Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Last word on the bombing is that some Russian Militia group called 'The National Republican Army' is claiming responsibility for it.
    Many seem to agree it's an FSB front to reign in the nationalists, and also to root out actual revolutionaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Last word on the bombing is that some Russian Militia group called 'The National Republican Army' is claiming responsibility for it.
    I don't think that's quite right. Ponomarev, the guy expelled from Russia, has claimed it's them but I don't believe they have made any public statement themselves. It would make sense for it to be them though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    Many seem to agree it's an FSB front to reign in the nationalists, and also to root out actual revolutionaries.
    Even if that were the case it could still be used as a legit organisation, I mean hide in the open?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    The martyrdom of such a figure would make perfect sense in the context of the propaganda war.
    Could be, but I do not buy it was Putlers doing. Rather some third party that's fed up, wants to escalate conflict and crush Ukraine.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Could be, but I do not buy it was Putlers doing. Rather some third party that's fed up, wants to escalate conflict and crush Ukraine.
    'Official' word from the Kremlin is that the Bomber escaped to Estonia.

So either they're actually telling the truth this time or they're looking to pick another fight for some ungodly reason and are using the bombing as an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Even if that were the case it could still be used as a legit organisation, I mean hide in the open?
    I guess. I'm not saying it's necessarily bad for the west. We just need to keep calm and use it for ourselves. With an eye in the back and a finger on the trigger

I bet Putin is going to twist it that the bomber's are secretly working with Ukraine, to try and stir some outrage at home for his failed war!
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    I bet Putin is going to twist it that the bomber's are secretly working with Ukraine, to try and stir some outrage at home for his failed war!
    It already happened.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crush Ukraine with what?

More elderly men with beer guts?

1+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing Putin can do that he hasn't already done or tried, save nukes, and he can't use nukes because then NATO's gloves are off and it will involve directly.

NATO will not allow nukes being used on its border, considering radiation moves around and doesn't care for borders, and radiation affecting a NATO state will be interpreted as aggression on a NATO member, and then NATO is obligated by the treaty to act.
    Last edited by Cynical Asshole; 2022-08-22 at 07:37 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Crush Ukraine with what?

More elderly men with beer guts?
    War announcement and general recruitment. Get them by the numbers, like they used to do it. At least, it seems that's how some old timers in Russia think.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-08-22 at 07:37 PM.

1+ Year Old Account
    War announcement and general recruitment. Get them by the numbers, like they used to do it. At least, it seems that's how some old timers in Russia think.
    Russia is spending money it barely has it is, while narrowly avoiding an failing economy. Putin can't afford a full war, he doesn't have the money for it. Also, I seriously doubt Russians will jump in to register to go die in a war that isn't for their own defense, kinda hard to push that narrative.

Only way that happens is if China jumps in.

Putin is hard pressed by his own men to show results, and he has no results to show. Odds are he will retire next year, more less in a wooden casket.
    Last edited by Cynical Asshole; 2022-08-22 at 07:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get 'em by the numbers, I'll remind you that the Ukrainians today published 9000 dead soldiers, take that vs the reported 40-80k russian dead, which is about 6.6 times the casualty rate if you take the average of 60k, that means that russia would need EVERYTHING, and then some, of the stated current full power of their army mobilized and in the fight. I don't think they even have enough equipment to equip all of those soldiers.

1+ Year Old Account
    I don't think they even have enough equipment to equip all of those soldiers.
    Wasn't a problem for Stalin. One guy carries the gun, the other guy has the ammo.

7+ Year Old Account
    Get 'em by the numbers, I'll remind you that the Ukrainians today published 9000 dead soldiers, take that vs the reported 40-80k russian dead, which is about 6.6 times the casualty rate if you take the average of 60k, that means that russia would need EVERYTHING, and then some, of the stated current full power of their army mobilized and in the fight. I don't think they even have enough equipment to equip all of those soldiers.
    Hey, not saying Russian higher ups are living in the present.

"Kremlin linked officials vow to strike Ukraine after daughter of Putin ally dies in car bomb"

Right, because they are definitely not already striking Ukraine.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    "Kremlin linked officials vow to strike Ukraine after daughter of Putin ally dies in car bomb"

Right, because they are definitely not already striking Ukraine.
    But now they'll make angry faces when they press the missile launching buttons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    Wasn't a problem for Stalin. One guy carries the gun, the other guy has the ammo.
    The idea that USSR generally sent basic infantry into battle without so much as some sort of small arms on them isn't true to real history, especially not on a wider policy scale from the government.

That's one of the areas were media have taken extensive creative liberties, outside of situations where e.g people filtered out of encirclements during breakout attempts without their weapons in the chaos that developed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The idea that USSR generally sent basic infantry into battle without so much as some sort of small arms on them isn't true to real history, especially not on a wider policy scale from the government.

That's one of the areas were media have taken extensive creative liberties, outside of situations where e.g people filtered out of encirclements during breakout attempts without their weapons in the chaos that developed.
    Not to mention that on a modern battlefield that would be flat out murder of your own troops by way of the enemy. Weapons have had such an evolution that this is not feasible, if it has ever been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to mention that on a modern battlefield that would be flat out murder of your own troops by way of the enemy. Weapons have had such an evolution that this is not feasible, if it has ever been.
    Yeah, Stavka didn't have the highest regard for the value of human life among their own ranks doctrinally, but that particular idea crosses so far into absurdity to be straight up counter-productive to effectively fighting a war.

This didn't really happen with proper red army formations, so much as desperate holding actions by press-ganged civilian militias being poorly equipped for logistical reasons.
    Last edited by zealo; 2022-08-22 at 09:12 PM.