Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Now you are just being hateful for the sake of it. If you don't like the show that is fine but there is no reason to be insulting a persons appearance just because you are looking for things to hate. Just move on from the show and surround yourself with something you actually enjoy.
    I would not call the lady busted but she is no Lanfear. She is a beautiful woman even but Lanfear in both forms that she appears in the books is supposed to be arrestingly beautiful; the most beautiful woman anyone has ever seen.

Personally when I think Lanfear I think Eva Green but that's way above their budget.

And speaking of the Forsaken, can you imagine them trying to recreate any scene with Graendal?
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-08-18 at 04:44 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I would not call the lady busted but she is no Lanfear. She is a beautiful woman even but Lanfear in both forms that she appears in the books is supposed to be arrestingly beautiful; the most beautiful woman anyone has ever seen.
    Which is an unrealistic thing for a film to accurately cast. There is a reason why descriptors like that work in books. The reader imagines it and is given an ultimatum of how the character looks rather then using visual cues of "attractivness" to reach that conclusion.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Which is an unrealistic thing for a film to accurately cast. There is a reason why descriptors like that work in books. The reader imagines it and is given an ultimatum of how the character looks rather then using visual cues of "attractivness" to reach that conclusion.
    We are talking about a woman who is so attractive that she causes other incredibly attractive woman to fade into the background. Assuming that's the role she is casted as it's incredibly terrible casting. Someone like Daddario or another similar type of actress is what is needed for the role. Sorry but someone who was never at that level just doesn't fit that. Especially due to age range needed to cover as she changes her looks throughout the series originally appearing to be close to Rand's age as Selene.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally when I think Lanfear I think Eva Green but that's way above their budget.

And speaking of the Forsaken, can you imagine them trying to recreate any scene with Graendal?
    At this point I expect them to cut half of them as well as Verin and role her role into Moiraine including that part which they won't get to anyway.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now you are just being hateful for the sake of it. If you don't like the show that is fine but there is no reason to be insulting a persons appearance just because you are looking for things to hate. Just move on from the show and surround yourself with something you actually enjoy.
    Look at this sychophant over here defending a terrible casting choice. Lanfear is literally supposed to be the most beautiful woman in the world, instead they cast some mid looking nerdy chick who looks like she belongs in Napolean Dynamite.

- - - Updated - - -

If I had to guess, the degeneracy that is Graendal probably offends Rafe's sensibilities and will also be gutted from the show, not that I anticipate that they will get that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    If I had to guess, the degeneracy that is Graendal probably offends Rafe's sensibilities and will also be gutted from the show, not that I anticipate that they will get that far.
    Graendal is my favourite, she and Ishamael are the only Forsaken who chose the Dark One for reasons that were not petty.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I can see them rolling Graendal, and Moggy into one character and Mesaana and Semirhage into another -if they get *that* far.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    I can see them rolling Graendal, and Moggy into one character and Mesaana and Semirhage into another -if they get *that* far.
    That isn't going to be the worst one they are going to roll Verin into either Moraine or Elaida just watch

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    That isn't going to be the worst one they are going to roll Verin into either Moraine or Elaida just watch
    Ouch. That hurt. I wish the concept of making Verin and Elaida the same person had never been put before my eyes.

Ouch man, that hurts.

Imagining the "tea scene" with Elaida instead of Verin. Or Egwene standing up to Verin at dinner....

Sheesh.... that hurts

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Odds on Bryne and Thom being merged.

I feel like I read somewhere that they were only going with 8 forsaken, but that might have been someone theorycrafting what they would do.

Either way feel like a lot of fun side characters are going to be missed (I feel like Tylin might be cut, she was a fun character).
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-08-18 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    Ouch. That hurt. I wish the concept of making Verin and Elaida the same person had never been put before my eyes.

Ouch man, that hurts.

Imagining the "tea scene" with Elaida instead of Verin. Or Egwene standing up to Verin at dinner....

Sheesh.... that hurts
    Here's the real question though is it worse than rolling her and Moiraine into one and keeping that the same. I mean in Rafe's mind they were both fighting the dark one after all just in different ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh geez that would be bad

Here's the real question though is it worse than rolling her and Moiraine into one and keeping that the same. I mean in Rafe's mind they were both fighting the dark one after all just in different ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh geez that would be bad
    I think Moraine and Verin becoming one is more likely and less damaging. They will not be able to do the "I was a DF all along and did it to help", but that is at the end and I doubt anyone there thinks that show will last that long. Verin is similar enough to Moraine for a good portion of the books that they could do that. It is only the people that have read the whole thing and know WHY they are SO VERY different that would have an issue with it.

Elaida and Verin are nothing alike and serve no similar purpose in the story. HOWEVER, since they skipped Caemlyn and will likely cut out Morgase's story all together, Elaida could be combined with someone else and have it work out alright. Not sure who, but it could happen, maybe Liandrin, she seems likely.

I would not count on ever meeting Gareth Bryne. With them skipping Caemlyn you could argue that they never actually explore those characters. Elayne will get explored since she will be at the White Tower with the girls, and because she is such a huge part of the story. But her mom and her brothers and anyone associated with them? Expect those to be cut. Gareth Bryne serves nearly no purpose if you cut out alot of the story. Without Morgase, he is totally skippable. You can even sub in someone else to be the general for E later on if they ever get that far.

^ All of that made me depressed to write. I'm gonna go read book 2 some more. Rand just found Thom, so I'm getting to the good parts.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Audiobooks take more time than reading the physical book. The only "good" audiobooks are for is for listening to books in the background while doing something else, which lowers retention of the story. It is strictly an inferior way of consuming a book.

This is my TED Talk on the evil of modernity vis a vis audiobooks, thanks for attending.
    Look, I may agree with you for my personal preference. But none of what you stated above is a fact.

Not everyone reads as fast as you, or I, do. For some people, audiobooks ARE faster for them than reading themselves. And there is such a thing as "auditory learning preferences" - for some people they remember what they hear, more (or easier) than what they read. Not even getting into the myriad of learning disabilities that effect this type of learning/processing as well that makes audiobooks actually superior, for some people, over reading and retaining "the written word."

That is my TED talk on understanding people are different. Thanks for attending.
    Last edited by Koriani; 2022-08-18 at 06:10 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    I think Moraine and Verin becoming one is more likely and less damaging. They will not be able to do the "I was a DF all along and did it to help", but that is at the end and I doubt anyone there thinks that show will last that long. Verin is similar enough to Moraine for a good portion of the books that they could do that. It is only the people that have read the whole thing and know WHY they are SO VERY different that would have an issue with it.

Elaida and Verin are nothing alike and serve no similar purpose in the story. HOWEVER, since they skipped Caemlyn and will likely cut out Morgase's story all together, Elaida could be combined with someone else and have it work out alright. Not sure who, but it could happen, maybe Liandrin, she seems likely.

I would not count on ever meeting Gareth Bryne. With them skipping Caemlyn you could argue that they never actually explore those characters. Elayne will get explored since she will be at the White Tower with the girls, and because she is such a huge part of the story. But her mom and her brothers and anyone associated with them? Expect those to be cut. Gareth Bryne serves nearly no purpose if you cut out alot of the story. Without Morgase, he is totally skippable. You can even sub in someone else to be the general for E later on if they ever get that far.

^ All of that made me depressed to write. I'm gonna go read book 2 some more. Rand just found Thom, so I'm getting to the good parts.
    They could just have Elaida be Amyrlin from the start and skip that arc and Siuan as a character (and thus Bryne as well).

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    No doubt.

I mean the standard of casting "the one woman who puts everyone else to shame" is an impossibility. There is no possible way to pick ANY actress and have every man (or woman) who watches the show agree that they are the "most beautiful in the world."

Every choice would be a failure to someone.

There are plenty of legit issues with this show. No need to go pick on this one casting choice no matter whether you feel the person they picked is attractive or not. Way better points on the other problems with the show.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Look, I may agree with you for my personal preference. But none of what you stated above is a fact.

But not everyone reads as fast as you, or I, do. For some people, audiobooks ARE faster for them than reading themselves. And there is such a thing as "auditory learning preferences" - for some people they remember what they hear, more (or easier) than what they read. Not even getting into the myriad of learning disabilities that effect this type of learning/processing as well that makes audiobooks actually superior, for some people, over reading and retaining "the written word."

That is my TED talk on understanding people are different. Thanks for attending.
    The first time I read Dostoevsky, it was 800-900 pages. I did it in 10 hours. I am a fast reader, but assume you're a slow reader - and it takes you 50 pages an hour for 16-18 hours.

The audiobook is 37 hours long. You'd have to read at a snail's pace to take that long to read this book. 25 pages an hour, which is hilariously slow.

And I'm sure that some people learn better with audio. I have no problem with that. What I take issue with is the idea that people are sitting around for 37 hours listening a book and solely focusing on the book - like when you physically read it. I'm sure if aural learners do that, it may indeed be better. But that's not how 99% of audiobooks are consumed, even by those who learn better aurally.

I've never known someone who uses audiobooks to behave in that fashion. It's always a background thing, going on while driving, or doing something else on a different monitor, or while on an exercise bike. This is a strictly worse method of retention, no matter how good your multi-tasking is, or how you manage your ADHD. This has been studied. People who "read" a book via audiobook retain less of the book that those who physically read it.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The first time I read Dostoevsky, it was 800-900 pages. I did it in 10 hours. I am a fast reader, but assume you're a slow reader - and it takes you 50 pages an hour for 16-18 hours.

The audiobook is 37 hours long. You'd have to read at a snail's pace to take that long to read this book. 25 pages an hour, which is hilariously slow.

And I'm sure that some people learn better with audio. I have no problem with that. What I take issue with is the idea that people are sitting around for 37 hours listening a book and solely focusing on the book - like when you physically read it. I'm sure if aural learners do that, it may indeed be better. But that's not how 99% of audiobooks are consumed, even by those who learn better aurally.

I've never known someone who uses audiobooks to behave in that fashion. It's always a background thing, going on while driving, or doing something else on a different monitor, or while on an exercise bike. This is a strictly worse method of retention, no matter how good your multi-tasking is, or how you manage your ADHD. This has been studied. People who "read" a book via audiobook retain less of the book that those who physically read it.
    And I agree with all of what you said, of the above.

But your first post was coming off with a much more "Audiobooks suck and there's no reason for anyone to listen to a book over reading it - they are inferior" type of judgment with it. And that's why I wanted to point out what I pointed out. I work with people with these issues on a daily basis - so I felt a need to speak up and defend the 'other side'.

But I do acknowledge that, yes, those who learn better through audiobooks (or auditory anything) and those who DO sit and ONLY listen to the audiobook ARE a minority. My point was that minority doesn't deserve to feel 'inferior' because they appreciate, or enjoy, the "evil modernization" (paraphrasing you) that are audiobooks. If anything, people who are pro-books (or pro-reading) should rejoice and encourage the consumption of books in any form that allows a person to be able to enjoy that book, when they otherwise would not.

And absolutely, totally, agree - ANYTHING one is doing while multitasking is being done worse than if they were focused on only the one thing at a time. Because yes, no matter what we humans tell ourselves, our brains aren't capable of true "multi-tasking."
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

I'd also assume most people listening to audiobooks are not listening to "In Search of Lost Time". It's probably mostly used for light "reading"?

that may be so, but when you do not have time to sit down and solely focus on a physical book which is the case for a LOT of people, some retention is better then NO retention. or if you have a variety of eyesight etc issues that make it difficult to hold a book whether paper or digital. Audio books are not an inferior mode, they are an accessibility aid. (not to mention reading books out loud to young children is how you instill the love of reading among other things to begin with)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    And literally no one cares because season 1 was a disaster class in how not to adapt a beloved fantasy series.