19 8.02%
  • Doctorate o Professional Degree - Unemployed

3 1.27%
  • Other

5 2.11%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    I was wondering this not so long ago, what's the avarage education level of the WoW player base and their employment status?

Because of the limited options in this thread Self Employed falls into the category of Employed.
    Professional Degree = J.D. / M.D. / D.O. / D.D.S. / D.V.M / etc.

I'll start. Doctorate/Professional Degree - Employed.
    Nice subtle flex of the doctorate there.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Nice subtle flex of the doctorate there.
    I mean, medical school almost destroyed my life. So I might as well...

But I was seriously curious. R.io crusaders i've encountered in PuGs made me question this. I posted something about this somewhere else.

I was wondering this not so long ago, what's the avarage education level of the WoW player base and their employment status?

Because of the limited options in this thread Self Employed falls into the category of Employed.
    Professional Degree = J.D. / M.D. / D.O. / D.D.S. / D.V.M / etc.

I'll start. Doctorate/Professional Degree - Employed.
    I hardly think people with masters or doctorate play this game and think people are not telling the truth.

Formal education is just a small part of intelligence. Social intelligence isn't even graded. So you could have a person with a masters that also is so poorly educated socially that they gossip all the time.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Formal education is just a small part of intelligence. Social intelligence isn't even graded. So you could have a person with a masters that also is so poorly educated socially that they gossip all the time.
    That is one of the issues with society, we measure on simple scales, and leave out other variables.

As for the topic:

Educated Data technician, I believe you call that vocational school? Employed at the current.
    - Technically, next repairs and labor, I am also doing admin/HR work too, as well as customer service
    Educated Storage Management (Physical), vocational school. Employed as well.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2021-10-12 at 08:49 AM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Masters Degree (History) Minor in Creative Writing
    Technically unemployed but for a good reason: Retired.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Cubster20038 View Post
    I hardly think people with masters or doctorate play this game and think people are not telling the truth.
    What a strange thing to say. You might have outlandish ideas about what people with PhDs are like. Hint, they are neither smarter nor have different tastes in wasting their free time. I should know, I have a doctorate in machine learning / AI. Yes, my play time went way down when I started the program, but here I am, still checking these forums for spicy discussions and hot takes. Shadowlands is garbage though, so I ain't playing that for the last 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Back in my day, we generalized it as being 'book smart' or 'street smart'. Typically, there is an inverse relationship between the two, i.e. a book smart person will lack street smarts, and a a street smart person will lack book smarts. It's rare to have both, and the times I've seen both is usually from people who started out in the dregs and worked their way up, or started at the top and fell down. Basically, you needed to experience various aspects of life outside of your personal bubble and/or safe space to get a true understanding of the world around you.

Almost my entire nuclear family is an example of likely having both in good supply, as we've lived through destitution and hunger, yet worked our way up to high-end jobs and advanced degrees. The irony is that despite all the doctorates and degrees my family and I have, we kind of view them as rather pointless in the grand scheme of things when it comes to our happiness. It's a piece of paper in the end, and quite frankly I've worked with masters/doctorate individuals who are dumb as rocks within and without their profession anyways. Personally, my happiness doesn't stem from all my academic achievements, it comes from providing for my wife and kid with a good life, as well as the actions I take on a daily basis. My education, whether through the various institutions or through self-instruction, is just one piece of the larger puzzle to develop my world view.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account

But I was seriously curious. R.io crusaders i've encountered in PuGs made me question this. I posted something about this somewhere else.
    In my experience education has nothing to do with social skills or knowing how to behave. Or even how smart the person is.

I always feel bad for doctors after seeing how much debt new ones are in + the insurance they need

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    What a strange thing to say. You might have outlandish ideas about what people with PhDs are like. Hint, they are neither smarter nor have different tastes in wasting their free time. I should know, I have a doctorate in machine learning / AI. Yes, my play time went way down when I started the program, but here I am, still checking these forums for spicy discussions and hot takes. Shadowlands is garbage though, so I ain't playing that for the last 6 months.
    I do find it interesting the notion people generally have that the hyper rich (minimum of 9 figures) and the well educated don't play video games. Or for that matter the belief that they don't eat fast food lol, I find that one particularly funny.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

I left school with no qualifications worth speaking of. No university.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post

I do find it interesting the notion people generally have that the hyper rich (minimum of 9 figures) and the well educated don't play video games. Or for that matter the belief that they don't eat fast food lol, I find that one particularly funny.
    Who do you think is bankrolling all the Raid Shadow Legends marketing? /s

Interesting statistics, how relevant is it for 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by DanaShelton View Post
    It shows that when given the opportunity to lie about their education level on the internet, most people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    It shows that when given the opportunity to lie about their education level on the internet, most people do.
    My belief is that literacy rates haven't really increased since the 1800s, more people just lie about being able to do so.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

no degree and homeless

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Eh. Whelp, that is a negative way to look at life.

Got an education as a computer tech, meaning to start in mechanical engineering in the Autumn.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    My belief is that literacy rates haven't really increased since the 1800s, more people just lie about being able to do so.
    thats more insane than believing the earth is flat lol

I would imagine that most successful WoW players have some education. It is really easy to get a HS degree in the USA- you basically just have to show up.

Think of all the research you have to do in this game. Your spec, your BIS, boss/ pvp strats, etc. If you couldn't manage to "just show up" for that HS degree, I can't imagine you would do these things for a video game. You would probably just find an easier game to play or a P2W game where you could just buy the stuff (like Diablo Immortal).

Most people who do not have some form of an education usually do not like to research things or read up on things that they don't have to. Even if they have to (like filling out a form, work etc) they usually try to skip through and not really read it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaShelton View Post
    You could have just necro'd your thread on your main instead of making a burner account for it.