Online multiplayer FPS has a lot on common with a RPGMMO... all that replay-ability... /s

ya blizzard states a lot of things, time engagement or something called mau or such, so what is "not a lot" 50-200000? they give a solid number or %

ya a Online multiplayer FPS has a lot on common with a RPGMMO... all that replay-ability... /s

ya blizzard states a lot of things, time engagement or something called mau or such, so what is not a lot 50-200000? they give a solid number or %
    Classic isn't getting new content, so what deployability are you talking about? A 15 year old MMO with no new content is just as repayable as any other 15 year old game.
    -ynnady