10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Florida is the only state in the south where women can get legal abortion up to 15 weeks.

DeSantis shows no interest in changing that. Probably has something to do with his presidential ambition.

Even within the state, overturning Roe vs. Wade was not popular.
    Not to mention how is a 16 year old gonna handle the medical debt from forced birth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Indeed. 2021 was an exception, but abortions are overall on a decline. But even after decades of decline, they're still far higher than adoptions. Maybe if alt-right religioius fanatics took over, they could force abortions so low adoptions could cover the rest, but at the current rate of decline it'd be decades.
    2020. People had, um, er, a lot of...free time on their hands. Or not on their hands as the case maybe.
    Kinda like how births used to be more prevalent in the fall in northern states. What else were you going to do during the winter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...46452.html?amp

A woman in Louisiana said that she has been told that she must carry a fetus without a skull and part of its head to term or travel out of state to recieve an abortion.

Nancy Davis, a mother of one, is 13 weeks pregnant. Several weeks ago, an initial ultrasound revelead to Ms Davis that the fetus would have no chance of surviving — but because Louisiana’s abortion ban does not include an exception for acrania, the condition the fetus is suffering from, she cannot get a legal abortion in the state.

If Ms Davis does want to get an abortion, she will have to travel out of state to Florida. But time is running out for her to make a decision: Florida has banned abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy, giving Ms Davis a small window to schedule an appointment and arrange her travel should she decide to get the procedure.
    This is the forced pregnancy hell that Republicans want to inflict upon girls and women.

Being forced to carry a fetus to term with the full knowledge that when fully developed and born, the baby will have no chance of surviving and at best will have a short, painful death. All while the woman is forced to accept that knowledge as she remains pregnant for upwards of dozens of weeks and deals with the side effects and health complications.

Republicans. Want. To. Force. Women. To. Be. Baby. Machines.

In a separate case in Louisiana, also linked in the article, a doctor was not allowed to perform a routine second-trimester medical procedure to remove a non-viable fetus to protect the health of the mother - https://twitter.com/samkarlin/status...16888831098881

The procedure would have lasted 15 minutes.

The result? She had to induce to deliver the fetus.

She suffered for hours of painful delivery pains for the nonviable fetus and against her wishes. She was emotionally traumatized by not having bodily autonomy and being forced to carry out a cruel, inhumane progress.

Oh, and she lost a liter of blood because of hemorrhaging that was avoidable.

This is the torture Republicans are fine forcing many women to endure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    I was wondering how long it was going to take before the right wing posters in this thread started up with their "children are fundamentally the property of their parents" angle.
    Just the second worst manifestation of "kids are property" I saw this week.

First being the Kids Division of the USA Mullet Championships.
    https://mulletchamp.com/2022-kids-division-voting/

Some of the names are more tragic than the haircuts.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Midterm Voter View Post
    First being the Kids Division of the USA Mullet Championships.
    https://mulletchamp.com/2022-kids-division-voting/

Some of the names are more tragic than the haircuts.
    This might be worse than the abuse I've seen on Dance Moms and Toddlers in Tiaras. Where the fuck is child protective services when they're needed most.

But real, regional names gonna be regional and the kids look like they're having fun be kids.

Republican state Rep. Neal Collins told South Carolina's House Judiciary Committee that he would not be voting on a ban that only has exceptions for saving the life of the mother. The bill provides no provisions for victims of rape or incest.

Collins revealed that he had sleepless nights after learning that doctors refused to extract the fetus from a 19-year-old woman whose water broke at 15 weeks of pregnancy.

Doctors told Collins there was a "greater than 50% chance that she's going to lose her uterus."

He said there was also a 10% chance that the woman could die of sepsis.

"That weighs on me," Collins remarked. "I voted for that bill. These are affecting people and we're having a meeting about this. That whole week I did not sleep."

The lawmaker's voice cracked as he explained that the woman had to wait two weeks before the fetus could be extracted without a beating heart.

"What we do matters," Collins said, pausing to collect himself. "Out of respect for the process, I'm not voting today. But I want it to be clear that myself and many others are not in a position to vote for this bill without significant changes to the bill."

At that point, the committee chair cut off Collins and asked for a vote on the bill, which the committee approved.

Kudos to him for at least having an open enough mind to acknowledge the harm he and his party are causing many girls and women.

It's a shockingly, depressingly low bar and it's pathetic that we need to give credit to anyone for clearing it, but this is the absolute state of things.

Amazing what happens when a Republican finally realizes the kind of harm they're causing people when voting for these extremist positions. I hope he can get some sleep now, but that his week of sleepless nights causes him to consider his other positions and votes and whether or not they result in similar harm being caused to people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    I wonder what Florida will do with the kid (or the tens of thousands) that will be put up for adoption soon.
    Soylent Green?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post

Fuck him, people warned him and they still fucking did it anyway. They better fucking realize it before its too late and too many women, and even teenage girls are fucking killed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Soylent Green?
    You laugh, but I just saw a dumbass on fucking Tiktok claiming that the companies in red states that are sending their workers to states that want an abortion, that they are using fetal cells in their products. The companies she is talking about? For example, Disney, McDonalds, Walmart, and even the military, since they are doing something similar. She was batshit insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Fuck him, people warned him and they still fucking did it anyway. They better fucking realize it before its too late and too many women, and even teenage girls are fucking killed.

- - - Updated - - -

You laugh, but I just saw a dumbass on fucking Tiktok claiming that the companies in red states that are sending their workers to states that want an abortion, that they are using fetal cells in their products. The companies she is talking about? For example, Disney, McDonalds, Walmart, and even the military, since they are doing something similar. She was batshit insane.
    If they put it in the deals on the app, I'd take 2 free large fries with a 20 piece Fetus McNugget pack. Just to try it.

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    If they put it in the deals on the app, I'd take 2 free large fries with a 20 piece Fetus McNugget pack. Just to try it.
    What is sad, is that the people in her comments section were absolutely all agreeing with her. Even in spite of the evidence produced that she was fucking stupid.

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-...b5bc1548518cf6

WV's Republican governor, realizing that leaving decisions on abortion legalization to the voters would likely not deliver the results he and his party wants, argue that instead that decisions are the purview of the Legislature alone.

Republicans really hate democracy when they realize they have incredibly unpopular platform positions and that voters won't vote how they want them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Kudos to him for at least having an open enough mind to acknowledge the harm he and his party are causing many girls and women.
    You think so? I'm more inclined to believe that next time something like this comes up for vote, he's just going to do what Gawd (and his party) tells him anyway. Consequences be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Considering how often parental consent laws are being used as an excuse for bigoted parents to continue neglecting and abusing their LGBT children in recent years? Yes, I will assume that stories involving those laws coming from Republican states involve bigotry and ignorance until it's demonstrated otherwise. That way, if they don't, I can be pleasantly surprised. The right in this country lost the benefit of the doubt on these issues ages ago...if they ever had it in the first place.
    Legislate any neglect and abuse under whatever terms you want. It's still no excuse to rob parents of their ability to parent their children while being informed of their struggles. The opposite is, of course, magnifying abuse and regret of another kind.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    It's still no excuse to rob parents of their ability to parent their children while being informed of their struggles.
    This is the same logic used to defend outing children and teens to homophobic parents resulting in them getting kicked out of their house and ending up homeless, FYI.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2022-08-17 at 10:45 PM.

Legislate any neglect and abuse under whatever terms you want. It's still no excuse to rob parents of their ability to parent their children while being informed of their struggles. The opposite is, of course, magnifying abuse and regret of another kind.
    When what conservatives call "parenting" is abuse, then yes, that's a perfectly fine excuse to "rob" them of that ability. That last sentence you wrote is meaningless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    When what conservatives call "parenting" is abuse, then yes, that's a perfectly fine excuse to "rob" them of that ability. That last sentence you wrote is meaningless.
    Someone needs to take you to the woodshed, young man.

It seems you are fine with parents who rape and beat children to keep their rights, the concept that some people shouldn't have those rights doesn't seem to enter your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    It seems you are fine with parents who rape and beat children to keep their rights, the concept that some people shouldn't have those rights doesn't seem to enter your mind.
    If you are abusing your child. You can get reported to CPS. Its a process

Weird as hell ppl here are for children to make decisions that they dont understand abt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Someone needs to take you to the woodshed, young man.
    Is there candy in the woodshed? What's in the woodshed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Is there candy in the woodshed? What's in the woodshed?
    All the abuse you can use to make a cowed, unquestioning, and terrified child!