10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moralgy View Post
    You will get it, its def the hardest extreme they have ever put out tbqh, but it is at least a bit more forgiving on a lot of metrics so while its non stop fast paced fun, it def allows for some mistakes sometimes at least! Me and some casual players took 3 lockouts on release doing it blind to get it, and the kill was kinda luck. My static took 1 lockout but only 5 were blind so its kinda cheating I guess lol.

lol sorry i forget not everyone knows the short names for the ultis :3
    Wouldnt say it's the hardest, also i wouldnt say it is harder than savage. Its definitely a harder one mechanically speaking, but imho the enrage timer is very forgiving.

Also the biggest difference in my opinion: How often do all 8 people need to be alive at the same time and do mechanics properly - and in this regard i think it is easier than savage.

Our first kill had around 12 deaths and we didnt even see enrage (and no, there weren't a lot of pentamelds) - also messing mechanics up doesn't kill the whole group.

So its hectic, and i hate it as melee, but i wouldnt say its harder than savage (though you could argue for erich, which is far slower, but mechanics are still less forgiving).

Read that "hate" as generic melee hate for bosses that jump and twist around a lot - other than that i think its a great fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Read that "hate" as generic melee hate for bosses that jump and twist around a lot - other than that i think its a great fight.
    I think all the boss movement makes it look a lot more busy than it is. It is also not as much fun to tank, as there is little to do with positioning or even mitigation. You don't need to share the double tank buster, or really even invuln it if you take it solo.

I am a sucker for all things FFIV though, and was pretty happy with the fight. To me, I think the hardest on content Ex was Thordan, but I also missed out on most of the on content ARR stuff, so maybe there was something back then that was harder.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wouldnt say it's the hardest, also i wouldnt say it is harder than savage. Its definitely a harder one mechanically speaking, but imho the enrage timer is very forgiving.

Also the biggest difference in my opinion: How often do all 8 people need to be alive at the same time and do mechanics properly - and in this regard i think it is easier than savage.

Our first kill had around 12 deaths and we didnt even see enrage (and no, there weren't a lot of pentamelds) - also messing mechanics up doesn't kill the whole group.

So its hectic, and i hate it as melee, but i wouldnt say its harder than savage (though you could argue for erich, which is far slower, but mechanics are still less forgiving).

Agree with most of this. The EX isn't so much hard with a static. The problem comes in PF where you have players attempting to get clears who easily sailed through Endsinger by following the safety circle marked person. The mechanics themselves were all relatively equal in complexity, but as long as you had one person in the group who knew what they were doing, you could follow them for 90% of the fight and be fine, only needing to think for yourself for the in/out part.

This EX requires a large amount of personal responsibility, which most people in PF suck at. They suck so horribly at thinking for themselves for most of the fight. Most of the "hard" parts are either hair prison (which for some reason PF wildly and utterly completely fails at the second one) or most of curling iron phase which requires standing at your clock spot and doing different things.

Even people who have cleared this fight often insist that they need X spot, like NE or NW, because they learned the fight in that position, and can't fathom doing it any other way, very likely because they don't know how or why the fight works, they just learned and memorized "the dance" from that position.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Even people who have cleared this fight often insist that they need X spot, like NE or NW, because they learned the fight in that position, and can't fathom doing it any other way, very likely because they don't know how or why the fight works, they just learned and memorized "the dance" from that position.
    To be fair, thats the same across most games and most content. How many people in WoW pick "their" safe spot for a mechanic and move back there every single time? How many people do you know that always play the same class in D&D? People like what's comfortable when it comes to their hobbies.

Now, there are obviously people who don't have a clue what they're doing and are just following the script, but I would actually go as far as say those people are in a minority. In my experience, it tends to be maybe one or two in a group, which means that the other 6 players know the fight properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    To be fair, thats the same across most games and most content. How many people in WoW pick "their" safe spot for a mechanic and move back there every single time? How many people do you know that always play the same class in D&D? People like what's comfortable when it comes to their hobbies.
    Well if the alternative is screwing up and getting yelled at / kicked.... I can understand that people take the option of playing it safe if they can.

God damn Cherrymon is the most obnoxious boss in Abyssos >

In other things, anyone knows if 10 ilvl make that much of a difference?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post

It's a lot of stats - so if you want to clear week 1, i think it is kinda required. I wouldn't bother with it, if you dont want to pentameld it, as this is one of the big advantages of crafted gear.

It's a lot of stats - so if you want to clear week 1, i think it is kinda required. I wouldn't bother with it, if you dont want to pentameld it, as this is one of the big advantages of crafted gear.
    My bad for not being clear, i was talking about blue gear, the BiS list i saw for MCH had no skill speed so i wss trying to make my own one with abyssos 610 and tomestone 620, but if the difference on dps between pieces is too big i may just go full 620

10+ Year Old Account
    My bad for not being clear, i was talking about blue gear, the BiS list i saw for MCH had no skill speed so i wss trying to make my own one with abyssos 610 and tomestone 620, but if the difference on dps between pieces is too big i may just go full 620
    As long as it is not a dead stat (SKS) - ilvl should actually be better - have played MCH as main for a long time and always went that route.

10+ Year Old Account

In general for pretty much all jobs, main stat and weapon damage increases weighs much more heavily than substat orientation for optimising damage output. There could be some rare exceptions, but that's heavily situational.

The thing i love about this game...
    In a fit of panique, i hit the trial in 6.2 and decided im not mentally ready for it. This pushed me to all the side quests. Got on my botanist and hit the deliveries quest in Sharlayan for the first time (might be 6.1 content for all i know)...
    It's those dumb small stories that suck me in. Two idiots stuck in their research. One completely oblivious; the other hopelessly in love. Who knows where it goes, but im so invested in their story. That they can do all these incredibly grand arcs, and yet also flush out the world with these silly 'hill of beans' quests... its just lovely.

Hinageshi vs Tankin (resolution spoiler) Its tooooo cute! Im not sure how many times we've done this trope, but it never gets old for me (:
    Last edited by ippollite; 2022-09-07 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Not really.
    As others have mentioned: the effects of borrowed power often are things they took away earlier and now ceremoniously give back.
    The whole point of these systems is to reward activity and "give the players something to do". Because thats what people were yelling for when WoW was like FF back in the day. "We don't want to play alts, we want something to do on our mains besides raiding!!11".

Well borrowed power grinds is pretty much the only answer to that question, next to fluff content that most raiders do not give many hoots about.

Personally, I am very happy that the only borrowed power in FF is the gear we acquire. I hope it stays that way.
    FF14 was quite a bit like WoW (just less choices), because overall Square copy pasted a lot from WoW to save their game and company.

Sad enough after that the got azy and cut it down brutally.

When FF14 started, you got the jobe with being advancement of two other classes and you could get certain skill of these classes as cross skills into your job.

They first reduced that to "job skills" and then just cut it out completely, so now every Paladin is like every other Paladin, no choices left at all.

They also did not improve things which were a good idea but never working well like leves, instead tried to force peopel into it, by for example giving you some extra currency for doing that not well done content and link it to unique rewards - insted of just fixing the content and making it more enjoyable.

They fooled around with crafting, overall not really improving it, just boiling it done so much, that meanwhile it's simply better to buy stuff from the bots intead of crafting yourself. Not that I was a fan of the partly brutal grind to get the recipe books in ARR times, but the idea wasn't to just cut it, what is sadly the main solution for everything besinde putting a carrot on it, just cutting it down.

Most sad part is, how little they made out of the idea of being able to have all job on one character. In ARR times I was actually one of few who had them all on top, what was made much more easier, but what's exactly the point, when the time gating does not let you equip them well?

If they would give it any though, they would have created something like relict armor, that switches with your you weapon for example, so peopl who actually car for having mutliple jobs could indeed work with that.

Instead it's worse than having alts, because since you only got one character, you also only got one lockout.

Of course they also cut that down a little, but meanwhile this just means, that there is not really much reason at all to care for gearing up, just wait a little and buy gear, it's good enough - what might have made it a lot easier, sure, but overall playing a game means, that you want to play a game and not just... buy you gear from AH and that's it.

FF14 got no borrowed power system, since FF14 simply got no power at all. You simply have item level and yes, that item level becomes worthless every eight monthes. Beside this there simply is nothing. And I can't say that I like that, because, well, an MMORPG that wants me to pay a monthly fee should also give me content for that. And in case of FF14 it even forced me to pay that fee, because I had one of the first mansions and would simply lose it. They chained me to subscription with that, while I hoped, the game would get better again, but at some point, after many of my friends already left, even losing the mansion I had for eight years and put quite some time into, wasn't good enough anymore.

I hoped for YEARS, that FF14 would improve - instead it got way worse regarding content with ShB (let's not talk about story...), simply because it got less and less and they did not fix the problems.

I wished the had put any effort into improving it, even if it would be another one of those many failures the game had like Diadem or all the problems with Eureka. But at least it was content. (and yes, it was content that became absolute miningless with the expansion).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    That's not really accurate, since item level resets and catch-up each expansion does the exact same thing for alts and new players.

The thing about borrowed power is that it's often just a grind to get back things that you had three expansions ago and keep losing. You'd have some effect that used to be a talent, got removed, tacked onto a legendary in Legion, removed in BfA, added as an Azerite effect, removed in Shadowlands, added as a legendary again, and so on.

It never feels like you're getting cool new things anymore, you're just grinding to get the same crap back each time. I remember being really excited to see new class abilities in BC and Wrath, for example. You just don't get much of that anymore.
    Sorry, but if you don't like it, you really should just not play it.

I explained the problem, when you don't want to accept it - that's your problem.

Again: In FF14 you simply have NOTHING in that place. You just got your pure stats gear and this decays in worth just as much. You don't lose anything, because you simply don't get anything.

And even regarding skills we already got cut down. Was pretty shit and there was NO replacement. So we just lost power - and couldn't even get it back.

Especially healers still LOVE it and complain about it since meanwhile years - without Square caring at all.

Many of us WISHED to have something to work on, to have content to play.

When you don't like that - well... good/bad for you, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriamel105 View Post
    FF14 got no borrowed power system, since FF14 simply got no power at all. You simply have item level and yes, that item level becomes worthless every eight monthes. Beside this there simply is nothing. And I can't say that I like that, because, well, an MMORPG that wants me to pay a monthly fee should also give me content for that. And in case of FF14 it even forced me to pay that fee, because I had one of the first mansions and would simply lose it. They chained me to subscription with that, while I hoped, the game would get better again, but at some point, after many of my friends already left, even losing the mansion I had for eight years and put quite some time into, wasn't good enough anymore.
    I'm honestly curious how much content you have actually done if "losing ilvl" is something you care about every 8 months. My main focus is ultimates and savages when relevant, and ilvl doesnt actually matter when doing these things cause you have to learn these convoluted fights, and it isnt about the gear, its about beating something so difficult really. For savages, content that ffxiv lets you out gear eventually, you still have to learn some of the mechanics like 2xpacs later no matter what the ilvl is at the time. Ultimates still force you to learn basically every single mechanic(we dont count uwu) minus like LB cheesing a single one in ucob, tea and dsr are going to require you to know every single mechanic forever cause I really dont see either of those getting cheesed much in the future due to the nature of how they work.

To me, its about the experience more than the "increasing my character power" but to each their own?

I wished the had put any effort into improving it, even if it would be another one of those many failures the game had like Diadem or all the problems with Eureka. But at least it was content. (and yes, it was content that became absolute miningless with the expansion).
    O.o Eureka is still something people enjoy the hell out of to this day, you better watch out, the Eureka lovers will eat you alive for insulting their baby lol. It is, once again, about the experience more than gear these days regarding the place so idk.

FF14 was quite a bit like WoW (just less choices), because overall Square copy pasted a lot from WoW to save their game and company.

Sad enough after that the got azy and cut it down brutally.

When FF14 started, you got the jobe with being advancement of two other classes and you could get certain skill of these classes as cross skills into your job.

They first reduced that to "job skills" and then just cut it out completely, so now every Paladin is like every other Paladin, no choices left at all.

I mean AAR and early heavensward yea, it was a mild wow clone, but these days its nothing like the game so not sure what you are on about. It has def branched out and turned into its own mmo since re-release in aar. As for choice, i do agree, I wish there was a bit more fluidity in how you can play a class but even in wow, ideal talent sets take over for min/maxing so there isnt really a choice in wow either, just an illusion /shrug.

Most sad part is, how little they made out of the idea of being able to have all job on one character. In ARR times I was actually one of few who had them all on top, what was made much more easier, but what's exactly the point, when the time gating does not let you equip them well?

If they would give it any though, they would have created something like relict armor, that switches with your you weapon for example, so people who actually car for having mutliple jobs could indeed work with that.

The relic grind only matters late xpac as raid weapons will be bis, generally, and by that late, if you kept up with it through the xpac, you should be able to make multiples pretty easily. Hell, to your borrowed power idea, these weapons are bis for old ultimates and get used by all the ultimate parsers forever, and only get replaced by the next xpac's relic weapon. ffxiv is pretty easy to gear multiple classes even if you are just party findering all the raids each tier as you get to roll on gear AND get tokens to trade in for gear, eventually, every kill. You just aren't going to have like bis for every class in a month. Last tier i was done with 3 classes within like 8 weeks and was bored af with nothing to do. So i don't really get this complaint. If you don't do content though and just gear through tombstones, yea, its slow as shit, but whats the fun in that xD.
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2022-09-08 at 06:05 PM.

Sorry, but if you don't like it, you really should just not play it.

I explained the problem, when you don't want to accept it - that's your problem.

Again: In FF14 you simply have NOTHING in that place. You just got your pure stats gear and this decays in worth just as much. You don't lose anything, because you simply don't get anything.

And even regarding skills we already got cut down. Was pretty shit and there was NO replacement. So we just lost power - and couldn't even get it back.

Especially healers still LOVE it and complain about it since meanwhile years - without Square caring at all.

Many of us WISHED to have something to work on, to have content to play.

When you don't like that - well... good/bad for you, I guess.
    It's okay to not have to play 24/7.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moralgy View Post
    To me, its about the experience more than the "increasing my character power" but to each their own?
    Same. Even in my raiding days in WoW I never really cared about some lame stats and got more excited about the looks. :'D
    Beyond appearance, gear was just a tool I needed in order to be ready to take on the next boss.

As such, I disliked farming bosses we already killed. So boring.

So, I started playing in December of last year, a couple months (I believe) into Endwalker. This past week, I hit 90 on my last job. Including crafters, and BLU to 70.

Now that I'm at cap with everything, what do y'all do in FFXIV on a day-to-day basis (if anything at all)?

Once I get my 450 tomes of causality a week (which seems to be done with one set of roulettes on Tuesday + normal Abyssos circles 5-8), I can't see a reason to do duty roulettes as aphorism tomes seem fairly useless, except to practice jobs I don't usually play. And even then, only level 90 duty roulettes seem useful, because MSQ is such a limited kit that it doesn't feel worth while. Raid prep doesn't require much at all, and organized statics usally don't require a lot of play time past a first few initial weeks.

I'm thinking of doing the relic weapon grinds - I've already bought all the ingredients requiring poetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    It's okay to not have to play 24/7.
    This. I find it so funny how hooked people get that they want some sort of grind to keep them no-lifing the game.
    They exist. But, they are optional.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    So, I started playing in December of last year, a couple months (I believe) into Endwalker. This past week, I hit 90 on my last job. Including crafters, and BLU to 70.

Now that I'm at cap with everything, what do y'all do in FFXIV on a day-to-day basis (if anything at all)?

Once I get my 450 tomes of causality a week (which seems to be done with one set of roulettes on Tuesday + normal Abyssos circles 5-8), I can't see a reason to do duty roulettes as aphorism tomes seem fairly useless, except to practice jobs I don't usually play. And even then, only level 90 duty roulettes seem useful, because MSQ is such a limited kit that it doesn't feel worth while. Raid prep doesn't require much at all, and organized statics usally don't require a lot of play time past a first few initial weeks.

I'm thinking of doing the relic weapon grinds - I've already bought all the ingredients requiring poetics.
    Get involved in learning an ulti and you will stay busy for months. Uwu is the good one to start with, it shouldnt take more than 3-4 weeks of PFing it to complete, and gives you a taste of what is to come with ucob and tea. DSR is a different monster though.

Work on an alt and pf the savage tier and out prog your static, since i assume you have one since you mentioned it.

Eureka, grind old mounts out, basically just older content in general.

Personally I pug some raids, maybe cap out my tomestones if I can be bothered, then log off for the week.

It's not a game that sucks up huge amounts of my free time and that works just fine for me.

I only log in to do a new seasonal event quest. I sometimes dabble in Gold Saucer minigames or PvP. Otherwise I'm waiting until the next drip of story in December. Currently replaying GW2's story (just finished Path of Fire so I'm a little over half way through), hoping to beat it before Dragonflight comes out.